PDA

View Full Version : current color deficiency standards

gmanflyarmy
10-28-2010, 19:59
Hey, looked around the site. Didn't find any RECENT posts on color deficiency or color "blindness"...and I am led to believe there are many who are looking for this info. This is in regards to color vision:

A while ago at MEPS I've scored 3/14 on the PIP test. Absolutely failed it. But they determined I am green deficient. I did this through the Air Force, as I originally intended to do USAF Special Operations. They denied me no questions asked. Despite looking for alternative means of getting in, there was nothing in my power I could do. So I've been looking into the Army's 18X program. I talked to my recruiter and my physical scores are great. My conditioning is awesome, but still getting there. 82 on ASVAB. Everything good but the fucking vision. He said that may be an issue. In response, I presented him the following, which is from AR 40-501, page 52:

"...(4) For Airborne and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para
4–2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological
Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT)...."

Now how is this interpreted?...my recruiter didn't know what to make of it. Is there a another test?...a vivid red/vivid green test? Because if there is, I am confident I can identify red from green. Because remember, I'm color deficient, not color blind. Any info on this would inform so many.

And for the record, I never took the FALANT test. Could that be the "vivid red/green test"?

But believe me, I can identify colors just as good as anyone...it's just those damn number charts. I can honestly say I wouldn't endanger someone's life in a firefight or something. Not only that, but it's said color deficient people supposedly aren't as easily fooled by camouflage. I am absolutely confident I can identify different colored-tips on 40mm rounds and different color smoke flares. I've even looked through NVG's before... and onto darkened documents illuminated by red light filters. No problems. Doesn't make any sense. Even if there is vision issue, at least let me prove it during SFAS. But according to that excerpt, there still may be hope. Can anyone enlighten me?

The Reaper
10-28-2010, 20:11
You should have looked around some more, and read the rules and stickies.

Yes, several others have the same question, which they have asked and we have answered here.

Best of luck.

TR

Ambush Master
10-28-2010, 21:21
You should have looked around some more, and read the rules and stickies.

Yes, several others have the same question, which they have asked and we have answered here.

Best of luck.

TR

Dude!! You just got cut some MAJOR SLACK!!!

Your FIRST POST should have been in the Introduction Thread only AFTER you filled out your Profile!!!

Get it right or ye'be GONE!!

Later
Martin

Snaquebite
10-28-2010, 21:32
I think TR is getting soft.

ZonieDiver
10-28-2010, 21:51
I think TR is getting soft.

Why do I hear the voice of John Wayne, as Ethan Edwards in "The Searchers," saying - "That'll be the day!" :D

gmanflyarmy
10-29-2010, 08:48
My apologies if I posted wrong. Just want to get to the bottom of this. If no one can answer my question, is there any specific threads I should look at? I've already read a lot of them

Snaquebite
10-29-2010, 10:17
Try reading the e-mail you received when you signed up at this site and follow the instructions you were given. Do not post again until that is done.

The Reaper
10-29-2010, 10:44
My apologies if I posted wrong. Just want to get to the bottom of this. If no one can answer my question, is there any specific threads I should look at? I've already read a lot of them

Here is one you should probably read more thoroughly.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3452

TR

wet dog
10-29-2010, 11:27
Opening statement: Fail

Tone of language and demeanor: Fail - not it our house, never again

Complete disregard for policy and rules, failure to follow simple instructions

But believe me, I can identify colors just as good as anyone...it's just those damn number charts. I can honestly say I wouldn't endanger someone's life in a firefight or something. Not only that, but it's said color deficient people supposedly aren't as easily fooled by camouflage. I am absolutely confident I can identify different colored-tips on 40mm rounds and different color smoke flares. I've even looked through NVG's before... and onto darkened documents illuminated by red light filters. No problems. Doesn't make any sense. Even if there is vision issue, at least let me prove it during SFAS. But according to that excerpt, there still may be hope. Can anyone enlighten me?

Then allow me to enlighten you....

Don't assume you can identify colors as "good" as anyone else. The word you're looking for is "well", but then again, I would'nt expect someone who is obviously taking a knee-jerk reaction to understand that, knowing, only ends with a self inflicted black eye, ouch!

The ... "damn number charts" are made for a reason. Seems they worked in outing you, revealing you character in facing opposition or difficulty.

You say you "wouldn't endanger someone's life in a firefight or something", I'm beginning to question that, in fact, I'm sure you would, leaving me to wonder why I'm replying to a thread, I'm sure will never be read or understood by you.

I'm not going to make comments regarding your statements of camouflage, 40mm rounds, smoke, or NVGs. In fact, I hope you never are placed in a position to be near such weapons or equipment until such time your GT score is well above 127, and a curtian level of maturity is obtained.

I will now let others more "enlightened" than I, to continue the dialogue of this thread.

I will remain a humble servant of my team, "holding fast the corner" closely watching for smoke, knowing what order the 40mm grenades are secured without looking for colored tips. I also will change radio freq. channels without the aid of red-filtered lens, or missing boundry lines on the seven colored issued maps.

Wet Dog

gmanflyarmy
11-02-2010, 05:17
Right. I will do better. Thanks for tolerating people like me.

gmanflyarmy
12-03-2010, 14:13
The wisdom I received on the matter:

"I am red-green color deficient. I have never been able to pass any color vision test given but for the one that matters. I can see color just like you and can pass the vivid red/vivid green test. They're going to have you look into a little machine and you'll see a rectangle with one side red and one side green. Identify which is which and you're good to go.

My whole career is filled with physicals where block 66 reads "Color Vision (Test used and result): PIP 10/14 - FAILED" but the block that counts (block 59)says "RED/GREEN (Army Only) - Vivid Red/Green PASS"

You have nothing to worry about for Army SOF.

Next time search more and follow the instructions you were given upon registering though. These guys don't take kindly to people who don't follow instructions and neither will your instructors should you elect to pursue an 18X option."