PDA

View Full Version : William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Masochist
11-19-2010, 16:33
I just watched the REAL Taken and I couldn't enjoy a minute of it. Not because it was a bad movie (I plan to watch it again after some PT), but because I kept thinking of this @ssclown. :mad:

Thank you all for making another poser known to the world. Sadly it seems as soon as one case is brought to light on here, another one pops up.

IwakuniMarine
11-19-2010, 22:08
http://www.kcba.com/Global/story.asp?S=13540374

IwakuniMarine
11-19-2010, 22:12
This is video from a local news network on the Hillar story.

http://www.kcba.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=5312234&at1=News&h1=Former M.I.I.S. Instructor Accused Of Being A Fraud&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Team Sergeant
11-19-2010, 22:16

You are the man.

PSM
11-19-2010, 22:22
You are the man.

Nice try. YOU ARE THE MAN! Congrats, TS.

Pat

Masochist
11-19-2010, 22:35
Next time I'm out west, beers for both of you. Congrats on your hard work.

T-Rock
11-19-2010, 22:50
YOU ARE THE MAN! Congrats, TS.

As much as I hate reality shows, you guys ought to market a reality show busting posers. It would definitely be one that LOTS of folks would watch….way better than “Survivor” :D

If you do, I nominate Gavin Degraw’s “I don’t want to be” for the theme song :D
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFCW3PHBws

Masochist
11-19-2010, 22:57
I wonder how many hits YouTube has gotten from this site. Like Apple has an "app for that" there seems to be a video for every new thread.

wet dog
11-19-2010, 23:13
As much as I hate reality shows, you guys ought to market a reality show busting posers. It would definitely be one that LOTS of folks would watch….way better than “Survivor” :D

If you do, I nominate Gavin Degraw’s “I don’t want to be” for the theme song :D
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFCW3PHBws

Or Nickelback's, "I wanna be a rock star". We would have to change the lyrics to properly fit the life posers would have to live after they're outted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNf2oPNo4k

T-Rock
11-19-2010, 23:32
Or Nickelback's, "I wanna be a rock star".

How bout this one :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSlqI1AVUk :D

wet dog
11-19-2010, 23:34
How bout this one :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSlqI1AVUk :D

T-Rock.....

you rock, that's too damn funny.

Masochist
11-19-2010, 23:41
Laughing out loud while having scary mental images of a "chick" in ponytails with chin hair. Thanks T-Rock :p

rdret1
11-20-2010, 01:17
This is video from a local news network on the Hillar story.

http://www.kcba.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=5312234&at1=News&h1=Former M.I.I.S. Instructor Accused Of Being A Fraud&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Looks like Mr. Hubbs and his MIIS buddies did all the leg work and not TS. You would think they would of at least mentioned where they got the information to begin with.

Hillar is getting buried deeper than a Chilean miner with NO hope of rescue though.

JJ_BPK
11-20-2010, 04:59
I contacted Larry and he's going to change it

I also sent Larry an email at 4:30PM,,
still hasn't changed the verbiage...

http://www.montereyherald.com/news/ci_16656500

MIIS probes lecturer's credentials, Website raises questions about military background, By LARRY PARSONS, Herald Staff Writer, Posted: 11/19/2010 01:29:59 AM PST
Updated: 11/19/2010 08:49:59 AM PST

quote"Questions about the accuracy of Hillar's military record were raised on a Web chat site called Professional Soldiers, which describes itself as being owned and operated by "quiet professionals and ... dedicated to the Special Services soldier." "

Larry

I would like to point out a small error in your article..

Special Services handles the pop-corn machines at the Army base movie theaters....

Special Forces is a branch in the US Army.

A short speech by JFK at the USMA graduation, June 6th, 1962.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVrpiG7haE

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_%28United_States_Army%29

Special Forces (United States Army)

The United States Army Special Forces, also known as the Green Berets because of their distinctive service headgear, are a special operations force of the United States Army tasked with six primary missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, special reconnaissance, direct action, hostage rescue, and counter-terrorism. The first two emphasize language, cultural, and training skills in working with foreign troops. Other duties include combat search and rescue (CSAR), security assistance, peacekeeping, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian demining, counter-proliferation, psychological operations, manhunts, and counter-drug operations; other components of the United States Special Operations Command or other U.S. government activities may also specialize in these secondary areas.[2] Many of their operational techniques are classified, but some nonfiction works[3] and doctrinal manuals are available.[4][5][6] The original and most important mission of the Special Forces had been "unconventional warfare", while other capabilities, such as direct action, were gradually added. Their official motto is De oppresso liber (Latin: To Liberate the Oppressed), a reference to one of their primary missions, training and advising foreign indigenous forces.[7]

continued...

The rest of your article was good.

De Oppresso Liber

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 10:36
Looks like Mr. Hubbs and his MIIS buddies did all the leg work and not TS. You would think they would of at least mentioned where they got the information to begin with.

Hillar is getting buried deeper than a Chilean miner with NO hope of rescue though.

Mr. Hubbs worked with me on this story.
He's taking the MIIS part and running with it, I'm taking the "National" part and running with that.;)

Larry Parsons doesn't strike me as one that likes to do his research, or read very well for that matter.....

Corrections/ Clarifications
The Monterey County Herald
Posted: 11/20/2010 01:30:27 AM PST
Updated: 11/20/2010 01:30:28 AM PST

The website Professional Soldiers describes itself as being dedicated to "the Special Forces Soldier." An inaccurate description of the site was carried in a page A1 story Friday about a lecturer at the Monterey Institute of International Studies.

____

In the interest of accuracy and fairness, it is The Herald's policy to correct factual errors and clarify misleading statements. To request/suggest a correction or clarification, please e-mail

corrections@montereyherald.com

or call 646-4354.
http://www.montereyherald.com/corrections/ci_16666533

Bigger news is coming.

Team Sergeant

Jgood
11-20-2010, 10:43
Great Job Guys I love this thread lol

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 11:01
http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_16666562?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 11:07

Good job, keep in the fight.

There's a few more articles that are about to surface.:munchin

In the last few days I've spoken to quite a few reporters, none have been able to contact william g hillar.

I'd give a dollar to know "where" bill hillar is hiding....

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 11:16
Monterey Instructor Accused of Fraud, Claims to be Action Movie Inspiration
Posted: Nov 19, 2010 7:20 PM MST
Updated: Nov 19, 2010 8:31 PM MST
Video Gallery
Former M.I.I.S. Instructor Accused Of Being A Fraud
4:41
MONTEREY, Calif.- Bill Hillar claimed to serve across the globe, as a green beret. He taught at major institutions, across the country. Friday, a local student is calling him a fraud saying Hillar has tricked people for years.

Bill Hillar lectured at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Students say, he even claims the movie TAKEN is loosely based on his life.
Students here at MIIS were excited to be taking a sex trafficking course from a renowned expert, a special forces army colonel, but they said all they got were a bunch of lies, and they have the proof to back it up.

"I heard nothing but good things about him, everybody raved about his courses, he was in special forces, teaches a course on tactical counter terrorism and he tells the most amazing stories," said Brian Hubbs.

But that's just it, now Hubbs is coming forward for the first time saying his one time instructor Bill Hillar was telling stories that never happened. For instance, Hubbs says Hillar claimed to be inspiration for the film TAKEN where a former government operative's daughter is kidnapped and forced into sex trafficking.

Hubbs says for students in one class, "The dominant story he mentioned that she was murdered in Bornio, but in the human trafficking class that I took he said she was murdered in Mexico City...He seemed very passionate there were times when he was tearing up in class," said Hubbs.

When the students researched the movie's writer they say they learned TAKEN was based on a Paris police officer. Bill Hillar wasn't mentioned.

The movie inconsistency wasn't the only thing that caused Hubbs and a handful of students to start researching Hillar's claims.

Hubbs, a former Marine vet, said what bothered him the most were the stories about Hillar being high atop the army's chain of command.

"He specifically said I'm retired army colonel, special forces, Delta Force took part in all these operations," saiod Hubbs.

Hubbs tracked down documentation that shows Hillar was in the Coast Guard reserves, but there is no record of him in the army or any type of special forces.

"it just became more clear that things weren't adding up, things weren't right, but the only problem is he only teaches one class in the spring one in the fall, so he's not around."

Hubbs and the other students took their concerns to the school's administration.

"We take it very seriously. We want to be diligent and thorough in the research we are doing to understand the facts," said Jason Warburg, the Communications Director at MIIS.

The next question you may be asking: What is the protocol for a background check? The school says Hillar was a contracted instructor.

"It's a different process. A more informal process," said Warburg.

So what is Hillar saying about all this? That's the problem. Hubbs and the school both say they've tried to contact him. So far, the only thing they can track down is the P.O. Box office he has in Carmel, a shutdown website, and voicemail from the man who they say was once their trusted instructor.

Central Coast News has also reached out to Hillar, but has yet to hear from him. Check back on www.kionrightnow.com for updates.

Submitted by Central Coast News reporter Brooke Holmquist.

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 11:17
Human Trafficking Hero…or FRAUD?
Nov 20 2010

By Anthony M. Davis

About a week ago I received an email from a woman I know in the Pacific Northwest. Last year I interviewed her for my upcoming book on Human Trafficking. I trust her intuition since she knows about trafficking…she was a trafficking victim for five years. In her email she asked me what I thought of a man named Bill Hillar. According to the email, some believe he is a fraud. I explained that I hadn’t heard of him but would certainly look into it. It didn’t take too long to find this man has a questionable history. Fortunately, my work was made easier by some who had already taken up the mission to discover who he really is.

Bill Hillar claims he is retired U.S. Army Special Forces Colonel. He also claims the movie, “Taken” is based upon his own life story when his daughter was kidnapped, forced into trafficking and then murdered. Using this story he established himself as a expert and began a teaching/public speaking business. There’s good money in public speaking…it’s just important if the words are true.

Paperwork obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) shows there is “No Record” of his affiliation with the Army. (Click this link to see the Army letter). The next question is whether he has any military service. Once again, using information through FOIA records it shows he served as a U.S. Coast Guard Reservist from 1962 to 1970. (see link here.) Given that, the question continues. Did Bill Hillar actually claim these things or did someone say that he presented himself as a US Army Colonel?

Bill Hillar maintained a website (www.billhillartraining.com). Yet, around the time that people began questioning his status as either a hero or a liar, his website was taken down. Yet, once on the Internet…always on the Internet. This link is an archive of his biography from his website. Looking further, it appears that he had Elon University scammed into believing his story. On November 12th, he was honored by the university as a “Hometown Hero” by being a person that “makes a difference.” Here is a link to the Elon University story. It’s clear that Bill Hillar presented himself as someone other than who he actually is.

Over the years, Hillar developed a good business over the years teaching and speaking. He lives in Carmel, California…not a cheap living. Here is a list of public corporations, universities, agencies and businesses that Bill Hillar claims to have as clients. These are companies with funds able to pay well for speaking and training events. (See link here.) Additionally, he lists a variety of law enforcement clients. It’s usually a bad idea to defraud anyone. Yet, when you stand before law enforcement professionals who are paid with limited public funding and defraud them…that’s really dumb. Given that these training sessions were paid for with public funds, all of us become victims as our taxes subsidized his income. (Here’s the link to law enforcement and other high risk clients.)

So…what about the murdered daughter? I know that Hillar established an essay award in the name of his dead daughter, Sale Hillar. More information about the award, including a chance to read two well-written essays by contestants are are available HERE. If Hillar’s daughter was a trafficking victim, that’s a horrible thing. Yet, while I’ve not verified it yet, it appears that his daughter may be alive and well in North Carolina.

His students at the Monterey Institute of International Studies feel cheated and rightfully so. We live in a world where our young adults should have legitimate mentors, willing to guide them to a life of success – not show them that those who stood before them telling (and showing emotion) during his stories are liars. Yesterday the news story broke in California. (Click HERE for the story and news video.)

It’s too early to say how this will end. Yet, I would not be surprised to see it snowball into a complete web of lies. Last year I had the privilege to help expose a “Medal of Honor” fraud. In that case the individual continued changing his story and resume as he was challenged. His educational bonafides changed with the weather and it was eventually turned over to authorities. My guess is this case will operate along a similar path of deceit.

Because he has not been charged or convicted, we can’t legally call the man a fraud. Yet, the facts are clear as we know them. I contacted him for an interview. I’ve had no reply. If charged, this man could obviously face fraud charges. Additionally, if proven that funds obtained through fraudulent activities purchased property of any tangible value that could open the doors to money laundering or conspiracy if tied with any accomplice and ultimately asset forfeiture and incarceration.

If the allegations are proven true, this man will have earned a living on the backs of those millions of victims each year that suffer as slaves in the sex and labor trades. Shameful.

http://notrafficking.com/2010/11/human-trafficking-hero-or-fraud/

wet dog
11-20-2010, 11:19
He's gone to ground, hiding under a rock. Known associates, family maybe?

LOE could commense with 'money watch'.

Here's an idea, all posers could join a 12 step program with each other. Maybe get organized, support each other when they're outted.

"Hi, my name is William G. Hillar, I have a problem, I've been caught".

"Welcome Bill, sorry to hear about that. What are you going to do? Re-invent yourself?".

I suggest a Real Estate titile search in his name.

Pete
11-20-2010, 11:21

"...........So he re-lived other soldiers experiences and sounds like he did a great job getting his point across in his teachings. He got your attention and you learned. Isn't that all teachers do anyway try and teach you history or other experencies......."

The poster is from CA. What else can you expect?

rdret1
11-20-2010, 11:22
I wonder if any of the educational institutions will end up filing obtaining property by false pretense charges on him, as well as the LE and military organizations he has "taught." That could add up to some serious felony charges. Maybe even some interstate commerce violations?

Snaquebite

He entered Tehran disguised as a German tourist in advance of the failed helicopter rescue mission during the 1979-81 embassy hostage crisis.

This gets better and better....

Team Sergeant
He's gone to ground, hiding under a rock. Known associates, family maybe?

LOE could commense with 'money watch'.

Here's an idea, all posers could join a 12 step program with each other. Maybe get organized, support each other when they're outted.

"Hi, my name is William G. Hillar, I have a problem, I've been caught".
"Welcome Bill, sorry to hear about that. What are you going to do? Re-invent yourself?".

That should read "Hi, my name is William G. Hillar, I have a problem, I've been caught by the "Green Berets".

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 11:24
He entered Tehran disguised as a German tourist in advance of the failed helicopter rescue mission during the 1979-81 embassy hostage crisis.

This gets better and better....

Funny that, I've heard a very similar story...... 'cept the one I heard was true.

TrapLine
11-20-2010, 11:24

Team Sergeant

I thought you might have him tied up in a shed somewhere:D. Something tells me he will not be able to hide from you long.

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 11:29
"Our records show he didn't receive the degree"
after being in a doctoral program in health from
1970 to 1973, said university spokesman Joe
Mosley.

Interesting because he was supposed to be in Laos with his "A-Team" at that time, according to audio I have on his lecture. Maybe he was watching the A-Team on tv and got confused.

Snaquebite
11-20-2010, 11:30

I'd like to see the results of that....

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 11:50
Below is what the "Monterey Institute of International Studies" had on it's website concerning bill hillar, below is the google "cache" :

This is Google's cache of http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/npts/faculty/node/982. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Oct 28, 2010 03:20:36 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more

William Hillar
Adjunct Professor

William G. (Bill) Hillar is a retired Colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces. He has served in Asia, the Middle East, and Central and South America, where his diverse training and experiences included tactical counterterrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine and psychological warfare. His military experience led him not only to cross-train and serve with Special Forces from allied countries, but also to advise governments and military organizations in several foreign nations. He holds a B.A. in Psychology, M.A. in Education, a Ph.D. in Health Education, and an honorary doctorate in Intercultural Relations.

Though he works primarily with law enforcement, firefighters, and other first responder organizations where quick reaction and rapid recovery are essential for survival, he also leads many workshops and courses at colleges and universities in the areas of Human Trafficking, International Terrorism, Security Careers (Intelligence Community), Transnational Drug Smuggling, and International Crime.

Expertise
Tactical counter-terrorism; explosive ordnance; emergency medicine; psychological warfare; first responder trainingEducation
Ph.D, Health Education; Honorary Doctorate, Intercultural Relations; MA, Education; BA, Psychology

Courses
Courses offered in the past four years.
▲ indicates offered in the current term
▹ indicates offered in the upcoming term[s]

WKSH 8542 - Tactical Counterterrorism ▹

Spring 2010 - MIIS, Spring 2011 - MIIS

More Information »

WKSH 8549 - Wks:Human Trafficking ▲

This workshop will provide the student with a comprehensive understanding of global human trafficking. In addition to an overview of the global issues we will examine causes, costs, political and other means of reducing the problem, and ways to personally impact this world-wide disgrace and disregard for human dignity.

Fall 2009 - MIIS, Fall 2010 - MIIS

More Information »

Tags:
•Terrorism Studies
•IPS
•NPTS
•MA in Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies
◦Curriculum
◦Faculty
◦Certificate Options
◦Monterey Terrorism Research and Education Program (MonTREP)
◦James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS)
Contact Us

Monterey Institute of International Studies
A Graduate School of Middlebury College
460 Pierce St
Monterey, CA 93940
Quick Links

Monterey Instructor Accused of Fraud, Claims to be Action Movie Inspiration
Posted: Nov 19, 2010 7:20 PM MST
Updated: Nov 19, 2010 8:31 PM MST
Video Gallery
Former M.I.I.S. Instructor Accused Of Being A Fraud
4:41
MONTEREY, Calif.- Bill Hillar claimed to serve across the globe, as a green beret. He taught at major institutions, across the country. Friday, a local student is calling him a fraud saying Hillar has tricked people for years.

Bill Hillar lectured at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Students say, he even claims the movie TAKEN is loosely based on his life.
Students here at MIIS were excited to be taking a sex trafficking course from a renowned expert, a special forces army colonel, but they said all they got were a bunch of lies, and they have the proof to back it up.

"I heard nothing but good things about him, everybody raved about his courses, he was in special forces, teaches a course on tactical counter terrorism and he tells the most amazing stories," said Brian Hubbs.

But that's just it, now Hubbs is coming forward for the first time saying his one time instructor Bill Hillar was telling stories that never happened. For instance, Hubbs says Hillar claimed to be inspiration for the film TAKEN where a former government operative's daughter is kidnapped and forced into sex trafficking.

Hubbs says for students in one class, "The dominant story he mentioned that she was murdered in Bornio, but in the human trafficking class that I took he said she was murdered in Mexico City...He seemed very passionate there were times when he was tearing up in class," said Hubbs.

When the students researched the movie's writer they say they learned TAKEN was based on a Paris police officer. Bill Hillar wasn't mentioned.

The movie inconsistency wasn't the only thing that caused Hubbs and a handful of students to start researching Hillar's claims.

Hubbs, a former Marine vet, said what bothered him the most were the stories about Hillar being high atop the army's chain of command.

"He specifically said I'm retired army colonel, special forces, Delta Force took part in all these operations," saiod Hubbs.

Hubbs tracked down documentation that shows Hillar was in the Coast Guard reserves, but there is no record of him in the army or any type of special forces.

"it just became more clear that things weren't adding up, things weren't right, but the only problem is he only teaches one class in the spring one in the fall, so he's not around."

Hubbs and the other students took their concerns to the school's administration.

"We take it very seriously. We want to be diligent and thorough in the research we are doing to understand the facts," said Jason Warburg, the Communications Director at MIIS.

The next question you may be asking: What is the protocol for a background check? The school says Hillar was a contracted instructor."It's a different process. A more informal process," said Warburg.

So what is Hillar saying about all this? That's the problem. Hubbs and the school both say they've tried to contact him. So far, the only thing they can track down is the P.O. Box office he has in Carmel, a shutdown website, and voicemail from the man who they say was once their trusted instructor.

Central Coast News has also reached out to Hillar, but has yet to hear from him. Check back on www.kionrightnow.com for updates.

Submitted by Central Coast News reporter Brooke Holmquist.

Funny that, MIIS had hillar listed, no, they ADVERTISED BILL HILLAR as an "Adjunct Professor".

And now Jason Warburg is stating "for the record" that william g hillar was only a "contractor".

Mr. Warburg, you may fool the young adults at MIIS but you're not fooling me. Re-titling or demoting bill hillar to "contractor" is not going to mitigate your schools responsibilities in a court of law.

Mr. Warburg, your school needs to accept responsibility for hiring a FRAUD, giving him the title of "Adjunct Professor" and displaying/advertising him like a three headed snake.

Let us know when the Monterey Institute of International Studies fires the individual responsible for hiring the liar and fraud bill hillar.

Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces (ret)

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 12:00
That claim that he wasn't an adjunct professor is a load of crap. Bill even mentions it in the audio that I have, the he's an adjunct professor. This is a game the administration is playing to try an absolve themselves of any wrongdoing by not checking his background. You can only play Russian Resolute so many times before your luck runs out and for MIIS, the round finally made its way into the chamber.

Snaquebite
11-20-2010, 12:03
They're playing with words and tap dancing on this only because "adjunct professors" are generally "contracted".

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 12:05

Just an FYI, I commented on this article and my comments and one others that I quoted have been deleted from montereyherald.com.

I guess the montereyherald.com believes in censure.

Larry Parsons & the montereyherald.com consider this a dis-invite for any further information concerning bill hillar.

Snaquebite
11-20-2010, 12:09
Noticed my comment is gone too.

Followed up with this post...

Wonders why the Herald is deleting relative and pertinent posts to this article....

The Reaper
11-20-2010, 12:11
Good job, keep in the fight.

There's a few more articles that are about to surface.:munchin

In the last few days I've spoken to quite a few reporters, none have been able to contact william g hillar.

Team Sergeant

If there is any justice, he's been kidnapped and forced into the sex trade.

I find it interesting that the articles mention nothing about TS or PS.com's discovery of this fraud, or the efforts to resolve it. From their articles, the media seem to be the only participants in this exposee.

I guess exposing Bill Hillar's fraud and his termination because of it will have to be sufficient reward.

TR

GratefulCitizen
11-20-2010, 12:19
When looking at what has happened with this story specifically, and this site in general over the years, it is truly amazing.

Concerning the force-multiplication capabilities of Special Forces soldiers:
I stand in awe.

JJ_BPK
11-20-2010, 12:40
There is even a guy on FB yelling about Hillar

:eek::lifter:eek:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/JJ.BPK

:D

Snaquebite
11-20-2010, 13:23
There is even a guy on FB yelling about Hillar

:eek::lifter:eek:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/JJ.BPK

He's a member here...not sure of the screen name.

JJ_BPK ?

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 14:01
Just an FYI, I commented on this article and my comments and one others that I quoted have been deleted from montereyherald.com.

I guess the montereyherald.com believes in censure.

Larry Parsons & the montereyherald.com consider this a dis-invite for any further information concerning bill hillar.

Someone is reading Professionalsoldiers.com. The montereyherald.com have now replaced the "deleted" comments, and now they are out of order.......;)

The "bad" word I used that was censured: SCUMBAG

I know I know, children could be reading this.......:rolleyes:

I guess in Monetery there are eight words you cannot use and scumbag is one of them.

TS

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/monterey-county-herald/TI9M1HQK64Q9P68A0

Monterey County HeraldForum & Polls

Questions raised about military background of MIIS lecturer
Full story: Monterey County Herald

The Monterey Institute of International Studies is investigating the background of lecturer Bill Hillar, a reputed expert in human trafficking and counterterrorism.
Vote Now to WIN an Olympic experience trip!
Chicago 2016 "Why Chicago Video Contest"
www.chicago2016.org

Read

9 Comments
More Monterey County Herald Discussions »

Email me Monterey County Herald news. Learn more
See all Monterey County Herald discussions »
Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9 Tony
Monterey, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

I was actually in Special Forces and I am getting sick and tired of hearing about phonies getting into higher paying jobs with their lies. This guy is one of many.
michelle
Eugene, OR
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

I work for the U/O and his masters and Ph.D. were verified and his most current address isn't in Carmel.
Explorer Dad
Oakland, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

A padded resume' is just like a padded bra. Once the cover is off, you're left exposed...and everyone else is disappointed.
dave
Salinas, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

Not big enough name for the gossip magiznes I guess. Hearld had to jump on this.
welldoyapunk
Monterey, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

Everyone knows this area is a very LOW PROFILE hotbed of training the next CIA.
Panetta is from here, raised here, ex-congressmen here and now head of the CIA.
DLI is here. trains the best is the armed forces by ex-spies and those who are now working for US.
MIIS is big on international policy degrees, attracts students from all over the world.
TED is held here.

So having a guy like this teach students is perfect.
Not a poser
Fayetteville, NC
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

I look forward to reading more on this developing story.
Koban
Pacific Grove, CA
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
18 hrs ago Judged:

michelle wrote:
I work for the U/O and his masters and Ph.D. were verified and his most current address isn't in Carmel.
I really doubt that. This guy is Toast.

Here is where most of this started by the way:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/sh...
Jeff Hinton
Phoenix, AZ
Reply »
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
2 hrs ago Judged:

Koban wrote:
<quoted text> I really doubt that. This guy is Toast.
Here is where most of this started by the way:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/sh...
Koban,
You are correct, Professionalsoldiers.com exposed the liar and fraud william g hillar on 28 Oct 2010. The rest how we say is history.
Many have asked why we went after hillar.
This bottom-feeding ****(and there's many like him) has been using our "title" and our "reputation", a title "we" earned and a reputation "we" paid for in blood to scam innocent people.
We are the US Army Special Forces, aka the "Green Berets" or the "Quiet Professionals" and we will continue to expose the frauds using our title and reputation to con innocent people.
De Oppresso Liber,
Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces,(ret)

longrange1947
11-20-2010, 14:17
Mine is still gone. :munchin

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 14:41
To the members of the Monterey Institute campus community:

We are writing to share with you the conclusions of the process of intensive research and consultation that the Institute has engaged in since learning of potential issues regarding the academic and military credentials presented to the Institute by one of our workshop instructors, Mr. Bill Hillar. We thank you for your patience and understanding as the Institute has examined these very serious issues.

We have attached a statement of the findings reached by the Institute in this matter. These include:

• That Mr. Hillar claimed an academic credential on his resume (a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon) that he did not in fact earn.

• That the Institute has been unable to substantiate the military service claimed by Mr. Hillar.

Because Mr. Hillar never applied for a position as an employee of the Institute, serving only as an independent contractor retained to lead a single three-day, one-credit workshop per semester, he was not subject to the pre-employment background checks that the Institute requires of all regular employees, a category that includes all faculty and adjunct faculty. As a result of this incident, the Institute has made the decision to extend the requirement for a full pre-engagement background check to any person who provides classroom instruction for academic credit at the Monterey Institute, regardless of their employment status. This change in policy is effective immediately.

These findings of course require us to address the issue of academic credit for the workshops led by Mr. Hillar in the past. As a consequence of our findings in this matter, the Institute will offer two options to every student who has taken a workshop led by Mr. Hillar at the Monterey Institute:

• Affected students who met the academic requirements of the workshop may choose to allow the credit to stand on their academic record. (Students choosing this option do not need to take any action.)

• Alternatively, affected students may request that the credit from the workshop be removed from their academic record, in which case they will be offered the opportunity to enroll in another one-credit workshop offered by the Institute at no additional cost. (Students choosing this option should contact Tate Miller, dean of Advising, Career and Student Services, by December 14.)

The Institute is in the process of identifying a qualified instructor to lead a human trafficking workshop in the spring 2011 semester, and will work to make this workshop available both on-site and online.

In the course of our review, we confirmed that most of our workshops are currently led by regular or adjunct faculty.

We recognize that many of you have been anxious to know the conclusions of this process. We want to assure you that this process has been both very thorough and conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances. Those circumstances have included both extensive research and information-sharing with similarly affected institutions, and active cooperation with law enforcement.

The public record suggests that a number of agencies and institutions across the country, including law enforcement and other government agencies, non-profits, and educational institutions, have been similarly affected by Mr. Hillar’s actions. Nonetheless, the ultimate responsibility for the quality and integrity of the instruction received at the Monterey Institute of International Studies rests with us. We deeply regret this incident and offer our sincere apologies to the students, alumni, faculty, and staff who have been affected by it.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we want to express our profound personal gratitude to the students who brought these issues to the administration’s attention. We are proud of your service, proud of the integrity you have displayed through your actions, and proud that you chose the Monterey Institute of International Studies.

Sunder Ramaswamy Amy Sands
President Provost

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 15:39

We are writing to share with you the conclusions of the process of intensive research and consultation that the Institute has engaged in since learning of potential issues regarding the academic and military credentials presented to the Institute by one of our workshop instructors, Mr. Bill Hillar. We thank you for your patience and understanding as the Institute has examined these very serious issues.

We have attached a statement of the findings reached by the Institute in this matter. These include:

• That Mr. Hillar claimed an academic credential on his resume (a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon) that he did not in fact earn.

• That the Institute has been unable to substantiate the military service claimed by Mr. Hillar.

Because Mr. Hillar never applied for a position as an employee of the Institute, serving only as an independent contractor retained to lead a single three-day, one-credit workshop per semester, he was not subject to the pre-employment background checks that the Institute requires of all regular employees, a category that includes all faculty and adjunct faculty. As a result of this incident, the Institute has made the decision to extend the requirement for a full pre-engagement background check to any person who provides classroom instruction for academic credit at the Monterey Institute, regardless of their employment status. This change in policy is effective immediately.

These findings of course require us to address the issue of academic credit for the workshops led by Mr. Hillar in the past. As a consequence of our findings in this matter, the Institute will offer two options to every student who has taken a workshop led by Mr. Hillar at the Monterey Institute:

• Affected students who met the academic requirements of the workshop may choose to allow the credit to stand on their academic record. (Students choosing this option do not need to take any action.)

• Alternatively, affected students may request that the credit from the workshop be removed from their academic record, in which case they will be offered the opportunity to enroll in another one-credit workshop offered by the Institute at no additional cost. (Students choosing this option should contact Tate Miller, dean of Advising, Career and Student Services, by December 14.)

The Institute is in the process of identifying a qualified instructor to lead a human trafficking workshop in the spring 2011 semester, and will work to make this workshop available both on-site and online.

In the course of our review, we confirmed that most of our workshops are currently led by regular or adjunct faculty.

We recognize that many of you have been anxious to know the conclusions of this process. We want to assure you that this process has been both very thorough and conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances. Those circumstances have included both extensive research and information-sharing with similarly affected institutions, and active cooperation with law enforcement.

The public record suggests that a number of agencies and institutions across the country, including law enforcement and other government agencies, non-profits, and educational institutions, have been similarly affected by Mr. Hillar’s actions. Nonetheless, the ultimate responsibility for the quality and integrity of the instruction received at the Monterey Institute of International Studies rests with us. We deeply regret this incident and offer our sincere apologies to the students, alumni, faculty, and staff who have been affected by it.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we want to express our profound personal gratitude to the students who brought these issues to the administration’s attention. We are proud of your service, proud of the integrity you have displayed through your actions, and proud that you chose the Monterey Institute of International Studies.

President Provost

Sunder Ramaswamy should thank his stars I do not have son or daughter at MIIS.

Sunder Ramaswamy, how many years did MIIS promote bill hillar as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR of MIIS?

Sunder Ramaswamy, how many years did bill hillar receive a paycheck from MIIS as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR?

Sunder Ramaswamy, I'd sure like to see the pay stubs for bill hillar that say "CONTRACTOR".

Sunder Ramaswamy, anyone can make a mistake, but covering up your mistake in order to mitigate possible litigation, that's an integrity issue.

I hope you sleep well at night.

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 15:45
I'm happy to see that MIIS is acknowledging that they screwed up and are now offering students some recourse, but their response is a cop-out, pure and simple. They lauded Hillar as a commodity for years, highlighting his credentials, especially his military ones. Let's face it, he was a money maker for the University. He had the students bought, hook, line and sinker because of the wild stories he told and brought the University lots of money in the process. His classes were always jam packed and everyone left his classes excited about everything that they thought they had learned.The University had no problem calling him an adjunct professor for the 5 years that he taught at our school, but now that he has been found to be a fraud, he is now just a "contractor." I have the audio of Hillar calling himself an adjunct professor and the saved MIIS websites are records of this as well.

Furthermore, the statement issued today states "In the course of our review, we confirmed that most of our workshops are currently led by regular or adjunct faculty." Does this mean that these professors will become "contractors" too if they are found to be fraudulent? And what does "most" mean? Are there actual contracted professors that weren't vetted because of past policies? This is not at all reassuring and only leads to more questions.

Team Sergeant
11-20-2010, 16:22
WAYBACKMACHINE, it's an internet "archive" which means if you have a website it archives your website, sort of like google does but for YEARS.

Guess who has been listed as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR for MIIS.edu for YEARS?????????

Don't believe me, do your own research.

Sunder Ramaswamy you and MIIS have integrity issues.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://miis.edu

A 2005 pdf.doc showing bill hillar was an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR AT MISS.EDU:

http://globalmajority.org/gm/images/stories/2005confsched14.pdf

Funny that the Monterey Chapter of the Red Cross calls bill hillar a 'ADJUNCT PROFESSOR" of the Monterey Institute of International Studies. They should have known bill hillar was only a "CONTRACTOR" OF MIIS.EDU

International Services

REFUGEES/INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS

Forced Migrationrefers to the coerced movement of a person or persons away from their home or home region.
Refugeeis a person who, due to fear of being persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, particular social group, economics or politics is outside the country of their nationality, and is unable or unwilling to avail him/herself of the protection of that country.
Internally Displaced Persons(IDPs) are people forced to flee their homes but who remain within their country's borders.

Thursday April 22, 2010
MONTEREY INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
Irvine Auditorium, McCone Building
6-9 p.m.

Friday April 23, 2010
SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara
Benson Student Center, California Mission Room
9:30-11:30 a.m.

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SANTA CRUZ
College Nine, Namaste Lounge
3-5 p.m.

Saturday April 24, 2010
STANFORD UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
Crown Quadrangle, 559 Nathan Abbott Way
Classroom Wing, Room 290
10-12 Noon

To Register in Advance or for Further Information Regarding Attendance at any of these Events, Contact Jill Hofmann, ARC Monterey Bay jhofmann@ARCMontereyBay.org or (831) 566-8841
SPEAKERS

Dr. Jean-Pierre Revel
Keynote Speaker
Physician, Former Medical Delegate and Head of Sector, Health Unit, Assistance Division for International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

Dr. Jean-Pierre Revel spent most of his 35-year career in the humanitarian sector, dealing with emergency response after disasters or refugee migrations, as well as long-term development projects. He spent the last ten years with the ICRC, responding to the needs of people affected by conflicts and violence, in particular, Sri Lanka, South Caucasus, Pakistan and the Philippines. He played a significant role in the development of psychological support for victims and rescue workers in disaster situations and was a pioneer in the development of specific response to humanitarian consequences of technological disasters, including Chernobyl.

Rosa Rosales
National President, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)

Rosa Rosales leads the largest and oldest Hispanic civil rights organization in the United States. Prior to holding this position, she served as Office Director of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). Growing up in the barrios of San Antonio, she helped her father and mother advance la causa of La Union Fraternal Latino Americana, a mutual aid society which her father led for 25 years. When she took over as head of LULAC, one of her goals was to “let our senators and congressmen know that we want a meaningful immigration reform law,” that addresses civil rights, labor rights and “treats immigrants with respect and dignity and affords them a pathway to citizenship.”

Dr. Neil Boothby
Allan Rosenfield Professor of Clinical Forced Migration & Health
Director, Program on Forced Migration and Health, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University

Neil Boothby, EdD is an internationally recognized expert and advocate for children affected by war and displacement. As a senior representative of UNICEF, UNHCR and Save the Children, he has worked for more than 20 years with children in crises in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. As director of the Program on Forced Migration and Health and Professor of Clinical Population and Family Health at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, his research focuses on the psychosocial consequences of organized violence on children.

William Hillar
Adjunct Professor, Monterey Institute of International Studies and University of Oregon. Retired Colonel, U.S. Special Forces.

William G. (Bill) Hillar is a retired Colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces. He holds a B.A. in Psychology, an M.A. in Education, a Ph.D. in Health Education, and an honorary doctorate in Intercultural Relations. Col. Hillar leads many workshops and courses at colleges and universities in the area of Human Trafficking, International Terrorism, Security Careers (Intelligence Community), Transnational Drug Smuggling, and International Crime. He also works with firefighters and other first-responders where quick reaction and rapid recovery are essential for survival.

WAYBACK MACHINE ARCHIVES INTERNET WEBSITES
MIIS.EDU'S WEBSITE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED SINCE 1996. I PICKED A YEAR AND WENT BACK TO JULY 19TH 2006, GUESS WHO I FOUND AS AN ADJUNCT PROFESSOR WORKING FOR MIIS?
ADJUNCT FACULTY AND GUEST LECTURERS

Jonathan D. Berkey
Adjunct Professor

Email: jonathan.berkey@miis.edu

Charla Britt
Adjunct Professor

Expertise: Development Theory and Praxis;Natural Resources Governance;Gender and Development; Common Property Resources; Social Mobilization and Federation-Building; South Asia

Email: charla.britt@miis.edu

Geza Feketekuty
Distinguished Professor of Commercial Diplomacy

Expertise: International Trade Policy; Commercial Diplomacy; International Negotiations; International Economics

Discipline: International Economics

Email: gezaf@miis.edu

Andrew Fischer
Adjunct Professor

Discipline: International Environmental Policy

Email: andy.fischer@miis.edu

Usurla Glick
Adjunct Professor

Expertise: Geographical Information Systems

Email: ursula.glick@miis.edu

Peter Grothe
Adjunct Professor and Director, International Student Programs

Expertise: Cross-cultural Communication; US Government and Politics

Discipline: Political Science

Email: pgrothe@miis.edu

William Hillar
Adjunct Professor

Expertise: Tactical Counterterrorism;Explosive Ordnance;Emergency Medicine;Psychological Warfare;First Responder Training

Email: Bill.Hillar@miis.edu

Laura Strohm
Adjunct Professor

Expertise: International Environmental Policy; Public Administration

Discipline: International Environmental Policy

Email: lstrohm@miis.edu

Maurice D. Van Arsdol, Jr.
Adjunct Professor

Expertise: Population and Human Security Policy; Migration; Population and Global Environmental Change; Maternal and Child Health; Urbanization

Discipline: Sociology

Email: don.van.arsdol@miis.edu

Richard
11-20-2010, 17:13

This is one of the biggest crocks of attempted academic sleight--of-hand malarkey I have ever seen perpetrated by an accredited credit-granting academic institution and should be a matter of grave concern to their national accrediting agencies, current students and alumni, and all other accredited institutions who either accepted or were in the process of accepting the credit which had been granted by MIIS for adjunct faculty member Bill Hillar's courses.

The Monterey Institute of International Studies is accredited, through its affiliation with Middlebury College, by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC), a higher education accrediting body recognized by the US Department of Education.

In addition, the Institute’s Fisher Program in International Business (Fisher International MBA) is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

And then there is the matter of defrauding the government by advertising, conducting, charging $$, and granting transferable credit to local, state, and federal employees for a fraudulant training course of instruction given by an adjunct faculty member of the MIIS.

I would wager Dr. Ramaswamy, his administrative staff, and his superiors at Middlebury College are losing as much sleep over this issue as their former adjunct faculty member is over his own issues.

Richard :munchin

abc_123
11-20-2010, 17:37
Sunder Ramaswamy should thank his stars I do not have son or daughter at MIIS.

Sunder Ramaswamy, how many years did MIIS promote bill hillar as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR of MIIS?

Sunder Ramaswamy, how many years did bill hillar receive a paycheck from MIIS as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR?

Sunder Ramaswamy, I'd sure like to see the pay stubs for bill hillar that say "CONTRACTOR".

Sunder Ramaswamy, anyone can make a mistake, but covering up your mistake in order to mitigate possible litigation, that's an integrity issue.

I hope you sleep well at night.

Wow. I hope the trustees, alumni and students are proud of the example of integrity that Sunder Ramaswamy and the administration are providing. Higher education at it's finest.

Yes a mistake is a mistake. But THIS is an indication of a character flaw...in the individual and the organization. Perhaps the organization can correct this.

I guess we'll see.

The Reaper
11-20-2010, 17:44
How would you go after a university, and dispute their national accreditation?:munchin

TR

Snaquebite
11-20-2010, 18:00

Why would anyone want to keep credits that could later be brought under criticism/question because the "professor" was found to be a fraud?

NO...I want full refund of all monies paid for the course due to the failure of the institution to offer a qualified professor.

swatsurgeon
11-20-2010, 18:30
IMHO, what is most telling is the professionalism demonstrated by the admins on this site who continuously and rightfully bring to light the people who portray themselves as U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers...who are NOT.

There should be no recognized financial or other gain in a persons life from a lie they have presented as truth. Any and all money's received by these 'pretenders' should be donated to the Green Beret Foundation....to assist those families who have lost a warrior, who truly deserve.

This should be the next evolution of this site....reaching out to District Attorneys, other lawyers who represent the local jurisdictions or state, that restitution be made to a worthwhile foundation.

ss

wet dog
11-20-2010, 18:56
Furthermore, the statement issued today states "In the course of our review, we confirmed that most of our workshops are currently led by regular or adjunct faculty." Does this mean that these professors will become "contractors" too if they are found to be fraudulent? And what does "most" mean? Are there actual contracted professors that weren't vetted because of past policies? This is not at all reassuring and only leads to more questions.

I have to say, I've already forgotten about William G. Hillar. My eyes are now becoming focused on a much larger target of ethical concerns, perhaps the very nature of our commercial, higher education, be it, on campus or online resources. These educational processes need to be evaluated. We should start our own online higher educational campus, offering online courses in foreign studies. Let me think, were could we find "adjunct professors", "contractors", administrators experienced in traditional and revolutionary educational systems?

rdret1
11-20-2010, 19:03
IMHO, what is most telling is the professionalism demonstrated by the admins on this site who continuously and rightfully bring to light the people who portray themselves as U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers...who are NOT.

There should be no recognized financial or other gain in a persons life from a lie they have presented as truth. Any and all money's received by these 'pretenders' should be donated to the Green Beret Foundation....to assist those families who have lost a warrior, who truly deserve.

This should be the next evolution of this site....reaching out to District Attorneys, other lawyers who represent the local jurisdictions or state, that restitution be made to a worthwhile foundation.

ss

That sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 20:40
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/archives/2010/2010-Nov-18/miis-concludes-instructor-bill-hillar-lied-about-his-academic-record/1/@@index

MIIS concludes instructor Bill Hillar lied about his academic record.

By Robin Urevich

The Monterey Institute of International Studies has concluded that Bill Hillar, a popular instructor who has given workshops on human trafficking since 2005, misrepresented his academic credentials.

The Weekly has learned that his military credentials also appear to be falsified.
Hillar, who has claimed to be a retired Special Forces Colonel, told a wild tale of international intrigue in his popular one-credit workshops, claiming that his own 17-year old daughter was kidnapped by traffickers in Southeast Asia, and was killed by them. He has said that he personally tracked her abductors, and claimed that the 2008 Liam Neeson film, Taken, is based on his exploits.
In fact, the United States Army Special Operations Command has no record that William G. Hillar ever took part in special operations education and training, which are standard for special forces personnel.

According to the National Archives and Records Administration, a William Gibb Hillar did serve in the United States Coast Guard Reserve from 1962 to 1970.

Furthermore, Hillar claimed to have a PhD from the University of Oregon in a health field. But, university spokesman Joe Mosley says Hillar didn't earn a doctoral degree.
A Nov. 20 statement from MIIS notes it will now require independent contract instructors like Hillar to submit to the same pre-employment background checks that faculty undergo.

MIIS will allow students who received credit for Hillar's workshop to take a one-credit course free of charge if they want the credit for Hillar's course removed from their records.

Hillar also gave workshops at the University of Oregon's substance abuse education program, offered training for firefighters and law enforcement personnel across the country, and has been a frequent speaker at events aimed at raising awareness of human trafficking.
Hillar's website has been taken down, and he has not returned phone calls

rdret1
11-20-2010, 20:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKwFlDzv30

I think this may be an appropriate response.

IwakuniMarine
11-20-2010, 20:54
Here is a link to an audio talk-show that discusses the situation with Hillar. Click on the listen link to hear it.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/helpingheroes/2010/11/21/bill-hllar-a-fraud-or-really-a-father

Richard
11-20-2010, 22:01
How would you go after a university, and dispute their national accreditation?

This matter is now public knowledge - it will be noted as a matter of record and be a focus of investigation by the accrediting agencies when MIIS comes up for reaccreditation. MIIS will certainly have, by then, made some administrative changes to show they identified a problem and have taken steps to correct it - they will, at most, be placed on probation and - pending no further instances of such malfeasance - eventually receive their reaccreditation. In the meantime, their loss of reputation - the thing they fear most - will literally cost them students and $$ at a time when the competition for both is fierce. A few academic careers will be ended...and 5-10 years down the road all will return to normal.

And so it goes...

CSB
11-21-2010, 00:10
The audio blog post by Imakunimarine is terrific.

Listen to it, there has been a considerable hornet's nest unleashed, from students (and a university) who find their degrees/accreditation at risk, to non-profits who could find their 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status questioned, to customer's of his motivational seminars who have been defrauded.

Well done to all involved.

rdret1
11-21-2010, 00:32
The audio blog post by Imakunimarine is terrific.

Listen to it, there has been a considerable hornet's nest unleashed, from students (and a university) who find their degrees/accreditation at risk, to non-profits who could find their 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status questioned, to customer's of his motivational seminars who have been defrauded.

Well done to all involved.

Agreed. That was an excellent interview. The questions were handled well and with no hesitation.

Pete
11-21-2010, 07:08
From the FogHorn

Just a reprinting of Sunder's letter but the top part is - well - :D

http://blogs.miis.edu/thefoghorn/2010/11/20/bill-hillar-is-a-really-great-guy/

The following is from the desk of MIIS Dean Sunder Ramaswamy:

(Note: Upon further investigation, we have concluded that the aforementioned desk is not a desk, nor has it ever been a desk. Rather it served only as an independently contracted table retained to fill an empty corner. Yes, even though up until last month we did refer to it as an “adjunct desk” and advertised it as such on our website, we have since deleted such information with the hope that everybody would forget the close association we sought to cultivate.)

(We apologize for the lack of vetting process, but if it makes you feel any better, both law enforcement and other government agencies thought it was a desk as well.)

Richard
11-21-2010, 07:19
Upon further investigation, we have concluded that the aforementioned desk is not a desk, nor has it ever been a desk. Rather it served only as an independently contracted table retained to fill an empty corner.

Give it another week and it will have been but an LNO's field table stuck in a corner of a GP Medium next to the HN HQs. :p

Snaquebite
11-21-2010, 07:32
The "Non" Ajunct Professor independent contractor's desk is finally located at MIIS

Team Sergeant
11-21-2010, 09:44
After what has transpired, how could anyone use such a title ?

Nov20
Bill Hillar Is a Really Great GuyNovember 20, 2010 | | Leave a Comment

(Note: Upon further investigation, we have concluded that the aforementioned desk is not a desk, nor has it ever been a desk. Rather it served only as an independently contracted table retained to fill an empty corner. Yes, even though up until last month we did refer to it as an “adjunct desk” and advertised it as such on our website, we have since deleted such information with the hope that everybody would forget the close association we sought to cultivate.)

(We apologize for the lack of vetting process, but if it makes you feel any better, both law enforcement and other government agencies thought it was a desk as well.)

President Provost

Sunder Ramaswamy Amy SandsPresident Provost

Team Sergeant
11-21-2010, 09:45
From the FogHorn

Just a reprinting of Sunder's letter but the top part is - well - :D

To: The Monterey Institute of International Studies:

Dean Sunder Ramaswamy,

A desk might be a desk, but when the Monterey Institute of International Studies advertises and promotes that "empty desk" as a most wonderful desk that has been titled, by MIIS, as an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR for the last five plus years, tell us Dean Sunder Ramaswamy, how would anyone (especially the students) have know it was just an empty desk?

Making a mistake is human.

But attempting to cover up that mistake using premeditated and deliberate "misdirection", now that's an integrity issue. (Actually a serious lack of integrity.)

Dean Sunder Ramaswamy Professionalsoldiers.com is not aware of any other law enforcement agency or any other organization that is attempting to lessen the impact of being conned by calling the fraud that has been perpetrated against them "just a desk".

In my opinion Dean Sunder Ramaswamy, the Monterey Institute of International Studies owes the students that took bill hillar's "class" their money back. It's ludicrous to think that some would want to continue with a credit hour taught by a fraud.

Sleep well Dean Sunder Ramaswamy, we don't have any other "adjunct professors" in our sights that work for the Monterey Institute of International Studies. (How you can look at yourself in the mirror each morning is beyond me.)

Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces (ret)

Pete
11-21-2010, 09:56
Pink

I think the blogger does not know of our use of pink. The title and the blogger's intro kinda' puts the big /s in Sunder's letter.

SF_BHT
11-21-2010, 10:09
Pink

I think the blogger does not know of our use of pink. The title and the blogger's intro kinda' puts the big /s in Sunder's letter.

Maybe we need a sticky on the 1st page to let the Visitors know........:rolleyes::p

IwakuniMarine
11-21-2010, 21:11
The Monterey Institute of International Studies said over the weekend that it has concluded that a lecturer there made false claims about his academic credentials.
The institute said that it has concluded that, contrary to claims in a resume and bio, lecturer Bill Hillar lied about both his military and academic background.
It said Hillar claimed to be "a retired colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces" and to have earned a Ph.D. at the University of Oregon, neither of which it was able to verify.
Hillar taught workshops at the institute over the past five years in human trafficking and counterterrorism. He has also been hired by various other educational, nonprofit and law enforcement agencies.
"We deeply regret this incident and offer our sincere apologies to the students, alumni, faculty, and staff who have been affected by it," Monterey Institute President Sunder Ramaswamy said in a prepared release.
As a result, the institute said it will begin requiring a full background check on any person who provides classroom instruction for academic credit there.
Students who took Hillar's workshops are being given two options, to keep the academic credit on their records or have it removed with the option of attending another workshop at no additional cost.

Read more: Credentials mess at Monterey Institute | Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2010/11/21/credentials-mess-at-monterey-institute.html

IwakuniMarine
11-21-2010, 21:17
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/helpingheroes/2010/11/22/conclusion-of-steph-watts-show-bill-hillar

Good interview with some new perspectives on Hillar. The recorded audio has sort of a long music intro FYI.

Jgood
11-21-2010, 21:36
Sent link off to a few News outlets, hope they pick them up and make this a more national news event:D

Team Sergeant
11-22-2010, 12:03
OK let's get this story straight, it's been wrong on about 4 to five news outlets.

Brian Hubbs, a student at the Monterey Institute of International Studies "did not" break this story.

Brian Hubbs "did not" send for the records of william g hillar.

Brian Hubbs "did not" first question the credentials of bill hillar as an adjunct professor at the Monterey Institute of International Studies and other organizations across the United States.

ProfessionalSoldiers.com did all this. We broke the story on 28th of Oct, 2010.

I sent for the records of william g hillar at USASOC and the National Records Center. (Mary Schantag assisted in this document search.)

One reporter even has Brian Hubbs name wrong in her report.

Brian this is not against you, it's to clear up a few "reporting" issues concerning the fraud, bill hillar.

Only one reporter is aware of this mistake, the others are all feeding off one story and have "wrong" information.

Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces (ret)

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 01:02
Funny no mention of who actually broke the story and who started the investigation of william g hillar or where the students got the Freedom of Information Act done on hillar.

This story is going to go national and when it does a whole lot of reporters are going to look very silly. ;)

Feel free to email Larry Gordon and let him know who started (and finished) this investigation and who called hillar a fraud first........ Make sure you tell him the Team Sergeant said hello.

larry.gordon@latimes.com

TS

Monterey instructor's resume sparks students' suspicions
Bill Hillar's students had doubts about his claims of dangerous exploits as a Special Forces. Officials at the Monterey Institute of International Studies say the students' doubts have merit.

By Larry Gordon, Los Angeles Times

November 23, 2010
Bill Hillar, a part-time instructor at the Monterey Institute of International Studies, told students enrolled in his workshops on terrorism and human trafficking about what he described as his own dangerous exploits as a former colonel in the U.S. Army's Special Forces.

He also boasted, they recalled, that the 2008 action movie "Taken," starring Liam Neeson, was based on his life and his daughter's kidnapping by men who wanted to enslave her.

Such claims, along with incidents in which Hillar seemed to borrow material from other people's books, raised suspicions among some of his graduate students about Hillar's resume and background. "He didn't seem to act like a veteran or someone who served so highly in the military," recalled Brian Hubbs, a graduate student and Marine veteran.

So this fall, Hubbs and several other veterans attending the graduate institute began investigating Hillar's resume. And the school now says their suspicions had merit.

Monterey Institute officials said Hillar, who has taught workshops twice yearly at the school since 2005, had claimed to hold a doctorate from the University of Oregon, but a check showed that he had only attended classes there. The institute, which is well-regarded for its foreign language and international relations courses, has been unable to confirm the instructor's claims of military rank and service, officials said.

Hillar, who has also been an expert speaker on security and leadership at other colleges and police agencies across the country, did not respond to messages left Monday at the phone number and e-mail address listed on his class syllabus.

Monterey Institute spokesman Jason Warburg said Hillar has not responded to the school's requests for a meeting and documents to verify his background.

The 750-student institute, a graduate school of Middlebury College in Vermont, has issued a public apology that it did not check Hillar's resume more thoroughly before engaging him to teach his three-day workshops. It promised that it would extend to part-time workshop instructors the background check required of all other faculty. And the school's president, Sunder Ramaswamy, has praised Hubbs and the other students for "the integrity they have displayed."

The institute is offering students replacement workshops and a chance to erase Hillar's courses from their academic records. But that does not fully satisfy Hubbs, who contends the school treated Hillar "like a superstar" for years and that the institute and other schools and agencies that hired him should have vetted him earlier.

"One of the mysteries of the whole incident is how could a guy like this go on for years," Hubbs said in an interview Monday.

An early clue, Hubbs said, came when Hillar told an October workshop a story about how he had counseled a student about creativity. The story sounded familiar and students said they tracked it down, attributed to others, in the book "Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College."

The Monterey students then used the Internet to research other of the instructor's claims and contacted a national veterans' group for help.

In his promotional material as a speaker on leadership and ethics, Hillar said he had provided "training for high-risk occupations" and listed more than 30 local, state and federal agencies and schools as clients. Among them was the Federal Executive Board of Greater Los Angeles, which coordinates efficiency and emergency planning for federal agencies in California, Arizona and Nevada.

The board's executive director, Kathrene Hansen, confirmed Monday that Hillar had been a speaker for several of the group's annual meetings, most recently in July. "He was very well received, very inspirational," Hansen said in a telephone interview. She said she had never heard of anything problematic in Hillar's background.

The University of Portland hosted a conference on human trafficking this month, where Hillar was scheduled to be a keynote speaker. Advance material described him as a retired special forces colonel "whose personal story inspired the movie "Taken." A university spokesman said Monday that Hillar did not appear at the conference. The spokesman referred questions to the conference organizers, who did not return phone calls.

In "Taken," Neeson plays a former CIA operative who saves his teenage daughter from slave traders. In interviews at the time of its release, its director and writers did not mention Hillar.

larry.gordon@latimes.com

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-monterey-resume-20101123,0,3466583.story

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 10:58
Questions About Monterey Instructor's Claims

Students' doubts led the Monterey Institute of International Studies, a graduate unit of Middlebury College, to investigate and find discrepancies in the claims of an instructor about his background, the Los Angeles Times reported. Bill Hillar told students many stories about adventure while serving in the U.S. Army's Special Forces, and students said that he had boasted that the 2008 action movie Taken was based on his life. Students grew to doubt his various claims, causing the institute to look into Hillar's background, finding that he didn't earn the doctorate he claimed to have from the University of Oregon. Monterey was also unable to verify Hillar's military service. Hillar not only has taught part-time at Monterey, but has lectured based on his background at numerous other colleges. Hillar did not respond to requests from the Times for comment, and Monterey officials said he has declined to meet with them to discuss the issues raised about his background.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/11/23/qt

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 10:59
Credentials mess at Monterey Institute

The Monterey Institute of International Studies said over the weekend that it has concluded that a lecturer there made false claims about his academic credentials.

The institute said that it has concluded that, contrary to claims in a resume and bio, lecturer Bill Hillar lied about both his military and academic background.

It said Hillar claimed to be "a retired colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces" and to have earned a Ph.D. at the University of Oregon, neither of which it was able to verify.

Hillar taught workshops at the institute over the past five years in human trafficking and counterterrorism. He has also been hired by various other educational, nonprofit and law enforcement agencies.

"We deeply regret this incident and offer our sincere apologies to the students, alumni, faculty, and staff who have been affected by it," Monterey Institute President Sunder Ramaswamy said in a prepared release.

As a result, the institute said it will begin requiring a full background check on any person who provides classroom instruction for academic credit there.

Students who took Hillar's workshops are being given two options, to keep the academic credit on their records or have it removed with the option of attending another workshop at no additional cost.

Copyright © 2010 American City Business Journals. All rights reserved.
http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/sanjose/news/2010/11/21/credentials-mess-at-monterey-institute.html

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 11:02
Make sure you check out the last sentence....:rolleyes:

MIIS confirms instructor lied about credentials
Background checks to be mandatory
By JANE LEE
Herald Staff Writer
Posted: 11/23/2010 01:37:29 AM PST
Updated: 11/23/2010 08:47:57 AM PST

Bill Hillar Instructor did not receive a doctorate from the University of Oregon.«

After confirming that workshop instructor Bill Hillar misrepresented his academic credentials, the Monterey Institute of International Studies said it is taking steps to ensure something similar does not happen again.

Hillar, who taught workshops on human trafficking and counterterrorism, was categorized as an independent contractor for MIIS, so he was not subject to the background checks required of all employees, MIIS officials said in a news release.

But the incident has prompted them to change that policy. Effective immediately, anyone who teaches a course for credit will undergo a background check.

Questions about Hillar's credentials first came to light in early November, MIIS spokesman Jason Warburg said Monday. Two students brought their suspicions about Hillar's military experience to a faculty member, who alerted MIIS officials.

"The key issue was did he or did he not misrepresent his credentials," said Warburg.

After conducting its review, MIIS found that Hillar, who is not a permanent part of the teaching staff, did not graduate from the University of Oregon with a doctorate, Warburg said, even though the résumé Hillar submitted to MIIS stated he had.

MIIS officials looked into Hillar's military credentials, Warburg said, but were unable to substantiate his military record in the 2½ weeks of the review. He said the Freedom of Information Act request the school submitted has not been fulfilled.

MIIS officials gave Hillar the opportunity to respond to the issues brought up during their review, but Warburg said Hillar has not contacted them.

Hillar received positive comments on his student evaluations, Warburg said.

"People, at this point, are just absorbing what's been sent out," he said, adding that some people have expressed surprise at the situation.

Students who took Hillar's workshops can choose whether to keep the credit. If they choose to have it removed, they will be able to enroll in another one-credit workshop at MIIS at no extra cost.

The school is trying to find a qualified instructor for its spring Human Trafficking workshop. MIIS will try to make the class available on campus and online.

"We deeply regret this incident and offer our sincere apologies to the students, alumni, faculty and staff who have been affected by it," MIIS President Sunder Ramaswamy said in the news release.

"We also want to express our profound gratitude to the students who brought these issues to the administration's attention. We are very proud of the integrity they have displayed through their actions."

Because Hillar was not a member of the institution, Warburg said, the incident likely will not damage the school's standing.

Jane Lee can be reached at 648-1188 or jlee@montereyherald.com.

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_16690320?nclick_check=1

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 11:53
This is all the contact Larry Parsons had with me and Professionalsoldiers.com. Read from the bottom up. :munchin

From: jdprofessionals@q.com [mailto:jdprofessionals@q.com] On Behalf Of JD
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:23 PM
To: 'Larry Parsons'
Cc: deaddrop@professionalsoldiers.com
Subject: RE: Bill Hillar

Hi Larry,

I'm not on a deadline this afternoon.
Larry, just ask yourself one question, why would the Monterey Institute of
International Studies fire bill hillar, remove him and all his "credentials"
from their website and then decide "look into his credentials"? Sounds sort
of back-asswards doesn't it?

Yes, yes I/we did call william g hillar a fraud, a liar and a bottom-feeding
scumbag, because that is what he is and because we did our research.

Larry, before you decide to contact us again I would suggest you do some
research, you know like reporters do.

You're welcome.

Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces
(ret)
Owner
ProfessionalSoldiers.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:09 PM
To: deaddrop@professionalsoldiers.com
Subject: Bill Hillar

To whom it may concern:

I'm a reporter at the Monterey County Herald looking into the
questions raised about Bill Hillar.

The Monterey Institute of International Studies is reportedly looking
into his credentials. I have questions into the University of Oregon.

Your web site flatly calls him a fraud.

Can you tell me about professional soliders, and how Hillar got into
your sights?

I am on a deadline this afternoon.
A proper name and a phone number would be appreciated in your reply.

Thank You,

Larry Parsons
Monterey County Herald
831-646-4379

Team Sergeant
11-23-2010, 23:15
Bill Hillar,

I'm sure you're reading this or someone is, that knows you well.

I am the one responsible for bringing down your house of cards.

I want you to contact me, I want to talk to you. I have a few questions to ask.

I promise I will not verbally abuse you, I'm finished with that, I/we have achieved our goal, to expose you.

Send me an email and I'll give you my phone number.

Jeff Hinton
Master Sergeant
Special Forces (ret)

JD@professionalSoldiers.com

Team Sergeant
11-24-2010, 20:50
This was a telephone interview that was done today. It's very close to what I actually said...edited to suit the news media. I never said imposter, I think it was FRAUD and Liar....;) We've been "tracking" hillar since 10-19-2009, a little over a year, not posted as a fraud until just about a year later. A few small errors. Oh and "you frauds" that might be reading this, when we (real "Green Berets") track individuals we don't do so in public.... If you ask any "Quiet Professional" on this website he will tell you the same thing, we've been tracking bill hillar since 10-19-2009.
The reporter that wrote this joined the website.
Team Sergeant

Retired Green Berets Call Hillar Imposter
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 7:02 PM MST
Updated: Nov 24, 2010 7:04 PM MST

MONTEREY, Calif.- It's a story Central Coast News broke last week, now it's gaining national attention from the LA Times.

Wednesday, a special forces group said it spent the past year tracking Bill Hillar.

Central Coast News learned what the group found out, when it looked into the man, claiming to be a Green Beret.

"We don't go after the people that tell somebody at a bar 'I'm a Green Beret,' we go after people like Hillar that make themselves public figures," said Jeff Hinton.

And go after Hillar, the retired Green Berets did.

"...Expose these people for the frauds they are so they're not using our title and our reputation, a title we earned and a reputation we paid for in blood," said Hinton.

They aren't out for blood like some may think. Hinton said it's all about doing their homework on potential frauds like Hillar and letting the truth be known.

"You got to remember how small we are and to not know a colonel with special forces? No one knew him."

"The nail in the coffin was the Freedom of Information Act from Army operations Command...I mean this is a Full Bird Colonel and no record on him? It's like that's it!"

Hillar has been posted as a fraud for over a year on the website Jeff Hinton started, professional soldiers.com. A place for special forces to network with each other. It was there that Brian Hubbs and the other students at the Monterey Institute of International Studies found more evidence to back up their research on Hillar.

A client list from Hillar's now defunct website shows a lot of people believed his stories for a long time, "It's because he's never run across a real Green Beret... They read just enough or watch just enough movies to pass themselves off," said Hinton.

The question is, where is he now? "You got me! He's probably hiding under a rock...if I were him I'd leave the country," said Hinton laughing.

http://www.kcba.com/Global/story.asp?S=13566468

Red Flag 1
11-25-2010, 09:50
It's about time.

Great work TS!!!

RF 1

Team Sergeant
11-25-2010, 09:58
William G. Hillar aka Bill Hillar fraud.

Fact, Professionalsoldiers.com broke this story on 28 October 2010 after tracking this individual for about a year.

Professionalsoldiers.com with assist from POWNETWORK.org obtained the Freedom of Information act documents that all the news media are reporting about.

Before 28 October 2010 no one called Bill Hillar a fraud.

It's time we close yet another case on a Special Forces Fraud.

When he's arrested and charged we might post something.

Of all the reporters I've talked to none have reported the story correctly. {Edit to add, Brooke Holmquist has the story correct, www.kionrightnow.com}

This case is closed as far as I'm concerned. Time to move onto the next fraud. And yes, we're working on a few more frauds right now.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER,
Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
12-04-2010, 11:55
william g hillar aka bill hillar
Someone just sent me an email and said you are "leaving the country".
Funny, no one saw that coming.:munchin

Team Sergeant
12-18-2010, 11:18
Someone is about to receive some "extra" attention......

Consider it a holiday gift. ;)

Team Sergeant

Richard
12-18-2010, 11:29
william g hillar aka bill hillar Someone just sent me an email and said you are "leaving the country".:munchin

Must've gotten some new information from Wolfgang Hammersmith's BlackOps contacts and is going after his daughter's traffickers again...as soon as that agency which nobody's ever heard of and those nine lawyers he's hired from Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe says Wolfgang can release the info, of course... :rolleyes:

Team Sergeant
12-22-2010, 09:38
Alleged Phony SF Colonel Investigated
December 22, 2010
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

When Elon University in North Carolina honored some so-called "hometown heroes" in November, it included a retired Green Beret colonel on a mission to speak out about human trafficking.

William G. "Bill" Hillar said he knew the subject all too well. His daughter Sale was abducted in Asia in 1988 and sold into the sex-slave trade, he said. He spent a futile six months trying to find and rescue her, but she died in captivity.

It was all a lie, and now Hillar is under investigation for his claims by the FBI.

"Colonel in Special Forces -- only in his dreams," said Jeff "J.D." Hinton, a retired Army Special Forces Soldier who began investigating Hillar more than a year ago after hearing there were problems with his background. Hinton immediately began copying images of Hillar's website and other sites in which Hillar's expertise and background were featured. Using personal connections in the Army Special Forces community as well as official channels, Hinton began exposing the holes in Hillar's background on his own website, Professionalsoldiers.com, in October.

There is no record of a William G. Hillar in any Special Forces outfit -- ever -- says Hinton. In fact, a search of military personnel records turned up only one William G. Hillar, a radioman in the Coast Guard from 1962 to 1970, according to Hinton.

Military.com was not able to reach Hillar through the e-mail address and phone number previously listed on his website. Rich Wolf, a spokesman for the FBI's Maryland and Delaware division, confirmed the bureau is investigating Hillar but would not offer details.

For more than five years, Hillar promoted himself as an expert in international trafficking and counterterrorism. He has traveled the country to speak before charity groups, college students and even law enforcement organizations. He has been paid to teach classes, including at the prestigious Monterey Institute for International Studies.

On his now-defunct website, he claimed to be a retired Special Forces colonel who served in Asia, the Middle East and Central and South America. He boasted training and experience in tactical counterterrorism, service with allied forces' elite troops and advising foreign governments and militaries.

When Hillar was confronted about his military credentials by former students, he reportedly denied claiming to be a Green Beret, saying he was just an adviser to the service.

Professionalsoldier.com's Hinton -- who makes it his business to ferret out phony war heroes and spec ops wannabes on his website -- claims Hillar has "made some serious money" passing himself off as a larger-than-life hero. Some promotional material on Hillar states his claimed attempt to rescue his daughter from human traffickers was partly the basis of a 2008 Liam Neeson film called "Taken."

A report in the Monterey County Weekly last month quoted a State Department spokesman as saying there is no record of an American woman named Hillar having been kidnapped anywhere in the world in 1988. Monterey officials began looking into Hillar after the school was contacted by a reader of Hinton's website and some student veterans voiced suspicion of Hillar. When Hillar did not get back to the school with proof of his many claims, it ended its relationship with him.

Hillar's other venues began drying up, too.

The University of Oregon, where Hillar also taught his human trafficking course, quickly dropped him and reported his charade to police.

At George Mason University in Virginia, where he was booked to speak in November, the school canceled his appearance. A spokeswoman said: "If he had shown up, he would have been escorted off campus."

Hinton said fakers such as Hillar don't understand how small the special operations community is. It doesn't take long to establish whether someone is the real thing. He believes the Monterey Institute, which touted Hillar for five years as an adjunct professor, could have found him out and acted a lot sooner.

"They were showcasing this guy like a three-headed snake," he said. "Now, they're trying to say he was not an adjunct professor, but just a contractor. All they're trying to do is mitigate their liability."

To make amends to Hillar's former students, the Institute has offered to let them keep the credit they earned or remove it from their academic record and let them take a makeup course for no charge. Some students who socialized with Hillar out of the classroom don't think it's possible to make up for what happened.

"I bought this man a couple of beers at the Crown & Anchor after class," a student identified as Theresa W. wrote on a Monterey Institute website Nov. 22. "Will MIIS refund me this? I cried for his young daughter who was killed by human traffickers."

http://www.military.com/news/article/alleged-phony-sf-colonel-investigated.html

Surgicalcric
12-22-2010, 10:50
Chalk another one up for the good guys.

Now if we could find someone to do something about our soon to be retired E8 SF wannabe...

1stindoor
12-22-2010, 11:52
lawyers he's hired from Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe says Wolfgang can release the info, of course... :rolleyes:

Someone's been watching too many old Three Stooges movies.

PRB
12-22-2010, 13:52
Someone's been watching too many old Three Stooges movies.

or as Chico said " There ain't no Sanity Claus".....

nousdefions
01-18-2011, 16:17
University award recipient under investigation for fraud (http://www.elon.edu/pendulum/Story.aspx?id=4706)

by Caitlin O'Donnell, January 18, 2011
Bill Hillar, a 2010 recipient of the Hometown Hero award from Elon University for his work as an advocate against human trafficking, is currently being investigated for fraud by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security.

The investigation began with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Department in Portland, Ore. and has since moved to the federal level, according to Keith Bickford, director of the Oregon Anti- Human Trafficking Task Force.

Hillar was given the Hometown Hero award, along with Meaghan Murphy and Mark Watros, after being nominated by freshman Savannah Chaisson.

"I nominated Mr. Hillar to speak at Elon after he had spoken at a church in my town last year," she said. "I did not know about any of the accusations before nominating him or even before he came to Elon."

Chaisson said she submitted an essay and an application with his contact information, including e-mail, phone number and address, to nominate Hillar to speak.

Phil Smith, university chaplain, said freshmen nominate people for the award based on their interactions with them. Freshman class officers select the final three recipients.

"In this case, not as much was known personally, but it was still someone who had an impact," he said. "Anytime you don't know someone directly, there's just less you know about them, but his story was very impactful."

Suspicions come to the surface

Concerns regarding Hillar's background were first raised a few hours before the Hometown Heroes ceremony took place on Nov. 8. Smith said the university received a vague e-mail with an anonymous tip. The tipster claimed military involvement and accused Hillar of misrepresenting his military record.

"I did consult around a little bit to find out what would be a good thing to do here," Smith said. "With some good advice, I went and met with him."

Smith said he explained to Hillar the university had received an e-mail questioning the validity of his military record. Hillar said it had happened once before.

"At that point, you've got a person you're about to give an award to, and you question whether the accusing person just didn't like them," Smith said. "You can't just not give them the award because someone said that an hour before. And it had nothing to do with the award, which was for advocacy against human trafficking."

On Oct. 28, a week before the Hometown Hero ceremony, Jeff Hinton, a retired Special Forces Master Sergeant involved with the association of Professional Soldiers, published findings questioning Hillar's military experience.

Professional Soldiers is an online forum for members of the Special Forces. According to Hinton, Special Forces alludes to only one unit, the Green Berets, of which Hillar claimed to have been a part, specifically a retired colonel of the United States Army Special Forces.

"Over a year ago, we got an e-mail asking who Bill Hillar was," Hinton said in an interview. "That e-mail, once it hit Special Forces command, went out to the 'who's who' of Green Berets."

The small unit, which has existed for 54 years, has around 2,000 members around the country at any given time, he said.

"It would have been very hard for this guy to not have been known, and it went out and no one knew who he was," Hinton said. "I made it my goal to expose this guy. Nobody wants to question someone's credentials when they are viewed as a hero, but someone has to do it and not let them continue to scam (people)."

Probing for truth

Hinton began by sending for Hillar's records at the National Personnel Records Center. All members of the United States military have a record known as a DD214, which is part of any member of the military's resume when he or she applies for a job. The record also includes when the person left the service and how he or she was discharged, whether dishonorably or honorably, and what medals the person was awarded.

"You can get any person's DD214, the records are not classified," Hinton said. "Even after finding his date of birth and social security number, I couldn't get anything."

Hinton next enlisted the help of Mary and Chuck Schantag, who also work to expose Green Beret frauds across the country, and discovered Hillar served eight years in the Coast Guard and was never a member of the Special Forces.

After more research, Hinton said he discovered Hillar had conned multiple law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and Department of Homeland Security.

"I asked the FBI how he pulled this off, and they never thought to question his credentials," Hinton said. "The thing is, we get involved because no one else is going to question this guy."

Within two to three weeks of Hinton's published accusations, Hillar's website, citing his credentials and advertising his training workshops, was removed from the Internet and Hillar had essentially gone into hiding, according to Hinton. Around that time, he confirmed with the FBI that they were on his case.

"This is not the first time we've done this," he said. "We don't go after the guy who claims it sitting at the bar. We go after the guys that make themselves public figures and say they can offer training. We don't take lightly to people using the title to scam innocent people, especially for money."

Ending the 'scam'

Claiming to have qualifications as an elite member of the military, Hinton said Hillar charged individuals and organizations for military training.

This included the Monterey Institute of International Studies in Monterey, Calif. Hillar was contracted to lead a 15-hour, three-day workshop, worth one academic credit in 2005. Since then, he has led one workshop per semester, most recently on human trafficking in October of last year, according to Jason Warburg, executive director of communications at the Institute.

In early November, a student from the workshop came to the administration, expressing concern over whether Hillar's claims about his background were true. Besides claiming involvement with Special Forces, Hillar also asserted in a resume that he held a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon. Around the same time, postings from Professional Soldiers came to the attention of the Institute, which triggered an investigation, Warburg said.

"We reviewed the information, communicated to him that we needed documentation, and there was no response," he said. "We confirmed with the University of Oregon that he did not have a Ph.D. We concluded he has misrepresented his academic credentials and issued a statement of findings."

In the statement, Monterey Institute President Sunder Ramaswamy apologized for the incident and placed responsibility on the Institute for failing to uphold the quality and integrity of the instruction received there.

According to the statement, the Institute will offer students who attended Hillar's workshops the option of either keeping the credit on their academic records or removing it and enrolling in a comparable workshop at no cost.

Though Hillar, as a workshop instructor, was not subject to the pre-employment background check typical for all employees, the Institute has since changed its policy.

"Workshop instructors ... typically come to the attention of the academic administration through recommendations and a resume, proposed syllabus and list of references would generally be considered sufficient," the statement read. "However, as a result of this incident, the institute has extended the requirement for a full pre-engagement background check to any person who provides classroom instruction for academic credit."

Attempts to contact Hillar have been unsuccessful.

Precedent for the future

According to Smith, Elon's experience with Hillar will likely have little bearing on the future of the Hometown Hero award.

"If someone has misrepresented themself, I'd hate for that to mean we have to scrutinize everyone who's nominated," he said. "We're not going to do the same level of checking you would do if you were having someone come and teach or someone offering credit."

Smith said there has never been a situation presented in which a recipient of the award would have the recognition retracted. If the officers and nominator choose to do that, Smith said it could be a potential discussion.

"I don't feel like I'm giving the award as an individual, I feel like our office is sponsoring the award and it raises the question of whose award it is to rescind," Smith said. "This is an institution of higher education and we learn something every day. I imagine we'll learn something from all of this."

Richard
01-18-2011, 17:25
Concerns regarding Hillar's background were first raised a few hours before the Hometown Heroes ceremony took place on Nov. 8. Smith said the university received a vague e-mail with an anonymous tip. The tipster claimed military involvement and accused Hillar of misrepresenting his military record.

This is the 'vague e-mail' they're referring to which I sent to the Elon newspaper, Rex Waters (Associate Dean of Students), and Smith Jackson (Vice President and Dean of Student Life) regarding Hillar's award.

Mr Waters,

In reference to the below listed on Elon's web-site:

Bill Hillar, Millersville, Maryland
Nominated and introduced by Savannah Chaisson in connection with Rex Water’s Elon 101 class
Award presented by Kyrstin Wallach, Secretary

Bill Hillar is an activist who speaks to all who will listen about his personal experiences concerning the atrocities of human trafficking. In 1988 while traveling with school mates, his daughter was abducted and forced into the sex industry. Despite an exhaustive, multi-country search, Bill was unable to save his daughter from the fate that ultimately took her life. The movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson is partially based on Bill Hillar’s personal story. Rather than allow the loss of his daughter to devastate him for the rest of his life, Bill has dedicated his life to educating people on the largely overlooked problem of human trafficking.

You should be aware that one of your special guests for your 8 November event, William G Hillar, is neither a retired Special Forces Officer nor the source for the movie "Taken" as he has falsely claimed for quite some time now. He is a complete fraud who is currently being exposed for what he claims to be but is not through the efforts of the REAL Special Forces community. His real military service was as an enlisted radar operator in the USCG Reserve for 8 years from 1962 to 1970 and he has never lost a daughter as he claims.

We in the Special Forces community take such matters very seriously and you can read about our efforts to expose Hillar at:

William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=30904

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

X. Richard XXXXX
MAJ (Ret), Special Forces
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

I'll try to be more specific next time.

And so it goes...

Richard
01-18-2011, 17:56
FYI - this was my response to the Elon student paper when they contacted me after the fact of Hillar's award presentation asking about him.

Ms O'Donnell,

Thank you for your message posted to my FB page yesterday. I would be glad to talk with you about the Bill Hillar situation which we, the Special Forces community and MSG Hinton in particular, worked on for a year to fully investigate and expose.

FYI, we in SF take that title and the honor which goes with it very seriously, and, to that end, work diligently to 'out' those like Bill Hillar who fraudulently lay claim to the recognition and honor for which so many have worked so long and hard to attain.

Bill Hillar came to our attention more than a year ago when, as so often happens with these guys, one of our community saw his web-site and began asking if anyone knew him. Because nobody knew of him, and our size is such that the reputations of the senior officers and NCOs in SF are well known among us, we began looking into his claims - Special Forces Colonel; terrorism and human trafficking expert; daughter kidnapped, trafficked, and killed. Using both official and 'open' source materials, we found Bill Hillar to be a complete fraud, challenged him to come forth and refute our claims (which he did not do), and exposed him publicly to those he duped and defrauded with his web of deceitful lies.

As the documents found at the following link show, Bill Hillar was never in SF and, in fact, was a Radar Operator in the US Coast Guard Reserve for 8 years.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=354622&postcount=23

Because we have current and ex-SF living and serving throughout the world, we have a long reach and personally took it upon ourselves to contact the organizations, schools, and government agencies upon which Hillar had perpetrated his frauds. They then began looking into the matter themselves and his make-believe world really began to fall apart. Others, like the students at MIIS, also took up the campaign, forcing an otherwise recalcitrant administration to confront the truth about Hillar - as embarrassing as that may have been for someone who had touted his fake credentials and had granted academic credit based upon little but self-aggrandized lies, and who needed to contain the 'damage' this situation would certainly cause their academic reputation.

I personally wrote to several organizations about Hillar's lies, Elon being one when it was discovered that he was to be honored with an award for which he was wholly unqualified. I wrote the response to your paper's article on the forthcoming award on 11-6-2010 and also I wrote an e-mail giving the same information to the school's contact listed in the article - Associate Dean of Students Rex Waters.

You can follow our 'open' efforts to nail Hillar's hide to the proverbial wall at:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30904

I am one of the administrator's of the web-site and my user name is Richard.

Realize that there was much more taking place amongst the SF community behind the scenes on this matter, but that is for our purposes as there are many other Hillar-like weasels out there peddaling their lies, defrauding and endangering innocent people and governments globally, and dishonoring the vast majority of veterans who have served faithfully and see no reason to behave as Hillar did. These Hillar-like frauds need to know that they are in our sights and they will be exposed, that they cannot run from us and, if they try, will only be tired when we run them to ground.

For a better view of how big this 'stolen valor' issue really is, you should read Stolen Valor by BG Burkett and visit the POW Network's web-site at:

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm

Here is the Hillar link which is now posted on their web-site:

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies701.htm

FYI, we have worked very closely with the Schantag's for years on tracking down and exposing these liars and frauds, and truly appreciate all that they do for all of us.

SF MSG (Ret) Jeff Hinton was the lead for the Hillar exposure and can be contacted through the Professional Soldiers web-site at jdprofessionals@q.com

I wish you all the best in your task.

De oppresso liber

X. Richard XXXXX
Major (Retired), SF
Dallas, TX

(XXX) XXX-XXXX

And so it goes...

rdret1
01-18-2011, 18:25
University award recipient under investigation for fraud (http://www.elon.edu/pendulum/Story.aspx?id=4706)

"In this case, not as much was known personally, but it was still someone who had an impact," he said. "Anytime you don't know someone directly, there's just less you know about them, but his story was very impactful."

Impactful?! Is that a word?

Richard
01-18-2011, 18:32
Impactful?! Is that a word?

It certainly is in the business world - and is used about every 5th word in a business plan or marketing presentation. :rolleyes:

rdret1
01-18-2011, 18:35
It certainly is in the business world - and is used about every 5th word in a business plan or marketing presentation. :rolleyes:

Okay. I thought it might be along the lines of "orientating."

Jgood
01-18-2011, 19:20
This is the 'vague e-mail'

Yup pretty vague guess we have to break out the crayolas for colleges now on:rolleyes:

So by "not" rescinding the award they pretty much made it worthless and a slap in the face to everyone else that has recieved it.

Team Sergeant
01-25-2011, 11:24
Guess who got arrested today?:munchin

Bill Hillar, alleged inspiration for film 'Taken', arrested by FBI
By Brad BellJanuary 25, 2011 - 09:39 am ABC7 NewsThis story will be updated.

MILLERSVILLE, Md. — William Hillar was arrested by the FBI Tuesday morning, sources said. The 66-year-old is being charged with defrauding clients — including the FBI itself — who paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for his expertise in counterterrorism and human trafficking.

Hillar is best known for claiming his daughter was abducted in Asia and sold into slavery in 1988, and that the storyline was used in the 2008 movie Taken, starring Liam Neeson

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/01/bill-hillar-inspiration-for-film-taken-arrested-by-fbi-47382.html

The Reaper
01-25-2011, 11:26
Guess who got arrested today?:munchin

Bill Hillar, alleged inspiration for film 'Taken', arrested by FBI
By Brad BellJanuary 25, 2011 - 09:39 am ABC7 NewsThis story will be updated.

MILLERSVILLE, Md. — William Hillar was arrested by the FBI Tuesday morning, sources said. The 66-year-old is being charged with defrauding clients — including the FBI itself — who paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for his expertise in counterterrorism and human trafficking.

Hillar is best known for claiming his daughter was abducted in Asia and sold into slavery in 1988, and that the storyline was used in the 2008 movie Taken, starring Liam Neeson

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/01/bill-hillar-inspiration-for-film-taken-arrested-by-fbi-47382.html

Today is a good day.

Next will be the day he is convicted and sent to prison.

TR

Richard
01-25-2011, 11:39
Aus-effin'-gezeichnet!!! :lifter

sinjefe
01-25-2011, 11:40
Best news of the day!

SF_BHT
01-25-2011, 11:50
Great news..... It is about time the FBI did a case in less than 3-4 years.

Can not wait for the trial and to see what he gets.....

wet dog
01-25-2011, 11:52
Too good, I was thinking of another "Catch Me if You Can" movie to help recover the cost this guy caused to so many, including the FBI for not vetting an "expert".

Team Sergeant
01-25-2011, 12:03
bill hillar,

I told you that knock was coming.......:lifter

Some people never learn, you don't mess with the "Green Berets".:munchin

Team Sergeant

Pete
01-25-2011, 13:22
That news clip was something else.

Now did that neighbor just say that he said when he flew he went as a Federal Air Marshall?

She sure did not seem surprised he was arrested.

Team Sergeant
01-25-2011, 13:29
I've been in contact with the FBI (just a few minutes ago), they said the "criminal complaint" should be released later today.;)

I must admit that was pretty fast work, the FBI contacted me in NOV concerning bill hillar and arrested him this morning.;)

wet dog
01-25-2011, 13:34
I've been in contact with the FBI (just a few minutes ago), they said the "criminal complaint" should be released later today.;)

I must admit that was pretty fast work, the FBI contacted me in NOV concerning bill hillar and arrested him this morning.;)

I think we should start a Team Sergeant parody thread, something along....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjuLxyo-p4&feature=related

ZonieDiver
01-25-2011, 13:57
Glory Hallelujah! One down, who knows how many more to go.

JJ_BPK
01-25-2011, 15:38
Bill

Now is your opportunity to tuck real time sex slave trade tails under your belt.. The guys in the shower at cell block 6 are waiting for you...

:boohoo:boohoo:boohoo:boohoo

Snaquebite
01-25-2011, 16:53
Got the website wrong but....

“Some people just don’t learn,” said Jeff "JD" Hinton, a retired Army Special Forces master sergeant who exposed Hillar’s allegedly fraudulent background on the website professionalsoldiers.net. “You don't mess with the Green Berets. Mission complete.”

http://www.military.com/news/article/fbi-arrests-alleged-phony-sf-colonel.html?wh=wh

wet dog
01-25-2011, 17:00
Bill

Now is your opportunity to tuck real time sex slave trade tails under your belt.. The guys in the shower at cell block 6 are waiting for you...

:boohoo:boohoo:boohoo:boohoo

What was that line Sean Connery used in 'The Rock'?

"I guess I'm loosing my sex appeal."

This guy will never see a peaceful day after his prison term is up, he's 66 years old, he should just end it now. We will quickly forget his name soon enough.

"Hey Hammersmith, you and Letuli can take notice".

greenberetTFS
01-25-2011, 17:18
Got the website wrong but....

http://www.military.com/news/article/fbi-arrests-alleged-phony-sf-colonel.html?who=wh

Dumb ass's,but that's the military reporters for you!.........:rolleyes: Anyway, he's a dead duck now and for him it's all over but the shouting.........;) Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.................:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

nousdefions
01-25-2011, 18:35
Important safety reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjlM5A1jME

rdret1
01-25-2011, 19:06
That which you sow will return to you a thousand fold!

Snaquebite
01-25-2011, 21:54
Anyone want to try and get this info to Billy boy...Maybe he could convince the university to teach this as an on-line distance learning course.....(from his jail cell)

The Patterson School of Diplomacy of the University of Kentucky in Lexington is looking for a retired intelligence officer to teach one course a semester as an adjunct professor. One course will be an overview of the intelligence community and intelligence practices. The second course would utilize the applicant’s specialized expertise, be it S&T, area studies, operations, etc. The preferred candidate will have an advanced degree and some teaching experience, but all interested candidates are encouraged to apply. For more information about the program, please see www.uky.edu/PattersonSchool.

Team Sergeant
01-25-2011, 23:34
There's now about 25 news articles concerning bill hillar's arrest by the FBI.

I am wondering what is more interesting to the public, Hillar's tall tales or the fact he duped so many people?

Doesn't really matter, cause right now billy hillar is sitting in a jail-cell.....:lifter

I think I'll have a "cold-one" and celebrate.;)

Again, great job FBI guys!

TS

uplink5
01-25-2011, 23:46

TS

hehehehehehehe.........:D

Think I join you with a glass of scotch, and raise it in a toast.

TO THE REGIMENT......

and to you TS, great job back at'cha......:lifter

Team Sergeant
01-25-2011, 23:51
TO THE REGIMENT......

wet dog
01-25-2011, 23:54
To those like us,...

?authority
01-26-2011, 01:06
x

bluebb
01-26-2011, 04:17
As my gay brother would say....
OH SNAP

Great job TS

Blue

JJ_BPK
01-26-2011, 05:32
My plastic is on the Bar Jeff, anytime you're in the Conch Republic..

I did a little follow-up on the award Hillar received. Looks like the outfit that presented the award may not rescind it??

University award recipient under investigation for fraud
by Caitlin O'Donnell, January 18, 2011

Bill Hillar, a 2010 recipient of the Hometown Hero award from Elon University for his work as an advocate against human trafficking, is currently being investigated for fraud by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security.

continued...

http://www.elon.edu/pendulum/Story.aspx?id=4706

I posted a comment:

Quote: According to Smith, Elon's experience with Hillar will likely have little bearing on the future of the Hometown Hero award.

"If someone has misrepresented themself, I'd hate for that to mean we have to scrutinize everyone who's nominated," he said. "We're not going to do the same level of checking you would do if you were having someone come and teach or someone offering credit."

Smith said there has never been a situation presented in which a recipient of the award would have the recognition retracted. If the officers and nominator choose to do that, Smith said it could be a potential discussion.
End Quote.

Maybe Mr Smith should re-think his view on vetting recipients.

"William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD" ARRESTED...

http://www.military.com/news/article/fbi-arrests-alleged-phony-sf-colonel.html?wh=wh

Mr Hillar will be hanging his award in his cell at one of Maryland's correction facilities...

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/inmate/

1stindoor
01-26-2011, 07:37
There was a story about it in this morning's Fayetteville Observer. I just smiled.

Team Sergeant
01-26-2011, 08:02
Professionalsoldiers.com exposes Special Forces COL "bill hillar" as a lying fraud on 28 OCT 2010.

Small media picks up our story and runs with it.

25 Jan 2011 bill hillar is arrested by the FBI.

Now the big media, Washington Post, LA Times, Associated Press, USA Today, Denver Post, NYDailyNews, Military.com have now all reported the story.

Gotta love the internet. (bill doesn't)

B36reconman
01-26-2011, 08:49
Great job TS....:lifter

mffjm
01-26-2011, 08:52
Wow, that's something we don't hear often, but it's always appreciated when we do.
Thanks,
Dave

There's now about 25 news articles concerning bill hillar's arrest by the FBI.

I am wondering what is more interesting to the public, Hillar's tall tales or the fact he duped so many people?

Doesn't really matter, cause right now billy hillar is sitting in a jail-cell.....:lifter

TS

greenberetTFS
01-26-2011, 13:00
Hillar was in a tv broadcast here in Carrier,Ms.......;)

mffjm
01-26-2011, 18:19
It's really up to the Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) in the District where the offense occurred whether it will be prosecuted. It's especially difficult now while the Stolen Valor Act has been (hopefully temporarily) defanged by two Federal District Courts. Until it is ruled on by the Supreme Court, alot of AUSAs won't even look at a Stolen Valor Act case. That's why they had to find another Federal charge to go after this guy with. Trust me, there are alot of FBI guys and other Feds who are chomping at the bit to hammer these posers.
Dave

What's the difference between Hillar and Letuli? I mean other then the amount of financial gain one had over the other, both have profited from fraud.

While I really enjoy hanging with my FBI friends, they are not the Directors of the many programs, and I feel the FBI has only gone after Hillar because, well, they too were victims of his fraud. It is a reflection on their own processes or lack thereof in having this clown instruct the agency in blah, blah, blah....

The FBI is very busy with Ft. Hood, Tuscon, Radical Islam, White Supremacists, bank robbers, etc., but if they had the time to grab a man in hiding, why not pick up the guy who is sitting in a cubical answering the phone, "Hello, this is SGM Letuli. How may I help?"

SGM Letuli needs to be arrested, stripped of his rank, dis-honorably dischanged and serve a few years in Leavenwoth Prison. His accomplise, (one or all of them) need to be reprimanded as well, (lesson learned, check the facts before promoting).

The State AG and the Governor's Office needs to appolgize to the hard working men and women of their National Guard units.

If it helps, I will publically threaten Letuli by saying, "I will crush his bones by doing my best 'Jimmy the Superfly Snuka' body slam off the top rope", just so he can have his lawyer call me, and set a meeting of litigation.

sinjefe
01-26-2011, 20:58
Here is a news article at foxnews.com (front page):

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/26/maryland-man-arrested-lying-military-service/

Even Fox News gets it wrong. They credit the school for outing him. I guess the fact that he has been arrested is some consolation.

wet dog
01-26-2011, 21:39
It's really up to the Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) in the District where the offense occurred whether it will be prosecuted. It's especially difficult now while the Stolen Valor Act has been (hopefully temporarily) defanged by two Federal District Courts. Until it is ruled on by the Supreme Court, alot of AUSAs won't even look at a Stolen Valor Act case. That's why they had to find another Federal charge to go after this guy with. Trust me, there are alot of FBI guys and other Feds who are chomping at the bit to hammer these posers.
Dave

I know brother for all the reasons you stated, but it felt good just asking the question.

But with Latuli sitting in a cube waiting for retirement, it would seem so easy to simple knock on the cubical wall and say, "You're needed in the conference room."

Thanks for your answer.

Team Sergeant
01-26-2011, 23:31
Here is a news article at foxnews.com (front page):

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/26/maryland-man-arrested-lying-military-service/

Even Fox News gets it wrong. They credit the school for outing him. I guess the fact that he has been arrested is some consolation.

After students at the school raised questions about Hillar’s claims of serving in the Army's special forces, the school said it requested documentation from Hillar

No one "raised" questions about bill hillar until Professionalsoldiers.com exposed and called "COL bill hillar" a fraud and liar 28 Oct 2010.

That's ok, the "real" people, the ones bill was scamming know who busted him.;) And bill definitely knows who got him.... :D

SouthernDZ
01-27-2011, 03:53
The Foxnews article says...Hillar --who could face up to 20 years in prison--told the Sun he plans to return to teaching once released.

Whataguy, think of all the new stories he'll have to tell

1stindoor
01-27-2011, 07:07
The Foxnews article says...Hillar --who could face up to 20 years in prison--told the Sun he plans to return to teaching once released.

Whataguy, think of all the new stories he'll have to tell

Hillar 101: How to fabricate your background.
Hillar 201: How to network yourself into a well paying consulting job.
Hillar 301: How to market your story into a book/movie deal.
Hillar 401: How NOT to piss of Jeff.

Team Sergeant
01-27-2011, 11:08
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT
AUSA VICKIE E. LEDUC or
MARCIA MURPHY at 410-209-4885
January 25, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/md
MILLERSVILLE MAN CHARGED IN FRAUD SCHEME

Allegedly Lied about Special Forces and Terrorism Experience
in order to Gain Teaching Employment

Baltimore, Maryland - William G. Hillar, age 66, of Millersville, Maryland, has been charged by criminal complaint with mail fraud in connection with an alleged scheme to lie about his military experience and academic credentials in order to gain employment for teaching and training. The complaint was filed on January 21, 2011 and unsealed today upon his arrest.

Hillar had an initial appearance today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mildred Methvin in U.S. District Court in Baltimore. Magistrate Judge Methvin ordered that Hillar be detained after he was unable to meet the conditions set by the Judge for his release, which include having a third party custodian and a secured $50,000 bond, among other conditions.

The complaint was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Special Agent in Charge Robert Craig of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service - Mid-Atlantic Field Office.

“The complaint alleges that William G. Hillar was living a lie and basing his entire career on experience he did not have and credentials that he did not earn,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein. “He was never a colonel, never served in the U.S. Army, never was deployed to exotic locales and never received training in counter-terrorism and psychological warfare while in the armed forces.”

“The information of Mr. Hillar's alleged fraud came to the FBI's attention from concerned citizens, including former members of the Special Forces community. This investigation is an example of the difficulty the public faces trying to verify the accuracy of information on the Internet,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely.

According to the affidavits in support of the complaint and search warrant, Hillar has been teaching, leading workshops, giving speeches and conducting training for public and private sector clients for at least the past 10 years under false pretenses. Hillar allegedly conducted training through a business named “Bill Hillar Training” that lists a residence on Old Orchard Circle in Millersville as its business address. An internet search conducted on November 22, 2010 on a website used by the business revealed that that website was no longer in operation. However, archived web pages were found which allegedly included a biography of Bill Hillar, courses taught, client testimonials, training for public occupations and contact information. All information had previously been posted on Hillar’s web page prior to the web site being taken down. That website allegedly contained a "Bio Info" page that stated "William G. Hillar is a retired Colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces. He has served in Asia, the Middle East, and Central and South America, where his diverse training and experiences included tactical counter-terrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine and psychological warfare." It also stated that Hillar "holds a B.A. in Psychology, and M.A. in Education, a Ph.D. in Health Education, and an honorary Doctorate in Intercultural Relations."

The supporting affidavits further allege that a search of military and civilian records for Hillar in November 2010 revealed that Hillar had not served with the U.S. Army, but rather was an enlisted sailor in the U.S. Coast Guard reserves from 1962 to 1970, achieving the rate of Radarman 3. During that time, Hillar was never deployed at the locations stated on his website, nor was Hillar given any Coast Guard training in tactical counter-terrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine and psychological warfare. Hillar attended the University of Oregon from 1970 to 1973, but was not awarded a Ph.D.

The affidavits further allege that most recently, since the spring of 2005, Hillar taught 12 courses/workshops at an institute for international studies in California. One such workshop was titled “Tactical Counter Terrorism.” The institute’s official who hired Hillar allegedly did so based upon Hillar’s purported work experience and academic credentials as falsely stated on the website. The institute paid Hillar by mailing checks totaling $32,300 to Hillar’s home address in Millersville. In November 2010, the institute offered free substitute courses to all students who had taken courses taught by Hillar.

According to the affidavits, evidence indicates Hillar has been paid more than $100,000 in the course of the scheme by a variety of public and private institutions, including law enforcement agencies.

Hillar faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

A complaint is not a finding of guilt. An individual charged by complaint is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty at some later criminal proceedings.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the FBI and the Defense Criminal Investigative Service for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Leo Wise, who is prosecuting the case.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/md/Public-Affairs/press_releases/press08/MillersvilleManChargedinFraudScheme.html

Team Sergeant
01-27-2011, 11:23
Crime & Public Safety,Maryland crimeBill Hillar case: Credit for the military fraud arrest should go to website, too
January 27, 2011 - 10:56 AM
By Sarah Larimer (Twitter @slarimer)

Earlier this week, the FBI took into custody a Maryland man who they believe lied about his military and educational background. Part of the credit for the arrest went to California students, former military men themselves, who reported Hillar to the Monterey Institute of International Studies. But part of it also belongs to a social networking website for Green Berets, which discovered problems with Bill Hillar's background last October.

"They didn't do anything. They didn't do anything until we exposed him," says Jeff Hinton, a retired Master Sergeant. "Which really irritates the snot out of us."

A thread entitled "William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD" appeared on the website www.professionalsoldiers.com in October.

"Another Special Forces Fraud bagged and tagged," the post reads. "If anyone would like to write some of Bill's clients and inform them of his fraud feel free. I have Bill's "Reserve Coast Guard Radarman" records."

People did write, according to Hinton. Organizations that worked with Hillar were notified by other special forces officers who visit the site, he says. The takedown began last year, when Hinton received a letter asking him to check out Hillar.

That kind of request comes in a lot, Hinton says, and he's been outed frauds before. This time, Hillar claimed to be a retired Army special forces officer, a small, elite group of soldiers, who apparently didn't remember his name.

"For him to say he's in special forces and no one knew him,' Hillar says. "That's complete cow manure."

At first, Hinton says he thought Hillar might have been part of a National Guard unit. He checked out his military records and examined his website. Among the tipoffs: the term "tactical counterterrorism," which was a course topic Hillar listed.

"There's no such thing as the term 'tactical counterterrorism,'" Hinton says.

Hillar, was taken into custody at his Millersville, Md., home Tuesday. Authorities say they also believe he faked his educational credentials.

"These guys are using our reputation to scam innocent people," Hinton says. "It really makes us angry."

Tags:Bill Hillar , Green Berets , Special Forces

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-justice/2011/01/bill-hillar-case-credit-for-the-military-fraud-arrest-should-go-to-website-too-7759.html

Team Sergeant
01-27-2011, 11:49
Professionalsoldiers.com investigation of : William G Hillar aka Bill Hillar.

Mon 10/19/2009 12:28 PM Professionalsoldiers.com receives an email from a retired Special Forces soldier at Special Forces Command asking if anyone knew who COL Bill Hillar was?

About 10/25/2009 Professionalsoldiers.com sends a FOIA request to the National Personnel Records Center( NPRC) requesting William G Hillar's military records.

11/17/2009 The request comes back from the National Personnel Records Center, they were unable to locate any record of William G Hillar.

The case goes cold for a few months as Professionalsoldiers.com is unable locate William G Hillar's date of birth or social security number for a comprehensive records search.

About 10/4/2010 Professionalsoldiers.com prepares to submit a FOIA to the United States Army Special Operations Command concerning William G Hillar.

10/4/2010 Professionalsoldiers.com submits a FOIA to the United States Army Special Operations Command concerning William G Hillar.

10/22/2010 Professionalsoldiers.com contacts P.O.W. Network - Chuck and Mary Schantag requesting assistance. Chuck and Mary Schantag respond and locate William G Hillar's military records at the NPRC. and send them to ProfessionalSoldiers.com

27 Oct 2010 Professionalsoldiers.com receives a FOIA from the United States Army Special Operations Command concerning William G Hillar. No record found concerning William G Hillar aka Bill Hillar.

28 Oct 2010 Professionalsoldiers.com exposes William G Hillar aka Bill Hillar as a complete fraud.

The documents being used by all the media were obtained by P.O.W. Network - Chuck and Mary Schantag and Professionalsoldiers.com.

Before 28 OCT 2010 no one called Special Forces COL William G Hillar aka Bill Hillar a fraud.

10/28/2010 Professionalsoldiers.com is contacted by an individual from the FBI National Academy Associates, Inc. The FBI involvement starts.

11/4/2010 4:21 PM a former female student from the Monterey Institute of International Studies sends email to Professionalsoldiers.com stating they took counterterrorist classes from Special Forces COL William G Hillar.

Mon 11/8/2010 Monterey Institute of International Studies student Brian Hubbs contacts Professionalsoldiers.com.

November 16, 2010 the first reporter contacts Professionalsoldiers.com requesting information concerning William G. Hillar. www.montereycountyweekly.com

November 18, 2010 Larry Parsons [lparsons@montereyherald.com] contacts Professionalsoldiers.com requests information on William G Hillar, why Professionalsoldiers.com called Hillar a fraud. Larry Parsons then states "I am on a deadline this afternoon." Professionalsoldiers.com does not respond kindly to Larry Parsons and Mr. Parsons then writes his "own" version of the Bill Hillar story. Many small media outlets pick up on Larry Parsons version of the Bill Hillar story.

The rest is history.
Team Sergeant

koz
01-27-2011, 11:54
Well done TS - Thank you for protecting the Honor of the Regiment.

Snaquebite
01-31-2011, 18:00
Even Army Times got the website address wrong....

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/01/army-faker-faces-fraud-charges-013111/

The Reaper
01-31-2011, 18:18
Still leads here. :D

TR

Snaquebite
01-31-2011, 18:32
TR, Good observation. Didn't click it when I read the article.

Team Sergeant
01-31-2011, 20:57
Alleged faker faces mail fraud charges

Claimed he was Green Beret colonel, counterterrorism expert
By Joe Gould - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Jan 31, 2011 11:55:10 EST

Lecturer William G. Hillar inspired his audience with what he said was his life story: He had tried to rescue his daughter from human traffickers and inspired the hit movie “Taken.”

He was a retired Green Beret colonel and counterterrorism expert, he said.

According to prosecutors, it was not his really his life, it was lies.

Hillar, 66, was charged with mail fraud for his alleged scheme to fake his military experience and academic credentials to gain employment for teaching and training.

The complaint was unsealed upon his arrest Jan. 25. Hillar appeared in U.S. District Court in Baltimore, where a judge ordered that he be detained in lieu of $50,000 bond.

“The complaint alleges that William G. Hillar was living a lie and basing his entire career on experience he did not have and credentials that he did not earn,” U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said in a statement. “He was never a colonel, never served in the U.S. Army, never was deployed to exotic locales and never received training in counterterrorism and psychological warfare while in the armed forces.”

FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely said in a statement that Hillar's deception was revealed by members of the Special Forces community. In late October, questions were raised about Hillar’s credentials in a forum thread at professionalsoldiers.org, a website dedicated to the Special Forces community.

rdret1
02-01-2011, 16:11
The worst part of this entire sham is the effect it will, or has had, on the legitimate organizations that hitched themselves to his fraud. The ripples will last a long time.

Team Sergeant
02-04-2011, 12:17
Looky looky at the list of organizations bill hillar scammed!!!!!!

You know those law enforcement agencies hate to see their own names on that list............:rolleyes:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48108667/William-Hillar-Indictment

The Reaper
02-04-2011, 12:20
Looky looky at the list of organizations bill hillar scammed!!!!!!

You know those law enforcement agencies hate to see their own names on that list............:rolleyes:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48108667/William-Hillar-Indictment

Not to mention the US Army.

You would think someone at Aberdeen would have pulled his DD214 before hiring him and paying money.

TR

wet dog
02-04-2011, 12:25

You would think someone at Aberdeen would have pulled his DD214 before hiring him and paying money.

TR

Not in a "point click society", you would think checking someone out would be easier today, then days long ago.

Brother, I bet you used to write requests in triplicate using carbon paper, and had them hand delivered.

Team Sergeant
02-04-2011, 12:28
I figure had we not exposed bill hillar when we did, at the rate he was going he would have soon become a Special Forces General and been offered and accepted the job of White House Chief of Staff...... :rolleyes:

1stindoor
02-04-2011, 15:14
...and been offered and accepted the job of White House Chief of Staff...... :rolleyes:

Only to quit halfway through and run for the mayor of Chicago.

rdret1
02-05-2011, 05:01
The one I find kind of comical though is the FBI providing about $3500 to his bank account, then charging him. They probably can't wait to get his property into auction!

greenberetTFS
02-05-2011, 06:37

TR

TR,

Let's face it,he fu*ked with the wrong guys.... :mad: He can think about that while he spends the rest of his life in jail......:boohoo You know what's interesting,take a stroll down memory lane and the original first comments about this pr*ck............:mad:

Ret10Echo
02-05-2011, 07:09
Only to quit halfway through and run for the mayor of Chicago.

Nice...

But any political appointment is possible simply without paying taxes

Team Sergeant
02-05-2011, 08:03
The one I find kind of comical though is the FBI providing about $3500 to his bank account, then charging him. They probably can't wait to get his property into auction!

Whould that not be considered a "conflict of interest"?:D

Bill Harsey
02-11-2011, 12:42
Tomorrow morning, 12 Feb. at 7:00 am West Coast time on KPNW radio, Eugene Oregon, the host of the Saturday morning only show, Peter Laufer, is going to talk about Bill Hillar.

I heard Peter Laufer's promo for the show today.

Mr. Laufer is going to propose that since Bill Hillar did a good job teaching according to his students what is the problem with his fudging his creds just a little bit?

Mr. Laufer seemed to be serious.

The phone to KPNW's studio line is: 541-485-5769

I cannot find any live streaming info for the show.
any responses here will be directed to the show host Peter Laufer.

longrange1947
02-11-2011, 12:48
That goes with students attitudes towards cheating. Also most students find instructors "good" if htey are entertainnig, not if they are putting a godo solid "product" i.e., facts. The studetns would not know if he was putting out bogus crap as they are there to learn, not evaluate the information for completeness, correctness, or just plain BS.

This tells me that the radio host is a liberal idiot.

My 2 cents,

CSB
02-11-2011, 13:04
Page 3 of the Indictment:

Bill Harsey
02-12-2011, 09:25
Looks like the KPNW radio talk show today will start at the 8:00 hour west coast time.

Ambush Master
02-12-2011, 10:49
I called into the Show and hopefully Mr. Bill will be able to capture the Audio. I think it went WELL!! The closing question concerned HONOR............after my response, the host made a closing comment...to the effect .." that they would be back after this Train Wreck". Waiting for the actual audio!!

Later
Martin

Team Sergeant
02-13-2011, 19:12
I missed this one, good article Caitlin.
[Don't mess with that Hinton dude!:munchin]
Team Sergeant

Elon award recipient arrested
by Caitlin O'Donnell, February 1, 2011

According to multiple news sources, the FBI arrested Bill Hillar, a 2010 recipient of the Hometown Hero award from Elon University, at his home in Maryland Jan. 25. He is charged with defrauding clients after charging them for his expertise with the Green Berets, and claiming to have extensive military experience.

Hillar claimed to have been a retired colonel of the United States Army Special Forces.

The investigation began with the MultnomahCountySheriff'sDepartment in Portland, Ore., and moved to the federal level, according to Keith Bickford, director of the Oregon Anti- Human Trafficking Task Force. Hillar could not be reached for comment.

Jeff Hinton, a retired Special Forces Master Sergeant with the association of Professional Soldiers, along with Mary and Chuck Schantag, who also work to expose Green Beret fraud, discovered that Hillar served eight years in the Coast Guard and was never a member of the Special Forces.

"This is not the first time we've done this," Hinton said. "We don't go after the guy who claims it sitting at the bar. We go after the guys that make themselves public figures and say they can offer training."

Elon University first received notice concerning the validity of Hillar's background a few hours before the Hometown Hero ceremony took place Nov. 8.

Phil Smith, university chaplain, said the university received an e-mail with an anonymous tip. The tipster claimed military involvement and accused Hillar of misrepresenting his military record.

Hillar was awarded for his work as an advocate against human trafficking. Elon University freshmen nominate people for the award based on their interactions with them, and freshmen class officers select the final three recipients.

Smith met with Hillar before the ceremony and explained to him that the university had received an e-mail questioning the validity of his military record, to which Hillar said that it had happened once before.

His elaborate story began to unravel last year after students at the Monterey Institute of International Studies began to question his credentials. Around the same time, Hinton began investigating Hillar's records and published findings questioning Hillar's military record on Oct. 28.

Hinton found Hillar had fabricated information about his military record and conned multiple law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and Department of Homeland Security.

Within two weeks of Hinton's published accusations, Hillar's website, citing his credentials and advertising his training workshops, was removed from the Internet. Around that time, Hinton confirmed that the FBI was on Hillar's case.

Hinton has been in contact with the FBI about the investigation concerning Hillar and said he was contacted the morning of Jan. 25 with news of his arrest.

"Bill's con-games are over," Hinton said.

http://www.elon.edu/pendulum/Story.aspx?id=4750

Richard
02-13-2011, 19:18
"Anonymous" tipster my @$$! I gave them my name, rank, address, and home phone number.

Team Sergeant
02-13-2011, 19:21
"Anonymous" tipster my @$$! I gave them my name, rank, address, and home phone number.

Sure you did deepthroat, sure you did........:D

Richard
02-13-2011, 19:36
Nrext time I'm sending them Glen Wheaton's name and address - that'll teach 'em! And if they don't contact him, they can at least take the dead goat he'll send their way and enjoy some good cabrito! :D :D

The Reaper
02-13-2011, 20:04
BS. I notified them in an email more than 24 hours in advance that Hillar was a fake as well.

CYA.

TR

MVP
03-17-2011, 09:47
Bill is back in the news

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_17633594?nclick_check=1#

:munchin

MVP

glebo
03-17-2011, 10:02
Maybe he can start a new lecture series....."what NOT to do"

Team Sergeant
03-17-2011, 16:48
Larry Parsons still likes to get that "dig" in there when he knows it was not the students that caught Hillar......:munchin

Larry Parsons, next time the FBI contacts me concerning Hillar I will not be giving you the story, again, (just like last time). I contacted "all" the other reporters, 'cept Larry Parsons.

We should write a book about busting individuals like hillar, lawdermilk, hammersmith, letuli, etc etc etc and make a few bucks off their lies.....:D

"Hillar, 66, of Millersville, Md., was arrested by the FBI Jan. 25 as his alleged impersonation as a globe-trotting, paramilitary operative unraveled last fall after MIIS students began questioning his credentials."

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_17633594?nclick_check=1#

Pete
03-17-2011, 18:22
A car, a bike & $1,600.

I guess his mate for life has bailed.

Oh how his world has gotten soooooo small.

Stras
03-17-2011, 18:24
A car, a bike & $1,600.

I guess his mate for life has bailed.

Oh how his world has gotten soooooo small.

And the bike is probably a Huffy.......:D

B36reconman
03-17-2011, 18:45
A really good article giving credit where credit is do as related to the sinking of ole Bill...

Bill Joyner
03-18-2011, 08:05
And the bike is probably a Huffy.......:D

What's wrong with a huffy!!? I outrode all but two guys on the team on a Huffy once upon a time(Couldn't do it now of course);)

nousdefions
03-18-2011, 09:00
I just read today that Liam Neeson has signed up for Taken 2. We now know how that ends ..... Taken 2 Jail ;)

Enjoy!

Team Sergeant
03-18-2011, 21:30
Yup, I posted that a long long time ago. I talked to the FBI a day or so after ProfessionalSoldiers.com exposed Bill Hillar.....

And I've been in contact with the FBI throughout the ordeal. Edit to add: The FBI agent I spoke to said, anytime we have another like Bill Hillar, feel free to call him direct.

Hey Larry Parsons, has the FBI been in contact with the "students" that you say exposed Bill Hillar?:rolleyes:

"FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely said in a statement that Hillar's deception was revealed by members of the Special Forces community. In late October, questions were raised about Hillar’s credentials in a forum thread at professionalsoldiers.org, a website dedicated to the Special Forces community."

JJ_BPK
03-19-2011, 05:36
Page 3 of the Indictment:

CSB, Is this the short list??

So little money spread over a fair amount of time. I would have thought that Bill's "list" would be 4 - 5 times as long.

At this rate of employment, poor Bill would qualify for food stamps??

Just curious... :munchin

greenberetTFS
03-19-2011, 05:53
I just read today that Liam Neeson has signed up for Taken 2. We now know how that ends ..... Taken 2 Jail

Enjoy!

They should go to Hillar for his "expertise" so he can get some money for a lawyer!...:rolleyes::eek::p

nousdefions
03-19-2011, 07:54

So little money spread over a fair amount of time. I would have thought that Bill's "list" would be 4 - 5 times as long.

Just curious... :munchin

This bothers me too, there has to be more out there. That waterfront property in Md. aint' cheap!

Team Sergeant
03-19-2011, 08:00
This bothers me too, there has to be more out there. That waterfront property in Md. aint' cheap!

Someone told me Bill was shacking up with a "lawyer". (I wonder if she charged him for her time?)

CSB
03-19-2011, 09:34
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK

That was the list in the original indictment.

I have not checked to see if any amendments have been made. Federal pleadings are long and detailed, an there is a deliberate effort to "shoot puppies in a barrel" by charging only exactly what they think they can prove.

JJ_BPK
03-19-2011, 09:58
, an there is a deliberate effort to "shoot puppies in a barrel" by charging only exactly what they think they can prove.

I figured it was a DA tactic. Grab the easy to convict items and add lesses later,, maybe during plea deal??

Snaquebite
03-29-2011, 17:08
http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/03/accused-military-fraud-pleads-guilty-57469.html

The man who billed himself as a former special forces officer pleaded guilty to wire fraud in connection with a scheme to lie about his military experience and academic credentials in order to get jobs teaching and training.

Great job PS.com..........................

Team Sergeant
03-29-2011, 22:57
Lots of "stories" concerning bill hillar pleading guilty today, but, this has to be my personal favorite, written by the Associated Press and published by the Army Times..........:rolleyes:

Md. faker pleads guilty to lying about service

The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 19:30:40 EDT

BALTIMORE — A Millersville man has pleaded guilty to wire fraud in a scheme to lie about his military experience and academic credentials to get jobs as a teacher and trainer, federal prosecutors said.

William Hillar, 66, entered the plea on Tuesday, authorities said. He agreed to pay more than $170,000 in restitution and do 500 hours of community service at Maryland state veterans cemeteries.

Hillar will be sentenced July 20.

According to his plea agreement, for 12 years, Hillar was paid to teach, lead workshops, give speeches and conduct training on counterterrorism and other subjects.

Hillar falsely claimed to be a retired colonel who had served in Army Special Services and hold a Ph.D. in health education.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/ap-army-faker-pleads-guilty-to-lying-032911/

PRB
03-29-2011, 23:21
Hillar falsely claimed to be a retired colonel who had served in Army Special Services ...

Yeah, he drove the water skiing speedboat at Vung Tau.

sinjefe
03-30-2011, 06:17
Hillar falsely claimed to be a human being.

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 08:07
Larry Parsons a day late and wrong info again. Great "reporting" Larry. (I'm not an English Major and don't have to be to know this paragraph was written poorly.)

"Investigators began looking into Hillar and his reputed expertise on counterterrorism, human trafficking, drug trafficking and other high-action topics after MIIS students who were military veterans questioned the veracity of his exploits last fall. Members of the Special Forces community dug into his claims."

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_17732238?nclick_check=1

MVP
03-30-2011, 08:48
You have to love this headline!

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/weblogs/news-blog/2011/mar/29/fake-bad-ass-pleads-guilty/

MVP

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 09:17
I received an email from the FBI agent on this case this morning. I replied to him:

"This individual also had the interest of SF Command, please tell all concerned with the case "thank you" from the Special Forces community."

De Oppresso Liber,
Jeff

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 10:00
Millersville Man Pleads Guilty to Posing as a Retired Army Special Forces Colonel

Lied for 12 Years About Special Forces and Terrorism Experience to Gain Teaching Employment

U.S. Attorney’s Office
March 29, 2011 District of Maryland
(410) 209-4800

— filed under: Press Release
BALTIMORE—William G. Hillar, age 66, of Millersville, Maryland, pleaded guilty today to wire fraud in connection with a scheme to lie about his military experience and academic credentials in order to gain employment for teaching and training.

The plea agreement was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; and Special Agent in Charge Robert Craig of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service - Mid-Atlantic Field Office.

“William G. Hillar lived a lie and based his teaching career on military experience he did not have and credentials that he did not earn,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein. “He was never a colonel, never served in the U.S. Army or the Special Forces, never was deployed to exotic locales, and never received training in counterterrorism and psychological warfare while in the armed forces.”

“Mr. Hillar’s fraudulent representations came to the FBI’s attention from concerned citizens, including former members of the Special Forces community. This investigation is an example of the difficulty the public faces trying to verify the accuracy of information on the Internet,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely.

“The Defense Criminal Investigative Service is committed to supporting America’s warfighters and protecting the interest of the American taxpayers,” said Robert Craig, Special Agent in Charge for the DCIS Mid-Atlantic Field Office. “The service members that comprise the Department of Defense’s elite special warfare units have undergone years of specialized training and sacrifice to be called Special Forces. To misuse their titles for personal gain is unconscionable and discredits those that served and continue to serve the United States of America.”

According to Hillar’s plea agreement, from around 1998 to 2010, private and public sector organizations paid Hillar at least $171,415 for teaching, leading workshops, giving speeches, and conducting training on counterterrorism, drug trafficking, human trafficking, and related topics. Hillar conducted these activities through a business named “Bill Hillar Training.”

In order to secure these employments, Hillar falsely represented in resumes, biographical statements and on the Internet that: “William G. Hillar is a retired Colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces. He has served in Asia, the Middle East, and Central and South America, where his diverse training and experiences included tactical counter-terrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine and psychological warfare.” Hillar also represented that he received a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon.

Hillar never served in the U.S. Army or the Special Forces and never attained the rank of Colonel. Hillar never served in Asia, the Middle East, or Central and South America, and did not acquire in those locales training and experiences in counterterrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine, or psychological warfare. Hillar did serve in the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve as an enlisted sailor from 1962 to 1970, achieving the rate of Radarman, Petty Officer Third Class.

Hillar faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. As part of his plea agreement, Hillar has agreed to pay restitution of $171,415, and perform no less than 500 community hours at the Maryland State Veterans Cemeteries. U.S. District Judge William D. Quarles, Jr. scheduled sentencing for July 20, 2011 at 9:00 a.m.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the FBI and the Defense Criminal Investigative Service for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Leo Wise, who is prosecuting the case.

http://www.fbi.gov/baltimore/press-releases/2011/millersville-man-pleads-guilty-to-posing-as-a-retired-army-special-forces-colonel

Richard
03-30-2011, 10:12
Great "reporting" Larry.

Yep, typical reporting by a 'word weasel'...

Snaquebite
03-30-2011, 10:18
How many folks in the area that could attend the sentencing hearing?

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 10:21
How many folks in the area that could attend the sentencing hearing?

Should I go and sit there in full dress Greens, beret in hand? :munchin

Snaquebite
03-30-2011, 10:22

Perfect

I think your FBI friend might approve also.

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 10:23
Perfect

He'd have a heart attack......

I'll think about it, I owe a few FBI agents a beer.:D

bluebb
03-30-2011, 14:42
Job well done!

Blue

Dusty
03-30-2011, 14:43

You ain't got time, Bro...

Stras
03-30-2011, 16:40
You ain't got time, Bro...

There are some Active Duty SF types there in the area.

Theres also several of our retired Brethren in the State Department and other 3 letter agencies in the not so far away vicinity.

TS, submit your TDY packet. send me your snail mail address via PM and I send you some traveling $$.

f50lrrp
03-30-2011, 17:53
Way to go, Jeff! To think that this scumbag actually taught at MIIS, in my AO is like a slap in the Face!

Ambush Master
03-30-2011, 19:20
He'd have a heart attack......

I'll think about it, I owe a few FBI agents a beer.:D

Our FBI friend in Austin is up in that AO!!

Later
Martin

Team Sergeant
03-30-2011, 19:28
http://www.military.com/news/article/phony-sf-colonel-takes-guilty-plea.html

SouthernDZ
03-31-2011, 11:27
....Under the terms of the plea agreement he will pay restitution of $171,415 and perform at least 500 hours of community service at the Maryland State Veterans Cemeteries....

There's a Judge with a refined sense of justice!:D

Snaquebite
03-31-2011, 11:42
....Under the terms of the plea agreement he will pay restitution of $171,415 and perform at least 500 hours of community service at the Maryland State Veterans Cemeteries....

There should be some jail time in this also.....

Team Sergeant
03-31-2011, 11:43

I know who added that, it wasn't the judge. ;)

Thanks guys, you know who you are.....

Team Sergeant

JJ_BPK
03-31-2011, 11:50
.Hillar could get up to 20 years in prison when he's sentenced on July 20, the FBI said in a statement. Under the terms of the plea agreement he will pay restitution of $171,415 and perform at least 500 hours of community service at the Maryland State Veterans Cemeteries.

He'll be so bow-legged from his shower-boy duties, he'll be a perfect candidate for picking up,,,

Never mind...

greenberetTFS
03-31-2011, 12:26
He'll be so bow-legged from his shower-boy duties, he'll be a perfect candidate for picking up,,,

Never mind...

Beautiful job JJ.......:lifter They may give him a break because of his age,if not he'll probably die in prison wishing he never heard of PS.com or Jeff Hinton........:D;)

Richard
03-31-2011, 12:39
He'll be so bow-legged from his shower-boy duties, he'll be a perfect candidate for picking up...

My hope is that Hillar will be able to enjoy a successful post-prison second career renting his remodeled @$$ out as a temp storage hanger for 777 jumbo jets.

Pete
03-31-2011, 13:00
I guess he always has the option of pulling a Boorda.

But that would take balls.

Dozer523
03-31-2011, 16:06
I guess he always has the option of pulling a Boorda.
But that would take balls. Cold.
I hope 500 hours working (and praying) and walking the grounds hallowed by the selfless sacrifice of real Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen will bring him to a real realization of what he is and what he's done . . . and haunt him.

longrange1947
04-01-2011, 07:37
Cold.
I hope 500 hours working (and praying) and walking the grounds hallowed by the selfless sacrifice of real Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen will bring him to a real realization of what he is and what he's done . . . and haunt him.

He would have to know shame and that means having honor. That is obviously lacking. He is an unredeemable turd.

The Reaper
04-01-2011, 09:43
He would have to know shame and that means having honor. That is obviously lacking. He is an unredeemable turd.

Concur.

TR

Dozer523
04-03-2011, 21:50
He would have to know shame and that means having honor. That is obviously lacking. He is an unredeemable turd.Yeah. True.

Pete
04-04-2011, 14:28
Our boy has made it into the print edition of this week's Army Times, page 26.

"Reputed counter-terrorism expert proves a fraud, pleads guilty"

Should be up in the on line edition before too long.

LongWire
04-04-2011, 23:39
Well Done Guys!!!!!!

Deadhead 63A1
04-05-2011, 16:50
I just heard from my inlaws that it was written up in their local "Hometown" newspaper in Annapolis, MD. The article mentioned his wife filed for divorce in December. I hadn't heard about that aspect yet. His whole world is seriously falling apart right now...

glebo
04-05-2011, 17:25
I just heard from my inlaws that it was written up in their local "Hometown" newspaper in Annapolis, MD. The article mentioned his wife filed for divorce in December. I hadn't heard about that aspect yet. His whole world is seriously falling apart right now...

aaawwww...I feel for him....NOT:mad:

Kyobanim
04-05-2011, 19:51
You can see a picture of his wife here. She's describing something about him but I can't figure out what it is.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32984

1stindoor
04-06-2011, 09:51
You can see a picture of his wife here. She's describing something about him but I can't figure out what it is.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32984

I knew it!...I knew that link was going to go to that picture. I wisely set down my coffee cup before I clicked on it.

Mr Furious
04-06-2011, 19:32
His whole world is seriously falling apart right now...

Exactly! Kinda sorta like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/schmoyoho#p/a/u/0/9QS0q3mGPGg

...c’mon bro, he’s got tiger blood…WINNING!

Roguish Lawyer
04-11-2011, 13:44
Today's Army Times:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/04/army-reputed-counter-terrorism-expert-pleads-guilty-040911/

Snaquebite
04-11-2011, 13:50
Expect a lot of traffic.....

FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely said in a statement that Hillar’s deception was revealed by members of the Special Forces community. In late October, questions were raised about Hillar’s credentials in a forum thread at professionalsoldiers.org, a website dedicated to the Special Forces community.

Richard
04-11-2011, 14:41
Expect a lot of traffic.....

"We have 'operators' standing by to take their questions..." :p

Roguish Lawyer
04-11-2011, 15:43

/rimshot

Richard will be at Caesar's all week, folks!

Team Sergeant
04-11-2011, 16:57
"In late October, questions were raised"

There were no "questions raised" I'm fairly certain I called Bill Hillar a flat out liar and fraud on 28th of Oct 2010......

William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William G. Hillar Has never been a member of the US Army Special Forces.

COL in Special Forces, only in his dreams. Thats quite a client list Bill! I wonder if any are going to bring FRAUD charges against you?

Another Special Forces Fraud bagged and tagged. If anyone would like to write some of Bill's clients and inform them of his fraud feel free. I have Bill's "Reserve Coast Guard Radarman" records.

I also have in my possession a FREEDOM of INFORMATION ACT (FOIA) from the UNITED STATES ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND (USASOC) STATING USASOC HAS NO, NONE, ZERO RECORD OF WILLIAM G HILLAR.

Bottom feeding scumbag.

Team Sergeant

Yup, I called Bill Hillar a "Fraud" on 28 Oct 2010. Joe Gould you should have called, I would have talked to you. Others were questioning, we on Professionalsoldiers.com were certain Bill was indeed a fraud and liar. Get your facts right Joe Gould.

Reputed counter-terrorism expert pleads guilty

By Joe Gould - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday Apr 9, 2011 6:29:08 EDT

FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely said in a statement that Hillar’s deception was revealed by members of the Special Forces community. In late October, questions were raised about Hillar’s credentials in a forum thread at professionalsoldiers.org, a website dedicated to the Special Forces community.

swatsurgeon
04-11-2011, 17:13
/rimshot

Richard will be at Caesar's all week, folks!

Really??? I'm at Ceasar's right now speaking at a trauma/critical care conference until Wednesday

nousdefions
04-11-2011, 17:46

A Real Operator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o)

Enjoy!

SouthernDZ
04-21-2011, 08:13
I’ve been reading over the various “Hall of Shame Inductees” threads and I’ve been able to discern a familiar pattern once these posers are approached.

When asked “Who did you say you served with?” or “Which A Det?…wow... do you remember Gonzo? – he was on that team…”

First they go into “waffle-mode” where they often claim to have been in another company than you were, possibly Company Z …. ODA Z-13. I especially enjoy the “I was awarded the Green Beret due to my recognized expertise with foreign troops during Hurricane Andrew” response. Naturally there’s always the “I was actually in support of (insert ODA, ODB, MEDRETE………..)” fallback position as their house of cards begins to crumble.

Alternately they claim to have been code named “Agent Orange” with any and all of their records sealed underground at Weather Mountain. It’s really entertaining when they go on the offensive with, “You apparently were in “white SOF” and weren’t aware of the “black-ops/wet-works/dark-side” – where you can almost hear the Darth Vader-like breathing. :munchin

But my all time favorite pattern of activity is the preemptive strike, “Wait until you hear from my attorneys Abel-Baker-Charlie and associates.” It appears that, when their claims were in conjunction with their employment with “Savoy-Three-Niner Security Specialists”, they whip out their version of the “OJ dream team” of lawyers that will be contacting you shortly.

I wanted to thank all of you, but not for just for the entertainment.

As TS has said on a number of occasions, it’s not about the relatively harmless pick-up line in the bar. Some of these posers have made claims that have really hurt people and have defrauded many.

What you’re doing is important and I thank all of you for it. Please continue to move out and draw fire.;)

Mike

tom kelly
04-21-2011, 14:40
A lot of people might say "who cares that he is a bull shitter & a liar" Well for one I care and so do many other SF soldiers and their families who endure the long endless deployments and hardships that come with being related to an SF soldier that is deployed to some hell hole that may cost him his life. When an SF team gets deployed; It's no dress rehersal and it's not to club med. tom kelly
PS; Thank's to TS for EXPOSING the fraud's, they just keep on coming day after day because they think no body will uncover their lies.

xsf18cdf
04-26-2011, 07:01
:)

Team Sergeant
06-17-2011, 16:07
Guess who has been asked by the FBI to testify at Bill Hillar's sentencing hearing...... :munchin

Also the FBI was wondering if more than one of us SF types might show up at Hillar's hearing?

(I'm going to need a place to RON..... 19th July, hearing on the 20th.)

TS

wet dog
06-17-2011, 16:14
Guess who has been asked by the FBI to testify at Bill Hillar's sentencing hearing...... :munchin

Also the FBI was wondering if more than one of us SF types might show up at Hillar's hearing?

TS

Is the hearing in the DC area?

Bet a buffalo nickel he doesn't make contact with you. All QPs in the area need to assemble on the objective.

Tress
06-17-2011, 18:18
Date and location????? :munchin

Dusty
06-17-2011, 18:21

TS

Can't you stay with Barack and them? :D

Team Sergeant
06-18-2011, 08:21
Date and location????? :munchin

DTG to be posted as soon as I get them. It will be on the 20th July most likely at the Baltimore federal courthouse.

If you're Special Forces your presence is requested there.;)

Tress
06-18-2011, 08:29
A Wednesday.... Roadtrip!!!!!!!!!

Team Sergeant
06-18-2011, 08:43
We'll need a link-up plan....(Someone should alert the Baltimore Police not to arrest us just because we look mean....:munchin)

JJ_BPK
06-18-2011, 08:46
DTG to be posted as soon as I get them. It will be on the 20th July most likely at the Baltimore federal courthouse.

If you're Special Forces your presence is requested there.;)

May be there, We are going up around that time,, to sit the g-kids while the kids work..

:munchin

Richard
06-18-2011, 08:48
Someone should alert the Baltimore Police not to arrest us just because we look mean....:munchin

And you might think about hiding those window and bumper stickers which seem to make the LEOs so nervous on that side of the USA. ;)

JJ_BPK
06-18-2011, 08:56
And you might think about hiding those window and bumper stickers which seem to make the LEOs so nervous on that side of the USA. ;)

Got ya covered...

Tress
06-18-2011, 11:00
...And would'nt you know it, Maryland does not honor any other state's CW licenses. :(

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

Team Sergeant
06-22-2011, 16:24
All, This sentencing hearing is now on hold. William Hillar has asked for a 60 day delay. This could be pushed into Sept.

Team Sergeant
06-28-2011, 12:58
Sentencing is now to be held on Aug 30th at 0930. If you're SF be there. That is all.

mffjm
07-02-2011, 16:23
Still the Baltimore Federal Courthouse? What's the uniform?
Dave

Team Sergeant
07-02-2011, 20:00
Still the Baltimore Federal Courthouse? What's the uniform?
Dave

Roger.

I'll be in a suit and tie.

wet dog
07-02-2011, 21:02
Is it ok if some of us wear something else?

JJ_BPK
07-03-2011, 03:44
Is it ok if some of us wear something else?

The Red-Head looks to be kitted up with a couple of Hersey Originals, stuck in his Sporran??

Is he making a serialized commemorative edition ???

glebo
07-03-2011, 03:48
JJ....that is just....well...WAAAY to COOOL..

Love it:D:D

greenberetTFS
07-03-2011, 05:21
JJ....that is just....well...WAAAY to COOOL..

Love it:D

Absolutely,could not have expressed it better..........:D That should be TS's new avatar.......;)

PRB
07-03-2011, 14:02
Wouldn't want to wear that sporan on a hot Arizona day ;)

wet dog
07-03-2011, 19:57
The Red-Head looks to be kitted up with a couple of Harsey Originals, stuck in his Sporran??

It's those 6"-8" short blades that you must aware of. Many a man has died from smaller than sword length weapons or axes.

I've always liked long spears, kill at man at 6' to 10', Greeks pefected the formation (50 x 50 man strong), tough organization to get through.

PRB
07-03-2011, 20:53
It's those 6"-8" short blades that you must aware of. Many a man has died from smaller than sword length weapons or axes.

I've always liked long spears, kill at man at 6' to 10', Greeks pefected the formation (50 x 50 man strong), tough organization to to get through.

Then you'd have loved the Macedonian Sarrisa of Alexanders army as it was 13 to 21 feet long...4 to 5 ranks of the formation could engage en mass.

wet dog
07-03-2011, 21:14
Then you'd have loved the Macedonian Sarrisa of Alexanders army as it was 13 to 21 feet long...4 to 5 ranks of the formation could engage en mass.

Exactly!!!!

Try breaking though those ranks without spilling a little blood.

Must have been an awesome sight.:lifter

I assume it was about that time, formations began practicing a "wheel" formation to find the vulnerable point in the side.

I was thinking of that after re-reading the battle formation of 'little round top', Civil War.

Richard
07-12-2011, 21:49
From the current MOAA (Military Officers Association of America) web-site as mentioned in the current issue of their monthly magazine.

The link they mention in the final paragraph is to this forum.

Stolen Valor, Fabricated Career

Stolen Valor

The arrest of William G. Hillar in January has brought the issue of impersonating an officer into the national spotlight. The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, signed into law by President Bush, made it a federal misdemeanor to claim to have received meritorious awards from the U.S. military. The law was struck down as an unconstitutional breech of First Amendment rights in 2010 and an appeal was refused by the U.S. Court of Appeals (9th Circuit). The FBI chose not to prosecute Hillar based on the SVA and instead charged him with mail fraud due to his use of falsified career achievements to obtain work as a professor and paid speaker. His story is baffling, and even more troublesome is how long he was able to keep up his ruse.

False History

William Hillar claimed that he had led the life of an American hero, according to the FBI affidavit that was unsealed upon his arrest. Hillar claimed to have been a retired colonel from the Green Berets, with tours of duty in Asia, Central and South America and the Middle East. He also claimed that the move ‘Taken’, starring Liam Neeson, about a father who pursues his daughter’s kidnappers, was based on his life and the alleged kidnapping and murder of his daughter in 1988. According to his biography on his website, which has now been taken down:

“William G. Hillar is a retired Colonel of the U.S. Army Special Forces. He has served in Asia, the Middle East, and Central and South America, where his diverse training and experiences included tactical counter-terrorism, explosive ordnance, emergency medicine and psychological warfare.” [and that he] “holds a B.A. in Psychology, and M.A. in Education, a Ph.D. in Health Education, and an honorary Doctorate in Intercultural Relations.”

Hillar used these false credentials to further his career in lecturing on counter terrorism, often times to law enforcement agencies. He also landed a job at California’s Monterrey Institute of International Studies in 2005, teaching ‘Tactical Counter Terrorism’ among other subjects.

In November of 2010, North Carolina’s Elon University gave Hillar their annual award for “Hometown Hero” due to his supposed efforts to fight sex trafficking. Suspicions about his background began to rise alongside his increasing prominence. Members of the discussion forum professsionalsoldiers.org, a site dedicated to and home to members of the Special Forces community, took on the credibility of Hillar’s background in a thorough thread that led to an FBI investigation.

Reality

In the real world, William Hillar was anything but a hero. Not only did he lie about where he served and under what capacity, he was actually never even in the Army, much less an officer. He did serve for eight years in the Coast Guard, leaving with a rank of Radarman, Petty Officer Third Class, but had no discernible counter intelligence training or experience. According to the Army Times:

“William G. Hillar lived a lie and based his teaching career on military experience he did not have and credentials that he did not earn,” U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said in a statement. “He was never a colonel, never served in the U.S. Army or the Special Forces, never was deployed to exotic locales and never received training in counter-terrorism and psychological warfare while in the armed forces.”

Hillar entered a guilty plea on March 29th and has agreed to pay some $171,000 to the universities and clients that he fleeced over the past decade. He will also be required to serve 500 hours of community service at Veterans Cemeteries in Maryland, his state of residence.

Hillar’s actions and his punishment should help put the Stolen Valor Act’s reversal back in the headlines. The message that seems to be coming out from the federal courts is that it is OK to lie about being a war hero or receiving the Medal of Honor, but not if you make money off of the lie.

To see what real Special Forces members feel about Hillar, visit this thread on the Professional Soldiers forum that really gave birth to the investigation and subsequent events. A great read, and it makes you proud to have these men and women in our services.

http://www.moaablogs.org/battleofthebilge/2011/04/williamhillar/

Team Sergeant
07-13-2011, 10:41
Members of the discussion forum professsionalsoldiers.org, a site dedicated to and home to members of the Special Forces community, took on the credibility of Hillar’s background in a thorough thread that led to an FBI investigation. http://www.moaablogs.org/battleofthebilge/2011/04/williamhillar/

It was not this "thread" that led to an FBI investigation of William Hillar. It was the email I sent them and the subsequent chats we had concerning "COL" Bill Hillar. ;)

If people would take a moment and re-read the very first post on this thread they will notice one very glaring fact, Professionalsoldiers.com was finished with it's investigation of William Hillar on Oct 28, 2010.

Our first post concerning Hillar, Professionalsoldiers.com called him a fraud and a liar, everyone else began their investigation after 28 Oct 2010, including the MIIS "students" and the FBI. ;)

The rest is history........

1stindoor
07-14-2011, 16:14
It was not this "thread" that led to an FBI investigation of William Hillar. It was the email I sent them and the subsequent chats we had concerning "COL" Bill Hillar. ;)

Facts keep muddying up a good story.

RB
07-15-2011, 09:29
Hillar entered a guilty plea on March 29th and has agreed to pay some $171,000 to the universities and clients that he fleeced over the past decade. He will also be required to serve 500 hours of community service at Veterans Cemeteries in Maryland, his state of residence.

http://www.moaablogs.org/battleofthebilge/2011/04/williamhillar/

Picking up garbage on the side of the road would serve our community better.

This guy should never set foot within 1000' of any true military veterans cemeteries. :mad:

Congrats again TS!

NEXT. :munchin

Dusty
07-15-2011, 09:49
This guy should never set foot within 1000' of any true military veterans cemeteries. :mad:

Absolutely.

Team Sergeant
08-10-2011, 10:20
Replacing "COL" Bill Hillar (fraud) at the Monterey Institute of International Studies is........

Brigadier General (ret.) Russ Howard ! (Real Green Beret wearing Freedom Fighter and Real Brigadier General (ret));)
He's the real deal folks, go and take his Counterterrorism Class!
Team Sergeant

The instructor for WKSH 8542 - Counter Terrorism, which will be offered August 22-September 23 will be Brigadier General (ret.) Russ Howard. Prior to his retirement from the military, General Howard’s postings included serving as Company Commander, 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group in Okinawa, Japan, and commanding the 3rd Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group from 1990 until 1992. General Howard holds two bachelor’s degrees, an MA in International Management from MIIS, and a Master of Public Administration degree from Harvard University. General Howard’s academic positions include serving as the director of the Jebsen Center for Counterterrorism Studies at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, and being the founding director of the Combating Terrorism Center at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

alelks
08-10-2011, 12:26
EXCELLENT!

greenberetTFS
08-13-2011, 14:56
Picking up garbage on the side of the road would serve our community better.

Congrats again TS.

NEXT. :munchin

Instead of working in veterans cemeteries he should be emptying bedpans in a VA hospital..........:mad:

Congrats TS........:D

Big Teddy

Tress
08-30-2011, 09:25
I guess that the sentencing hearing is over already.

A Millersville teacher was sentenced in federal court Tuesday to 21 months in prison for faking military credentials and pretending to be a retired colonel from the Army Special Forces to line up lucrative speaking engagements.

Prosecutors with the Maryland U.S. Attorney's Office said William G. Hillar claimed that he traveled the world fighting terrorism and advised foreign military organizations. He also told a story about how his only daughter was kidnapped, forced into the sex trade and killed, which he said became the basis for the 2008 film "Taken" starring Liam Neeson.

All of it, including claims to college degrees, was a lie, according to prosecutors.

"For more than a decade, members of the Special Forces have died in record numbers in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq," federal prosecutors said in their sentencing memorandum. "In that same time, William G. Hillar profited from the lie that he had served honorably."

Other than a stint in the U.S. Coast Guard as an enlisted sailor, never rising above rank of radar man, petty officer third class, prosecutors said Hillar never served in the military, never achieved the rank of colonel and he "fabricated a gruesome tale" about his daughter.

"The defendant's criminal conduct in this case victimized the military, law enforcement and first responder organizations as they struggled to respond to the new and changing threats terrorism poses," prosecutors said in the memorandum.

peter.hermann@baltsun.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-hillar-sentenced-20110830,0,253010.story

He got off extremely light.

Tress

Bill Harsey
08-30-2011, 09:45
Team Sergeant just called and he has completed his testimony on behalf of the US Attorneys office in the case of Bill Hillar.

Reason of call was to announce and confirm that Bill Hillar has been sentenced to 21 months in prison.