PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Police Officer Gunned Down Near State Capitol

Team Sergeant
10-24-2010, 16:55
The Phoenix PD is not talking about this shooting, they will NOT even explaining the details to their own officers.......

I have a good source that said this may be a professional mexican cartel hit......

I guess the Phoenix PD leadership doesn't want to frighten the good people of Phoenix.

Team Sergeant

Phoenix Police Officer Gunned Down Near State Capitol
Body found near car, south of State Capitol
Published : Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010, 5:34 AM MDT

PHOENIX - A Phoenix Police officer has been fatally shot near the city's downtown, and police are working to find out who pulled the trigger.

Sgt. Trent Crump says a police sergeant was shot while on duty Monday night near the State Capitol, at 18th Avenue and Jackson.

Crump says the sergeant, Sean Drenth, was working alone at the time of the shooting. Officers became alarmed when they hadn't any radio communication with Drenth since about 10 p.m.

"Just before 11:00 some employees for the Capitol Police found an abandoned Phoenix Police car. When they approached they saw that we had an officer down and it was a Phoenix sergeant that's down," said Crump.

Phoenix Police units quickly formed a wide perimeter around the area and began searching for witnesses and possible suspects who may have been involved in the shooting.

"I don't have any suspect info that's been provided by cameras or witnesses. You have to realize the whereabouts were unknown for some time, and when a witness found the officer he was already deceased."

Phoenix Fire crews were also called to the scene. They were cutting through a recycling plant's fence, just south of where the officer was found dead. This is about 30 feet from the officer's squad car.

Drenth was 35 years old and a 12-year veteran of the Phoenix police department. He leaves behind a wife and his mother.

Drenth worked in the South Mountain and Squaw Peak Precincts and was awarded the Phoenix Police Department Medal of Valor in 2003 when he rescued trapped residents in a burning two-story apartment building.

Police hope to release more information when ballistics and forensics reports come back and after they've had a chance to review possible surveillance video from nearby businesses.

"I ask that the community bear with us during this very difficult time for the Phoenix Police Department, and be patient, until we can get further into the investigation and come back to you through the media and be able to give more information to the community," said Chief Jack Harris.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/phoenix/phx-pd-killed-on-duty-apx-10192010

Roguish Lawyer
10-24-2010, 17:03
RIP

JJ_BPK
10-24-2010, 17:03
RIP Sgt Drenth, Vaya con Dios..

longrange1947
10-24-2010, 17:35
Rest in Peace Sgt.

May the a'holes that did this burn in hell.

Five-O
10-24-2010, 18:24
The Phoenix PD is not talking about this shooting, they will NOT even explaining the details to their own officers.......

I have a good source that said this may be a professional mexican cartel hit......

I guess the Phoenix PD leadership doesn't want to frighten the good people of Phoenix.

Team Sergeant

RIP Sgt.

In my experience if you don't see and hear 1,000 sirens and a dozen helos over head, press coverage of the shooting and the PD leadership all over the papers and TV giving information about the shooting in order to arrest the suspect......some where........something stinks.

rdret1
10-24-2010, 18:27
Rest in Peace Sgt. Your tour is done.

PRB
10-24-2010, 20:36
Team Sgt, I have a brother that's a Det in Scottsdale and a few cop buds on the Phx force. I'll see what I can find out.

nmap
10-24-2010, 20:50
RIP, Sgt.

mark46th
10-24-2010, 20:54
Thoughts and prayers....

dr. mabuse
10-24-2010, 20:56
RIP.

If it was a cartel hit, when are we going to "take off the gloves"?

Regardless, no mercy at all for the killer(s). :mad:

Iraqgunz
10-25-2010, 05:15
We were discussing this today in the rifle course I was in. A couple of people speculated that they may know more than they're letting on and want to keep it under wraps for politcal reasons. Regardless it is a very strange set of circumstances. RIP, Sgt.

Team Sergeant
10-25-2010, 10:38
We were discussing this today in the rifle course I was in. A couple of people speculated that they may know more than they're and want to keep it under wraps for politcal reasons. Regardless it is a very strange set of circumstances. RIP, Sgt.

left-wing mayor phil gordon lied about what he said to a reporter concerning the murder, too bad for phil the reporter had video proving mayor phil gordon was in FACT a liar.

Political is an understatement, the illegals want the right to vote, and the right to stay here in America. If in fact this is an illegal mexican cartel murder it will go national news in 3 seconds....... only in Phoenix does a police officer get murdered on duty and the Phoenix leadership go mute.

Add to this the national elections are just days away, maybe the left-wing should keep this under wraps until after the national elections........

The drug war is here, I think it's high time we send a message to the mexican drug cartels.

Funeral Services for Sgt. Sean Drenth are today.

Team Sergeant

Officer's Crime Scene: Was Mayor Gordon Backtracking?
Published : Friday, 22 Oct 2010, 10:16 PM MDT

PHOENIX - During our live newscast Thursday night, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon denied describing the scene of Sgt. Sean Drenth's murder. But we found video that proves otherwise.

The Phoenix Police Department has released very little information in the death of Sgt. Sean Drenth, who was found dead of a gunshot wound late Monday night.

They are being tight-lipped, and with very few leads, they say they won't want anything jeopardizing the investigation.

That's why we were surprised to hear Mayor Phil Gordon, in media reports earlier this week, describe evidence from the crime scene.

But on our live newscast Thursday night, Mayor Gordon denied ever revealing anything about the investigation.

Kari Lake asked, "There were some reports that you saw a sign of a horrendous struggle when you were down at the scene of the investigation. Describe what you saw."

"There again is an example of another unattributed sources saying what has happened, I haven't commented on anything I've seen, other than the faces of the police officers," replied Gordon.

Kari Lake responded, "I heard you say that 'signs of horrendous struggle' unless it was someone impersonating you."

"No I don't think so," was his reply.

But during an interview on KPNX from Wednesday night, the mayor said, quote, "This officer was in a, probably a horrendous struggle, I saw details of that myself that evening on the scene."

So why is the mayor denying his own words?

We asked the Phoenix Police Department about the mayor's comments.

"I don't know what the interviews with the mayor were. We are very fortunate that the mayor and city managers were supportive to be out here in the middle of the night with us. The mayor was out here lending support on that evening talking to our officer and it was very nice," said Sgt. Trent Crump.

"I'm not asking or telling the mayor to do anything nor have I had contact with him but I think it is quite certain that we hold off on any rumors and any feelings that we avoid spreading speculation about what did occur or did not occur because it is absolutely disrespectful to Sean in this case."

We also asked Sgt. Crump for any updates to the investigation.

"We are not going to talk about seeing evidence, it is important for us in this case that we maintain silence with some of the evidence that may be helpful later… Absolutely its a violent scene but anything on top of that but anything further that talks about seeing evidence that substantiates that or why they believe that I cannot get into."

To see the full interview with Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, press play:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/mayor-gordon-backtracking-10-22-2010

PedOncoDoc
10-25-2010, 10:51
Terrible news. :( RIP.

Do you think the story is being suppressed until after the election? :munchin

Green Light
10-25-2010, 12:41
TS - you're 100% right, the war IS here. No politician is going to take off the gloves and admit that they're tacitly supporting them to buy votes. This insurgency has been building for too long.

greenberetTFS
10-25-2010, 12:47
God Bless,Rest in Peace Sgt...............:(

Big Teddy :munchin

Gypsy
10-25-2010, 17:32
Disgusting. Maybe all of the police departments should come down with Blue Flu until the truth comes out.

RIP. :(

PRB
10-26-2010, 20:21
Talked to a few Phx cops today and there does not seem to be any Cartel issue.
Really, long story short, is looking like a suicide...two shots under the chin from a semiauto.
All his gear was in his cruiser etc (gunbelt etc.) except his shotgun and that was with him at the time.
BTW, both cops told me many suicides have multiple gunshot wounds when using semi auto's...that finger locks up.
I suspect it's being kept quiet for a few reasons.

Iraqgunz
10-26-2010, 23:36
Interesting. I would have thought that they would have just come out and said that instead of putting on a big show and offering a reward. From what I heard his duty weapon was missing from the scene, his BUG was laying a few feet away and his shotgun was laying next to his body.

Obviously there is alot of different stuff floating around out there.

Really, long story short, is looking like a suicide...two shots under the chin from a semiauto.
All his gear was in his cruiser etc (gunbelt etc.) except his shotgun and that was with him at the time.
BTW, both cops told me many suicides have multiple gunshot wounds when using semi auto's...that finger locks up.

PRB
10-26-2010, 23:52
None of the cops I talked to were at the scene so this is second hand too.
The shotgun was next to him or on him (literally) and his kit was in his cruiser. Not sure which pistol did the dead, service or bug.
They both told me tho that it was looking like he went sideways.
Still, not a done deal yet.

dfirsty
10-30-2010, 12:27

While the department is not releasing much info, this has been deemed a homicide and not a suicide. There are a lot of rumors flying (because no info is being released) and I'm pretty sure some of the info that has been recieved was inaccurate due to the rumor mill.

Derek

PRB
10-30-2010, 15:23
Good to hear actually considering and yeah, tons of rumors and supposition,
I'll see if I can get any info.

Goggles Pizano
11-01-2010, 10:40
Allow the investigation run it's course. They (the Dept.) can't keep a lid on a cop's homicide if a cartel is behind it. Too many leaks in that dam.

In pace requiescat Brother. Dominus vobiscum.

Team Sergeant
11-01-2010, 20:10
Allow the investigation run it's course. They (the Dept.) can't keep a lid on a cop's homicide if a cartel is behind it. Too many leaks in that dam.

In pace requiescat Brother. Dominus vobiscum.

They only need to keep the lid on for 24 more hours as not to upset the nationwide voting. Best if the indepentants don't hear about this until after the current elections.

Always look at the bigger picture.

SMP9168
11-04-2010, 22:34
I have not checked in here for a while and this is my first opportunity to post here.

First off, with all due respect PRB, your information is extremely inaccurate. I would ask that people not speculate as to what ocurred. Sean was a great man and a great cop. I don't know very many people that loved being a cop more than he did. He was extremely dedicated to the job and to being the best he could be.

Cops - we are our own worst enemies. We talk waaayy too much, which leads to inaccurate rumors, and the leaking of information that only does us more harm than good.

Rest in Peace Sean, we miss you brother.

PRB
11-05-2010, 12:06
I have not checked in here for a while and this is my first opportunity to post here.

First off, with all due respect PRB, your information is extremely inaccurate. I would ask that people not speculate as to what ocurred. Sean was a great man and a great cop. I don't know very many people that loved being a cop more than he did. He was extremely dedicated to the job and to being the best he could be.

Cops - we are our own worst enemies. We talk waaayy too much, which leads to inaccurate rumors, and the leaking of information that only does us more harm than good.

Rest in Peace Sean, we miss you brother.

no offense intended, just passed info I gleaned from two seasoned Phx cops

ZonieDiver
11-05-2010, 12:15
The 'hint' of suicide was featured in a story in "The Arizona Repugnant" today.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/11/05/20101105phoenix-officer-sean-drenth-shooting-mystery.html

Team Sergeant
11-05-2010, 12:46
This is going to take a turn for the worse. No more speculating.

TS