PDA

View Full Version : ALL...please contribute to family of SFC Masson, WIA

18DocDave
10-23-2010, 19:05
Hello everyone

We are collecting contributions to help with the expenses of the family of SFC John Masson, B/3/20 18D.

He was wounded by an IED, triple amputee, and has kids aged 6,8,15.

If you can, please send a check to:

"B320SFG Special Account"

Address:

B320SFGA Special Account
813 East 14th Street
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870

Thanks

De Oppresso Liber

Kit Carson
10-23-2010, 20:14
Wilco. It will go out Monday morning.

Team Sergeant
10-24-2010, 16:45
This has been confirmed.

I'll get a check in the mail ASAP.

Team Sergeant

Penn
10-24-2010, 18:18
Done

Tatonka316
10-24-2010, 19:03
Check on the next thing smokin. Please give the family my POC if they have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for them - anything - anyplace - anytime!

dadof18x'er
10-24-2010, 19:26
passed on to my e-mail list.

God Bless John! and thanks for your service

Gypsy
10-25-2010, 17:27
Pardon my ignorance...should the check be written out to B320SFG Special Account?

RockSolid
10-25-2010, 18:52
Site looks to be legit if someone wants to verify.

http://johnmasson.com/

prayers and donation sent...

stickey
10-26-2010, 02:32
This is very legit.

echoes
10-26-2010, 05:29
Hello everyone

We are collecting contributions to help with the expenses of the family of SFC John Masson, B/3/20 18D.

He was wounded by an IED, triple amputee, and has kids aged 6,8,15.

If you can, please send a check to:

"B320SFG Special Account"

Address:

B320SFGA Special Account
813 East 14th Street
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870

Thanks

De Oppresso Liber

Contribution is on its way, and Thank You SFC Masson, for your bravery, courage, and sacrifice! You and your family are in our prayers Sir.

Holly

airbornediver
11-11-2010, 11:50
first check sent, more to follow.

I've also been sending prayers your way John at every Mass.

dadof18x'er
11-11-2010, 15:50
anybody attending?

http://johnmasson.com/Benefit_Information.html

airbornediver
11-13-2010, 16:16
if it were in NC or DC, I'd go. Can't make it to Indiana.

greenberetTFS
11-13-2010, 16:38
Check sent,only wish it could been more...............:)

Big Teddy

CoLawman
11-13-2010, 17:13
Money sent and have posted this to my FB account to beat the bush for additional contributions from grateful Americans!

Gypsy
11-13-2010, 17:29
anybody attending?

http://johnmasson.com/Benefit_Information.html

It's really not that far outside of Chicago, might be a possibility for me.

CoLawman
11-13-2010, 18:10
I fired off a request of the Chicago Cubs organization for assistance. SFC Masson obviously is a cubbie fan since his page shows him wearing the cammy Cub hat. Hopefully they will step up. I will let you know if I get a response.

CoLawman
11-15-2010, 20:07
I received the following reply from the Chicago Cubs (Class organization, I think I am a Cubbie fan now). I would like to put the representative of the Cubs in contact with someone directly involved in the benefit organization. Thanks.

Hi, Keith!

Thank you so much for contacting the Chicago Cubs. We are so sorry to hear about SFC John Masson’s injuries. We are so honored that a true hero would proudly wear a Cubs hat while in combat and are so grateful for his service to our country and his loyalty to the team! We would love to send him a fan pack to help lift his spirits! If you are looking for a donation for a fundraising event, please review the following information: Organizations interested in obtaining an in-kind donation are asked to submit a letter on the organization's letterhead with the following information:

· A brief description of the organization.

· The beneficiary of the event.

· The date of the event.

· Contact and shipping information (No P.O. boxes, please).

· Type of event (i.e. auction or raffle).

Requests should be submitted 6-8 weeks prior to the event. Please send your requests to:

Community Affairs
Chicago Cubs
1060 W. Addison Street
Chicago, IL 60613

I hope this information helps! I look forward to hearing back from you with John’s contact information so that we can get something in the mail as soon as possible for him!

Sincerely,

Clare

Nightfall
11-15-2010, 22:13
Also forwarded this off to a local 20th Group friend.

chance
11-26-2010, 22:37
Soldier who lost 3 limbs still protective of his unit
Considers first that his comments might endanger GIs in Afghanistan

November 25, 2010

BY JERRY DAVICH Post-Tribune
John Masson felt the blast as soon as he stepped onto the hidden improvised explosive device.

While serving at a classified location in Afghanistan as a U.S. Army Ranger medic, the 39-year-old Lake Station, Ind., native had just finished clearing a compound with his Special Forces unit Oct. 16.

One wrong step is all it took. Click. Boom. Darkness. Shock. Blood. Hell.

Masson, who previously served in the Gulf War and Iraq, felt himself launched into the air.

He landed hard, still in darkness. He felt around the ground with his right hand, not the one he would normally use. All he felt was blood and body parts. His left hand was gone. So were both of his legs -- one up to his hip, the other up to his knee.

"There are some things I can't tell you because my unit is still in theater in Afghanistan," Masson said last week from his hospital bed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. "I wouldn't want to put any of the guys in danger."

This phone exchange illustrates the character and attitude of Masson, a father of three who was always the life of any party, the friend who was always there, the soldier who always had your back.

Missing three limbs, amid other serious injuries and health complications, and he's concerned about his fellow soldiers a world away.

Masson has been in the military for 15 years.

He and his wife of 18 years, Dusty, both graduated from Edison High School in Lake Station. The couple have three children.

"John loves everyone, and everyone loves him," said Kerry Paris, John's sister-in-law from Lake Station. "He is fun, outgoing, and he loves life."

But these days, Masson is in "unbearable pain," his family said, including the phantom pain many amputees deal with after the trauma of losing a limb -- not to mention three limbs.

"He won't let this hold him back or slow him down in any way," Paris said. "He is a man of great faith, and he truly knows he will walk again. We have no doubt."

Masson spoke in a telephone interview in between multiple surgeries to close his wounds, less than a month after he stepped onto that IED.

He spoke about Oct. 16. He spoke about his country, which he loves greatly. He spoke about his family, which he loves more.

Masson's parents were flown to Washington, D.C., to be near him.

His wife and children are now living with John's brother, Mike, who lives about 40 minutes away in Maryland, when they are not staying with Masson.

"Mike had actually just got home from Afghanistan on Oct. 16, the same day John stepped on the IED," Paris said.

Masson's wife and high school sweetheart, Dusty, said her husband's faith, prayers and belief in himself will carry him through this ordeal.

"John is John," said Dusty Masson, who stays with her husband almost around the clock. "If he's good, I'm good."

When Masson arrived at Walter Reed, he was leery of having his children see him without his limbs.

"We're just glad you're alive," said his 15-year-old son, Jonathan.

"It doesn't matter if you lost your legs. You're still our daddy," his daughter, Morgan, 8, told him.

"We love you," 6-year-old Ethan said.

Masson's friends and family have created a website in his honor -- www.johnmas son.com -- to help people rally around his rehab efforts and to donate to a fund for mounting bills.

"I'm amazed, appreciative and so grateful," Masson said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2921758,CST-NWS-soldier1125.article