PDA

View Full Version : Twenty-Year-Old Woman Named Police Chief in Dangerous Mexican Border Town

Team Sergeant
10-20-2010, 20:51
OK kids, what does this article tell us?

1. No Mexican "men" are left in the city she is now mayor....

2. All the men in that town are cowards.

3. The government of mexico no longer exists.

4. Everyone in the mexican government is also a coward.

5. mexico is on the verge of falling into total chaos.

I salute the young lady and if she asks for 50 former US Army Special Forces soldiers to assist her as personal bodyguards, I'd go. (50 SF against 500-1000 mexican cartel members, piece of cake:D.)

Good luck little lady.

Team Sergeant

Twenty-Year-Old Woman Named Police Chief in Dangerous Mexican Border Town

Published October 20, 2010
| Associated Press

PRAXEDIS G. GUERRERO, Mexico -- There's a new police chief in this violent borderland where drug gangs have killed public officials and terrified many citizens into fleeing: a 20-year-old woman who hasn't yet finished her criminology degree.

Marisol Valles Garcia was sworn in Wednesday to bring law and order to a township of about 8,500 that has been transformed from a string of quiet farming communities into a lawless no man's land. Two rival gangs -- the Juarez and Sinaloa drug cartels -- have been battling for control of its single highway, a lucrative drug trafficking route along the Texas border.

The tiny but energetic Valles Garcia, whose only police experience was a stint as a police department secretary, says she wants her 12 officers to practice a special brand of community policing. In fact her plan is to hire more women -- she currently has three -- and assign each to a neighborhood to talk with families, promote civic values and detect potential crimes before they happen.

"My people are out there going door to door, looking for criminals, and (in homes) where there are none, trying to teach values to the families," she said in her first official appearance on Wednesday. "The project is ... simple, based on values, principles and crime prevention in contacts house -by-house."

She has been assigned two bodyguards but won't carry a gun. She says she leave most of the decisions about weapons and tactics to the town's mayor, Jose Luis Guerrero.
Whether her decision is courageous or foolhardy, the appointment shows how desperate the situation has become in the Juarez Valley, a lucrative trafficking corridor along the Texas border.

Local residents say the drug gangs take over at night, riding through the towns in convoys of SUVs and pickups, assault rifles and even .50 caliber sniper rifles at the ready. The assistant mayor of nearby El Porvenir and the mayor of Distrito Bravos were killed recently even after they took refuge in nearby Ciudad Juarez.

While the bullet holes that pockmarked police headquarters in Praxedis have been painted over, police buildings in other towns in the valley remain empty, with broken windows and few sign of life.

"Let's hope it is not a reckless act on her part," said Miguel Sarre, a professor who specializes in Mexican law enforcement at the Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico. He said that "a municipal police force cannot protect itself against such powerful forces."

Local residents like farmer Arturo Gomez are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

continued:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/10/20/year-old-woman-named-police-chief-dangerous-mexican-border-town/

mojaveman
10-20-2010, 21:00
I admire her ambition but God be with her. Anyone want to make bets on how long she'll live?

sinjefe
10-20-2010, 21:12
I have worked EXTENSIVELY in Colombia from 1990 until recently. Even did a four year stint there. I now work with the Mexican Army and I have to say they are worse off now than Colombia ever was at its worst (my opinion). I love my job (what SF guy doesn't like working with foreign nationals) but, at the end of the day, they are almost hopelessly corrupt and truly clueless. Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse.

dr. mabuse
10-20-2010, 21:22
Truly, Vaya con Dios. :(

kgoerz
10-21-2010, 08:00
I have worked EXTENSIVELY in Colombia from 1990 until recently. Even did a four year stint there. I now work with the Mexican Army and I have to say they are worse off now than Colombia ever was at its worst (my opinion). I love my job (what SF guy doesn't like working with foreign nationals) but, at the end of the day, they are almost hopelessly corrupt and truly clueless. Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse.

Corruption being the key word there. Until they clean their own House. Take pride in their own Country. No amount of Aid from the U.S is going to change a thing. One of the things I learned working in Colombia and other South/Central American Countries. They loved their Country and wanted it to be a better place to live. I don't see any of that in Mexico or AStan.

Richard
10-21-2010, 08:26
Ahhhh...time for a remake of "The Magnificent Seven"...;)

Richard :munchin

dadof18x'er
10-21-2010, 08:37

but please don't remake the soundtrack :lifter:D

aegisnavy
10-21-2010, 08:56
TS, on 1 thru 4 I cannot comment, but based on recent discussions with friends from south of the border, number 5 gets my vote. :(

Team Sergeant
10-21-2010, 13:28
Unlike the State Department and the government of the United States my SF brothers tell the truth and they tell it like it is, no holds barred.

In the 90's under "SLICK Willie" bill clinton, we (Special forces) attempted to "assist" the mexican government. All the "training" the Special Forces gave them (under protest) was eventually used "against" the United States.

With mexico, corrupt is an understatement.

ZonieDiver
10-21-2010, 14:11

Okay... but I get to be Yul Brynner! :D (And... you can remake the soundtrack!)

ZonieDiver
10-21-2010, 14:20
OK kids, what does this article tell us?

1. No Mexican "men" are left in the city she is now mayor....

2. All the men in that town are cowards.

3. The government of mexico no longer exists.

4. Everyone in the mexican government is also a coward.

5. mexico is on the verge of falling into total chaos.

I salute the young lady and if she asks for 50 former US Army Special Forces soldiers to assist her as personal bodyguards, I'd go. (50 SF against 500-1000 mexican cartel members, piece of cake:D.)

Good luck little lady.

Team Sergeant

On a serious note, TS is pretty spot on, in my estimation. While my high school is not Mexico, it is close in many respects. 80% of the students are Hispanic... Mexican-American, or Mexican (estimates of as high as 60% "undocumented"). I frequently speak of Mexico and its problems, especially if the discussions get to things such as Aztlan. I tell them that the original revolution was in 1821, and the second in 1916. It seems as if there is one every 100 years... and it is time for another. I tell them if they were true Mexican patriots, which many pose as, they would organize, arm, and return.

However, in my school of about 1500 students (full-time here, not counting "duals" from other campuses here for CTE classes only), we can only get about 60-70 actively involved in ANYthing... and about 50-55 of that number are girls. Most of the boys do nothing put pose.

Sad...

kgoerz
10-21-2010, 16:17
Unlike the State Department and the government of the United States my SF brothers tell the truth and they tell it like it is, no holds barred.

In the 90's under "SLICK Willie" bill clinton, we (Special forces) attempted to "assist" the Mexican government. All the "training" the Special Forces gave them (under protest) was eventually used "against" the United States.

With Mexico, corrupt is an understatement.

Oh yes I remember...THE GREAT MEXICAN TRAINING INITIATIVE.
A bunch of Mexican Generals and politicians said
"lets tell the U.S to train our Troops in the U.S. Not in Mexico because we might have to lift a finger if they come here.Completely outfit our Units, give them pay equal to a U.S Soldiers pay while in the U.S, give them complete Health Care while in the U.S. Worse they can say is no. We said yes of course. What a complete failure that program was.
IMO Mexico is a waste of time. Border up

Box
10-21-2010, 18:32
This entire thread reeks of bigotry.......

Shame on you folks for suggesting that a woman cant handle this job without getting kilt'; or for that matter even suggesting that our oppressed mexican neighbors problems are a product of mexican corruption and not a by product of Americas addiction to oil and drugs and big cars.
if we weren't all a bunch drug addicted racists desperately clinging to guns and religion, mexico wouldn't be in this mess

shame on all of you

DevilSide
10-26-2010, 21:20
That's a brave woman considering what many her in her job description face everyday. If there were more of her around Mexico might actually get somewhere. It's sad to see that Mexico, the land of a culture I grew up with and like, puts up with this crap. Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, etc. I can see them being like this but Mexico is our neighbor, our problem.

I really say we call it like it is, Mexican immigrants are actually refugees, cut out that god awful racist rant from people who have no clue whats going on and secure that boarder. I'm in favor of tighter boarder control, no one can tell me I'm racist because about 90% of my friends are of Mexican decent because of the neighborhood I grew up in. Its costing us too much to worry about what is politically correct, its just hurting America and those true Mexicans trying to live normal lives. From the other posts I've read we have tried to help already but I seriously hope thats not the end of it...:(

RockSolid
10-27-2010, 08:59
The entire police force of the small town in northeastern Mexico quit on Tuesday, a day after gunmen attacked their headquarters. Los Ramones Mayor Santos Salinas said 14 members of the police force told him they quit on Tuesday morning. (Oct. 27)
:munchin

MtnGoat
10-27-2010, 09:23
Corruption being the key word there. Until they clean their own House. Take pride in their own Country. No amount of Aid from the U.S is going to change a thing. One of the things I learned working in Colombia and other South/Central American Countries. They loved their Country and wanted it to be a better place to live. I don't see any of that in Mexico or AStan.

Yeap... big problem in all Latin American Counteries.

MtnGoat
10-27-2010, 09:31
A big problem and something I think is going to get worst. Is small town poilce forces being attacked and walking off the job. I know this is happening already. One Example - Mexican Town's Police Force Quits After Ambush (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/18/mexican-towns-police-forc_n_580829.html)

How long before Mexico collapses??

mark46th
10-27-2010, 13:58
I have lived in Southern California most of my life. My first trip to Mexico was in 1969. I have worked and lived in Mexico. We are a constant reminder to Mexico of how poorly their country has developed. Mexico has been in existence almost 500 years. The United States has been in existence a little over 200 years. Economically, we are 100 years ahead of them. The fact that they are unable to care for their own people on such a large scale embarrasses them every morning they wake up.

I asked a friend of mine in Mexico how could the govenment and people get so corrupt? He said it started with the Conquista. A cruel, corrupt European culture conquered an even more cruel people with the present country being the result.

I found that the key to getting along in Mexico is to have as little contact as possible with any government agency...

Sigaba
10-27-2010, 14:14
Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse.At some point one has to find a way to draw the line behind the past and the present. IMO, this task remains difficult when so many want to politicize the past to meet short term goals (staying in power) at the expense of long term interests. This dynamic of victimization plays out time and again across the planet. I've long wondered how historians can do a better job of addressing this dynamic rather than abetting (intentionally and unintentionally) in its perpetuation.

ZonieDiver
10-27-2010, 14:36
I found that the key to getting along in Mexico is to have as little contact as possible with any government agency...

Good points, Mark. I've found that most Mexicans feel the exact same way!

mark46th
10-27-2010, 15:35
To save Mexico at this point, the Mexicans need either the Second Coming of Jesus Christ or Los Pepes...

Green Light
10-27-2010, 16:25
For Mexico to be saved it's going to have to save itself. But for reasons well-stated above, they just don't have the octane.

It's a shame. Mexico is the homeland of my great-grand father and generations before that. It could be almost as great as the US, but it never will.

As for the young sheriff, I give her a month before she's either run out (couldn't blame her) or they stuff her in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe Richard's right - the Magnificent Seven would be a step in the right direction. ;)

DevilSide
10-27-2010, 20:05
As for the young sheriff, I give her a month before she's either run out (couldn't blame her) or they stuff her in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe Richard's right - the Magnificent Seven would be a step in the right direction. ;)

That's a very sad reality :(

Poor girl has her whole life ahead of her, and she will likely die doing what other Mexican men should be taking the initiative to do. If thats not a sign the country is a mess I don't know what is.

The Reaper
10-27-2010, 20:28
So what is diffrent in Mexico now than it was in the early 1900's? Nothing it seems to me. The problem is their instability is a real threat to this country. Ifeel bad for the people of Mexico but they need to quit putting up with this crap. I don't know if there is a good solution other that B-52'dropping ordnance on the cartel leaders houses and we all know none of the politicans here have the balls for that.

The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not.

Politics are the order of the day. They might be Democrat voters, so let them be.

TR

Green Light
10-28-2010, 08:26
The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not.

TR

Some have, some haven't. I think QPs, by and large, fall into the latter instead of the former. Messing with our families & property would be a real mistake. It would all be over by the time the police got there. I don't think anyone here would just roll over like the Mexicans have.

kgoerz
10-29-2010, 16:17
This is what confuses me. We poured Millions of dollars, our best Military technology of the time and the cream of the crop of our Special Operation forces to hunt down Pablo Escobar. Thousands of miles away and no direct threat to the U.S. Don't think for a minute that killing Pablo slowed down the flow of Drugs into the U.S
Mexico borders our Country and it's problems bleed over directly into our Country but we do nothing. Is it because Mexico doesn't want us there? I know in the 90's they didn't want SF in their Country. Thats why the Mexicans were sent here to be trained. Whats it going to take for us to get involved like we did in Colombia.

Sigaba
10-29-2010, 17:39
Whats it going to take for us to get involved like we did in Colombia.IMO, it is going to take spectacular cartel-sponsored violence in Los Angeles before the federal government does what it might have done long ago.

So far, for what ever reasons, the L.A. area is not seeing the same level of violence as are other cities in border states.

Are the LAPD and other area law enforcement agencies doing that good of a job? (I would like to think "yes.") Or have the cartels figured out that by staying relatively quite in SoCal they can escalate elsewhere?

trvlr
12-28-2010, 10:44
Different town, similar story.

The Mexican border town of Guadalupe has been left with no police force after the last officer was kidnapped.

Erika Gandara's house was set on fire by unidentified gunmen before she was abducted last week, according to the state prosecutor's office.

All her colleagues had resigned or were killed in the region's drug war.

More than 30,000 people have died in drug-related violence since 2006 when the President announced a crackdown on the cartels.

Ms Gandara, 28, had patrolled the town of 9,000 inhabitants on her own since June.

"Nobody wants to go into policing here, and the budget just isn't there anyway," she told AFP news agency earlier this year.

Guadalupe is about 5km (3 miles) away from the US border and 60km (40 miles) from Ciudad Juarez, the centre of drug smuggling operations into the United States.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12085405

incarcerated
03-05-2011, 00:58
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/world/americas/05policechief.html

Concerns Raised Over Young Police Chief

By ELISABETH MALKIN
Published: March 4, 2011
MEXICO CITY — Marisol Valles García, the young mother who took the job of police chief in her violence-ravaged town when nobody else would, has not been to work in three days. On Friday, it appeared she might not be planning to come back soon....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20039436-504083.html

Marisol Valles Garcia flees Mexican town after becoming police chief, says report

March 4, 2011 4:01 PM
Posted by Kevin Hayes
(CBS) Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman after becoming police chief of the small Mexican town of Praxedis, has reportedly fled and is seeking asylum in the United States.

A relative told Agence France-Presse on Thursday that Valles Garcia, 21-year-old mother and student, "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," and that she "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

However, an official from the town of Praxedis, which is across the border from Fort Hancock in Texas, denied that their police chief was leaving.

Town secretary Andres Morales told the El Paso Times that Valles Garcia had asked for some personal days off to tend to her child, but is expected to be back at work on Monday.

As for the reports of her seeking asylum, "Right now, these are rumors," he said....

Team Sergeant
03-05-2011, 09:46
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/world/americas/05policechief.html

Concerns Raised Over Young Police Chief

By ELISABETH MALKIN
Published: March 4, 2011
MEXICO CITY — Marisol Valles García, the young mother who took the job of police chief in her violence-ravaged town when nobody else would, has not been to work in three days. On Friday, it appeared she might not be planning to come back soon....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20039436-504083.html

Marisol Valles Garcia flees Mexican town after becoming police chief, says report

March 4, 2011 4:01 PM
Posted by Kevin Hayes
(CBS) Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman after becoming police chief of the small Mexican town of Praxedis, has reportedly fled and is seeking asylum in the United States.

A relative told Agence France-Presse on Thursday that Valles Garcia, 21-year-old mother and student, "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," and that she "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

However, an official from the town of Praxedis, which is across the border from Fort Hancock in Texas, denied that their police chief was leaving.

Town secretary Andres Morales told the El Paso Times that Valles Garcia had asked for some personal days off to tend to her child, but is expected to be back at work on Monday.

As for the reports of her seeking asylum, "Right now, these are rumors," he said....

Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman

Not surprising when all the male human species of mexico are either criminals or cowards.

crazyitalian
03-05-2011, 15:47
Is it too simple minded to think that maybe the Mexican Army can camp out with some heavy muscle and just take over security of the most dangerous towns on the border?

Well if you consider that some of them might be on the cartel's payroll, or soon to end up on their payroll, then yeah.

Raine_n_Roses
03-05-2011, 16:10
THE REAPER: Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman

Not surprising when all the male human species of mexico are either criminals or cowards.

Or Dead.

I commend, admire, respect, and pray for her. seems like the only one with some balls in Mexico.

Sigaba
03-05-2011, 20:42
Entire post.A--

Did you have the opportunity to read this post above (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=353337&postcount=3) in the current thread?:confused:

Todd 1
03-09-2011, 04:39
Young Mexican police chief seeking asylum in US

EL PASO, Texas – A young woman who received death threats after recently becoming police chief of a violence-plagued Mexican town is in the U.S and seeking asylum, Mexican and U.S. officials said Tuesday.

Marisol Valles Garcia, 20, made international headlines when she accepted the top law enforcement job in Praxedis G. Guerrero, a township near the Texas border that has been overcome by drug violence. Her predecessor was shot to death in July 2009.

Garcia is now in the U.S. and will be allowed to present her case to an immigration judge, according to a statement from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The town is in the Mexican state of Chihuahua, where ombudsman Gustavo de la Rosa confirmed that Garcia was in the U.S. and said she has initiated a formal asylum petition.

Neither ICE nor De la Rosa would say where Garcia was staying, citing privacy and security concerns.

Drug violence has transformed the township of about 8,500 people from a string of quiet farming communities into a lawless no man's land only about a mile from the Texas border. Two rival gangs — the Juarez and Sinaloa drug cartels — are battling over control of its single highway, a lucrative drug-trafficking route along the Texas border.

Residents have said Garcia had received death threats, and the ombudsman said there may have been at least one attempt to kidnap her. Local officials said they had given her a leave of absence from March 2 through March 7 to travel to the U.S. to tend to personal matters, but she never returned.

Garcia was officially fired Monday for apparently abandoning her post. Police will answer to the mayor until a new chief is appointed, the city government's statement said.

Garcia was still a criminology student when she accepted the job in October to oversee 12 police officers. At the time, she said she wanted them to go door-to-door looking for criminals and teaching values to the families.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110309/ap_on_re_us/us_drug_war_mexico_young_police_chief

Go Devil
03-09-2011, 05:17
" At the time, she said she wanted them to go door-to-door looking for criminals and teaching values to the families."

I believe that the Girl Scouts provide a great opportunity to build character in young ladies, but the program falls short when combating nacotics/human trafficking, extortion, and thuggery.