PDA

View Full Version : Deer Processing

Defender968
10-18-2010, 09:59
Can anyone recomend a good deer processor near Ft Bragg?

wet dog
10-18-2010, 10:14
Can anyone recomend a good deer processor near Ft Bragg?

Take it to TR's house!

Hunter84
10-18-2010, 14:47
If you are close to Spring Lake I take all mine to Noble Meats they do a bang up job. PM me if you need directions.

skylinedrive
10-19-2010, 00:25
I don't know about your local laws, so I might propose a nonsense solution, but why don't you do it yourself?
If you want to keep the game for selfconsumption it might be worth the try. Alltough the first butchering you do will be far from perfect it should be good enough for your own cooking needs.

http://www.deerprocessing.org/

cold1
10-19-2010, 10:08
I purchased this book about 3 years ago. Great info, easy to follow, and now I have alot more venison in the freezer.

http://www.amazon.com/Butchering-Deer-Complete-Dressing-Outdoorsmans/dp/158011220X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287504404&sr=8-5

JJ_BPK
10-19-2010, 10:36
I don't know about your local laws, so I might propose a nonsense solution, but why don't you do it yourself?

I am not in NC, But back in NY we had a good friend that owned & operated a bar/restaurant. Had room in his cooler for 6-8 deer + his normal food.

He would hang the carcase for two weeks, then butcher as requested. Not everyone wants or has room for 100 lbs of meat. Most would take the select cuts, have some made into sausage, and donate the rest of it to a Spring family free-bee Sunday dinner.

Butchering is fairly easy. Cooling the carcase and aging the meat is a little more effort than most can do..

In NY Season started at or just after Thanksgiving, so it was generally cold enough to hang the carcase in the garage. I don't guess that is the case in NC??

Good Luck..

:munchin

PS: Your garbage man is not going to be happy when you fill the pails with hide. bones, & sundry bits of body parts...

Defender968
10-19-2010, 15:33
Butchering is fairly easy. Cooling the carcase and aging the meat is a little more effort than most can do.

That's about the size of it

In NY Season started at or just after Thanksgiving, so it was generally cold enough to hang the carcase in the garage. I don't guess that is the case in NC??

Nope mid to upper 70s all week, and I don't think my apt would be thrilled about me hanging a deer out back :D

Hunter84 thanks, googled them, I appreciate the recommendation, assuming I get one in the next couple of weeks I'll take it to them.

Hunter84
10-20-2010, 05:05
No Problem, good luck 12th to 17th of NOV should bring you the best luck of the year.