Parachuting Into Michigan Stadium with the 101st Airborne Division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJX2FiW-ik

trvlr
10-18-2010, 18:34
Nice video.

Richard :munchin

Parachuting Into Michigan Stadium with the 101st Airborne Division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJX2FiW-ik

I had no idea it took that much work with the risers. Thanks.

lksteve
10-18-2010, 18:47
I sent the link to the GF who is a graduate of THE Ohio State University...I will be receiving flack shortly...

CSB
10-18-2010, 21:09
I had no idea it took that much work with the risers. Thanks.

That was a "hop and pop" from barely 5,000 feet. As soon as the canopy opened, he pulled the release to separate the slider (the rectangular cloth that was between the risers). Now in full flight, it's reach down and pull the pin on the smoke grenade. (If he didn't pull the pin while standing on the step of the aricraft).

Then, pulling one steering toggle all the way down -- or if he really wants to cut hard turns, a riser -- sometime with two hands, he creates a spectacular spiral of smoke as he whips round and round. Getting closer to the ground, he reaches up, secures the yellow steering togles for the final approach.

He comes in from the side, not a good idea, since he is in deep brakes as he clears the sidelines and barely has the chance to release, build up a smattering of airspeed, only to pull deep brakes into what should be a flare, but turns into a plain old hard landing.

He would have down better to come across from mid-field, built up airspeed, and then flare for a standing landing/walk away, rather than settle in deep sink to an fall down on the target.

Oh well, it's only Michigan. Not like its something important.:p

CSB
(101st Screaming Eagles Parachute Team, 1972-1974)

adal
10-19-2010, 08:17
Thought he did really well. Missed the "X" by only a few inches. The sound of the crowd welcoming him was great. Nice post.

Rumblyguts
10-19-2010, 09:28
Wow, he was busy!

Was he spiraling for show, or to bleed altitude and decrease drift?

CSB
10-19-2010, 09:48
Since the exit was directly above the stadium, my conclusion is "for the show."

trvlr
10-19-2010, 20:46
CSB
(101st Screaming Eagles Parachute Team, 1972-1974)

::Hats off::