PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Watson

Richard
10-18-2010, 04:47
RIP, El-Tee. We'll link-up again at the giant A Camp in the Sky.

The pic shows Bubba Watson; BG Steven Duff, CDR USASFC; and Gerry Watson on 18 Aug 2010.

Richard :munchin

Bubba Watson's Father Succumbs To Cancer
PNJ, 15 Oct 2010

Bubba Watson always credited his father, Gerry, for giving him the support and determination to become successful in professional golf.

The Milton High graduate was thankful his father was able to see him reach one of the sport's highest stages, playing in the Ryder Cup two weeks ago. He also watched with pride June 27 when Bubba Watson won the Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Conn. for his first PGA Tour victory.

Gerry Watson, 64, died Thursday, following a lengthy bout with cancer. Bubba Watson has received condolences from across the golf world after posting the sad news on his Twitter account.

"My dad got to see me win and play for USA in the Ryder Cup," Bubba Watson wrote in his Twitter account. "God's plan is always right! God gave my family my best year and worst year."

Among the PGA Tour players who quickly responded were Ian Poulter and Rory McIlroy, part of the European team in the Ryder Cup. Many other PGA Tour players have also responded.

Gerry Watson was a lieutenant in the Green Berets' Special Forces during the Vietnam War.

The two were together in Pensacola on Aug. 18 when Bubba Watson gave a free clinic at the A.C. Read Golf Course at Pensacola Naval Air Station, as part of the PGA Tour's "Birdies For The Brave" program.

Gerry Watson, who was helped from a golf cart to the practice range area, was honored for his military service with a plaque presented to him by Gen. Steven Duff, commander of U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Bubba Watson has repeatedly told the story of his father providing a cut-down club for him as a toddler and continuing to encourage his son to play golf in the backyard, then later when he continually traveled with him to junior tournaments.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20101015/TOPSTORIES/101015008/1002/RSS02

greenberetTFS
10-18-2010, 05:31
Gone,but not forgotten.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw - Cached

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......:(

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........:(

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy

Red Flag 1
10-18-2010, 08:01
Rest In God's Peace Lt.

ZonieDiver
10-18-2010, 08:15
Rest In Peace, Sir.

akv
10-18-2010, 08:49
Rest In Peace and Thank You

JJ_BPK
10-18-2010, 09:08
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

wet dog
10-18-2010, 09:53
Rest easy Warrior.

Tatonka316
10-18-2010, 10:28
Rest in Peace, Sir! Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe

RB
04-08-2012, 18:44
This is especially moving today as Bubba Watson just won the Masters on the second playoff hole.

Bubba Jr. wanted to win the PGA in '10 for his father but lost in a playoff. His father passed later that year.

Especially moving was watching Bubba make the gimme on the 74th hole and then looking to the heavens, thinking of Bubba Sr.

Congratulations to Jr and RIP to Gerry Watson, extremely proud of his son today, just as he always was, I'm sure.

Tatonka316
04-08-2012, 19:07
Congratulations to Bubba! He has been a great supporter of the Green Beret Foundation, and I know there were several Green Berets looking down helping some of his shots find their target!!! :D:D:D

molon labe:lifter

Sohei
04-08-2012, 19:21
Rest in Peace, Warrior and thank you for your service and sacrifice!

You will not be forgotten!

nousdefions
04-09-2012, 09:03
Rest in God's Peace, LT.

The Home of the Free, Because of the Brave