PDA

View Full Version : Grocery shopping

brewmonkey
08-16-2004, 17:32
Just curious if anyone else shops like I do. Since I am the one that is home the most I do about 90% of the grocery shopping. I generally make 1 big purchase each month of all the meats, cereal etc... and then a daily trip to grab fresh veggies/fruits as well as the milk and cream for my coffee/tea. I actually wish I lived somewhere that had a fresh market available as my local grocer sucks when it comes to selection and when they do have something exotic* they charge and arm and a freaking leg for it.

*exotic usually means it is widely available everywhere but here and could be anything from portabella mushrooms on over to buffalo steaks.

Roguish Lawyer
08-16-2004, 17:33
I used to go daily for fresh stuff, but that was before I had a job and a family. ;)

brewmonkey
08-16-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I used to go daily for fresh stuff, but that was before I had a job and a family. ;)

LOL!

When I was working at the brewery I used to order all my beef and chicken through SYSCO or US Foods. I could get a case of 70z chicken breasts (24 to a case) for about $22. Hell, I even bought my phyllo dough and puff pastry through them. Nothing like buying like that when you get a huge discount because your restaurant is burning through several tons of meat a month. :D

Know that I am back home and working from the house I like to hit the store almost daily. During the school year I drop the oldest off at school and then the youngest and I go "cruising" at the grocery store.

The Reaper
08-16-2004, 18:35
I enjoy grocery shopping as well.

My wife's friends can't believe it.

TR

Gypsy
08-16-2004, 19:16
I pretty much shop for staples every few weeks, and go every couple of days for fresh fruits/veggies and fresh bread.

The farmer's markets here are fabulous but there is something even better. I have a friend that lives in BFE about 50-60 or so miles west of the city. As you drive down all these "country farm roads" the farmers sit in their front yards (well the kids do) and sell freshly picked veggies right from the farm that day. Corn, tomatoes (mmmmm), peppers, fruits and the like. Matter of fact sometimes they just leave the goods out with an "honor system" container that you deposit your money in. My absolute favorite is the asparagus farm, you can only buy it fresh during April and May though.

myclearcreek
08-16-2004, 21:49
I shop for meat and freezer items monthly, then fresh veggies/fruits and milk 2-3 times/week. More than anything, I miss having my own garden. There is nothing like it.

Sdiver
08-17-2004, 03:21
I'm the same as Brew.

I go out and do a big purchase about once a month and look for specials everyweek in the Sunday paper and the mailers that come in every Tuesday.

I also...(I can't belive I'm going to admit this here on a SF board:eek: )....I also....clip coupons.:rolleyes:

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-17-2004, 08:58
Being retired in Vermont, road kills, game suppers, and the occassional critter that just "happens" to drop dead in my forest just doesn't cut it. I make a monthly run to the Hanscom Airforce Commissary (160 miles from here) and load up the coolers. Have two refrigerators and a large freezer and that sort of keeps us going with the exception of perishables that I pick up at the local store.

Jack Moroney

Team Sergeant
08-17-2004, 09:06
I do all the grocery shopping (and food preperation) in this family. Like the Col, I too have two fridges and one freezer, (and NO forest)! I make bi weekly runs to the local markets and a run to Costco for meats, which I slice up and freeze. Maybe one of these days I’ll venture onto Luke AFB and take a gander what they have in the way of vittles.

Sacamuelas
08-17-2004, 10:14
These last two posts put a big smile on my face. I love this place.... forest critters 'accidental' deaths and vittles. That more than makes up for NDD using meters instead of yards in his last post in the mozambigue shooting thread. Damn commie people's medic.......:p LOL

back to thread....
I do most of the grocery shopping on my way home from work. ALmost daily, I usually get the list for the evening supper from HH6 via email or instant message around 3:30. haha

Guy
08-17-2004, 12:18
I do most of the shopping also, I like going by myself.:D

Most of the cooking also. No recipes though...I do it by taste and imagination.

Wearman
08-17-2004, 15:50
Aint nothing wrong with clipping cupons and looking for specials. Just this last weekend I purchased $230 worth of groceries for around $120. Between store specials, two for ones, and cupons I saved over $100. Now this took three stores to accomplish, but doable and I dont see anything wrong with clipping cupons.

I also am then shopper and food maker in the household. Not becuse the wife cant cook, but I do it better and both of us recognize this.

Shop for meats at a wonderful local German butcher shop that I was fortunate to find. Buy it by the bundle for pennies to the pound and it is all butcher fresh. Vaccum pack and freeze it, $80 worth of meat will usually last 2-3 months.

Fresh fruits or veggies are usually a weekly endeavor. Staples and large shopping sprees are a 4-6 week ventures.

Now if only I can get the famdamily to enjoy game as much as I do, food bills will be significantly reduced.