PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Chukars and Huns

mark46th
10-15-2010, 10:17
Here is a photo of a Chukar and a Hungarian Partridge I took in Northern Nevada outside of Battle Mountain. My friend and I got a total of 8 Chukar and the one Hun. It is only the second Hun that I have taken in 25 years of hunting the area..

craigepo
10-15-2010, 12:54
You guys using dogs, or walking them up?

mark46th
10-15-2010, 22:22
This is big country. The distance between covey's is miles so we drive until we see a bunch. Sometimes we are lucky and they are close to the road, sometimes we have to try to get around them then ambush them, bust up the covey and flush up the singles. We had a Lab with us but she is a duck dog. She was fine as long as she could see the birds fall, not so good when it came to flushing them.

I am getting a bit long in the tooth so I like the ones we catch by the road best. I'm only good for 3 or 4 runs up a mountain...

wet dog
10-16-2010, 20:44
Here is a photo of a Chukar and a Hungarian Partridge I took in Northern Nevada outside of Battle Mountain. My friend and I got a total of 8 Chukar and the one Hun. It is only the second Hun that I have taken in 25 years of hunting the area..

Hey brother, good to see your field trip was not without a few rewards. I was driving thru Battle Mountian late Monday afternoon, pulling into Reno that night.

Sorry I missed the weekend shoot, I'll do my best to be there next year.

WD

Buffalobob
10-26-2010, 05:55
Nothing better than chukars next to a dirt road and a load of #6s. :D

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/bufflerbob/P1010006.jpg

mark46th
10-27-2010, 13:44
BuffBob- Nice!

We switched to #4's on these guys. A lot of open space so the extra range has helped. We have killed birds out to 60+ yards with them.