The Reaper
10-15-2010, 08:21
Good read.

Tough days to be soldiers.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/the-last-patrol/8266/1/

TR

DinDinA-2
10-15-2010, 11:11
Indeed, a good read. It takes me back to my first tour in VN, with the 173d. This story could have been written then and be just as accurate.

Yes, tough times for our soldiers today.

Support them however you can!

1stindoor
10-15-2010, 11:25
T.R. Thanks for the post, great read.

PRB
10-15-2010, 12:58
Volunteer Army after all of these years of war. I see young Sgt's with 8 combat hash marks on their class A's.
Tell me we don't have great young Americans.
Next time you hear an old guy bitchin about young kids today grab him by the stack and swivel.

2old2play
10-15-2010, 13:25
My son is in 2 Charlie. He was an 18X who washed out and ended up in the 82nd. He gave me the occasional sitrep but I didn't realize how bad he had it there until I read this article. I still don't understand how we still have ground ceded to the enemy after 10 years of fighting. It just doesn't make sense.

He's considering dropping a SWCS packet soon for a second run at a long tab. Regardless, I'm a dad that couldn't be prouder.

BTAR

mojaveman
10-15-2010, 14:11
That was a pretty solemn story. My hat's off to all of those young members of C Co. 2/508. Reading that almost made me feel guilty that I was in during peacetime.

The Reaper
10-15-2010, 19:16
I agree.

Young American soldiers, kids, in some cases, doing their jobs to the best of their abilities under very difficult circumstances.

I felt sorry for the artillery unit sent to replace them. They were destined to take a real beating.

Well written and gripping story as well.

Where do these young men come from?

Thanks to the parents, teachers, coaches, preachers, and trainers who made them what they are.

When those guys have a bad day, they do not come home, of if they do, minus some key pieces.

How can we complain about our lives after reading that?

RIP to the fallen, prayers out for all. God Bless the American Paratrooper.

Thank you.

TR

Tatonka316
10-15-2010, 21:12
Thank you, TR for posting and reminding all of us how lucky we are there are brave men and women in uniform that are willing to do what needs to be done, no matter what is asked of them.

God bless them all!!!

molon labe

akv
10-16-2010, 00:32
Thank TR, brutal and very humbling, god bless them.

rdret1
10-16-2010, 01:46
Our prayers are with all of them. It makes one proud to know there are still young men willing to fight for what is right.

The antihero
10-16-2010, 06:56
Amazing article, thank you sir. And thank you to those soldiers.

levinj
10-16-2010, 07:48
Amazing article.

I wish the best for those poor 101st artillerymen. That's the short end of the stick, alright.

JJ2K1
10-16-2010, 08:24
Very well written article that really puts a good visual on things. I had to send out a link to this article to family members who have no clue what it is like to be in a combat zone these days as an eye opener for the sacrifices these young brave men make on a daily basis, and to not forget that we are still a nation at war.

TrapLine
10-16-2010, 08:41
That was a very humbling article to read. I think it is a good reminder for us civilians of the sacrifices others are making to keep us free. My prayers today are with those still at war, those who have returned, and the families of those who have not. I am thankful for each of you who have signed your name and volunteered, both past and present. And finally, with respect, I think it is only those of us who have not worn the uniform that need ask, where do we get such men?

PRB
10-16-2010, 09:07
As the others have said, thankyou for the story TR. Very humbling.

Why was an artillery unit sent in to do the job of the infantry though?

Same thing happened in Iraq as Combat Arms troops have been used out of their primary MOS to cover all the bases....small Army.

Paslode
10-16-2010, 09:30
Day in, day out sucking it up to take a walk on pins and needles....

As Trapline said, a very humbling read.

MK262
10-16-2010, 17:11
Powerful read. Amazing story.

We truly have the finest fighting men in the world.

I can't thank them enough for the service and sacrifice.

XJWoody
10-17-2010, 05:37
That was powerful.

Thanks for another arrow in the quiver to cast at the next DB that I hear whining about how their day sucked.

Is "indirect fire" not being used to it's full advantage in theater? Without the descent through ten layers of approval hell to get a fire mission cooking... Or are the indig hearts & minds that precious? Seems like orchards, irrigation canals, walled compounds etc are just what mortars & other high-angle toys were made for?

The Reaper
10-17-2010, 08:40
That was powerful.

Thanks for another arrow in the quiver to cast at the next DB that I hear whining about how their day sucked.

Is "indirect fire" not being used to it's full advantage in theater? Without the descent through ten layers of approval hell to get a fire mission cooking... Or are the indig hearts & minds that precious? Seems like orchards, irrigation canals, walled compounds etc are just what mortars & other high-angle toys were made for?

Sad to say, you cannot kill your way to sucess in an insurgency, as long as you are unwilling to commit genocide and the opponent's will to continue fighting exceeds your own.

We can see that from the Soviet Union's experience there, who were much more willing to employ such draconian measures than we are. It takes some serious amorality to drop cluster bombs disguised as toys, and to spray mycotoxins on entire villages.

I have my own personal opinions about the unit actions described, but was not there and will not second-guess their actions publicly. I think they did the best they could with the resources they had.

TR

fng13
10-17-2010, 10:36
Compelling read...

Thank you, TR.

Red Flag 1
10-17-2010, 14:05
A great and humbling read TR. Thanks for posting it!

RF 1

aegisnavy
10-17-2010, 19:17
It should be requisite for every American to watch/read this report. One of the most poignant posts I have seen in a long time on any forum.

Shadow86
10-18-2010, 11:41
I cannot recall the last time a piece of journalism really hit me in the gut like that. A powerful, compelling read.

Thoughts and prayers to all our brothers currently in the fight.

Bordercop
10-18-2010, 15:15
Thanks for this amazing article. The Border Patrol has hired quite a few former Marines and ex-soldiers to patrol the border. When I was in Arizona and we were laying in on trails waiting to arrest a group I noticed there was something different about the veterans we had working with us who had been to Iraq or Afghanistan. They paid more attention. They were quiet. They were ready for trouble and expected the unexpected better than Agents who had been doing the job for twice as long. Now I understand, a little better, why.

I've never been in combat, but reading that story sent chills up and down my spine. I pray every night for our men and women over there. God bless them all.

aegisnavy
10-19-2010, 09:27
Along the same lines as this thread. Emphasizes the tough job the boots on the ground are facing.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700074641/In-Afghan-town-insurgents-vanish.html?pg=1