PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan hit by disfiguring tropical disease

Pete
10-15-2010, 06:27
Afghanistan hit by disfiguring tropical disease

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11545133

".......The WHO warned that the disease, cutaneous leishmaniasis, threatens the health of 13 million Afghans, especially women and girls.

Cutaneous leishmaniasis is a parasitic disease transmitted through the bites of certain species of sand-fly. ............."

13 Million is a lot of folks. You medics seeing any on our guys?

The search hits here seem to focus on the tropics.

whocares175
10-17-2010, 17:16
i know when i went through RIP back in '04 the commandant was an old crusty E-8 from RRD that had spent lots of time in Afghanistan. he was covered with scars from having leish surgically removed. i know that's kinda old and dated. the only, more recent, news i know the instructors in med blocks in the delta course talk about having had to treat is leish quite a few times. so i know it's out there. how previlant, i don't know.

alelks
10-17-2010, 17:47
I was initially diagnosed with leishmaniasis near the end of my military career. Fortunately it turned out to be Basil Cell Carcinoma instead (in the respect that I didn't have to go through the treatment). They caught the misdiagnosis when they sent me to Walter Reed for treatment. I was not looking forward to going through the treatment for sure.