PDA

View Full Version : Massive airborne tree landing

JJ2K1
10-14-2010, 06:29
Just came across this video this morning, thought it was pretty funny and that you guys would enjoy.

http://gizmodo.com/5663191/all-these-paratroopers-and-nowhere-for-them-to-land-except-the-forest

Pete
10-14-2010, 07:09
I wonder who was running the DZ. With regular rounds DCAV ain't that hard.

"This place looks good enough. Put the panels out here."

As a side note JRTC was stationed there during the early 90's. The O/C's had the alert bunker down at the end of the runway. The cleared area on the other side of the runway is not that wide as DZs go and a crosswind would make it tricky.

Notice the ridge in the background. A wind blowing towards it could read a slower wind speed at ground level and a bit higher above the ridge. Sometimes those AF weather guys can be handy. If they are available - use them.

rdret1
10-14-2010, 10:04
Remember the times! Airborne!

greenberetTFS
10-14-2010, 10:45
I wonder who was running the DZ. With regular rounds DCAV ain't that hard.

"This place looks good enough. Put the panels out here."

As a side note JRTC was stationed there during the early 90's. The O/C's had the alert bunker down at the end of the runway. The cleared area on the other side of the runway is not that wide as DZs go and a crosswind would make it tricky.

Notice the ridge in the background. A wind blowing towards it could read a slower wind speed at ground level and a bit higher above the ridge. Sometimes those AF weather guys can be handy. If they are available - use them.

That was sundays drop!............ :eek: What about saturday when most ended up on the runway?...........:rolleyes: Anyone know what outfit was jumping?............:o

Big Teddy :munchin

ZonieDiver
10-14-2010, 10:50
I landed on a runway more than once... and I was okay. Sounds to me like a "Roster # 39, that was an improper Parachute Landing Fall. Recover and make another jump!"

Granite
10-14-2010, 10:53
That was 1BCT from the 82nd. My buddy was on that jump, and he said the entire weekend was a mess. Planes breaking down, no 3 minute slow down, and the majority of guys landed in the trees as you can see. A few guys landed outside the barbed wire fence that marks the base.
I was supposed to jump on that, but now I'm glad I didn't!

aegisnavy
10-14-2010, 11:42
Hope no one was hurt. I'm cringing as am watching the video thinking of the possibilities of someone getting seriously hurt. Somehow the Benny Hill theme song didn't make it any easier to watch.

greenberetTFS
10-14-2010, 11:55
I landed on a runway more than once... and I was okay. Sounds to me like a "Roster # 39, that was an improper Parachute Landing Fall. Recover and make another jump!"

OK Zonie,You just opened up this thread for "my best of the best" jump stories.......:eek: When I was with the 12th Group we had a jump scheduled for Joliet Arsenal's DZ....We jumped and lo and behold as I looked down and saw the main power feeder line gong into Joliet directly below me.........:eek: I landed "in between those lines" and to this day I still can't believe how I did it......... ;)

Big Teddy :munchin

CSB
10-14-2010, 12:14
I assume, since that was convential S/L with T-10's that the USAF CCT and pilots all lost thir TAC ratings and will have to requalify.

That is bullshit.

What did the brigade commander do?

And what was the drop altitude? (looked like over 1,000 feet, jumping Hollywood = lots of drift)..

x SF med
10-15-2010, 09:03
Just think how long it took to recover and shake all those chutes... I hope all the jumpers took the tree landing briefing seriously, they sure needed it.

the vid reminds me of...
When the 82nd jumped at Turner when I was at Devens... most of them missed it, and a few found 'the Ravine'... 10th SFG(A) and the CWT pieball team set the DZ just the way we would for ourselves, and we didn't get a lot of tree landings....

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-15-2010, 12:23
Yeah! Runway DZ's are not the best way to land. I landed on the runway's in Paine Field and also at Ft. Wainwright, AK. Also some tree landings here and there. One on purpose with the smoke jumpers. (Using their suits & helmets.) :munchin