PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique My Plans

furry
10-12-2010, 15:44
A little input from those with experience in the military and National Guard would be much appreciated.

I am currently (and probably from quite some time) unable to get an 18x or Rep63 contract because they are not giving Airborne enlistment contracts to anyone with any medical waivers. Thus my best option is looking to be joining as an 11B in the CO NG and then trying to get a Selection date ASAP upon returning from Basic/AIT (and proving myself in the SF training detachment, of course).

Obviously the biggest fear/concern of mine is not getting the chance at Selection since I will be joining as simply an 11B with nothing more guaranteed in writing.

My recruiter has been nothing but straightforward thus far, and very helpful through the frustrating process, so I have no reason to doubt him. He tells me it looks like this is going to become a standard practice for sidestepping this red tape with a lot of guys. A MSG in the 19th here has given me assurances that he will be looking out for me and pull me over to the training detachment. I expressed the concern that the infantry commander would perhaps not allow me to just immediately leave his unit, and I recieved this email from a 1LT (I presume the one under whom I would be "joining" as an 11B):

"SFC ----- informs me of your situation and your desire to become a member of 5/19 Special Forces Group. I understand your intent is to enlist into Bravo Company 1-157 Infantry Battalion and transfer to 5/19th SFG upon completion of you initial entry training. In my Bravo Company, my policy is to never block transfers requested by soldiers (be it inter-state transfers, transfer to active duty, or transfer to a different Colorado National Guard Unit). The only exception to this policy could occur if the Battalion is stop-lossed by the Battalion Commander. A stop-loss could occur if the Battalion receives a warning order for a deployment (none at this time), and it is command directed. In this situation, I will most likely not be allowed to transfer soldiers out of the Company. I hope this answers your question in regards to my policy on transfers."

Does this all sound gravy? Crazy? Any other questions I should ask? I presume I am to infer that a 1LT has the power expressed in the email to approve or disprove such a transfer, is that incorrect?

Thank you much.

Jgood
10-12-2010, 15:56
Maybe am missing some thing but if you cant get a airborne slot now because of a medical issue what makes you think you can get one once your in. If your medically disqualified then it doesn’t change with a enlistment.

wet dog
01-04-2011, 16:44
A little input from those with experience in the military and National Guard would be much appreciated.

I am currently (and probably from quite some time) unable to get an 18x or Rep63 contract because they are not giving Airborne enlistment contracts to anyone with any medical waivers. Thus my best option is looking to be joining as an 11B in the CO NG and then trying to get a Selection date ASAP upon returning from Basic/AIT (and proving myself in the SF training detachment, of course).

Obviously the biggest fear/concern of mine is not getting the chance at Selection since I will be joining as simply an 11B with nothing more guaranteed in writing.

My recruiter has been nothing but straightforward thus far, and very helpful through the frustrating process, so I have no reason to doubt him. He tells me it looks like this is going to become a standard practice for sidestepping this red tape with a lot of guys. A MSG in the 19th here has given me assurances that he will be looking out for me and pull me over to the training detachment. I expressed the concern that the infantry commander would perhaps not allow me to just immediately leave his unit, and I recieved this email from a 1LT (I presume the one under whom I would be "joining" as an 11B):

"SFC ----- informs me of your situation and your desire to become a member of 5/19 Special Forces Group. I understand your intent is to enlist into Bravo Company 1-157 Infantry Battalion and transfer to 5/19th SFG upon completion of you initial entry training. In my Bravo Company, my policy is to never block transfers requested by soldiers (be it inter-state transfers, transfer to active duty, or transfer to a different Colorado National Guard Unit). The only exception to this policy could occur if the Battalion is stop-lossed by the Battalion Commander. A stop-loss could occur if the Battalion receives a warning order for a deployment (none at this time), and it is command directed. In this situation, I will most likely not be allowed to transfer soldiers out of the Company. I hope this answers your question in regards to my policy on transfers."

Does this all sound gravy? Crazy? Any other questions I should ask? I presume I am to infer that a 1LT has the power expressed in the email to approve or disprove such a transfer, is that incorrect?

Thank you much.

What are you most concerned with, serving as a young 11B in my glorious Army, or wanting to serve in my beloved SF regiment?

I think service in one will only make you better to the other. Sign up, serve, if we like what we see, we will find you and give you an oportunity to attend SFAS.

furry
03-02-2011, 08:53
Wet Dog, thanks for the input. Sorry to be AWOL on you, I've been alpine climbing in Patagonia the last few months.
On my way back to the States now, signed up before I left (11B in CONG as per the plans above) and will be shipping to Basic April 4. Hopefully all goes well and I can maximize any opportunities I'm given.

219seminole
03-02-2011, 09:50
I presume I am to infer that a 1LT has the power expressed in the email to approve or disprove such a transfer, is that incorrect?

If the 1LT is the company commander, the answer is Yes.