PDA

View Full Version : The 99

rdret1
10-11-2010, 12:22
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/trading_cape_for_the_burqa_SVLKS5gF1HlJugmRPFJepL/0

http://www.the99.org/

Bob B. put the NYP link onto FB this morning. I hadn't heard of this cartoon, or that it was being placed on "The Hub" , formerly Discovery Kids. It piqued my curiosity, so I checked it out. I looked all through the web site, even downloaded and read the introductory comic. I read all of the character back stories that were listed.

It leaves me with mixed feelings, I must say. The top level story line seems to be one of basic good vs. evil. I still felt there was a much deeper story line. Not being as familiar with the Muslim faith as many of you are, I wasn't able to decipher a lot of it completely. I did get the impression that there were some hidden meanings in some of the art work, however. The patterns did not seem random to me.

I can see where this cartoon will be attractive to kids. The comic is drawn in a slick, graphic novel style. The cartoon itself is in the CGI format that many kids have grown accustomed to these days. The "heroes" are kids of the same age as the intended audience and their backstories are similar to many of the kids who will be watching it.

I would be interested in seeing the reactions of those who are much more familiar with Islam than me. I may have to watch an episode or two myself before I decide if I allow my granddaughter to watch it in my house.

Richard
10-11-2010, 13:38
The SEARCH function would have taken you to this:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30131&highlight=Al-Mutawa

Richard :munchin

Pete
10-11-2010, 16:07
What I find interesting is it is scheduled to be on the Hub - sometime in the future.

This show will have a religious base.

Which programs on Discovery Kids/The Hub have a Christian or Jewish group of kids out battling for their religion?

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp

NoRoadtrippin
10-11-2010, 16:47
I wonder if the President would give a shout out to a new show promoting Christian tolerance and values?

Richard
10-11-2010, 17:58
Lots of Judeo-Christian religiously themed stories being shown on the MSM/cable/satellite. Anybody ever watch "The Robe", "The Ten Commandments", "The Prince of Egypt", "Luther", "The Chronicles of Narnia", "Ben Hur", "Chariots of Fire", "Facing the Giants", "The Mission", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Gods and Generals", "The Apostle", "We Were Soldiers", "Amistad", "The Hiding Place", "The Lord of the Rings", "The Greatest Story Ever Told", "Fireproof", "Superman", usw.

And then there's the radio. Anybody ever listen to Johnny Cash, Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, Hank Williams, George Jones, Crystal Gayle, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, George Jones, Randy Travis, Statler Brothers, Dolly Parton, Brenda Lee, Willie Nelson, Barbara Mandrell, Mel Tillis, Loretta Lynn, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, George Strait, Norman Greenbaum, U2, usw.

PSM
10-11-2010, 19:14
As for Christian-themed mainstream cartoons aimed at children, I can only think of "Davey and Goliath".

Pat

ZonieDiver
10-11-2010, 19:25
As for Christian-themed mainstream cartoons aimed at children, I can only thing of "Davey and Goliath".

Pat

"Veggie Tales" are close... not that I watch them, and would know anything about them...:D

PSM
10-11-2010, 19:39
"Veggie Tales" are close... not that I watch them, and would know anything about them...:D

Are they on broadcast TV? I haven't watched (seen) cartoons since I directed the Uncle Bob Show in Tucson roughly 37 years ago. :eek: Well, OK, I did watch The Tick with my son when he was 7 or 8. ;)

Pat

Pete
10-12-2010, 04:46
Lots of Judeo-Christian religiously themed stories being shown on the MSM/cable/satellite. ..............

I knew you would chime in, Richard, with something I didn't ask.

Now how about listing the Christian / Jewish themed shows aimed at kids that are shown on mainstream or cable channels. Not counting the Christian Channels.

Richard
10-12-2010, 07:11
I knew you would chime in, Richard, with something I didn't ask.

Now how about listing the Christian / Jewish themed shows aimed at kids that are shown on mainstream or cable channels. Not counting the Christian Channels.

Good vs evil - ever watch a Superman cartoon and look at the background of the creators and the themes they used to develop its characters?

Davey and Goliath were popular on TV when I was younger and we had 3 channels from which to choose. They still show up amongst some of the periodic nostalgia offerings on TV.

How many kids have watched All Dogs Go To Heaven or The Prince of Egypt usw?

How about The Simpsons? http://www.snpp.com/guides/religion.html

Ever read BC in the Sunday funnies or watch the annual rebroadcasting of A Charlie Brown Christmas?

And so forth.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Pete
10-12-2010, 07:18
Good vs evil - ever watch a Superman cartoon and look at the background of the creators and the themes they used to develop its characters?........

So in other words - you can't. Nice try at blowing smoke.

Richard
10-12-2010, 07:42
I see.

Pete
10-12-2010, 08:30
I see.

Still waiting for you to post a list of kids shows staring kids like Johnny Jew or Peggy Presbyterian - maybe Nancy the Nun.

Shows on the same channel planning to show the program in question?

rdret1
10-12-2010, 11:37
The SEARCH function would have taken you to this:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30131&highlight=Al-Mutawa

I did perform a search, I guess I used the wrong words. OTOH, the referenced thread and this one have been illuminating.

As for cartoons or movies with a Christian theme, we are a predominately Christian nation, whether one wishes to admit it or not (current POTUS). Cartoons and movies with Christian values were plentiful from the advent of film through the early 80's. There have been fewer in recent years I believe. Those that have been made are often panned by the critics and marginalized. The only one I can think of that is overtly religious and received good reviews with a large audience was "Touched by an Angel". I might include "Supernatural" in that but the story line is completely different.

Richard, some of those you included in your list I would argue with. I don't think just a "good vs. evil" theme would qualify as a religious connotation. I think it needs a definite theme. "The Matrix" is a good example.

What disturbs me is the current trend to acceptance of protesting anytime Christian values or God are mentioned, while supporting Islamic values and Allah. I just saw a story about Kalifornia parents being upset about their kids having to say the Pledge of Allegiance and "One Nation under God" in school. IMO, these are contributing factors to the decline of our society.

As for "The 99", I think I may have to watch an episode or two and see what it seems to promote.

Sigaba
10-12-2010, 12:09
As for cartoons or movies with a Christian theme, we are a predominately Christian nation, whether one wishes to admit it or not (current POTUS). Cartoons and movies with Christian values were plentiful from the advent of film through the early 80's. There have been fewer in recent years I believe. Those that have been made are often panned by the critics and marginalized. The only one I can think of that is overtly religious and received good reviews with a large audience was "Touched by an Angel". I might include "Supernatural" in that but the story line is completely different.

<SNIP>FWIW, I agree. American civilization is infused with Christian values. So even avowedly secular programming is going to reenforce those values. YMMV.

ZonieDiver
10-12-2010, 14:27
Are they on broadcast TV? I haven't watched (seen) cartoons since I directed the Uncle Bob Show in Tucson roughly 37 years ago. :eek: Well, OK, I did watch The Tick with my son when he was 7 or 8. ;)

Pat

They are on here in Phoenix fairly often - Sunday mornings sometimes... even on Channel 12 (NBC)! Of course, this is ARIZONA, know haven for kooks and misfits. :D(And there is always room for one or two more... ;))

Richard
10-12-2010, 20:00
Still waiting for you to post a list of kids shows staring kids like Johnny Jew or Peggy Presbyterian - maybe Nancy the Nun.

Shows on the same channel planning to show the program in question?

I guess I'm out of touch with e-America.

I do not have cable or satellite because I refuse to pay for programming which has already been paid for and only have access to the programs through my antenna which are broadcast openly and free of charge. I have an antenna and have access to about 60 channels - around 25% of which are Hispanic and around 25% of which are Chrisitan. Of the Christian channels, several are 24/7 Christian cartoon programming. I choose not to watch them.

There are no Muslim programs around here on the mainstream channels.

I do not get Discovery channel because it is a private channel which is broadcast only to those who pay for it.

And so it goes...

Pete
10-13-2010, 04:04
.......... Of the Christian channels, several are 24/7 Christian cartoon programming. I choose not to watch them.

There are no Muslim programs around here on the mainstream channels.

I do not get Discovery channel because it is a private channel which is broadcast only to those who pay for it............

More smoke.

Richard - you keep reverting to "Christian channels". You continue to mix apples and bananas.

A mainstream cable channel is fixin' to air a Muslim based TV show for all the kiddies to watch.

I've asked you a couple of times to name a similar show highlighting Christian or Jewish themes.

So far you've gone the 1960's route - some are still in reruns on obscure channels - and since we're a Christian nation all the shows reflect our values - stuff is shown on Christian channels. But no similar show has been named yet.

Has your google-fu been weak the past week? Or could it be that there are no similar shows with a Christian or Jewish slant similar to the 99?

If that's the case then "Why the 99?" This show will be targeting kids. Libbers are all upset about "Happy Meal" commercials indoctrinating our kids and they want to plop them down for the 99?

Don
10-13-2010, 05:37
I have an antenna and have access to about 60 channels - around 25% of which are Hispanic and around 25% of which are Chrisitan. Of the Christian channels, several are 24/7 Christian cartoon programming. Richard :munchin

25% of 60 is 15 (I learned my wicked math skills cutting dipoles and longwires)...so, you are saying there are 15 christian channels out there for public access that blast christian propoganda 24/7? Is that really true or an exageration to make a point? Or is it more like 25% of the stations broadcast a christian themed show at some point during the programming day? Or is it 25% of the channels have Christian ownership (kinda like chic-fil-a)? I think that distinction is important.

Pete's making a valid point with his last post...

Richard
10-13-2010, 06:50
...and around 25% of which are Chrisitan.

I was guesstimating but after checking the channels on my TV, the 24/7 Christian broadcast channels on the public airways (non-cable/satellite and about 50/50 English or Spanish) around where I live are:

Around a half-dozen of them are 24/7 Christian-themed cartoon channels.

MSM channels are:

4.1 Fox
5.1 NBC
5.2 NBC
8.1 ABC
11.1 CBS
11.2 CBS
13.1 PBS
13.2 PBS
19.1 CBS
33.1 WB
8.2 ABC

There are many other open-air broadcast channels which are infomercial, local programming, communiity service programming, shopping, Hispanic networks, music networks, movie networks, etc.

Many of the local and even MSM (e.g., CBS, WB, FOX) stations also have Christian broadcasting on Sunday - including some with Christian-themed cartoons for kids.

My points are that (1) they are there and (2) that I personally support the notion that it remain the parent's prerogative in this country to monitor and guide their children's viewing and learning.
__
BT

Richard

Sigaba
10-13-2010, 08:15
What I find interesting is it is scheduled to be on the Hub - sometime in the future.

This show will have a religious base.

Which programs on Discovery Kids/The Hub have a Christian or Jewish group of kids out battling for their religion?

Chirp, Chirp, ChirpFWIW, It has been a while since my days working for a software R&D lab in the digital cable industry and I am constrained by a dozen or so NDAs. I can say that since the 1990s, questions about who is showing what and when are they showing it are increasingly irrelevant.

In the age of "on demand," what matters most is the question "Who is watching?". This is to say it is all about the ratings.

Don
10-13-2010, 09:00
I was guesstimating but after checking the channels on my TV, the 24/7 Christian broadcast channels on the public airways (non-cable/satellite and about 50/50 English or Spanish) around where I live are... [Truncated]
Let me IMI my last. Are these channels 100% dedicated to providing Christian broadcasting 24/7...or do these channels just broadcast a couple of shows over the course of the day? If all of them are 100% dedicated to pumping Christian propoganda out there...you must have a deeply religious population that loves to hear the Word of the Lord. A station would not survive very long broadcasting shows nobody has any inclination to watch.

It's a free market. If you can make money broadcasting the 700 club...good for you. As long as the shows dont advocate overthrowing the government or killing non-believers, I'm pretty much down with it. If it doesn't pick my pocket nor break my leg what does it matter?

Pete
10-13-2010, 09:00
.....My points are that (1) they are there and (2) that I personally support the notion that it remain the parent's prerogative in this country to monitor and guide their children's viewing and learning.....

And just what was the name of the show similar to the 99 on a non-christian, non-public access MSM/Cable Channel?

Rin & Stimpy like shows? Naked Mole Rat shows? Ed, Ed & Eddy shows? Dora the Explorer shows? Maybe the Simpsons?

What show has Good Christian or Jewish kids out fighting evil?

Pete
10-13-2010, 09:03
......In the age of "on demand," what matters most is the question "Who is watching?". This is to say it is all about the ratings.

Not so. Cable providers not offering al-a-carte services is prof of that. If viewers were allowed to pick each of the channels they paid for you would see a lot of channels go belly up.

Sigaba
10-13-2010, 09:30
Not so. Cable providers not offering al-a-carte services is prof of that. If viewers were allowed to pick each of the channels they paid for you would see a lot of channels go belly up.QP Pete--

IIRC, the debate over a la carte services is a bit more complex than cable providers vs subscribers <<LINK (http://broadcastengineering.com/mag/broadcasting_cablesatellite_programming_la/)>>.

In my experience, MSO's (multi system operators or divisions of larger cable companies) regularly ask software developers for features that give viewers a de facto a la carte option via parental control and customizable channel line ups. This is to say that one can easily program one's cable set-top box so that one never has to view certain channels or types of programs.

Meanwhile, ongoing advances in metadata harvesting and DVR hardware give viewers the ability to encounter more and more shows that suit their tastes while preserving the "lean back" experience the digital cable industry hangs its hat on.

TrapLine
10-13-2010, 10:35
My understanding is that al la carte cable is more complex than it may seem on the surface, though I have yet to fully understand why. What bothers me is that a large portion of the channels I am currently subscribing to are channels that I would not support, if given the choice. The right thing to do would most likely be to follow Richard's lead and put up an antenna, but that would leave me without the few channels we actually watch. I would prefer not to help fund channels like MTV but can not exclude them without losing the regional sports network:mad:.

Saoirse
10-13-2010, 10:44
It starts with one show and there will be more to follow. You will have some parents that will be diligent in watching what their kids watch and edit appropriately and then there will be parents that use the idiot box as a babysitter and won't pay attention to this indoctrination.
As far as ala carte TV, I think they cable and satellite companies would make more money if they allows us to pick and choose! Just my humble opinion!

Sigaba
10-13-2010, 10:44
My understanding is that al la carte cable is more complex than it may seem on the surface, though I have yet to fully understand why. What bothers me is that a large portion of the channels I am currently subscribing to are channels that I would not support, if given the choice. The right thing to do would most likely be to follow Richard's lead and put up an antenna, but that would leave me without the few channels we actually watch. I would prefer not to help fund channels like MTV but can not exclude them without losing the regional sports network:mad:.IMO, your best option is to do all/some of the following:

(a) customize the channel line up on your set-top box to exclude the channels you do not want,
(b) program your DVR to record lots and lots of sports programming,
(c) consistently delete programs off of your DVR that you do not want,
(d) find and join message boards for cable subscribers and talk about how much you want a la carte[these boards are monitored by software engineers/developers if not also cable companies], and
(e) write letters to the staff members of the relevant congressional committees and the FCC.

The importance of steps (b) and (c) is for the viewing data and how those data are harvested/analyzed. Step (d) is crucial because software developers monitor those message boards.

HTH.As far as ala carte TV, I think they cable and satellite companies would make more money if they allows us to pick and choose! Just my humble opinion!It depends upon how a cable company fits into a corporation's bigger picture. Digital convergence remains the Holy Grail. Right now, the quest for convergence centers around content. Some cable companies are part of corporations that also own services (networks). So if, for example, you want ESPN, Disney is going to do its best to make sure your MSO also carries The Disney Channel.

Pete
10-13-2010, 11:15
....... give viewers a de facto a la carte option via parental control and customizable channel line ups. ......

True but you still pay for all the channels on that tier. Which is why cable companies like to keep bumping the popular channels up to the next tier.

Remember when HBO was the next step up from basic cable? Now HBO & Showtime are up on tier four.

rdret1
10-13-2010, 12:35
That is one reason I like my Directv. I can set up a program with only the channels I want to see and don't have to mess with the rest of the garbage. Discovery Kids, soon to be "the Hub", however is one of the channels I want my kids to watch. We will have to see if that remains true after airing of "The 99" though.

Sigaba
10-13-2010, 14:08
True but you still pay for all the channels on that tier. Which is why cable companies like to keep bumping the popular channels up to the next tier.

Remember when HBO was the next step up from basic cable? Now HBO & Showtime are up on tier four.QP Pete--

If I didn't already know from reading your user bio, I'd hazard a guess that you are a Time Warner Cable customer.:p (Do they charge you to have access to the interactive program guide like TWC NYC does?)

Pete
10-13-2010, 14:20
QP Pete--

If I didn't already know from reading your user bio, I'd hazard a guess that you were a Time Warner Cable customer.:p (Do they charge you to have access to the interactive program guide like TWC NYC does?)

Man, I'm still POed at T/W from when they tried to hijack me for a monthly box fee to rent the box so I could see extra chanels.

No box for me.

JustinW20
10-13-2010, 16:04
What show has Good Christian or Jewish kids out fighting evil?

Don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I am something of a comic book geek. As far as good Christian/Jewish boys and girls out fighting crime go:

Superman – Methodist
Batman – Catholic/Episcopalian (lapsed)
Iron Man – Atheist / Agnostic
Spider Man – Protestant
Captain America – Protestant
Night Crawler – Catholic
Daredevil – Catholic
The Thing – Jewish
Gambit – Catholic

All of these characters have referenced their religions (at least briefly) in their comics. I think no one really notices or makes a big deal out of it because we are a Judeo-Christian nation. It would only be unusual / worth noting if they were not Judeo-Christian. YMMV.

Nightfall
10-13-2010, 16:40
Battlestar Galactica (new and old, but particularly the new) had some fairly obvious Christian overtones, Mono vs. Polytheistic (Greek/Roman gods vs. the 1 True God of the Cylons). Most of the religious debates on the show - especially the show's ending was in the vein of other Christian themed movies or stories (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe/LOTR). The old was sort of a play on certain old testiment stories.

All things considered, I watched the cartoon's 7 minute intro on the site posted, doesn't look that bad, similar to the above mentioned shows. Themed but not overt, influenced but not obvious. Either way, it is sort of ironic, the "bad guy" talking about imposing his beliefs on the week and feeble minded. Sounds like the dogma of Islam to me. But that's another show and MHOO, YMMV...

Pete
10-13-2010, 17:22
[QUOTE=JustinW20;352368]................All of these characters have referenced their religions (at least briefly) in their comics. ..............QUOTE]

....................referenced thier religions (at least briefly) in their comics.

Sigh. "referenced"

OK just wait until the kids want a Betty Burka costume for Halloween.

We'll see how it turns out.

Along similar decay lines. Just a few days ago an NC judge ruled a nose ring was OK because the young girl was a member of the church of body modification - and NY schools are going to give Muslims their Ramadan day off.

After all they have Christian and Jewish Holidays. Oh, wait, Oh, wait. Christmas Vacation is now the Winter Holiday and Easter is Spring Break because of that pesky little wall between church and state.

So if the Ramadan Holiday will not be "religious" what will they call it? The "floating through the year holiday"? Or will the schools call it what it is? A religious holiday for Islam?

ZonieDiver
10-13-2010, 17:40
"Muslim Appreciation Day"???? :D

Though "Floating Holiday" does have a kind of educational ring to it!!!! :D

mark46th
10-13-2010, 17:49
A muslim cartoon I would like to see is "Mohammed Meets Itchy and Scratchy".

T-Rock
10-13-2010, 21:06
How will the 99 incorporate the “seven sleepers of Ephesus,” aka the “people of the cave,” into the series - that’s what I wanna know…. :D

Saoirse
10-13-2010, 21:26
[QUOTE=JustinW20;352368]................All of these characters have referenced their religions (at least briefly) in their comics. ..............QUOTE]

....................referenced thier religions (at least briefly) in their comics.

Sigh. "referenced"

OK just wait until the kids want a Betty Burka costume for Halloween.

We'll see how it turns out.

Along similar decay lines. Just a few days ago an NC judge ruled a nose ring was OK because the young girl was a member of the church of body modification - and NY schools are going to give Muslims their Ramadan day off.

After all they have Christian and Jewish Holidays. Oh, wait, Oh, wait. Christmas Vacation is now the Winter Holiday and Easter is Spring Break because of that pesky little wall between church and state.

So if the Ramadan Holiday will not be "religious" what will they call it? The "floating through the year holiday"? Or will the schools call it what it is? A religious holiday for Islam?

Pete, thanks for that. I was sitting around wondering what I was going to wear for halloween! You have a great idea! :D

Dozer523
10-13-2010, 21:35
NC judge ruled a nose ring was OK because the young girl was a member of the church of body modification - Okay, that's it. EVERYBODY out of the pool.

T-Rock
10-13-2010, 23:55
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYU3DZCepQ

^ The story appears to start with the Abbasid Caliphate and focuses heavily on mystical powers of meteorites.

Each of the 99 appear to posses and gain powers from their meteorite Noor Stone, similar to the Black Stone of Mecca which gives off sin cleansing power to those who kiss it :D

It doesn't go into detail which of the 99 gets to carry the “Black Stone” :confused:

rdret1
10-14-2010, 10:13
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYU3DZCepQ

^ The story appears to start with the Abbasid Caliphate and focuses heavily on mystical powers of meteorites.

Each of the 99 appear to posses and gain powers from their meteorite Noor Stone, similar to the Black Stone of Mecca which gives off sin cleansing power to those who kiss it :D

It doesn't go into detail which of the 99 gets to carry the “Black Stone” :confused:

It is not meteorites in the story. Go to the web site and read the comic and the character bios. The story is when Baghdad was being sacked in ancient times, all of the libraries and books were being destroyed. The librarians made "King's Water" and soaked several gems in it. This was supposed to allow the gems to absorb all of the knowledge and wisdom in the books. After the city and library were destroyed, the librarians took the stones away and built a huge repository. One of the "Guardians" tried to absorb all of the knowledge of the stones, turning himself into pure matter and destroying the repository. The other "Guardians" took the stones and hid them all over the world. The rest of the story is the stones are found, infusing the kids with special powers. The "Guardian" who was turned to matter is reincarnated as the "bad guy". Supposedly, some of the stones bearers are aligned with him and some are aligned with the "good guys".

T-Rock
10-14-2010, 17:02
It is not meteorites in the story.

If I weren’t color blind I would have used the pink font :D the parallel that came to mind regarding the 99 stones and their mystical powers reminded me of the meteorite in the Ka'ba for some reason :D

GratefulCitizen
10-14-2010, 18:06
FWIW, It has been a while since my days working for a software R&D lab in the digital cable industry and I am constrained by a dozen or so NDAs. I can say that since the 1990s, questions about who is showing what and when are they showing it are increasingly irrelevant.

In the age of "on demand," what matters most is the question "Who is watching?". This is to say it is all about the ratings.

My family was part of a pilot program back in the 80s.

The cable box had a modem and would make its calls about 0200 to upload what we had watched.
We also had a card which gave discounts while shopping (related to the cable box agreement).

The pilot program was to see the effectiveness of advertising/viewing patterns/etc.
In this day and age, collecting such data is trivial and multi-sourced (credit cards, discount cards, internet surfing, dvd rentals, television viewing patterns).

Many of the advertisments people now receive in the mail, email, pop-ups, etc., are specifically targeted to the individual.
They know all of the psychological buttons to push.

Ian Ayres wrote a pretty good book called Super Crunchers which addresses the power of such data collection.

Some other easy reads which address how we can all be easily manipulated for others' profit:
-Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
-Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
-Influence by Robert B. Cialdini

I don't worry too much about my kids exposure to mass media.

-Don't have cable/sattelite.
-Don't have internet at home.
-Don't have sattelite radio.
-There is no TV reception in this area of the nation.
-There are only a few radio stations that can get a signal into here.
-Those few stations either suck and/or broadcasts are in Navajo.
(actually heard rap music in Navajo on one of the stations...)
-Kids don't go to public school.

At the level of the individual family, problems with the effects of media upon children are voluntarily accepted.

rdret1
10-16-2010, 01:52
If I weren’t color blind I would have used the pink font :D the parallel that came to mind regarding the 99 stones and their mystical powers reminded me of the meteorite in the Ka'ba for some reason :D

Ok, you might need to explain that one to me. I have no idea what the Ka'ba is.

T-Rock
10-16-2010, 02:44
Ok, you might need to explain that one to me. I have no idea what the Ka'ba is.

The Ka’ba in Mecca, Circumambulating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6VHhkt3fAM

The Black Stone:
“…the Stone itself has supernatural powers. Some hold that it fell from the sky during the time of Adam and Eve, and that it has the power to cleanse worshippers of their sins by absorbing them into itself. They say that the Black Stone was once a pure and dazzling white and it has turned black because of the sins it has absorbed over the years…”

“…On the Day of Judgement, the Stone will testify before God (Allah) in favor of those who kissed it…”

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/saudi-arabia/mecca-kaba

http://www.crystalinks.com/blackstone.html

The following gets straight to the point and the first Arab must certainly have a fatwa:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGvSCNC1D8

http://www.answering-islam.org/Muhammad/Inconsistent/stone_kissing.html

:D :munchin

ETA

Shia have built Ka’ba’s in Iraq and Iran…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEO3UcSP_sA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUDw6J0G4c

Utah Bob
10-16-2010, 22:27
“…the Stone itself has supernatural powers. Some hold that it fell from the sky during the time of Adam and Eve, and that it has the power to cleanse worshippers of their sins by absorbing them into itself. They say that the Black Stone was once a pure and dazzling white and it has turned black because of the sins it has absorbed over the years…”

Or could be it just needs a good cleaning.:rolleyes:

rdret1
10-17-2010, 08:52
The Ka’ba in Mecca, Circumambulating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6VHhkt3fAM

The Black Stone:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/saudi-arabia/mecca-kaba

http://www.crystalinks.com/blackstone.html

The following gets straight to the point and the first Arab must certainly have a fatwa:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGvSCNC1D8

http://www.answering-islam.org/Muhammad/Inconsistent/stone_kissing.html

:D :munchin

ETA

Shia have built Ka’ba’s in Iraq and Iran…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEO3UcSP_sA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUDw6J0G4c

Thanks for that TRock. I see some of the parallels you were talking about. That was some interesting material. When I watched the first video, of the circumambulating, the first thought was idolatry. Then, the narrartor in the second video just layed it out. His explanations of an ancient sexually based religion and their inclusion in modern Islam were a little surprising.

Not understanding Arabic, I found the comments on the latter videos more interesting, especially one stating "I know the Shia are evil but is this real?" , talking about the mini-Ka'ba built supposedly in Iran. It is interesting that one Muslim is supposed to think of any other Muslim as a brother, yet the Shia and Sunni seem to be at polar opposites, or is my understanding flawed. Actually, I guess a good parallel would be the views of Catholics and Protestants a few hundred years ago.

T-Rock
10-17-2010, 21:36
Thanks for that TRock. I see some of the parallels you were talking about. That was some interesting material. When I watched the first video, of the circumambulating, the first thought was idolatry.

You're welcome Sir, the same thought crossed my mind too...

The similarities between the pagan rituals (star/stone worship) of the Harranians (Sabians) and the Mandaeans - performed at the City of Harran - which included praying five times a day as well as the ceremonial washing before each prayer, is virtually the same Islamic ritual as practiced by Muslims today.

Originally, the Quraish neglected the Ka'ba of Mecca and participated in the Hajj to the Ka'ba of Ta'if.

What's interesting as well, is the similarities between the Ka'ba of Mecca and the Ka'ba of Ta’if, or the Ka'ba of Ellat, also known as the Ka'ba of the Sun, which is significantly older than the Ka'ba of Mecca. The Arabs of Quraish, from which Muhammed came, venerated this Ka'ba. The Istar ( استار ) of the Ka'ba of Ellat (Ta'if), also covered sacred stones, similar to what is found at the Ka'ba of Mecca today.

The pre-Islamic Ka'ba of Ta'if (Ellat) had a large "Black Stone" containing mystical powers in which the people of Ta'if circled, just like the current day Ka'ba and "Black Stone" of Mecca...

There's something about the stones... :D

The following book gives great detail regarding magical "Black Stones" and other ancient rituals:
http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Light-History-Rafat-Amari/dp/0976502402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287371823&sr=8-1

Dozer523
10-18-2010, 22:16
(Reuters) - "The Simpsons" just got a blessing from the Vatican.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69H54K20101018

Nightfall
10-19-2010, 13:44
Peter Griffin from Family Guy is too, but I suspect that the Pope won't be issuing any sort of similar announcement concerning that show :)

T-Rock
07-16-2014, 15:05
Looks like the creator of "the 99" has a fatwa on his head...lol

ISIL calls for killing ‘The 99’ creator

KUWAIT: The creator of an Islam inspired popular comic series said that he takes death threats made by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Al-Qaeda seriously. Following their recent call to kill former MP Waleed Al-Tabtabaei, ISIL has called for killing psychiatrist Dr Nayef Al-Mutawa, the creator of ‘The 99’ series as they deemed it slanderous to Islam because it imitates the 99 names of Almighty Allah.

>. http://news.kuwaittimes.net/isil-calls-killing-99-creator/

Edited to add....

Keep in mind though....Lol......, Allah is the greatest of all deceivers....

Wamakaroo wamakara Allahu waAllahu khayru al-makireena!

Lol.

Qur'an 3:54—And they (the unbelievers) planned to deceive, and Allah planned to deceive (the unbelievers), and Allah is the best of deceivers.

Qur'an 7:99—Are they then safe from Allah's deception? No one feels safe from Allah's deception except those that shall perish.

Qur'an 8:30—And (remember) when the unbelievers plotted deception against you (O Muhammad), to imprison you, or kill you, or expel you. They plotted deception, but Allah also plotted deception; and Allah is the best of deceivers.

> http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Allah_the_Best_Deceiver