PDA

View Full Version : SF in PA?

Masochist
10-05-2010, 10:26
The Possible SF Company in AZ (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27894) thread got me thinking: why doesn't the PAARNG have any SF units?

Maybe some of the BTDTs can enlighten me as to the reason. Has there ever been a desire, either by the 19th/20th to place a unit there or by the state to have one? I know a half dozen prior 28th ID guys who have left the state for a shot at SF, and we've all wondered this as we would have liked to remain with the PA Guard.

swpa19
10-07-2010, 16:13
At one time there was a PAANG SF unit in Pa. It was activated 14 March 1960. It operated out of the old National Guard Armory on Saw Mill Run Blvd. Pgh, Pa and was designated Special Forces Operational Detachment 2347, and was part of the short lived 2d Special Forces Group. The 2d became or was integrated into the 11SFG(A) Reserve. Shortly after it became part of the 11th the detachment was moved to Youngstown, Ohio.

There are currently two units located in close proximity to SWPa. Both units of the 19th SFG(A)WVNG.

I dont think it would be logistically feasible to have another SF unit in between the two existing companies.

exsquid
10-10-2010, 00:40
And B/2/20 is just over the border in MD for those who live in eastern PA. If the PANG wants a unit, let me know & I will volunteer for the first E7 AGR slot they have.

x/S

Masochist
10-11-2010, 12:31
Thank you for the history lesson. With the density of SF units in the Northeast, I figured that factored into the equation. I'd also like to hear if there has been a desire by PA for a unit again, regardless of feasibility. I haven't been in touch with those high enough in the decision-making CoC to get an answer.

The Reaper
10-11-2010, 12:38
Thank you for the history lesson. With the density of SF units in the Northeast, I figured that factored into the equation. I'd also like to hear if there has been a desire by PA for a unit again, regardless of feasibility. I haven't been in touch with those high enough in the decision-making CoC to get an answer.

You could ask Governor Rendell, or his TAG. I doubt if many members here are privy to those decisions.

Why the curiosity, if you are not SF?

TR

Masochist
10-15-2010, 13:37
Having read posts on states that have had, currently have or are vying for SF assets, I did not see Pennsylvania mentioned and wondered if anyone knew the answer. I am always seeking information on military history, particularly about units I have served in.

Mr Furious
10-15-2010, 19:10
In the Guard it is all about strength…numbers. If PA could come to the table with significant existing numbers (MOSQ%) that outweighed the neighboring states, it could make a feasible pitch. That is all it would realistically be, a pitch. You would still need everyone’s buy-in and on board with the concept/pitch. The best case PA could hope for is a pitch for a remote ODA, just as KY tried to do. One of the line companies in 2/19 (B or C) would need to relinquish that ODA, and their respective states would need to be willing to lose strength. Lower overall strength and you have less technician and AGR billets, as well as less say at the NGB roundtable. Every warm body counts. I retired out of the 19th in Jun 05, but was kept on the books until Sep so they could report my body as a number…fact. I just don’t see a shift to PA happening.