PDA

View Full Version : 300 AAC Blackout

fng13
10-01-2010, 12:36
Thought some here might be interested.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/09/29/300-aac-blackout-new-caliber-new-mission/

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK-infosheet.pdf

new round that uses all standard m4 equipment other than barrel.

According to AAC, Remington is looking to mass produce the ammo to keep cost down for volume shooters.

Here is a video, pretty quiet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivPz-Z0wAw

DJ Urbanovsky
10-01-2010, 13:03
I am intrigued.

Wonder what ammo/component price/availability is, and would like to see more testing.

30 cal out of an AR with nothing but a barrel swap? I'm so there, although $495 for a 9" barrel does seem kinda pricey to me.

rubberneck
10-01-2010, 13:13
I am intrigued.

Wonder what ammo/component price/availability is, and would like to see more testing.

30 cal out of an AR with nothing but a barrel swap? I'm so there, although $495 for a 9" barrel does seem kinda pricey to me.

MSRP and actual price are two different animals. Since the only difference between a 5.56 gun and the 300 AAC is the barrel it is only a matter of time before quality aftermarket barrels hit the street at a price point well below $495, even faster if Remington actually supports the cartridge unlike the 6.8 SPC. As it is Noveske already makes a barrel chambered in the 300 Fireball and my understanding is the 300 AAC is essentially a SAMMI approved 300 Fireball.

JJ_BPK
10-01-2010, 13:53
SUPERSONIC: 970/821 RPM suppressed/unsuppressed
with 300 BLK ammo using Sierra 155 grain New Palma
MatchKing at 1776 fps.

Isn't this similar to the 134 year old 30-30 Winchester,,
And as mentioned, the 66 year old 7.62x39 Russian??

So far, I am not impressed..

If the future of CQB warfare is planned for a battle field in a closet,,
why not use the 44 mag in a 4 inch barrel??

AT least the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC are a little better at "reach out and touch someone"..

Who is the congressman or senator pushing this??

:munchin

fng13
10-01-2010, 15:17
Based one the links I posted and further reading on silencertalk.com it seems like the main purpose of this round was its impressive subsonic db levels, along with it being ballistically similar to 7.62x39, without the problems associated with adapting that round to the ar-15 platform.

Essentially I think this was to make a relatively quiet round that will work in the standard ar-15/m4 platform and still be a decent performer out of a short barrel. (I think they percieve the advantage is in adopting the whole package including their silencer, rather than just the round itself)

Agree though it seems that they just made .300 whisper a standard cartridge along with the ability to adapt it to this platform in the easiest way possible.

The Reaper
10-01-2010, 15:23
Agree though it seems that they just made .300 whisper a standard cartridge along with the ability to adapt it to this platform in the easiest way possible.

Ding ding ding!

Sounds to me like they took JD's idea and are trying to go mainstream with it.

The .300 Whisper is a good round, and you do not need the 7.62x51 case capacity if you are going to be using subsonic rounds.

TR

Box
07-26-2017, 17:18
Does anyone have any 1st-person trigger time on a 300 Blackout?

If a guy was going to get one with the intent of using it on hogs, what would be a good ammo/optic combination? Standard ammo - no plans or desire for a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Just looking for a "semi automatic 30-30"

Scope? Red dot?

Peregrino
07-26-2017, 21:37
Does anyone have any 1st-person trigger time on a 300 Blackout?

If a guy was going to get one with the intent of using it on hogs, what would be a good ammo/optic combination? Standard ammo - no plans or desire for a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Just looking for a "semi automatic 30-30"

Scope? Red dot?

Currently have a 1x6 Vortex Strike Eagle on mine. Had an AimPoint M3; wasn't as happy with it. Supersonic hunting ammo is 110 to 130 gr. ballistic tip; Barnes, Sierra, or Nosler. Holler if you want to "try before you buy".

frostfire
07-27-2017, 04:16
Based one the links I posted and further reading on silencertalk.com it seems like the main purpose of this round was its impressive subsonic db levels, along with it being ballistically similar to 7.62x39, without the problems associated with adapting that round to the ar-15 platform.

Essentially I think this was to make a relatively quiet round that will work in the standard ar-15/m4 platform and still be a decent performer out of a short barrel. (I think they percieve the advantage is in adopting the whole package including their silencer, rather than just the round itself)

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/11/18/762x39-vs-300-blackout/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0717

More comparison to murky the water:D

If you're not reloading, not stuck in AR platform, and not into psssshhhhh, you want to hunt with 7.62x39, Billy. Hornady SST and cheap Russian 8m3 comes to mind.

I must admit though that $499 Palmetto in .300 blackout is something special
Out of the box and smoother shooting, which is irrelevant in hunting shooting pace context

bblhead672
07-27-2017, 07:18
I must admit though that $499 Palmetto in .300 blackout

Do you have a link to this?

Box
07-27-2017, 07:23
I looked at the 7.62x39 version from the same company. The easy availability and low cost of surplus ammo is a really good selling point. A major downside is that it they are not super-reliable with M4 magazines.

I have a lower that needs a mate - I even looked (VERY briefly) at a 458-SOCOM. Upwards of 50 bucks for a 20 round box of ammo..... HA
300 Blackout is no more/less expensive than 30-30 or 7.62 NATO which is a good selling point to me. AK ammo is only "cheap" when it is the military surplus style steel case with berdan primers. Quality brass/boxer ammo for 7.62x39 costs the same as 300 Blackout.

I really really really did get pretty close to getting the 7.62x39 upper but the ammo/magazine combination pushed me over to the 300.
...now I need to find a sighting system so I don't have to shoot it like a shotgun.

I am almost certainly going to put a low power scope on the rifle - I am just not sure what I want to buy.

bblhead672
07-27-2017, 07:49
Do you have a link to this?

Never mind, found it...out of stock. :(

After reading a lot of reviews I've decided to get a .300 Blackout AR Pistol and a suppressor as home defense weapon. Not having to invest in different magazines than what I already have is nice benefit.

doctom54
07-27-2017, 07:57
Well if haven't all ready bought the upper you should look at the 7.62x40. It is the 5.56 trimmed back to 40 mm and open up to 7.62 so it is very reliable in the AR platform.
If you handload brass is cheap.
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/7-62x40-wt-rifles/

As for scopes the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 is an excellent one.

blue02hd
07-27-2017, 11:17
A great advantage of the 300 is it's versatility on the reloading bench. Data and components are plentiful thanks to the readily available 308 cal bullets on the market. 110 to 265 grains to tailor to both your supersonic and suppressed needs. The brass is a bit more finicky, and good quality brass is a must. I am finding out that not all brass is equal.

I personally love running sub rounds out of a 9mm can, saves me the 12+ month wait for a 30 Cal can. Not that I'm not waiting for water to boil, but still, a good 9mm can handle subsonic 300's.

Proof your magazines though. If you are running the heavier 220 grn bullets you might find your 5.56mm magazines protest. 220 grains can challenge mag's designed for a 55 grn especially if she has and 29 of her friends with her. Fortunately mag producers are strengthening the mag springs and designing 300 AAC specific mags.

Over all, I am glad I started to play with the 300 BO/ AAC.

As for sights, you know the deal. What range are you shooting for? A simple red dot could fit the bill. I have both a TR1 and a shorty EoTech that line up perfectly with my Troy Industry Diamond head sights.

The 300 BO World is your oyster,,,,

Peregrino
07-27-2017, 12:16
Vortex, Viper, PST Gen II, 1 x 6 w/VMR-2 Reticle (MRAD). Get it off of Experticity. (Or I'll sell you my Strike Eagle reasonable so I can justify getting one myself! :p) If you don't want to spend the bucks for a LaRue or Geissele mount, check out the Warne ones; they have cool colors and can withstand the abuse of 3-gun.

doctom54 makes a good recommendation WRT the Wilson 7.62 x 40. I may go ahead and build another upper in that caliber just for the fun of it. Bad news is - you'll have to get into handloading to realize max potential for either cartridge.

Magpul just announced the release of their dedicated 300BLK mags to address issues blue02hd discusses; I'll be grabbing a few to test shortly.

Team Sergeant
07-27-2017, 13:50
A great advantage of the 300 is it's versatility on the reloading bench. Data and components are plentiful thanks to the readily available 308 cal bullets on the market. 110 to 265 grains to tailor to both your supersonic and suppressed needs. The brass is a bit more finicky, and good quality brass is a must. I am finding out that not all brass is equal.
I personally love running sub rounds out of a 9mm can, saves me the 12+ month wait for a 30 Cal can. Not that I'm not waiting for water to boil, but still, a good 9mm can handle subsonic 300's.

Proof your magazines though. If you are running the heavier 220 grn bullets you might find your 5.56mm magazines protest. 220 grains can challenge mag's designed for a 55 grn especially if she has and 29 of her friends with her. Fortunately mag producers are strengthening the mag springs and designing 300 AAC specific mags.

Over all, I am glad I started to play with the 300 BO/ AAC.

As for sights, you know the deal. What range are you shooting for? A simple red dot could fit the bill. I have both a TR1 and a shorty EoTech that line up perfectly with my Troy Industry Diamond head sights.

The 300 BO World is your oyster,,,,

Did a lot of reading before making my reloading purchases and many here assisted, thanks again. I waited for months for Nosler to begin selling .300 WM brass again.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-brass/brass/shopby/f/cartridge/300%20Win%20Mag/isAjax/1.html

And from what I've read well worth the price.

Box, What ranges are you looking at while hunting pigs?

Box
07-28-2017, 14:01
Get it off of Experticity.

What's the secret to getting deals there?

Peregrino
07-28-2017, 16:37
PM enroute.

MR2
08-24-2017, 20:44
I've been running .300BLK for awhile. Two pistols, 14.5 P&W, and a 16". Two pistols just came back from first Cerakote and don't have the lights and RMRs on yet. Running a Vortex 1x6 Strike Eagle on the 16" carbine.

MagPul has come out with new mags specifically designed for the .300. New 5.56 mags often have little tits to help feed the bullets into the chamber. .300 bullets being fatter would often jam or double-feed. I run aluminum GI mags with my .300 and they work well. Some have SF engineered their 5.56 MagPuls by filing the tits down a tad and they work reliably well.

MR2
08-24-2017, 20:46
Found this

JJ_BPK
08-25-2017, 05:44
Could you explain the middle one with the folding grip & buffer?

Inquiring minds want to know??? :munchin

MR2
08-25-2017, 22:50
Could you explain the middle one with the folding grip & buffer?

Inquiring minds want to know??? :munchin

The two pistols have a LAW Tactical folding adapter and pistol buffer tube. Grips are FAB AGF-43S - pretty slick. Has a push knob to close and friction to extend. Discontinued because knob cuts into the web of the hand unless you dremel it down like I did.

G2squared
08-30-2017, 21:07
Before this get into a discussion on legalities, I'm an 02/07 SOT so can legally make dealer sample/demo machine guns and suppressors.

My experience is with 10.5" barrels in 300BO all with pistol length gas systems. I figure if the guys that developed it used that gas system length, there might be a good reason to use the same. 2 systems built were using a Dolos quick change barrel system with 10.5" 5.56 barrels with carbine length gas systems. A slick setup if that's what you're looking for. Both run fine without a suppressor and using super sonic ammo. Both also work fine with a suppressor and either subsonic ammo or super sonic ammo. What becomes questionably reliable in all of my builds, and apparently with most others, is using subsonic ammo without a suppressor. From what I've read it's a known issue and up to the user to select the combination needed for the desired results. I've done pistols and an SBR using the Troy PDW stock and all other parts were mil spec for 5.56. I like that they are all interchangeable other than barrels and suppressors. Though you can use a .30 or larger can for both 5.56 and 300. Just a matter of thread adapters.
I haven't had any issues yet with the 208gr bullets in PMAGs but don't doubt that it has happened.

As for ammo, be wary of reloads or reloaded brass, converted from that found out on the range. Even from what you might consider reputable companies. One barrel I sold had a disappointed customer because it wasn't extracting cases. So I brought some of my factory fresh SIG manf from new 300 BO cases. No problems. Further inspection of the cases from his ammo showed flattened out primers and case rims being torn by the extractor claw and scratches full length of the cases. And then I saw the head stamp of .223. That was the problem.

Short history for those that don't know. 300BO was designed to be able to use a 5.56 case necked out to .30. It has thicker walls than the .223 cases so it can handle higher pressures of the military round. The extra wall thickness allows for the expansion of the neck and also the pressure of the 300 trying to get a heavy bullet out of the barrel. In this instance the .223 case was over pressurizing and swelling in the chamber, along with all the other issues, and not extracting the empty case.
So if using reloads from someone else, or doing it yourself, I strongly recommend ensuring you have only 300BO cases as original manufacture or modified 5.56 case.

As for shooting, it's a lot of fun! The short barrels swing easy and recoil is light. Suppressed is a moment of bliss. I used a .30 Sandstorm and it was super quiet (that's a technical term). I don't have fancy equipment but video with my iPhone didn't have any issues picking it up without blanking out the audio. I don't have permission of the person shooting it to post it so won't be sharing. I haven't yet done accuracy testing just functionality so I can't tell if I'm looking at a 1 MOA or 6 MOA setup yet and haven't gotten reliable feedback from customers yet.

When considering optics with BDC (bullet drop compensators) think about 7.62X39 reticles. The drops are about the same generally speaking. But realize that varying the muzzle velocity and bullet weight will cause a need for using some hold over/under or dialed-in elevation adjustments if you are looking for a precision shot.

g