PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Bragg doesn't bow to bullies!

Saoirse
10-01-2010, 10:45
I hope we don't have to hear about how this soldier and that soldier wasn't given a choice on attending.
Wish I could have been there for this. Anyone know the turn out?

Fort Bragg in North Carolina proceeded with its plans to host a Christian concert, even after coming under fire from enemies in its own homeland.

Despite objections from national groups like Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) and the Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) -- which sent a letter to Secretary of the Army John McHugh, alleging the event violates the Constitution -- a Christian rally open to the public went ahead as planned at Fort Bragg on Saturday, September 25.

Former U.S. Navy Chaplain Gordan James Klingenschmitt with PrayInJesusName.org contends that inviting singers to minister to Christian soldiers and their families does not violate separation of church and state policies.

"Americans United for Separation of Church and State hates chaplains [and] hates it when our soldiers act like Christians, or even [when they] want to worship Jesus Christ," Klingenschmitt laments. "So they're throwing a fit and saying this Christian group should be disinvited from the Army post."

He believes the FFRF and AU's leader, Barry Lynn, disrespect the U.S. Constitution through their actions.

"The Supreme Court has already ruled our troops have a right to religious accommodation -- that's why we have chaplains," the former Navy chaplain points out. "It's mandatory that the government has to provide for their free exercise of religion; and in this case, Barry Lynn wants all of the soldiers to be atheists. So I'm very disappointed in him."

"Rock the Fort," which is organized by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and held at military bases around the country, offers Christian music, speakers, and other activities. But AU's main concern with this event was that for the first time, it was open to the public.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=1189314

This article was from a week ago, a day prior to the concert:

Group protests Christian concert at Fort Bragg
Associated Press - 9/24/2010 7:05:00 AM
RALEIGH, NC - Americans United for Separation of Church and State is calling for the cancellation of a Christian event this weekend at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Americans United says the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's "Rock the Fort" concert featuring Hawk Nelson and Jason Crabb improperly enlists the military to make converts to Christianity.
The Billy Graham organization says such concerts are common at military bases.

Saturday's event also will be open to civilians. A letter was sent from the Fort Bragg chaplain's office to surrounding churches, asking local ministers for help with the event.

Americans United wants the event canceled, and wants the Army to drop any association with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

So, not only are our soldiers busy fighting a war and training, they are also out spreading the Word and gaining converts? That is news to me!

Pete
10-01-2010, 11:09
.....Had a great time. Only probem was it was scheduled the same weekend as the International Folk Fest. I opted for the Folk Fest because of the food.

If you'll get out of your house there are plenty of interesting things to do and go to in town and Ft Bragg.

The Gilbert Theater is running the Rocky Horror Picture Show (Play).

Saoirse
10-01-2010, 12:07
.....Had a great time. Only probem was it was scheduled the same weekend as the International Folk Fest. I opted for the Folk Fest because of the food.

If you'll get out of your house there are plenty of interesting things to do and go to in town and Ft Bragg.

The Gilbert Theater is running the Rocky Horror Picture Show (Play).

Pete, when I lived in Fville, I did do a lot of activities. Now I live in CO. But I am a bit bummed that I missed the concert!!! I hope it was successful!

greenberetTFS
10-01-2010, 12:17
Pete, when I lived in Fville, I did do a lot of activities. Now I live in CO. But I am a bit bummed that I missed the concert!!! I hope it was successful!

My only regret was that I wasn't able to attend............;)

Big Teddy :munchin

rdret1
10-01-2010, 19:14
Its good to see the Bragg chain of command refuses to kow tow to these knuckleheads. They wouldn't say a thing about a ZZ Top concert, why should they care about any other type of concert?