PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor recipient's family turned away at White House

JJ_BPK
09-30-2010, 13:27
This may not get to your neighborhood paper...

Medal of Honor recipient's family turned away at White House
by Associated Press
KTVB.COM
Posted on September 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Family of Medal of Honor recipient Vernon Baker was denied access to the White House's West Wing on Saturday, a day after the World War II hero was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Baker's widow, Heidy, and grandson, Vernon Pawlik, 10, were denied entry because the boy was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. His shirt had a picture of his grandfather on it.

A White House Web site doesn't list a dress code, but the family had been invited to tour the West Wing, which houses the president's office and where casual dress is prohibited.

U.S. Rep. Walt Minnick's office says he's contacted the White House to express his disappointment.

Vernon Baker, of St. Maries, Idaho, was the last living black World War II Medal of Honor winner.

The White House didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Medal-of-Honor-recipients-family-turned-away-at-White-House-104032604.html

Red Flag 1
09-30-2010, 14:03
This White House just can't get it together can they. It is sad to learn that this eletist behavior continues, to the degree that it does:mad:.

Thanks for posting this JJ.

RF 1

ZonieDiver
09-30-2010, 14:10
However, if they had a "reality" show and just happened to appear at the WH, they probably would have been allowed to enter... if they were dressed appropriately.

Andrew Jackson is turning over in his grave!

greenberetTFS
09-30-2010, 14:12
This is sad but not surprising considering who are POTUS is...........:mad: I know damn sure our last POTUS would not have let this happen..........:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

echoes
09-30-2010, 14:14
This may not get to your neighborhood paper...

Stupid dumb SOB's at the White House need a lesson or two on Our Country's History, and why All gave some, but some gave All.

"Denied Entry," What a load of crap!!!!:mad:

Holly

EDIT to Add: The SOB refference in this post is referring to the folks that denied entry, not to the POTUS.

Todd 1
09-30-2010, 14:24
Baker's widow, Heidy, and grandson, Vernon Pawlik, 10, were denied entry because the boy was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. His shirt had a picture of his grandfather on it.

WTF, a kid can't wear a tee-shirt of his war hero grandpa :mad::mad::mad: Pathetic

White House dress code czar to Vernon Pawlik: "Don't worry son, put this on and you'll be good to go."

dennisw
09-30-2010, 14:36
I wonder what would have happened if the kid was wearing this t-shirt?

echoes
09-30-2010, 14:53

I know, You know, and all of the smart people left in the USA know. It is just sickening to think about, all the way around this! Some folks may choose to bury their heads in the sadn, and not think twice about this little incident.

But to me, it forecasts the Agenda of the current Administration, and no, am not drinking the kool-aid...This is a sign of things....to come.:eek::(

Holly

Richard
09-30-2010, 15:54
The staffer who was to lead the family wasn't sure whether 10-year-old Vernon Pawlik's attire — shorts and a T-shirt bearing a picture of the boy's grandfather — was considered appropriate, officials said. Another winner of the military's top award, Thomas Norris, also was turned away because he was not previously cleared for the tour.

Mr. Norris and the Baker family had turned down a previously arranged East Wing tour for the more exclusive visit to the West Wing.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/sep/30/veterans-family-denied-white-house-tour-because-sh/

Certainly sounds as if PVT Murphy is alive and well among the lower echelons of the White House staff. :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

Oldrotorhead
09-30-2010, 16:08

I hope the kid had more taste.
SOMEONE in the White House should pay for that kid to return to the White House for a personal tour. I'm sure one of those rich people in the White House would not charge the tax payers, but would pay for the trip himself if RuePaul, sorry Muchelle let him. :D

ZonieDiver
09-30-2010, 16:17
For me, the fact that this happened makes turning them away even more sad.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=343328&highlight=medal+honor+widow+world+war#post343328

Widow of Medal of Honor recipient can't afford to attend Arlington burial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Widow-of-Me...100447779.html

Quote:
Vernon Baker died at his St. Maries home in July and will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1941, served and was wounded in World War II. Vernon was 90 years old.

But Baker's wife of the last 17 years, Heidy Baker, can't afford to attend the burial of her own husband's ashes

I guess honoring an MOH awardee and his family is to expensive but the FLOTUS can jet set her way around the world.

Blue

echoes
09-30-2010, 16:34
For me, the fact that this happened makes turning them away even more sad.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=343328&highlight=medal+honor+widow+world+war#post343328

That is just...wrong.:(

Holly

Saoirse
09-30-2010, 16:39
I thought it was a shame that Mrs. Baker couldn't afford to pay to fly out to Arlington. I thought it was a shame that the WH treated her and your grandson the way they did. But....surprised, I was not.
I am just glad that her community came together to help her out and provide her the ability to attend the burial in Arlington. What good people there must be in St. Maries, ID. Their help and sense of community is a great example of what Americans are all about!
This behavior (from the WH), all the way around, shows that what is in our WH is not representative of us as Americans. It is an example of the darkest pits of humankind...not the best of humankind or of what America is truly about. I am sure if Pres. Bush had been there, this incident would not have happened.

Gypsy
09-30-2010, 17:10
Ridiculous, it wasn't a formal event..."dress code" be damned. The kid is 10, what's he supposed to do...wear a suit? :rolleyes:

NoTime89
09-30-2010, 17:12
These are a huge hit over in China right now.

My brother thinks it says "Hope is for the People"...

T-Rock
09-30-2010, 22:22
Another winner of the military's top award, Thomas Norris, also was turned away because he was not previously cleared for the tour.

Unbelievable :mad: the inmates are running the asylum :mad:

Whodathunkit, Thomas Norris, a retired FBI agent and Medal of Honor winner, denied entry into the White House, yet Hatem Abudayyeh, who is under investigation for providing material support to Hamas, gets full access...

Norris - Thornton interview:
http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/events/2006/11-09-thornton-norris.jsp

drymartini66
09-30-2010, 22:33
Screw those criminals in the WH. The kid and his family don't need to associate with such low class cowards. :mad:

SouthernDZ
10-01-2010, 04:03
This story aired this morning on Fox and Friends.:)

rdret1
10-01-2010, 08:29
It is too bad they did not publish the name of the offending WH aide. Who is supposed to be training these folks? The White House and every building and office there belong to the citizens of this country. The people in them are only tenants! They need to be reminded of that.

echoes
10-01-2010, 16:23
Screw those criminals in the WH. The kid and his family don't need to associate with such low class cowards. :mad:

Agree 110%. Do Not Mess with America's Veterans!!!:mad:

We civilians, (including you, Big O,) are here living FREE, because of THEM!!!

Holly

Dozer523
10-01-2010, 17:45
Ridiculous, it wasn't a formal event..."dress code" be damned. The kid is 10, what's he supposed to do...wear a suit? :rolleyes: Well . . . to the funeral of the last African American Medal of Honor recipient (and beloved Grandfather) . . . woulda been nice instead of shorts and tennies (I'll give momma or grandma some points for at least getting him a tie).

Could we get a GRIP? I'm all for bashing the Nobel Peace Prize winner when it's deserved but WTF? Was Vernon Sr re-incarnated in the little boy?
Little Vernon doesn't rate an exception to the rules . . . probably Grandpa would have rated one but I'll bet MOH Vernon owned a freakin polo shirt. FCOL Little Dude owes a suit! (and if I croak, he better be in it.) Note to WH staff: Fancy-smancy restaurants have loaner jackets and ties -- get some.

You're tryin to hard. (Reminds me reports of all those foreign leaders who were refusing to shake POTUS' hand) And btw POTUS ain't spelled SOB. Vote him out if you want, but at least show some respect for the office.

Goof off for a week, come back have 3 pages of new posts to plow through and I find this. You guys (and gals) sound like the script writers for the Colbert Report.

drymartini66
10-01-2010, 17:52
Well, I guess he could have worn one of those t-shirts with a tuxedo printed on it.:D

Dozer523
10-01-2010, 19:49
Well, I guess he could have worn one of those t-shirts with a tuxedo printed on it.:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's good.

drymartini66
10-01-2010, 20:16
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's good.

Thanks Dozer523. I try to lighten it up a bit.:D:munchin

echoes
10-02-2010, 12:35
Of Course, they HAD to draw a comparison to the just plain ol' evil GWB!: Makes Them look better....:rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101001/pl_yblog_upshot/white-house-apologizes-for-turning-away-war-heros-family-over-dress-code

Utah Bob
10-02-2010, 22:15
Outrageous. I have it on good authority that you can buy Che Guevara T shirts in the WH gift shop.;)

12B4S
10-09-2010, 23:05
This WH is worse than the clinton admin. (NO...I won't Cap the names. ) barry makes the clinton admin look like he almost gave a damn about this Country. obarry despises it. At least while it is not in his image. (Political posturing)

Two images come to mind, above having to live through his crap. The 50th anniversary of D-day. While billy the zipper was walking the beach. A battle ship positioned out on the horizon. (Wonder who ordered that ship to be there for that photo op????) I'll be damned if bubba doesn`t come across a small pile of WHITE stones (it's a contrast thing). Stones that didn`t exist on that beach then or now. So for the sheeple, he squats and makes a Cross for the fallen. Of course they buy it...

Ok. Tired of typing, I`ll kind of breeze through his visit to the DMZ between north and South Korea, looking through binoculars. Thing is he never took off the lens covers. But.... hey. he cared.....

For those of you are young and/or haven`t seen this thread...check it out.....

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655

trvlr
10-10-2010, 02:12
Are we all sure that if former President Bush was in charge "this would never have happened"?

He would have trained all of the Aides himself? It's a failure at many levels but does it really rate blame on the current President? Should I ask more rhetorical questions to point out how wild some of this thread's comments are? :munchin

blue02hd
10-10-2010, 03:09
Are we all sure that if former President Bush was in charge "this would never have happened"?

He would have trained all of the Aides himself? It's a failure at many levels but does it really rate blame on the current President? Should I ask more rhetorical questions to point out how wild some of this thread's comments are? :munchin

Who are you to dictate what is "wild " or inappropriate to post here? You are a guest, act accordingly. If you do not agree with comments then say so, but your rhetorical questions only demonstrate your inability to communicate your true intent. Your lacking in SA, and walking blindly into a mine field.

I look forward to reading your answer to question number 1.

greenberetTFS
10-10-2010, 05:42
Well . . . to the funeral of the last African American Medal of Honor recipient (and beloved Grandfather) . . . woulda been nice instead of shorts and tennies (I'll give momma or grandma some points for at least getting him a tie).

Could we get a GRIP? I'm all for bashing the Nobel Peace Prize winner when it's deserved but WTF? Was Vernon Sr re-incarnated in the little boy?
Little Vernon doesn't rate an exception to the rules . . . probably Grandpa would have rated one but I'll bet MOH Vernon owned a freakin polo shirt. FCOL Little Dude owes a suit! (and if I croak, he better be in it.) Note to WH staff: Fancy-smancy restaurants have loaner jackets and ties -- get some.

You're tryin to hard. (Reminds me reports of all those foreign leaders who were refusing to shake POTUS' hand) And btw POTUS ain't spelled SOB. Vote him out if you want, but at least show some respect for the office.

Goof off for a week, come back have 3 pages of new posts to plow through and I find this. You guys (and gals) sound like the script writers for the Colbert Report.

Dozer,

Your points are well taken,but I believe that the medal they wore around their necks gave them preference to whatever they wished to wear during their attempted visit.......:confused: No disrespect to you,but I'm sure if you had an "MOH" and they refused to let you and little dude in,you would have been pissed also.........:mad: Be honest..........:(

Big Teddy :munchin

Pete
10-10-2010, 05:57
Are we all sure that if former President Bush was in charge "this would never have happened"?...........

There are plenty of threads posted on this board on how Bush treated - and still treats - military and common folks.

If you are going to continue to make such comments then you had better start including links to stories that back up your position.

So your first homework assignment here is to find a link to a story that backs up your position as stated above - any story where a visitor or guest was treated poorly by the Bush family while in the White House. Like taking a Head of State out the back door past the trash or leaving a Head of State to go eat with the family then come back.

trvlr
10-10-2010, 09:32
Who are you to dictate what is "wild " or inappropriate to post here?

I didn't dictate anything. It was my opinion that some of the comments showed a lack of understanding of how the White House works, and called them 'wild' because of that.

This same type of thing happened when former President Bush was in office. At a certain point (post 04-05' time frame) almost any negative thing that happened in the White House or with policy was blamed on him being "an idiot." The same monkey photo styles that some of the right is using for Obama now were being used to caricature then President Bush by some from the left, no matter how far removed he was from the event.

I quickly grew tired of everyone to the left of moderate slinging usually baseless mud. It seems like the same thing is starting here. Though I cannot prove it, I highly doubt that the current President changed the dress code for entrance, rewrote the SOP on military burials, and personally oversaw who was allowed to enter the Whitehouse via exception.

So your first homework assignment here is to find a link to a story that backs up your position as stated above - any story where a visitor or guest was treated poorly by the Bush family while in the White House.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6637549.stm

Granted, this was not a big deal as leading a Head of State "by past the trash" but that didn't stop them from saying, "the US media has been full of stories about how the president was being coached on etiquette and protocol to try to prevent him placing one of his hand-tooled Texan cowboy boots in his mouth."

What am I supposed to take from that? He's from Texas so he must be an idiot? It's not a logical argument but it gets made anyway. I didn't think it was right for millions to do it to President Bush, and I don't think it's right for people to do it to President Obama now.

Your lacking in SA, and walking blindly into a mine field. .

I've been on the site for a little while now and can see the general trends. I have seen hundreds of threads where rhetorical questions are used to illustrate points. I have also seen that on threads like these, points like the one I am trying to make are rarely made. Maybe this ->:munchin was too much, but I plan on continuing to add my opinion unless the forum gods strike me down. :)

Pete
10-10-2010, 09:51
......I've been on the site for a little while now and can see the general trends. I have seen hundreds of threads where rhetorical questions are used to illustrate points...........

And so far you are failing at your's.

When Bush was President any small mistake was pounded to death by the press - after all he was a dunce.

Now that Obama is the President nothing is his fault. It's all the fault of others around him. Two years since his election and he's still blaming Bush.

trvlr
10-10-2010, 09:53
When Bush was President any small mistake was pounded to death by the press - after all he was a dunce.

Now that Obama is the President nothing is his fault. It's all the fault of others around him. Two years since his election and he's still blaming Bush.

True statements. I agree.

dennisw
10-10-2010, 10:56
It was my opinion that some of the comments showed a lack of understanding of how the White House works, and called them 'wild' because of that.

I don't believe it is a lack of understanding of the White House protocol, it's the current administration's lack of leadership. I'm sure these kinds of problems arise all the time. Lower level staff then elevate the problem and a solution is provided. "Let's provide a shirt or jacket. Prior MOH awardee was not on list, let's amend the list so he can attend." The fact that the resolution for the problems was to not admit these folks is clearly a sign of poor leadership.

blue02hd
10-10-2010, 11:01
The story you linked focuses on "Gaffes" by the President, not poor treatment. In no way shape or form does that come close to rude or negligent behavior. Comparing a bad one liner to the denial of a MOH recipient isn't even close. Can you do any better than this? Also, sourcing a UK editorial isn't exactly what I would say is credible.

Shot Over,,

The Reaper
10-10-2010, 11:02
I know that he has no military background, but is the Commander in Chief responsible for everything that is done, or fails to get done? Who selected his staff? The Bush Adminstration?

Where should the buck stop? Seems to me like the mainstream media has been parrotting the blame Bush mantra and giving the current Administration a pass since they took office.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

trvlr
10-10-2010, 11:24
Comparing a bad one liner to the denial of a MOH recipient isn't even close. Can you do any better than this?

Negative.

I agree with all the comments regarding the double standard. I also think that President Bush had the most military friendly administration of recent history.

It's a shame that this happened and hopefully the White House will learn a lesson from it.

akv
10-10-2010, 12:20
George Bush's conduct toward our armed forces has consistently demonstrated compassion and gratitude for their service. His continuing support after leaving office, as evidenced at Ft. Hood and work with the Gold Star Mom's, are insights into his character and grasp of the magnitude and responsibility held by those who have occupied the Office of the President.

IMHO, it is a disgrace to turn away the family of a CMOH recipient from an invited WH ceremony. IIRC it was President Truman who said he would rather have the CMOH than be President of the United States. Even though I don't think they should have been turned away, most folks would feel a suit is appropriate attire for a young man at a wedding or a funeral. Obama is a temporary resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Out of respect for the sanctity of the CMOH, the Office of the President, and our White House, such a ceremony warrants dress attire regardless of our views on the current occupant of the Oval Office.

dennisw
10-10-2010, 13:30
Out of respect for the sanctity of the CMOH, the Office of the President, and our White House, such a ceremony warrants dress attire regardless of our views on the current occupant of the Oval Office.

You are absolutely correct. However, wasn't this family the one who could not afford to travel to the ceremony until someone assisted them? I know it it inconceivable to many that a family could not or cannot afford to purchase a suit, etc. If they could not afford to travel to the White House, it's highly likely they could not afford a suit for the grandson. If they could afford it and chose not to dress in respectable attire, then they did not use good judgement. If they could not afford the appropriate attire, then appropriate attire should have been provided.

If the family of a man who was awarded the MOH cannot afford a trip to Washington or a new suit, we are a scandalous nation not deserving of the men and women who displayed such courage on our behalf.

Bradmi
10-11-2010, 02:50
Every establishment I've ever dealt with that had a dress code keeps extra clothing around in case something like this happens. I think the White House Aide needs to think beyond the rules and figure out a way to get the people situated.

rdret1
10-11-2010, 06:56
You are absolutely correct. However, wasn't this family the one who could not afford to travel to the ceremony until someone assisted them? I know it it inconceivable to many that a family could not or cannot afford to purchase a suit, etc. If they could not afford to travel to the White House, it's highly likely they could not afford a suit for the grandson. If they could afford it and chose not to dress in respectable attire, then they did not use good judgement. If they could not afford the appropriate attire, then appropriate attire should have been provided.

If the family of a man who was awarded the MOH cannot afford a trip to Washington or a new suit, we are a scandalous nation not deserving of the men and women who displayed such courage on our behalf.

Excellent point! The fact that it was the family of the man receiving the highest honor our nation has to give is what makes it such a mistake. Everything possible should have been done to accomodate this family. If a certain dress was required, it should have been provided if the family could not provide it.

Saoirse
10-11-2010, 09:39

Dennis, you make an excellent point! Especially the one I highlighted. I have a friend who is a CMoH recipient for his heroic actions in Vietnam. Because of his injuries there and after saving the life of a little girl that was almost run over, he cannot work like most of us. The money he receives from the VA was barely enough to get by, now it is nothing in this econmy. However, by the grace of God and the help of others, he is now a motivational speaker and travels the country. He is the most humble man I have ever met. When I met him, I was shocked and appalled that as such a great hero, there was not some sort of monetary award (I was rather young and naive then).

Green Light
10-11-2010, 17:09
Now I know how all of you "O's" are sworn to defend his majesty no matter what but come on, this guy? He's like a bad B movie from the fifties.

Never mind. :mad:

Reaper411
10-11-2010, 17:43
While on an OP, I gave up my fleece for the night to a local kid who was hanging around. It was extremely cold and he had only a long sleeve shirt, pants and sandals. I would expect the WH staff to be of a caliber which is able to think outside the box. Guess not.

Razor
10-12-2010, 14:49
Now I know how all of you "O's" are sworn to defend his majesty no matter what but come on, this guy?

Respectfully, brother, I think you've forgotten part of the oath of enlistment you took:

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States (emphasis mine) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

BREAK-BREAK

Given the generally casual nature of dress the current administration has seemed to adopt in executing their daily responsibilities, turning away the family for the stated reason seems rather hypocritical of the admin staff.

echoes
10-12-2010, 15:04
Given the generally casual nature of dress the current administration has seemed to adopt in executing their daily responsibilities, turning away the family for the stated reason seems rather hypocritical of the admin staff.

Very well said, IMVHO, SIR!!!!!!!:munchin

Holly

blue02hd
10-12-2010, 20:08
Now that I read that statement it brings everything into focus. :boohoo

I guess the reason that I never understood the circle of life in the system is because I was inebriated each time I "So help me God'd". :o

I am thankful that it doesn't require my respect. :p

I am thankful that you do not require mine.

An "O"

Penn
10-12-2010, 20:19
Touche' Blue

bluebb
11-03-2010, 17:55
Amends made? Somebody pulled their head out of their forth point of contact it appears.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/hbo/2010/nov/02/white-house-treats-baker-family/

Blue