PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the athletes.

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 08:31
I saw a comment on another site about the opening ceremonies. Due to the nature of that board if I were to reply as I am about to I would be immediately marched to the wall and shot.

I didn't watch but I understand that NBC commentators said that the cheers for the US Team were for the athletes and not the government. Although IMO the commentators were out of line in making such a statement, the statement, itself, was probably and hopefully true. Politics should have no place in the games. It should be about athletes, many of whom are there from small nations and are there just to compete asgainst the best athletes in the world.

It probably happened before but the first I recall is the attempt of Hitler to use the Olympics to promote his super-race. Most third world athletes were lost in the mire of the vicarious war between us and the Soviet Union and Communist China. National pride is good and I knotted up hearing our National Anthem being played at the medal presentations. But blatant politics has no place in the Games.

Give the Games back to the players!:munchin

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 11:22
Unfortunatly the Olympics will always be a political platform.

Just as you said about Hitler at the '36 Olympics, in '68 in Mexico City, those two American runners (I forget their names), who were "Black Panthers" and their "Black Glove" salute they gave on the medels platform while the National anthem was played .

Also our boycotting the '80 Moscow games, and they returning the favor by boycotting the '84 L.A. games (na-na na-na boo-boo- my dad can beat up your dad). The games will always be used in a political platform, because of the world wide audience.

Let's also not forget the '72 Munich games. RIP :(

brewmonkey
08-15-2004, 11:28
More then politics seem to be rearing their ugly heads this year. The Iranian judo champ is refusing to compete against the Israeli champ.

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/judo/news?slug=reu-iranjudoscandal&prov=reuters&type=lgns

But I do agree, this is not about politics. This should be about the atheletes that have earned the right to compete in the games. Many years of dedication and hard work for them and they should be recognized for that, even if they do not go home with a medal.