PDA

View Full Version : OP RESTREPO

JoelBlack
09-23-2010, 01:07
Restrepo is out in theaters, but unfortunately it may not be near you. Select theaters only. Seems like great Documentary footage.

(from website: restrepothemovie.com)
RESTREPO is a feature-length documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley. The movie focuses on a remote 15-man outpost, "Restrepo," named after a platoon medic who was killed in action. It was considered one of the most dangerous postings in the U.S. military. This is an entirely experiential film: the cameras never leave the valley; there are no interviews with generals or diplomats. The only goal is to make viewers feel as if they have just been through a 90-minute deployment. This is war, full stop. The conclusions are up to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZmJ9iYWx5o&feature=player_embedded

JJ_BPK
09-23-2010, 04:50
It will be interesting to see if the left anti-war crowd makes this their rally point.

This newsweek article, presumingly by the same that created the video, has a decidedly left lean...

http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/04/30/war-afghanistan-korengal-valley.html

It's been tried before..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTp810Ycqj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Y0ekr-3So

What goes around, comes around,,, Again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svfr7KiBL3o

:munchin

steel_eel
09-23-2010, 04:56
I saw it last night.
All/most interactions with the locals (caught on film) were on some kind of bad terms. Other than that, it was pretty neutral.
I thought it was well done, but not so good that I would go see it again.

Fonzy
10-31-2010, 14:07
Don't know how I've missed this, but here's a link to the official page.

http://restrepothemoviea.com/

Kyobanim
10-31-2010, 15:38
LMAO at this one. The guy is so serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj9jhg9-djU&feature=related

Saturation
11-28-2010, 07:25
If anyone has not seen the documentary, Restrepo, it will now be available through National Geographic Channel, 9 p.m. EST on Monday November 29, 2010.

Gypsy
11-28-2010, 12:17
Thank you, Saturation.

Saoirse
11-29-2010, 18:54
If anyone has not seen the documentary, Restrepo, it will now be available through National Geographic Channel, 9 p.m. EST on Monday November 29, 2010.

Just a reminder to all who are interested.

Ghost02
11-29-2010, 19:06
Also, if anyone has comcast, it is 'on demand'

I watched it and found it very interesting, it captured the tedium that I heard is abundant there. It also had a feeling of futility though. I would recommend the movie.

Jgood
11-29-2010, 19:10
Graduated the Q course with a guy in the movie....Its on demand on time warner also

Nightflyer
11-29-2010, 19:27
Hi, Warrior Mentors,

I can't wait to see the documentary tonight, I've been waiting patiently since july to see it. My battle buddy's sat around to watch it last summer and said it was one of the best documentry they've ever seen, everybody's talking about Restrepo and the Korengal Valley. "Go 173rd Airborne Infantry and thank you Soldiers for you're courage and leadership.

Night

ProdigalSon
11-29-2010, 20:11
Chicago doesn't get the NG channel, go Here (http://tvweb360.com/). Look on the left column for "Educational" and find the NG channel.

Atomsk
11-30-2010, 10:55
Is there any word on the doc. airing again? I checked the NG schedule for the next week but no joy.

Masochist
11-30-2010, 11:52
No word. The VA sent out an informative email this morning stating that NG would be showing it ... yesterday. Nothing like timeliness. :rolleyes:

For those with Netflix, it is supposed to start shipping as of 07DEC, as well as streaming on the same day.

TrapLine
11-30-2010, 12:00
I caught part of the earlier showing last night and was able to DVR the later one for future viewing. It is always amazing to see the dedication and courage of those in harms way. Thank you.

perdurabo
11-30-2010, 12:11
It will be interesting to see if the left anti-war crowd makes this their rally point.

This newsweek article, presumingly by the same that created the video, has a decidedly left lean...

http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/04/30/war-afghanistan-korengal-valley.html

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty neutral.

War is ugly, the viewer is going to paint their own picture based on their preconceived notions and values, regardless. Due to mine, I sympathized with the soldiers more. They represented the Army well, imho. CPT K lost his cool a lot with the elders, but I can't imagine the quarrels and BS he had to deal with. As a newish dad, the bloodied up kids really got to me in a way they wouldn't have before.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-30-2010, 14:14
I watched it last night on NG. I did enjoy the interaction in the Platoon and young soldiers being soldiers. I thought it did capture that angle pretty good.

Yes, the interaction with the locals wasn't too good. I wonder why they wouldn't pay for the Cow that got in the wire. To me $50.00 bucks for the cow, would be worth it if it made for better relations with the populace.

Of course, the accidental casualties among the populace by air strikes didn't help with the relations with the populace either.

I feel sorry for the people there, if they fail to cooperate with the Taliban, they face grim consequences and if they do the same from NATO forces. (Typical for this type of warfare.)

I also ordered the DVD of Restrepo from NG. (Long before last night's showing.)

Gypsy
11-30-2010, 18:13
Chicago doesn't get the NG channel, go Here (http://tvweb360.com/). Look on the left column for "Educational" and find the NG channel.

The 'burbs do. :p

Comcast has it "on demand".

ABN_FO
12-01-2010, 09:13
I watched it last night on NG. I did enjoy the interaction in the Platoon and young soldiers being soldiers. I thought it did capture that angle pretty good.

Yes, the interaction with the locals wasn't too good. I wonder why they wouldn't pay for the Cow that got in the wire. To me $50.00 bucks for the cow, would be worth it if it made for better relations with the populace.

Of course, the accidental casualties among the populace by air strikes didn't help with the relations with the populace either.

I feel sorry for the people there, if they fail to cooperate with the Taliban, they face grim consequences and if they do the same from NATO forces. (Typical for this type of warfare.)

I also ordered the DVD of Restrepo from NG. (Long before last night's showing.)

IIRC the Locals wanted 500.00 USD for the cow and still it would have been worth it. They did kill it, even though it was caught in the wire and the killing was done to spare the animal anymore suffering. 500 USD isn't a drop in the bucket to what is being spent in Iraq or Afghanistan for things that make less sense. Paying for the livestock could have possibly made accepting the civilian casualties easier (even though family/friends can never be replaced), since the locals would know that they would be compensated fairly for their losses. It is a difficult terrain to navigate, of which we do not know the background of what may have leveraged the decision.

Deadhead 63A1
12-01-2010, 13:59
I wonder why they wouldn't pay for the Cow that got in the wire. To me $50.00 bucks for the cow, would be worth it if it made for better relations with the populace.

The only reason that I could think of is that because the populace in the valley was so heavily influenced by the Taliban that any monetary payments would likely have gone right into their op fund. The offer of payment via sugar, rice, etc. that was made was probably the comprimise from a command that didn't want to fund the bad guys any more than they already were... That was the explanation that came to my mind, anyway.

ABN_FO
12-01-2010, 14:43
The only reason that I could think of is that because the populace in the valley was so heavily influenced by the Taliban that any monetary payments would likely have gone right into their op fund. The offer of payment via sugar, rice, etc. that was made was probably the comprimise from a command that didn't want to fund the bad guys any more than they already were... That was the explanation that came to my mind, anyway.

That makes sense as well....

Guy
12-01-2010, 22:23
IIRC the Locals wanted 500.00 USD for the cow and still it would have been worth it. You would then set a "precedent" for future things that would arise.;)

The average income of Afghan workers has jumped to $426 a year from $70 since 2004, says Aziz Shams, spokesperson of the Ministry of Finance. In the past two years, poverty has declined from 42% to 36%, according to Fardin Sediqi, chief of the Methodology and Supervision Department of the Ministry of Economy. I'd start running cows into the wire every other week!;)

Stay safe.

ABN_FO
12-03-2010, 07:15
You would then set a "precedent" for future things that would arise.;)

I'd start running cows into the wire every other week!;)

Stay safe.

Guy,
Very true indeed. Again, I don't know the exact circumstances around the incident. Alot of things would weigh my decision if it were I who was in those fella's shoes. As was said before, if the populace is in cahoots with the enemy (willingly or unwillingly) that also plays big into that. There are many variables to consider in this situation. As a CA NCO, I have seen the purposeful destruction/looting of projects from locals IOT receive more money/equipment to black market. One good example of that was a sheikh in Iraq, who had a health clinic built by a CA/ODA a few years ago (and was fully stocked with medical supplies), ask my Team to refurbish and restock the clinic. It didn't take a whack on the head to realize that they more than likely had no doctors to run the clinic and therefore sold the equipment. Did they get money from me? Nope... I did however, put him in contact with the Provincial Minister of Health.
I also had a mayor, who had the balls to ask my Team to refurbish a soccer field that the PRT had done a very short time ago to the tune of the, well let's say it was done in the seven figure range. I tactfully told him he was nuts.
The bottom line is that we have been in the AO for years and word has certainly gotten around that if USF/Coalition Forces had even the slightest hand in any event that causes damage, then you will be compensated.

Guy
12-03-2010, 09:13
^^^^Good copy!^^^^
:cool:

Stay safe.

Masochist
12-08-2010, 14:14
National Geographic will be showing Restrepo again, this time on January 2 @ 8-10pm EST. Unedited and with limited commercial interruptions.

turducken
12-08-2010, 16:37
Just a reminder that its now available to watch instantly on the Netflix streaming service. Caught it last night, very interesting documentary.

BigJimCalhoun
12-08-2010, 20:51
I DVRed it but have not watched it completely.

I have not served in the military and I find the documentary pretty interesting. My brother in law is going over to Afganistan next year. When he (name available by request to QPs) was in Iraq his job was to interface with the civilians similar to some in this documentary.

Fonzy
12-08-2010, 20:55
Really hoping this come available online soon. No Nat Geo channel for me :/

Geenie
12-08-2010, 21:34
Really hoping this come available online soon. No Nat Geo channel for me :/

It can be found online if you look hard enough.

incarcerated
12-09-2010, 00:35
http://www.amazon.com/Restrepo-Artist-not-provided/dp/B0042KZJIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291876482&sr=1-1

perdurabo
12-09-2010, 00:58
It's available on Netflix streaming in standard def or high def. If you don't have a Netflix membership, you might find a 1 month subscription worth it to watch. They're under $9.

Fonzy
12-12-2010, 19:11
edit:

perdurabo beat me to it

cmts58
12-12-2010, 19:18
Does it seem to anyone that decisions were made by the Rangers just for the camera?

i.e. Operation Rock Avalanche

The Reaper
12-12-2010, 19:52
Does it seem to anyone that decisions were made by the Rangers just for the camera?

You do realize that wasn't a Ranger unit, it was the 173rd?

TR

cmts58
12-12-2010, 20:42
My apologies sir, I will adjust fire. I believe I confused OP Restrepo with the Pat Tillman story. The above question is about OP Restrepo though.

ZonieDiver
12-12-2010, 20:50

While I believe that NO one acts in front of the camera as they would in the absence of said cameras, I also know that that long-term exposure can result in some level of ignorance of said cameras. Also, I have been associated with airborne infantry units and well-recognize the behavior. In no small part - bluster in the face of fear.

cmts58
12-12-2010, 21:16
Do you mean as in a coping mechanism for the stress? I can see that. Would you be comfortable if higher up directed a civilian documentary crew to accompany your next deployment? Due to operational differences, not necessarily an SF deployment. I would be worried of an " Okay Soldiers, remember... these cameras want a good show...".

Masochist
12-12-2010, 21:35
I believe Zonie is referencing human nature (regardless of combat situation) as opposed to a reaction to stress. Correct me if I am wrong here.

In my experience, when you throw someone in front of a video camera, they tend to act differently than they normally would if they weren't "being watched" per se. Be it acting goofier than usual or acting more serious than usual, a camera triggers something in humans. Why do you think shows like MTV's Real World and Jersey Shore are so popular?

As for becoming comfortable around the cameras, after they've been there for a while, they tend to "fade into the background" and become an afterthought. You start to get a more realistic picture of how people act when they forget that there's a trained eye on them.

Truckie117
12-12-2010, 21:43
Hi
Saw it this morning on netflix God Bless them all.

ZonieDiver
12-12-2010, 21:44
I believe Zonie is referencing human nature (regardless of combat situation) as opposed to a reaction to stress. Correct me if I am wrong here.

In my experience, when you throw someone in front of a video camera, they tend to act differently than they normally would if they weren't "being watched" per se. Be it acting goofier than usual or acting more serious than usual, a camera triggers something in humans. Why do you think shows like MTV's Real World and Jersey Shore are so popular?

As for becoming comfortable around the cameras, after they've been there for a while, they tend to "fade into the background" and become an afterthought. You start to get a more realistic picture of how people act when they forget that there's a trained eye on them.

Well said.

nousdefions
12-20-2010, 14:04
Just saw this, I don't know for sure, but you may have to sign up.

" Blockbuster On Demands offers downloads of Restrepo for free. That's $12 less than the lowest total price we could find for a physical copy of this movie.
Blockbuster On Demand is a free video streaming service that works with a variety of devices, including PCs and mobile phones. (Firefox users may have to download a plugin.) "

OP Restrepo at Blockbuster (http://dealnews.com/Blockbuster-On-Demand-Restrepo-downloads-for-free/417693.html)

Masochist
12-20-2010, 23:33
Just saw this, I don't know for sure, but you may have to sign up.

" Blockbuster On Demands offers downloads of Restrepo for free. That's $12 less than the lowest total price we could find for a physical copy of this movie.
Blockbuster On Demand is a free video streaming service that works with a variety of devices, including PCs and mobile phones. (Firefox users may have to download a plugin.) "

OP Restrepo at Blockbuster (http://dealnews.com/Blockbuster-On-Demand-Restrepo-downloads-for-free/417693.html)

Yes, you do have to sign up and download the BLOCKBUSTER Movielink player before you can download Restrepo. Also, there is a disclaimer: Unable to download? You must use Internet Explorer or have IE plug-in for Firefox

stg
12-21-2010, 21:39
It's available on Netflix streaming in standard def or high def. If you don't have a Netflix membership, you might find a 1 month subscription worth it to watch. They're under $9.

Thank you for that. A friend of mine, who just returned from a tour in Afghanistan (she's an Army nurse) suggested it. I've been trying to find a way to watch it this evening.

aegisnavy
12-22-2010, 00:58
Watched it tonight on Netflix. Finally had a break from the hectic pace lately.

It's a no brainer that the soldiers had an extremely difficult job. And it appears that similar to other insurgencies, the populace gets caught in the middle. I most appreciated the Col.'s words to the elders about how foreign fighters were paying the villagers sons 5 bucks to wage war, and that was forcing his soldiers to kill their sons for a lousy 5 bucks, while the foreign fighters stayed in the rear on the radios. It rang of unadulterated truth, AFAIK.

War is hell. Thanks to all those who weather the storms of hell.

Dozer523
12-22-2010, 06:58
Netflix is great. The basic service is $10/mo and that covers all the streaming movies you want. (I know cuz we upgraded the family room system about a week ago and I went to watch something -ANYthing- and found my kids had ordered a bunch -- my movie was 17th in the cue. With luck I'll get to watch it by Groundhogs day. Which coincidentally, was the title of the movie I wanted to watch!) If you order through Facebook you can get $100 Farmville dollars too!

(With luck I'll get to watch it by Groundhogs day. Which coincidentally, was the title of the movie I wanted to watch!)
(With luck I'll get to watch it by Groundhogs day. Which coincidentally, was the title of the movie I wanted to watch!)

ZonieDiver
12-22-2010, 09:52
Somebody smack Dozer, he's skipped a groove. :D

(Apologies to the young with no "wax trax" experience...)

Geenie
12-22-2010, 21:01
A Special Forces soldier advertising Farmville dollars?? :D:D:D

Dozer523
12-23-2010, 08:23
Somebody smack Dozer, he's skipped a groove. :D

(Apologies to the young with no "wax trax" experience...) Ow. . . Thanks. May I have another?A Special Forces Soldier advertising Farmville dollars?? :D:D:D
Am not. Co-incidental information. Be still, the heck with you . . . I'm gonna go watch BayWatch (They have all of 'um on NetFlix!)

Pete
04-20-2011, 10:49
Oscar Nominated Documentary Filmmaker And Photographer Reportedly Killed In Libya

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-hetherington-oscar-libya-restrepo-2011-4#ixzz1K5CIZG5v

"................But there are reports that photographers Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros have been killed in Libya........................"

Gypsy
04-20-2011, 17:20
That's a shame. RIP.

Guy
04-20-2011, 18:28
His death is a shame. The bigger shame is American forces leaving that area.RIP however, American forces should be ashamed of what?:confused:

Stay safe.

sarge1022
06-08-2011, 17:12
I thought the film was okay. I actually enjoyed the interview a lot more. Founder of IAVA, Paul Rieckhoff interviews Sebastian Junger about the movie and his experiences in the Korengal.

http://www.booktv.org/Program/11604/After+Words+Sebastian+Junger+War+interviewed+by+Pa ul+Rieckhoff.aspx

charlietwo
06-08-2011, 23:33
RIP however, American forces should be ashamed of what?:confused:

I believe he was referring to the final minutes of the documentary before the credits it states that we've pulled out of that part of the Korengal Valley in 2009. That was by far the most painful moment of the documentary, and it was a rough one to watch.

A part that got me and really contrasted Conventional vs Unconventional was the officer saying 'I really didn't research my area much. I wanted to go in with a clean slate' or something to that affect. Foolish at best... foolish.

Excellent glimpse of reality however. It would be nice if it were mandatory viewing in high schools across the country, but that couldn't happen in this PC environment.

Saturation
10-04-2011, 20:14
Article on-line:
Restrepo director and journalist Sebastian Junger is producing a three-part series that uses footage he and Tim Hetherington shot in Afghanistan for the Oscar-nominated film—and he’s also producing an HBO documentary about Hetherington’s life. (Tim died in Libya earlier this year.)

The series’ “focus will be on the characters at [Outpost] Restrepo, rarther than the troops and the deployment. So it’s more about each of the individual soldiers' stories. Tim and Sebastian were there on-and-off for 15 months, so we have close to 300 hours of footage. Basically, it will be all new footage,” executive producer Nick Quested told RealScreen. He said that the new documentary “film is about Tim — his life, his work and ultimately his death — but it’s really about his philosophy. Tim had this idea he was working on about youth in conflict, and how the stereotypes in America popular culture transcended to the front lines of conflict zones; how young men are driven to conflicts, and why they are driven to conflicts.”

The magazine reports that the documentary will debut on HBO “on April 20, 2012“ the first anniversary of Hetherington’s death,” and that producers “are presently in talks with an undisclosed U.S. broadcaster for the series.”

MtnGoat
10-05-2011, 08:15
A part that got me and really contrasted Conventional vs Unconventional was the officer saying 'I really didn't research my area much. I wanted to go in with a clean slate' or something to that affect. Foolish at best... foolish.

We have a copy of it here, I watched it too. Good film overall. This statement is so frinkin ture!! Conventional mindset is missed up IMHO.

At times we thought the whole platoon thought the same way the CPT did.