PDA

View Full Version : A sport none of you will watch !

ghuinness
08-14-2004, 20:28
Anyone want to take a bet on whether the Equestrian Team takes the Gold in Team Dressage and Team Eventing?

I say yes to both.

Second part - will they get any coverage if they do?

I say no.

:p

Bet: $50 to SOWF if I am wrong. Takers?

Dressage is Aug 16/20/21
Eventing is Aug 17/18/

Bill Harsey
08-14-2004, 21:37
Dressage? Isn't that a form of British Rodeo performed by riders wearing equestrian tuxedos that doesn't have anything to do with herding cattle?

Sdiver
08-14-2004, 23:05
Ummmm....I belive the BRAVO channel will be airing those events, and the LIMP wrist "fellas" from that -- Something Something, for the Straight Guy show, will be doing the, Klippity Klop, play by play.

With extra comentary on what each rider is wearing and how to excerorise for those special days "jumping".:D

Bill Harsey
08-15-2004, 00:55
Originally posted by Sdiver
Ummmm....I belive the BRAVO channel will be airing those events, and the LIMP wrist "fellas" from that -- Something Something, for the Straight Guy show, will be doing the, Klippity Klop, play by play.

With extra comentary on what each rider is wearing and how to excerorise for those special days "jumping".:D Sir Sdiver, we'ar in trouble. Check out Guinness's profile here. Just another day in my world...SORRY! I hope lot's of Dressage is shown! We even own an english saddle here too. Don't tell anyone.

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 08:21
You must define "coverage". The equestrian events have always been covered in the past though not on prime time National Channels. Try "Bravp" MSNBC or Telemundo.:munchin

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 11:12
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Sir Sdiver, we'ar in trouble. Check out Guinness's profile here. Just another day in my world...SORRY! I hope lot's of Dressage is shown! We even own an english saddle here too. Don't tell anyone.

Ohh belive me...I'm not bashing Dressage. I think it's a neat sport to watch. As a "somewhat" horseman, I know the reationship that exists between rider and horse, and what the rider is able to get their horses to do is incredible.

I can't wait for the Olympics to be held in Texas....then Bronc riding would become an event.:D

NousDefionsDoc
08-15-2004, 11:32
The chicks in the boots are kind of hot.

Team Sergeant
08-15-2004, 12:10
Originally posted by ghuinness
Anyone want to take a bet on whether the Equestrian Team takes the Gold in Team Dressage and Team Eventing?

I say yes to both.

I say no.

I grew up with a friend that loved to ride dressage. I once went to a local event with he and his wife. After it was over he asked what I thought of dressage? I told him I'd rather watch snails race.:D

I'm with NDD, the female riders look cool with those uniforms!

The Reaper
08-15-2004, 12:14
I think you guys are just into the boots and riding crops.

FREAKS!!:D

TR

ghuinness
08-15-2004, 13:43
Hold on while I get a few things to straighten you all out.....whips, spurs :D

Bill - okay.
Sdiver - must be narc'd.
NDD - don't squat with your spurs on !

Dressage is the foundation of all training; some of the best trainers in the area also train cutters !! Even cowboys need dressage.

TS - I admit, I have heard dressage described as watching paint dry. :rolleyes: The upper elements of dressage are derived from Military use. The ancient Greeks were the first to practice dressage in preparation for war.

The United States Cavalry at Fort Riley, Kansas, exchanged ideas and instructors with the schools in Europe and won an Olympic team bronze in dressage in 1932. U.S.Captain Hiram Tuttle also took an individual bronze medal.

Thankfully, U.S. Army General George Patton knew better than this bunch. He is credited for protecting the Spanish Riding School and rescuing Lipizzans.

So, is anyone going to take me up on the bet?

Oh - coverage. Well, I have never seen anything on Dressage or Eventing which lasted more than 10 minutes. Since SDiver thinks there is something, how about more than 30 minutes.

brewmonkey
08-15-2004, 15:17

I say yes to both.

I say no.

Dressage is Aug 16/20/21
Eventing is Aug 17/18/

I think this is on at the same time they have Trampolining on so I will end up missing it. :D

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 15:33
Who is looking at the boots. Their uniforms are only second to "Beach Volleyball.":p

TerribleTobyt
08-15-2004, 17:00
I can't believe I watched two houra of Table Tennis yestidday.

I gotta get a life.

Toby

Huey14
08-15-2004, 17:22
And guess who beat the US at that.

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 22:03

I say no.

Dressage is Aug 16/20/21
Eventing is Aug 17/18/

Okay...I'll take your bet...and you're gonna regret, cause I'm the best there ever is...Fire on the mountain, run boys run, Devils in the house of the rising sun, Chicken in the bread pan pickin out dough...granny does your dog bite?...no child no........WHOA !!!! Sorry. Kinda got away from myself there.

Just looking at my little Olympic sports guide that came with Todays paper.....

Sunday (today) 2 AM (PST) Bravo Equestrian, three day event....Dressage.:lifter

Bill Harsey
08-15-2004, 22:06
Okay...I'll take your bet...and you're gonna regret, cause I'm the best there ever is...Fire on the mountain, run boys run, Devils in the house of the rising sun, Chicken in the bread pan pickin out dough...granny does your dog bite?...no child no........WHOA !!!! Sorry. Kinda got away from myself there.

Sunday (today) 2 AM (PST) Bravo Equestrian, three day event....Dressage.:lifter GO CHARLIE!

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 22:11
GO CHARLIE!

:D

Bill....do you get CBC down around your neck of the woods?
We get it up here, so I've got 4...yes 4...stations to choose from.

NBC
CNBC
BRAVO and
CBC

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 22:25
Don't get CBC bit I get Telemundo here. That still ,ames four. Martina Navratilova is playing for the U>S> tennis team on Bravo right now.

:lifter

Bill Harsey
08-15-2004, 22:30
:D

Bill....do you get CBC down around your neck of the woods?
We get it up here, so I've got 4...yes 4...stations to choose from.

NBC
CNBC
BRAVO and
CBC I don't know what CBC is so that must be the answer, only ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS plus local Fox station, not news. That's it for here, we spent the commo budget getting DSL here instead of satellite. No cable available here. Country problems.

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 22:50
Originally posted by QRQ 30
Don't get CBC bit I get Telemundo here. That still ,ames four. Martina Navratilova is playing for the U>S> tennis team on Bravo right now.

:lifter

Damn !!!!:eek:

Forgot Telemundo......That's 5.:D

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 22:52
I don't know what CBC is so that must be the answer, only ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS plus local Fox station, not news. That's it for here, we spent the commo budget getting DSL here instead of satellite. No cable available here. Country problems.

CBC = Canadian Broadcasting Channel...or something like that...outta Vancouver (BC) not Washington (state) not DC. :munchin

QRQ 30
08-15-2004, 22:55
7th SFG guys should be watching Telemundo. They can call it language training.:D

Sdiver
08-15-2004, 23:22
7th SFG guys should be watching Telemundo. They can call it language training.:D

It's all GREEK to me.;) :D

Air.177
08-16-2004, 10:07
OK, so your fancy Horse games do get airtime. How much attention do you think the Olympic shooters will get? The shotgun folks traditionally get the most of any, followed this year by men's running target, since running target is going away after these games. I bet Our pistol shooters don't get any coverage. But then again, I only get network TV, so I'm probably not in the know.

Oh, and this may be for the better, TS if you think the Horse games are boring, Watch a 10 meter match, Rifle or Pistol. Paint drying is riveting after watching a bunch of folks sloooowly raise their weapon, fire one shot, lower their weapon, load, repeat. and the targets don't even DO anything!

We need an olympic shooting sport on steel IPSC targets at various unknown distances, fired with an AK. How better to let the underdeveloped nations have a level playing field? 1000+ dollar airguns are out of reach, but I am willing to bet there are a few AK's out there.

DunbarFC
08-16-2004, 10:14
Who is looking at the boots. Their uniforms are only second to "Beach Volleyball.":p

My cousin played beach volleyball and is about to go into the volleyball hall of fame

I saw a lot of beach volleyball when she was playing and let me tell you those "uniforms" are second to none !

QRQ 30
08-16-2004, 10:21
Actually the shooting matches were on MSNBC this morning at the same time the Dressage was on Bravo. The networks such as NBC will understandably show the high profile events as well they should. However you have a vast choice of events on the other channels and most all events will be aired. You will see much more than you would if you were there.:lifter

ghuinness
08-16-2004, 10:56

Sunday (today) 2 AM (PST) Bravo Equestrian, three day event....Dressage.:lifter

Damn - I probably missed all 2 minutes !
Thanks for volunteering to lose :D

QRQ 30
08-16-2004, 11:02
FYI the 10 M air rifle match is on MSNBC rat now -- 1300 EDT.China is 1&2, Japan is 3&4, Ger is 5 and USA is 6.:lifter

NousDefionsDoc
08-16-2004, 11:45
Originally posted by DunbarFC
My cousin played beach volleyball and is about to go into the volleyball hall of fame

I saw a lot of beach volleyball when she was playing and let me tell you those "uniforms" are second to none !

This post is worthless without pics....:munchin

DunbarFC
08-16-2004, 11:49
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
This post is worthless without pics....:munchin

I'll see if I can dig some up

Of course my cousin was dominating the tour in the early 90's so I'll have to scan 'em as well

I gotta say it was a great time to be her little cousin when all the players were around..............;)

DunbarFC
08-16-2004, 12:39
The Bulgarian team

My cousin is there coach when they play on the pro beach tour

Sdiver
08-16-2004, 12:48
The Bulgarian team

My cousin is there coach when they play on the pro beach tour

DARN !!!

I was hoping that your cousin would have been Gabrielle Reece.

Had that been the case....you'd have become, my newest, bestest, buddy.:D ;)

DunbarFC
08-16-2004, 12:50
Nah but I met Gabby way back when

Real nice and god was she hot

Sdiver
08-16-2004, 12:51
Nah but I met Gabby way back when

Real nice and god was she hot

What do you mean.......WAS !!!!:cool:

NousDefionsDoc
08-16-2004, 12:53
Better knock it off. This is a major hijack and the Team Sergeant will be along any minute.

Air.177
08-16-2004, 13:01
Better knock it off. This is a major hijack and the Team Sergeant will be along any minute.

You started it:p

NousDefionsDoc
08-16-2004, 13:07
Tattletale.

Now, back to the Olympics.

Sdiver
08-16-2004, 13:10

As always...you are right.

Team Sergeant, sorry for hijacking this thread about an event that no one will watch.

Now where were we???

Oh yeah...Dressage, Boots and whips.

DunbarFC
08-16-2004, 13:10
Tattletale.

Now, back to the Olympics.

Do the horses get medals ?

Gold shoes perhaps ?

Bill Harsey
08-16-2004, 16:39
DARN !!!

I was hoping that your cousin would have been Gabrielle Reece.

Had that been the case....you'd have become, my newest, bestest, buddy.:D ;) Here I am just minding my own business trying to see how those poor horse are holding up in the Greek country side...

ghuinness
08-16-2004, 21:24
Hijack this thread.....!!

Look who I found :D

Bill Harsey
08-17-2004, 08:40
Wow, a HORSE that plays beach volleyball!

DunbarFC
08-17-2004, 08:48
Wow, a HORSE that plays beach volleyball!

Mr Harsey don't give the IOC any ideas :)

Bill Harsey
08-17-2004, 08:59
Ok, I won't. Speaking of ideas, any of you folks seen the "beach volley ball dancers"? Who the h--- thought that up? Of course I like looking at babes with almost no clothes on dancing in the hot sun but this is the OLYMPICS! Lets watch the athletes compete! Is that an IOC approved feature?

DunbarFC
08-17-2004, 09:06
I didn't see that one and I can say that in the years my cousin played on the beach there were never dancers. The Coors Light girls weren't even there and they were the tour sponsor

I wonder how much control the actual sports governing bodies ( FIVB for volleyball ), have over the events and how much is Olympic controled ?

QRQ 30
08-17-2004, 09:07
Ok, I won't. Speaking of ideas, any of you folks seen the "beach volley ball dancers"? Who the h--- thought that up? Of course I like looking at babes with almost no clothes on dancing in the hot sun but this is the OLYMPICS! Lets watch the athletes compete! Is that an IOC approved feature?

I saw them. The Aussies are complaining about the distraction.

I think I will have to review the tapes a few hundred more times to make a decision.:D :p

Bill Harsey
08-17-2004, 09:18
I saw them. The Aussies are complaining about the distraction.

I think I will have to review the tapes a few hundred more times to make a decision.:D :p I'm here to help if needed.

ghuinness
08-17-2004, 11:03
2004 Olympic Games - Eventing

One Casualty in the 2004 Olympic Cross Country Course

Despite being called a horse friendly cross country course, the 2004 Olympic eventing course has unfortunately claimed one casualty. The Belgian eventing rider Joris van Springel fell in jump 26, the coffin, and his horse Over and Over broke his pastern bone.

Over and Over is a 13-year old Belgian warmblood was brought to the Veterinary Clinic to be operated on this afternoon.

QRQ 30
08-17-2004, 11:15
Security around the diving complex is being stepped up following the bizarre incident when a half-dressed spectator climbed onto a board at the diving competition and jumped into the pool. The man was wearing a tutu and extra-large clown shoes.

That wasn't a spectator. It was a participant looking for his partner.:D

ghuinness
08-23-2004, 07:26
Since none of you are watching:

Team Eventing - US Bronze
Individual Eventing - US Silver
Team Dressage - US Bronze

Individual Dressage: GO DEBBIE !!

Debbie McDonald of Hailey, Idaho, moved into contention for an individual dressage medal on Monday with an energetic, fault-free round on Brentina that scored 74.840 percent.
The ride moved her from fifth after the team competition on Saturday to fourth overall, with an average for the two days of 74.067 percent.
``I'm staying in the hunt,'' said McDonald. ``It's a long shot, but I'm not giving up.''

The United States hasn't won a medal in individual dressage since 1932. Which was won by Col. Hiram Tuttle (http://www.usdf.org/Pdf/Awards/2002HallOfFame.pdf)

TerribleTobyt
08-23-2004, 13:48
So I got off from working the grave yard shift at my company, turned on MSNBC, and wot do I see but Dressage.

Turned it off and went to bed.:D

Sacamuelas
08-23-2004, 13:53
It's so boring that every time I read this thread, I have to take a nap.... ZZZZZzzzzzzz.............