PDA

View Full Version : Do SOF feel more of a brotherhood with each other than the conventional units......

taskforceiron
09-12-2010, 08:14
within their perspective branches? I have this book entitled U.S. Special Forces by Alan M. & Frieda W. Landau, Terry Griswold, D.M. Giangreco, and Hans Halberstadt. On page 270 it reads There is a tremendous overlap of missions, training, aptitude, and command of all the organizations within US Special Operations Command. It then has a picture of a Green Beret holding a German GPMG MG and it states that the Green Beret trains SEALS in the art and science of small arms such as that German GPMG. It goes on to state SEALS and Green Berets are essentially members of the same fraternity. They are likely to be on better terms with each other than with members of conventional units within their own branch of service. I'm asking if this statement is indeed accurate?

Pete
09-12-2010, 08:35
Read more post less.

Use the search feature.

We have threads here on just about everything.

Find an old thread, read it and then ask a question on it.

taskforceiron
09-12-2010, 09:00
I searched and never found anything. Then I went through all ten pages and did not find what I was looking for.

shortbrownguy
09-13-2010, 05:00
First off it is none of your business where I am at. Also, the question was posed to a QP and not someone in support.

Since your general location is none of my business, any information about my career field is none of yours.

-SBG sends.

taskforceiron
09-13-2010, 05:06
I apologize SBG and I have now given a location.

Pete
09-13-2010, 05:14
First off it is none of your business where I am at. Also, the question was posed to a QP and not someone in support.

Your question was a general SOF question. You asked "Do SOF feel........". You did not ask "Do SEALS and Green Berets". What? Don't you like Rangers?

You asked a SOF question and a SOF person answered - don't stick your nose up in the air at them on this board.

You are beginning to be high maintenance. Be warned.

taskforceiron
09-13-2010, 05:17
Your question was a general SOF question. You asked "Do SOF feel........". You did not ask "Do SEALS and Green Berets". What? Don't you like Rangers?

You asked a SOF question and a SOF person answered - don't stick your nose up in the air at them on this board.

You are beginning to be high maintenance. Be warned.

I didn't realize he was a Ranger.

blue02hd
09-13-2010, 05:47

He's also my friend, and has earned his right to share his thoughts here. Watch your step, this is not a place to be rude. Ranger or not, I seriously doubt you would speak to him like that if you were face to face. I know I wouldn't,,,

1stindoor
09-13-2010, 07:08

Why would that matter when we're discussing civility. If you look around this site you'll notice that even our most heated discussions are still done with civility and respect.

Peregrino
09-13-2010, 08:36
Taskforceiron - You are on the cusp of being "not worth the effort". I have reviewed your previous posts and fail to see a positive cost/benefit ratio. I would recommend you re-examine why you joined PS.com and what you hope to gain WRT your contributions to date. Read more and post less.

Richard
09-13-2010, 08:50
In answer to the question and from my experiences only - generally, yes...but not always - it was always individually and situationally dependent.

Richard :munchin

taskforceiron
09-13-2010, 09:44
Why would that matter when we're discussing civility. If you look around this site you'll notice that even our most heated discussions are still done with civility and respect.

Being civil works both ways doesn't it? Did he not admit he was being a d**k? Many of you chose to overlook that I served myself.

ZonieDiver
09-13-2010, 09:48
Being civil works both ways doesn't it? Did he not admit he was being a d**k?

He did admit that from the get-go. However, after that (upon re-reading), his post was quite civil, IMHO, considering that to which he was responding.

taskforceiron
09-13-2010, 09:55
He did admit that from the get-go. However, after that (upon re-reading), his post was quite civil, IMHO, considering that to which he was responding.

I believe I asked a valid reasonable question. I do not disrespect people who respect me. Fact.

Team Sergeant
09-13-2010, 09:57
Only two types of individuals post in this forum, those that ask the questions and the Past and Present "Special Forces" soldiers that answer them.

If you have a problem understanding this I'll be happy to explain via email, PM or face to face.

Team Sergeant

taskforceiron
09-13-2010, 10:02
I'm going to apologize to all of you and move on.

1stindoor
09-13-2010, 10:05
Okay, I'm willing to start over again. This is strictly my opinion only, I believe the "brotherhood" is a direct reflection of the type of unit. That is, combat arms. There is a shared experience, a shared hardship, a shared grief, that is generally not always felt by the non-combat arms. This is not to say their mission or role is unimportant, merely my opinion is that those in the combat arms have learned to rely on each other from day one of their training. Their very lives are dependant on each other....of course YMMV.

taskforceiron
09-16-2010, 04:57
Gentlemen I realize that I was rude and arrogant the other day and I just want to apologize. I'm starting to understand things better and just wanted to apologize for the other day.

Bennett
09-16-2010, 10:16
Camaraderie/Brotherhood/Band of Brothers are all personality driven. I was on teams for 16 of my 22 years in SF and for the most part it’s true your team bonds and you make a Brother for life. On the other hand I’ve had team mates that I wouldn’t give the time of day to. An old Team Sergeant, Corky Shelton had a rule to fix that, “if you want to fight among the team let me know and we’ll get the gloves, if you do it while we are deployed, I’ll buy your ticket home and have your shit out of my team room before we get back.” That worked. I’ve also had the honor to work with other SOF elements both US and foreign who I consider a Brother and I am still in contact with. For the most part, not always, conventional forces, again both US and foreign felt a little intimidated and I’m sure for good reason of SF. We are all type A and cock sure of ourselves, we have to be. Bottom line, it’s in my humble opinion that it is personality driven, you either are or you’re not. Think about it.

1stindoor
09-16-2010, 11:22
We are all type A and cock sure of ourselves, we have to be.

I think that about sums it up.

Liammac
10-18-2010, 06:32
Gents,
I'm very new to the forum and have been reading several threads and posts to get a feel for it. I'd like to chime in on this from a non-tabber point of view.

I spent a few years on SOT-A 501 at Campbell in the late 90's and had the pleasure and good furtune to work very closely with 535, 534 and 523, plus the other SOT-A's from 2/5.

I got to the point where these teams would request me by name on missions where my particular skill set would benefit, or when they needed an extra commo guy. I feel that it's just like Bennett said, personallity driven, either you have it or you don't. But I also want to say that for those of us who worked along side and in direct support it is also takes professionalism, knowledge and work ethic and a little old fashioned gut check. The best compliment I've ever received was from Randy Rhodes from 535 (CSM Mario Vegil's old team) who told me "Mitch, you can come work with us any time"...

Since I've moved on in my career I've also ran into several former members/team mates, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I am still welcomed with open arms. It's a grea feeling and I'm very proud to have served with the best there is and to still be considered a brother to some after all these years.

PRB
10-18-2010, 12:01
It's the heat that steels the iron.
Any combat unit will form strong bonds...the heavier the combat the stronger the bonds. In combat you can't help but be who you really are, no facade can withstand that cruciable. You get to know people down deep, happy,sad,glad,scared etc....
SF is that and more because of the time spent with the same guys. I was on the same ODA for 7 years from a junior guy to finally being the Team Sgt. So you get both. Had one guy in B/2/5 that was in the same Company for 16 years.
Another SOF/SF factor is everyone goes thru some selection process so you get guys with many similar attributes.
Conv Army assigns and moves folks regularly, or t least they did.
Having said that I can see the Infantry guys I served with in RVN like it was yesterday and a strong bond exists there too.