PDA

View Full Version : Mentor

Meridian
09-11-2010, 18:53
I just finished reading "Get Selected" by Joe Martin, and the chapter regarding mentors really stuck out. I've done a lot of research (books, internet, etc.) but I haven't had access to any SF soldiers, or really any military personnel for that matter, except for recruiters. I currently live in Boston, and I was wondering if there was anyone is the area who would be willing to share some of their experiences.

Ben

Decoy_Octopus
09-11-2010, 18:56
What do you need in terms of mentoring?

Meridian
09-11-2010, 19:08
What do you need in terms of mentoring?

Nothing to specific at this point. Just a current or former SF soldier I could talk to about their experiences and get a first-hand account of things (rather than just reading about them). And someone to bounce ideas off now and then.

The Reaper
09-11-2010, 19:15
Have you searched for mentor here and done any reading?

More specifically, have you searched and read every post here that concerns your questions?

How about checking out "A Message to Garcia" first?

TR

Meridian
09-11-2010, 19:18
Have you searched for mentor here and done any reading?

TR

Yes, sir. I'm not looking for hand-holding, but I think it would be helpful to talk to someone in person.

Snaquebite
09-11-2010, 19:21
Tequila, You continue to irk me. Stay in your lane. Questions of this type are directed at QP's and I don't see that anywhere in your bio.

ZonieDiver
09-11-2010, 21:44
Nothing to specific at this point. Just a current or former SF soldier I could talk to about their experiences and get a first-hand account of things (rather than just reading about them). And someone to bounce ideas off now and then.

Where are you in 'the pipeline'? If you haven't signed up, and want someone to tell you what awaits you, I think that in the end that answer would be failure.

There is SO much information 'out there' - on this site and in books recently published that IF you need someone other than that 'little voice' in the back of your head to let you know what YOU should DO, you are probably not what SF is looking for and will not survive the process.

I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not.

Tequila... you sadden me.

Dozer523
09-11-2010, 21:49
I just finished reading "Get Selected" by Joe Martin, and the chapter regarding mentors really stuck out. I've done a lot of research (books, internet, etc.) but I haven't had access to any SF soldiers, or really any military personnel for that matter, except for recruiters. I currently live in Boston, and I was wondering if there was anyone is the area who would be willing to share some of their experiences.

BenWhat do you need in terms of mentoring? the blind leading the blind. And tequila has trouble hearing too.

greenberetTFS
09-12-2010, 05:31
the blind leading the blind. And tequila has trouble hearing too.

All I know is where in the hell was my mentor when I needed him or her!........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Meridian
09-12-2010, 06:20
Fair enough. I'm not looking for specific information per se, I just thought it would be interesting to talk to someone in the field. Not a big deal.

blue02hd
09-12-2010, 06:41
I'm in the field. But before I respond it will cost ya some Blue Moon.

Meridian
09-12-2010, 10:40
Beers would of course be on me. I should have put that in my original post.

blue02hd
09-12-2010, 11:16
Beers would of course be on me. I should have put that in my original post.

Package them carefully, you will be sending them to an APO Address. Oh, and btw for all you QP's about to ambush me, the Blue Moons aren't fer drinking,,, their fer looking through,

ns1clrk
09-12-2010, 12:24
Package them carefully, you will be sending them to an APO Address. Oh, and btw for all you QP's about to ambush me, the Blue Moons aren't fer drinking,,, their fer looking through,

Looking through? Are there secret uses for Blue Moon? Do I need to send some to find out the answer to that as well? :D

Foot Drill
09-19-2010, 19:49
x

wet dog
10-04-2010, 17:59
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not.

Tequila... you sadden me.

"Brother, one day man, I was walking down the street, and this girl....this girl with purple hair, dude, really crazy girl gave me a mushroom icecream cone. Man, my mind was blown and I ended up at Ft. Bragg. Man, I was hooked."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAixFYnDh4

Dozer523
10-04-2010, 19:17
Where are you in 'the pipeline'? If you haven't signed up, and want someone to tell you what awaits you, I think that in the end that answer would be failure.

There is SO much information 'out there' - on this site and in books recently published that IF you need someone other than that 'little voice' in the back of your head to let you know what YOU should DO, you are probably not what SF is looking for and will not survive the process.

Tequila... you sadden me. I think this ought to do it. Our work here is done.

greenberetTFS
10-05-2010, 15:33
I think this ought to do it. Our work here is done.

Absolutely,Zonie..........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Mike
10-08-2010, 00:39
Just before leaving highschool in 1965 , I saw a brochure at the PO "What Does It Take To Rate A Beret?"

Looled like the coolest stuff in the world.

I knew that was what I wanted to be.
Whatever it took.
Did a year and half of colltch before I made it happen.

Mentor? Try desire tempered with determination.

Or you could just motivate and do it.

Jed
10-25-2010, 08:56
Yoda ! You seek yoda ! Take you too him I will ! MMMH-MM MM MM:D

ZonieDiver
10-26-2010, 10:56
Just before leaving highschool in 1965 , I saw a brochure at the PO "What Does It Take To Rate A Beret?"

Looled like the coolest stuff in the world.

I knew that was what I wanted to be.
Whatever it took.
Did a year and half of colltch before I made it happen.

Mentor? Try desire tempered with determination.

Or you could just motivate and do it.

Are you talking about this one????

mattbuy
05-27-2011, 23:53
"Quote: Originally Posted by ZonieDiver

I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not."

--"A Calling"..........., now whats a man to do when he (see my profile) has the calling but is getting up in years ? Will the sfas assesors not-select someone due to age only? Or bc of age look all the more carefully to not select?
The advice to push ahead through all obstacles and follow your gut...still apply? I have read numerous posts of QP's giving their opinion that older guys would slow down a team, etc... could we get hypothetical accounts-what kind of guys were they ....just trying for glory, out of shape, ...

Peace