PDA

View Full Version : Judge: Westboro can deface flag at protests

Pete
09-03-2010, 05:19
Judge: Westboro can deface flag at protests

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/09/ap-westboro-protesters-can-deface-flag-judge-says-090210/

"OMAHA, Neb. — A federal judge overturned Nebraska’s ban on flag mutilation Thursday, clearing the way for Kansas church protesters to continue trampling on the U.S. flag when they protest at military funerals.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf said the law can’t be applied as long as Megan Phelps-Roper and fellow members of the Westboro Baptist Church “otherwise act peacefully while desecrating the American or Nebraska flag during their religiously motivated protests.”................."

The courts will uphold the ruling. They go a long way to cover political speech.

Which makes me wonder how in the world you can have hate speech? Hate cartoons? Oh, it makes a protected group feel bad? So protected groups have more rights than regular folks? It appears so.

But the Westboro turds do it just to get attention and maybe get a reaction that includes something physical so they can sue. Gotta' get their paycheck somehow. Nice little racket they got going.

craigepo
09-03-2010, 06:22
Well Pete, this won't make you feel any better.

Judge Rules Controversial Westboro Baptist Church Can Protest at Military Funerals
August 21, 2010 12:52 PM
A federal judge has struck down as unconstitutional a Missouri law aimed at preventing members of a Kansas-based religious group from conducting inflammatory protests outside the funerals of fallen US service members.

Chief US District Judge Fernando Gaitan said the state statute violated free speech protections guaranteed in the First Amendment by imposing excessive restrictions on the ability to conduct protests outside funerals. The judge, who is based in Kansas City, Mo., also ruled that the controversial protests did not amount to "fighting words," which are unprotected by the Constitution and can be banned.

"Although plaintiff's speech may be repugnant to listeners, the court finds that, at a minimum, some of plaintiff's speech is entitled to constitutional protection," Judge Gaitan said in a 19-page decision announced Monday.

The plaintiff in the case was Shirley Phelps-Roper, a member of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan. The group has attracted national attention by using military funerals to stage protests to spread its message that God hates America for its tolerance of homosexuality.

Church members arrive at military funerals with signs that declare: "God Hates Fags," "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," and "9-11: Gift from God." The group believes that God is punishing the US - and allowing US soldiers to die in combat overseas - because of the country's growing acceptance of gay rights.

The protests are conducted at military funerals regardless of the sexual orientation of the service member. They have provoked angry reactions from family members, friends, and members of the public.

http://blackchristiannews.com/news/2010/08/judge-rules-controversial-westboro-baptist-church-can-protest-at-military-funerals.html

Guy
09-03-2010, 06:38
They're (Westboro) going to protest at the "wrong" funeral and hell is going to break loose.....

Stay safe.

T-Rock
09-03-2010, 06:56
They're (Westboro) going to protest at the "wrong" funeral and hell is going to break loose.....

No $h#!…and I know it’s against the PGR mission but when it does, my hypocritical self would like to be there :mad:

Freedom isn’t free but joining the Patriot Guard is :cool:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyMBBzsDgA
> http://www.patriotguard.org/

charlietwo
09-03-2010, 07:07
Some animals are more equal than others... Imagine my surprise.:rolleyes:

Saoirse
09-03-2010, 09:18
Evil begets evil.
Not for nothing, I am still trying to figure out how some judge can overturn legislation.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf said the law can't be applied as long as Megan Phelps-Roper and fellow members of the Westboro Baptist Church "otherwise act peacefully while desecrating the American or Nebraska flag during their religiously motivated protests."
Gee and what happened to "separation of church and state"? I guess it's whatever suits that judges particular political agenda!

I know I wasn't asleep in class when I took Political Science (but then again I could have been daydreaming about my very handsome and intelligent professor! lol).

This seems to be a growing trend through-out the country! I guess our laws really dont' mean scheisse when some judge can pick and choose which one should be upheld.

I would love to come across those so called Christians. They are a hateful and spiteful bunch. You guys are right, one day they will protest the wrong funeral and burn the flag in front of the wrong crowd. :lifter

craigepo
09-03-2010, 09:56
Not for nothing, I am still trying to figure out how some judge can overturn legislation.

That is a question that has been troubling for many, for about 500 years. Although I hesitate in citing anybody to anything from Wikipedia, the article discussing the case of Marbury v. Madison explains how we arrived at that point early in this country's history.

The Chief Justice in that case was John Marshall (a somewhat distant cousin of Thomas Jefferson if I remember correctly). Every law student in the U.S. studies Marbury v. Madison ad nauseum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbury_v._Madison

dr. mabuse
09-03-2010, 13:52
I would hope the fire dept. shows up and hoses the, um, fire.

It's a fire hazard in dry areas and perhaps it would be an illegal burning in a burn-ban area.

Come on attorneys, use your sneaky gene and come up with something that will help the flag wavers, not the flag burners.:mad:

While we're at it, we should force them ( for their own good of course ) to stop, drop and roll to make sure they are not going to catch on fire with a little application of a Halon product. :D

As far as the nut-jobs ( ref: DSM-IV-TR pg. 221 ), er, erstatz Christians, I should exercise my right to free speech ( noise ) and broadcast some pink noise in their specific direction at about, say, 12,000 watts.

Hey, I like pink noise, o.k.?