PDA

View Full Version : Dove Opener

mark46th
09-01-2010, 21:08
How did you do today? I got a limit but had to work for it. I was on the C.R.I.T. (Colorado River Indian Tribes) reservation, near Blythe, California. Our usual spot yielded only 3 birds by 8:00AM so we went to plan B. We crossed a canal into an area that has trees and sparse brush. The birds would water then go to roost in the trees. We had to walk through the area and flush them like quail. It took a little work but by 10:30, my friend and I each had our 10 birds.

lksteve
09-01-2010, 21:52
I've been dove hunting once...when I was still living at home, my dad and I went on opening day...he had a side-by-side 20 gauge, I had a single barrel 12 gauge...we each shot a box of shells and came home with hors d'oeuvres for one...

craigepo
09-02-2010, 08:28
A friend called yesterday, left a message, "thousands of doves flying, why aren't you here". I was, of course, working.

I guess its time for me to go buy a case of shotgun shells, as that's what it seems to take to kill a limit of doves. If fighter aircraft could jink like a dove, we would never be able to develop a missile that would take a a fighter down.

Lanyard
09-02-2010, 09:45
10 Shots
0 Doves
2 Prarie Dogs

My 1st time Dove hunting, pretty fun. It seems the Dove haven't bunched up in preparation for migration. It was twos and threes all morning. I have to admit I held back on quite a few shots as I wasn't sure of species ID.

ZonieDiver
09-02-2010, 11:10
I used to dove hunt all the time (well, in season) here in the Phoenix area. Of course, then it was a short drive to good dove country. Now, those wonderful areas are all houses. Alas...

mojaveman
09-02-2010, 14:35
Hey Mark,

I'll have to put my Browning Auto 5 back together and go with you next year. I like Blythe, it's quiet out there.

mark46th
09-02-2010, 17:06
That would be great! I have a couple extra shotguns if need be...