PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to the Q... hopefully

BirdStuff
08-29-2010, 23:25
Okay, I searched near and far on the site and couldn't come up with a answer I need.

I'm prior service and going back to the Q. I was a 63h that dropped my packet and passed selection in 05. Attended the Q from Apr 06 - Apr 07. Long story short, I knew I was about to get custody of my son due to a poor environment he was in with his mother in CA and had to leave the course. Got out in 08 for lack of family care plan - became a single dad. Since then I have remarried to a spectacular woman that I've chatted up about the Army and SF. She's 110% in. Family care plan covered now.

I spoke to every recruiter under the sun. They've all told me I would be asking for a miracle to get a 18x on the first visit to meps and they would not support multiple trips until I landed one.

I got in contact with an NCO at the Directorate of Special Operations Proponency. He filled me in on some of my options and the one that seems like my best bet is this.
1- Enlist with a 11b contract.
2- Get to Benning and get in contact with a SF LNO he passed contact info for "who I'm told NOT to contact until I'm at Benning," and ask for a crossover 18X contract.

I asked if there was anything that would hold me back from getting it and got the reply of "none" but it just feels like I'm taking a gamble on it.

Anyone know of any success / failure stories of going to AIT with the intention of getting that contract?
What about a prior who's had time in the Q already getting it?

Oh and I didn't just shoot and scoot out of the course. I still have a letter of non-academic relief stating come back when your family matters are resolved.

18C4V
08-30-2010, 10:14
Your issue is that if you go back AD, regardless of what MOS, you'll probably have to do SFAS again since I think SFAS is only good for 5 years.

Another option is the guard route, get qualified then put in for AD.

BirdStuff
08-30-2010, 10:56
If that's the only hiccup I'm going to face then no problem. I passed once, I can do it again. I just want to get back on the path with the least interaction of the regular army as possible.

The gentlemen I spoke to did tell me about the guard route and I decided to go for the AD 11b to 18x crossover one.

Anymore feedback on this matter is greatly appreciated.

The Reaper
08-30-2010, 11:05
I just want to get back on the path with the least interaction of the regular army as possible.

Why?

TR

wet dog
08-30-2010, 11:05
Your issue is that if you go back AD, regardless of what MOS, you'll probably have to do SFAS again since I think SFAS is only good for 5 years.

Another option is the guard route, get qualified then put in for AD.

I have to agree with my brother on this one.

Where are you with your education? Are you close to finishing? Go guard, get 18series qualified, finish school, then go AD. It will always be there for you. SF guard is deployed 1 out of every 3 years. Your new parenting plan sounds more like permenant child care, with someone else raising "your" off-spring.

Keep options open until options begin to exhaust themselves, don't miss out on your child's early development.

WD

Surgicalcric
08-30-2010, 11:49
There are guys who have successfully navigated the 11x to 18X hurdle once at Benning but those cases are the exception, far from the rule.

If I were you I would plan on taking the long route to SF if you arent open to the NG option.

In either case you need to do more thinking about the situation you are placing your new bride in with raising YOUR child. She may be more than willing and enthusiastic about it right now but down the road when you arent home it could very well be another story all together. Something to think about.

Crip

k-rub
08-30-2010, 12:49
I am no expert on this process. However, I recently lived close quarters with some 18x soldiers fresh out of OSUT. They explained that a couple of the 11b soldiers went straight to the SF recruiting office in Benning after graduating OSUT. The soldiers were able to secure a 18x contract after going there. I don't know if this is common occurrence though.

BirdStuff
08-30-2010, 12:54
I should clarify my statement about not wanting to deal with regulr army. It was one of my options passed along to me to go reg army, then drop my packet a year or more later. I was just looking at the opportunity that gets me back to what I was doing that I loved quicker.

I'm not enrolled in any classes. Currently supporting the wife through her classes. That's one of our benefits we're counting on when I go back is to pass on my gi bill to her and the kids. I will hit the required 6 year mark to transfer those benefits to them after being back 4 months and will transfer them when I re up. She's not a fill in the slot mother by any means. She's actually picked up the reins to being a mother to my son who's five and he adores her. She brings two, two year old twins with her to the table that I've adopted. We both understand I wont be around much but we also unerstand that I need to do what I need to do. We both hold each other up and give one another full support on life decisions. We also live by the feeling that if we are not happy then our children are not going to be happy.

I'm joining the military as a whole for my family. The benefits and opportunities afforded are why WE made the decision for me to go back. SF is where I want to be in that equation and the wife backs it.

EDIT: Taking your guys advice and in contact with NG recruiters to get my facts straight. Thanks for the heads up.