PDA

View Full Version : Rucking routes......

jetflyr
08-25-2010, 18:11
For the Texans out there or those who do some rucking in Texas, where might there be some good trails to ruck on and get some off road distance? I am in the Brenham area. 1/2 way between Houston and Austin on Hwy290. If I plan accordingly, I am willing to drive to some areas and drag the family along if I have to for a mandatory fun day.

Thanks,
TOM

JJ_BPK
08-25-2010, 18:28
For the Texans out there or those who do some rucking in Texas, where might there be some good trails to ruck on and get some off road distance? Thanks, TOM

Down here on the rock swimming is the primary fitness craze.

But, I hear these guys need rucking partners and they have a very established system of really great trails in Texas..

http://borderinvasionpics.com/

Be Safe..

jetflyr
08-25-2010, 18:47
They look they would be good partners. There rucks are bigger than mine though.:D I am willing to bet they can really shuffle with their rucks! Good stuff. I am searching TPWD and the Corps of Engineer sites for anything promising.

TOM

lksteve
08-25-2010, 19:00
They look they would be good partners. There rucks are bigger than mine though.:D I am willing to bet they can really shuffle with their rucks! Good stuff. I am searching TPWD and the Corps of Engineer sites for anything promising.Hmm...I don't know about the course now, but power transmission line rights of way would have been a good thing to know about when I went through the course...

ZonieDiver
08-25-2010, 20:22
For the Texans out there or those who do some rucking in Texas, where might there be some good trails to ruck on and get some off road distance? I am in the Brenham area. 1/2 way between Houston and Austin on Hwy290. If I plan accordingly, I am willing to drive to some areas and drag the family along if I have to for a mandatory fun day.

Thanks,
TOM

While you're out rucking, could you pick up a half gallon of Blue Bell 'Cookies 'n Cream'?:D

Debo
08-25-2010, 21:32
While you're out rucking, could you pick up a half gallon of Blue Bell 'Cookies 'n Cream'?

No shit right! I used to know all the stores in Fayettropolis that carried Blue Bell Icecream.

Jet,

All you need is a road or a ditch to ruck in. I rucked primarily in the ditch next to whatever road that took me where I wanted to go. There are alot of nice parks though. Brazos Bend State Park, Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin, Hill Country Wilderness Area in Bandera. Do some looking on the net. I would find something very close and convenient to you. Rucking is not something you make a special trip to go do on Fridays, it is something that you do before breakfast or after a workout. Or if you got to busy that day you put on a headlamp and knock out 8 miles before bed. I used to ruck to Larue Tactical and have coffee with Mark in the mornings, then ruck home. It was 6.2miles each way.

D.

wet dog
08-25-2010, 21:51
All you need is a road...
Rucking is not something you make a special trip to go do on Fridays, it is something that you do before breakfast or after a workout.D.

"You're right on target brother, keep shooting".

To those who are in training:

Keep a ruck and have it always ready. If you can't ruck, then do push-ups with your feet elevated, raise the ruck over head 100 times, take it to bed, take a shower wearing a ruck, buy groceries, buy gas, cook dinner, garden, mow the lawn, wash the car, "become one Grass-hopper".

Any when you're ready, add 20lbs.

The Lunchbox
08-28-2010, 17:07
There is a great nature preserve, called Arbor Hills, in Plano, TX. Its a little small but very well done.

-LB

ABN_FO
08-29-2010, 00:59
Oh man I grew up in Hempstead, right down the road from you! Let me caveat this with the fact that I haven't been home in ten years! I do remember that you can go to FM 359 and HWY 290, park at the Waller County Fairgrounds and you can walk 359 pretty much all the way to Katy if you want! If I also remember correctly there is mostly 10-15 feet of grassy shoulder and ditches to walk on either side. Not to mention all of the side roads shooting off of 359 that go for miles. You can also ruck the old Houston- Hempstead road, it runs parallel to Business 290 from Hempstead to Hockley.

jetflyr
08-29-2010, 07:19
ANYONE who wants to come ruck with me, (ZonieDiver and Debo specific since you brought it up), I will by you Bluebell. :D Myself, I am partial to Moolenium Crunch. By the way, it looks like I found a great equestrian trail in Sommerville, 21 or so miles round trip. See attachment. Great pointers guys. I totally agree with rucking is not something you just do on a Friday or what not. I usually go out to the local park at 4am, and around 0530-0600 the "regulars" look at me like I have something growing out of my forehead. Thanks again guys. Keep the ideas coming.

Jet