PDA

View Full Version : Chris Reeve (China?)

Mitch
08-22-2010, 01:13
While browsing through Ebay - I saw these knives - they look like a Chris Reeve Pacific- knife - the logo looks authentic, but the price is impossible.

And it claims to be 440C (also doubtful) instead of S30V and the grip looks wrong too. The cord has freyed ends and the wrong knot - no CR knife woud look like that - right out of the box.

It is obvious that it is not Pacific, and of course not a Yarborough as it claims - so what is it?

It says "China" under Ebay Location?

Tatonka316
08-22-2010, 04:46
... and it looks like is says, "Hear-say" on the blade:confused::cool::eek:

... but my eyesight 'ain't' what it used to be ...:boohoo

molon labe

sal
08-22-2010, 08:07
There are a number of knife companies that are cuirrently having issues with copies of designs made in China. The situation is growing as more and more Chinese factories are making copies and shipping them direct to US consumers from Hong Kong.

I would suggest, that in the interest of supporting your knife company, that you do not patronize these copy companies.

sal

Ambush Master
08-22-2010, 09:22
Chris had one of these with him at SHOT. I saw it in his Shop, before we drove down, and at first glance thought that it was one of his!! After closer inspection, there was ONE GLARING difference, NO QUALITY!!! Rough/Sharp edges, mis-alignment of the Scales and many many other imperfections, but they did have the CR Logo and Harsey Signature pretty close!!

DJ Urbanovsky
08-22-2010, 10:07
When you're at the top of your game, you become a target for rip-off artists. Sucks, but that's our industry, unfortunately.

If you're buying, make sure it's the real.

The real knife this knife is copying (The Pacific) has canvas or linen micarta slabs. Probably canvas judging by the ones I've seen. And they're OD with texture because they've been blasted. The slabs on this knife appear to be paper micarta and are too smooth.

Sloppy shadow boxing on the handle slabs. Plunge is hinky. Undulating grind line. Profile lines are also off.

If you've trained your eye, spotting the differences is easy.

cszakolczai
08-25-2010, 11:16
When you're at the top of your game, you become a target for rip-off artists. Sucks, but that's our industry, unfortunately.

If you're buying, make sure it's the real.

The real knife this knife is copying (The Pacific) has canvas or linen micarta slabs. Probably canvas judging by the ones I've seen. And they're OD with texture because they've been blasted. The slabs on this knife appear to be paper micarta and are too smooth.

Sloppy shadow boxing on the handle slabs. Plunge is hinky. Undulating grind line. Profile lines are also off.

If you're trained your eye, spotting the differences is easy.

I know it must be frustrating to have people rip off your work, but in some odd sort of way this can almost be taken as a compliment. Only the best/most popular items are the targets for the people who are copying items. Although as DJ pointed out, if you're buying, now you have to be extra careful.

I guess the copier in China purchased one of the real knives off ebay.

Bill Harsey
08-25-2010, 13:29
Mitch,
Thanks for posting that. Like DJ notes the knife pictured is more of a rip off of our 1st SFG(A)
Pacific knife than the "Y" knife but anyway...

Talked with Chris Reeve about this stuff last week and he noted one new trick some are using, full pricing to make it sound more like the real deal.
Chris was also told "they" are authorized manufacturers. This is NOT true.

Sal,
Good words.

Bill Harsey
08-25-2010, 13:31
...and it also looks like the Spec-Ops Brand sheath design is being borrowed too.

Eagle5US
08-25-2010, 13:50
I wrote E-Bay and sent them item number links to 4 counterfeit "Yarborough's" with a request to have the company barred from selling IAW e-bay counterfeit policy. If the Knock Off company would not have used your and CR logo, it would have been "legit" for them to sell it and call it whatever they want. It was the logos that was a violation of the TOS for e-bay.

Eagle

Bill Harsey
08-25-2010, 14:30
Eagle5US,
Thank you very much.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-25-2010, 15:11
I sure hope that these 'knock off' knives can be prohibited from entering this Country! :mad:

x SF med
08-25-2010, 15:52
I'm glad I get mine directly from the sources... although, maybe the sources are counterfeit... I wonder about those guys... (Bill, Chris- please don't hit me with a forging hammer, I'm kidding)

Seriously, I let people know that there are forgeries out there and that if a deal appears too good to be true, it is. There is a reason good/great knives are expensive and come with lifetime guarantees, lives depend on them. Bill and Chris take great pride in everything about their knives, as do Curt and Mark over at Spartan - they put their names on them, and stake their reputations that when the knife is needed, it'll do the job intended. Counterfiets just make unscrupulous thieving bastards money.

I'm glad when I purchase a Harsey, Reeve, or Spartan that I can shake hands with one of the 'names' and thank them for the art, science and craft they put into it.

Just my .02 on this subject...

orion5
08-25-2010, 16:13
Counterfiets just make unscrupulous thieving bastards money.

PATHETIC. :mad::mad::mad:

Mitch
08-25-2010, 21:11
I looked at Ebay today - all those knives are gone - looks like your Note to Ebay has had an affect. Thanks.

Regarding getting a knife from the source - would love to - just have the Yarborough now, but Christmas is coming!

x SF med
08-26-2010, 09:30
I looked at Ebay today - all those knives are gone - looks like your Note to Ebay has had an affect. Thanks.

Regarding getting a knife from the source - would love to - just have the Yarborough now, but Christmas is coming!

Mitch- if you can get by the perimeter security, you could steal one or two or three from Ambush Master... and you won't even have to wait for Christmas. But it might give new meaning to the song "O Hole-y Night" if he's home...;) And the repercussions of having him stalk you afterwards is a major consideration. Maybe waiting for Christmas is the best choice.

Mitch
08-27-2010, 01:54
Mitch- if you can get by the perimeter security, you could steal one or two or three from Ambush Master... and you won't even have to wait for Christmas. But it might give new meaning to the song "O Hole-y Night" if he's home...;) And the repercussions of having him stalk you afterwards is a major consideration. Maybe waiting for Christmas is the best choice.

Not too stealthy these days - probably will use the direct approach - happy hour and a Crown and Coke would probably yield better results.

x SF med
08-30-2010, 09:17
Not too stealthy these days - probably will use the direct approach - happy hour and a Crown and Coke would probably yield better results.

Brother... It's AM... you will need much more than A Crown and coke... more likely at least a half dozen. (Oh, damn, I'm not safe from him even out here... he has ways... I'm screwed.)