PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty to NG

underfundedboy
08-20-2010, 13:14
I've tried looking for information on transitioning from AD to NG with no luck. My question is a bit specific. My window to drop my packet for 18A is going to be up in a few months; however I've been looking at finishing up active duty and joining the Guard. If I'm still on AD can I apply to a NG group; get selected and begin the school pipeline while on active duty? Or do I need to wait till I leave active duty and join the NG then submit my packet?

Thanks

18C4V
08-20-2010, 13:23
I've tried looking for information on transitioning from AD to NG with no luck. My question is a bit specific. My window to drop my packet for 18A is going to be up in a few months; however I've been looking at finishing up active duty and joining the Guard. If I'm still on AD can I apply to a NG group; get selected and begin the school pipeline while on active duty? Or do I need to wait till I leave active duty and join the NG then submit my packet?

Thanks

I've seen some weird things happen so the best case is to call the unit that you want to join and see what could be done.

You can go to SFAS while on AD and then apply to a NG SF Company while still on AD. If you can time it right, you can go through the SFQC right after your terminal leave. You won't be AD but you'll be either on ADT via PCS or COADOS orders. I'm sure the orders status will change again for SFQC students.

I've personally seen that happen. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

You can also do the later part which is : leave active duty and join the NG then submit your packet.

abnremf
08-25-2010, 07:49
As the guy that used to run the program for 5/19 I can tell you that your best bet would be to knock out selection while still on active duty. When I ran the REC it was a no brainer for me if a guy walked into my office already selected. You'd join the unit and be on the next thing smoking to Bragg. If you wait until off AD then you deal with having to attend drills and enduring the smoke sessions before someone would bless you off to go to selection. My .02 cents.

underfundedboy
08-31-2010, 07:39
Thanks, both replies were very helpful. I'm going on R&R in less than two weeks so I'll try to get in contact with the unit I'm looking to join and see what they suggest.

zoolander6
09-07-2010, 17:07
Since your short, if you go to selection and get selected while on AD, youll have to extend at least 2 yrs after you grad the Q-course. This may be different for an O but thats how it goes for enlisted. I actually signed up for a NG unit while still on AD before i got out, but i was already an 18 series. Option; there are non tab O's in NG SF units, if you wanted to get out, i would sign up for a NG unit, then go to selection from there, if not youll be stuck on AD for awhile. PM me if you have any specific questions