View Full Version : Internet Question

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 11:38
Every now and then when I open a web page, I get a message:

Runtime Error Has Occured
Do you wish to Debug?
Line: Some Number
Error: Object Expected

Some pages have 20-30 of these things. If I answer "Yes" I get some program that sits there.

If I answer "No" for every line, eventually the page opens. Is there something I can do to make this go away?

CommoGeek
08-12-2004, 13:03
Is this in IE? Go to Tools-> Internet Options-> Programs tab and tell me what your HTML editor is set for. I've seen this and fixed it but my memory is failing me right now.

Kyo, am I on the right path?

Kyobanim
08-12-2004, 13:42
Yes. BUT, this is coming from popups and little apps that the page is trying to load but are being stopped by the IE security settings and your pop up blocker. You either get this annoying window and click cancel all the time or you get pop ups.

There's probably a hack to make it stop but I've never looked for it.

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 13:56
Originally posted by CommoGeek
Is this in IE? Go to Tools-> Internet Options-> Programs tab and tell me what your HTML editor is set for. I've seen this and fixed it but my memory is failing me right now.

Kyo, am I on the right path?

Microsoft Frontpage

Kyobanim
08-12-2004, 14:12
Change it from FrontPage to notepad.

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 14:33
Did. No change whatsoever.

DunbarFC
08-12-2004, 14:35
Try this

Tools-> Internet Options->Advanced

Check off "Disable Script Debugging"

See if that might help

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 14:41
That fixed it. Thanks Dunbar

CommoGeek
08-12-2004, 14:45
Originally posted by DunbarFC
Try this

Tools-> Internet Options->Advanced

Check off "Disable Script Debugging"

See if that might help

That's it!

Danke.

DunbarFC
08-12-2004, 14:45
Glad I could help

Kyobanim
08-12-2004, 20:16
That's wierd, I had script debugging turned off but was still getting the window. I changed editor to notepad and it went away. fucking microsoft.

Sacamuelas
08-12-2004, 20:31
Oh quit whining that someone out nerd'ed you on something Kyo! :p LOL

Thanks for the tips guys... my work computer sometimes has this happen.

BTW- KYo, Just kidding. With all the tension on this board today, I feel it is my duty to antagonize until someone blows up. LOL:munchin

Kyobanim
08-12-2004, 20:44
There was tension here today? I was busy trying to get tomorrow off so I could celebrate the hurricane properly.

No prob Saca. I like being out nerded. Some day I'll be able to chuck this occupation.

DunbarFC
08-12-2004, 22:53
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Oh quit whining that someone out nerd'ed you on something Kyo! :p LOL

Thanks for the tips guys... my work computer sometimes has this happen.

BTW- KYo, Just kidding. With all the tension on this board today, I feel it is my duty to antagonize until someone blows up. LOL:munchin

Someone please out nerd me

I'm so ready to quit the cubicle life

lol

Pandora
08-13-2004, 06:20
Out nerd opportunity:

MS VM will not install to my laptop. And I need to connect to a cleint's remote Lotus Notes web app which requires MS VM Java

IE --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced :
Sun Java is flagged off (MS doesn't like Sun Java anymore) ;)
MS VM - console enabled is on
Java logging is on
JIT compiler for VM is enabled

I get prompted for the VM download, looks like app comes down, do the reboot, and then get redirected to the MS "we don't like Sun java page" - yet I was installing the MS VM.

Please, someone out nerd someone and help with this one?

Kyobanim
08-13-2004, 06:33
You should be able to go to the Sun site and download the java client from them. That works for me. I've got an old copy of Java VM from microsoft I can upload somewhere if that doesn't work.

nerding again:cool:

CommoGeek
08-13-2004, 08:43
Pandora,

I'm in a Lotus shop and I can access my web mail and DBs using the Sun Java just fine. The enabled option in Microsoft VM is the JIT compiler. The others are not enabled.

Huey14
08-13-2004, 08:55
I often wish it were possible to take an axe to IE.

Kyobanim
08-13-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by Huey14
I often wish it were possible to take an axe to IE.

Try XP SP2. I installed it on 2 test machines earlier this week and am amazed. MS just might have finally gotten something right. Built in spam/popup blockers, better control on the built in firewall, better wirless controls. Haven't seen any problems so far that plagued the Beta release. IE works better also if you spend a little time going through the configuration.

Which brings up another subject. Lots of people complain about IE but how many people actually take the time to sit down and go through all the configuration windows and put a little thought into what they're doing? I know I didn't and after I did I had a smoother operating browser.

Huey14
08-13-2004, 09:03
I did, and I still hate the fucker.

I'll try XP SP2 on the Old's computer tommorow; they're running XP, I'm running Win2k.

Cheers.

The Reaper
08-13-2004, 11:32
Is XP SP2 available as an add on, or must XP be purchased all over again?

TR

Kyobanim
08-13-2004, 11:51
Service Pack 2 is free. It is available from microsoft as a 225 meg download or you can request the CD.

The Reaper
08-13-2004, 12:09
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Service Pack 2 is free. It is available from microsoft as a 225 meg download or you can request the CD.

MS website is showing it is not out yet.

You got a link?

Thanks!

TR

Polar Bear
08-13-2004, 12:14
Try here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en)

Kyobanim
08-13-2004, 12:14
It's going out to corporate clients first. Let me see if I can get it up on my site, if not, I can do it from work on monday.

Sacamuelas
08-13-2004, 20:00
Alright... I downloaded and installed this SP2 thing.

Question... I use xp home. I have always left the xp firewall and my mcafee firewall running together.

I have always assumed that it might give me higher protection having both running and I never noticed a slowdown or glitch in the past. Am i right to assume better protection if running both?

Now that I have installed this new patch, it says I should only run one. I currently stil have both active. Should I turn one off or proceed as is until I run into a problem. Wait, there is a catch. What types of errors or whatnot should I be looking for as far as problems that would relate to having both running concurrently? I am such a rookie computer nerd that I wouldn't know what to attribute to the firewalls verses other internet mixups. :o

Martin
08-14-2004, 07:02
Alright... I downloaded and installed this SP2 thing.

Question... I use xp home. I have always left the xp firewall and my mcafee firewall running together.

I have always assumed that it might give me higher protection having both running and I never noticed a slowdown or glitch in the past. Am i right to assume better protection if running both?

Now that I have installed this new patch, it says I should only run one. I currently stil have both active. Should I turn one off or proceed as is until I run into a problem. Wait, there is a catch. What types of errors or whatnot should I be looking for as far as problems that would relate to having both running concurrently? I am such a rookie computer nerd that I wouldn't know what to attribute to the firewalls verses other internet mixups. :o

It doesn't give you more protection unless either one sucks, in which case you should opt for the better one. You'll be the judge on that, it's hopefully not much of a difference.

I recommend only using one firewall at a time, they work on the same connection.

As I'm not familiar with exactly how the MS firewall handles traffic and have not read about the issues related, I can't state what will go wrong from running two at once.
There are many possibilities (access violations, added latency because of duplication of work, etc) and the only thing necessary to know is that you don't need two anyway.

Looky here, 60 posts!

Martin

PS. Oh, and I outnerd all of ya, hahahah! ;) DS.

Sacamuelas
08-14-2004, 09:08

Adam White
08-14-2004, 10:16
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox some time ago and haven't looked back.

Is there something particular about it that you computer types don't like, relative to this XP SP2?

Martin
08-14-2004, 10:51
Originally posted by Adam White

Is there something particular about it that you computer types don't like, relative to this XP SP2?

Some sensitive programs are known to break, hence IBM's internal recommendation not to upgrade until quirks having worked out. Those issues are, for the sake of their userbase, pretty limited though.

Service Pack Two (SP2) is primarily bug hunting galore and, I suspect (don't use MS products much), a few new functions, such as those mentioned previously. You'll probably be off better with it than without it unless you are on a production critical system that would need testing.

It will (is?) also be provided through Windows Update, available through your start menu.

HTH

Martin
08-14-2004, 10:55
Originally posted by Adam White

Ahem, if you meant Mozilla Firefox relative to SP2, no.

Firefox is a separate project not highly dependant on the intricates of Windows. Sort of like a car steering wheel muff in relation to the car.

Adam White
08-14-2004, 12:34
What I meant was, when I got sick of internet explorer - I just took advice from others and switched browsers entirely.

I was wondering if the consensus recommendation from this crowd was to stick with IE and get the latest updates - since maybe there are deeper issues with Firefox I am not aware of. I guess I was amazed that many of you went into details about fixing the problem, and none said, "download Mozilla Firefox and be done with it."

So far I have been quite happy - tabbed browsing is the shiznit.

Martin
08-14-2004, 12:53
You can go on confidently with Firefox. Security issues and problems are generally solved much faster by them than by MS, and are fewer. Firefox is also not equally integrated with Win as IE, thus narrowing down the possible sources of trouble in the coding process somewhat.

SP2 is a Windows service pack. As IE happens to be a part of it, problems pertaining to it are also addressed. Therefore SP2 should be downloaded regardless of whether or not you use IE, unless you have some specific reason not to.
It's actually quite a big patch.

HTH

Martin
08-15-2004, 02:23
Am i right to assume better protection if running both?

Just found this article, you may be interested in it:
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=76

In short, it says that the MS firewall is a no-go and recommend using an alternate one.

HTH

NousDefionsDoc
08-28-2004, 22:09
On another site, thumnail pics show up as little horizontal lines. Everybody else can see them, but I can't. I had this happen once before and I can't remember what was done to fix it.

DunbarFC
08-29-2004, 18:25
See if "Show Pictures" is checked under Advanced in the internet options control panel

NousDefionsDoc
08-29-2004, 21:41
Yes it is. I only have the problem on one board.

Kyobanim
08-30-2004, 03:22
Have you cleared out the internet temp files?