PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Outraged After Army Hero's Grave Site Turned Into Dog Park

JJ_BPK
08-16-2010, 11:19
Anyone in Kalifornicate need some excursive,, I have an ass-Ho or 2 that needs kicking...

What are the odds that they are getting Federal and/or VA money to maintain these graves??

http://www.cem.va.gov/

I am sending these guys a note..

Jim

Veterans Outraged After Army Hero's Grave Site Turned Into Dog Park

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/16/veterans-outraged-army-heros-grave-site-turned-dog-park/?test=latestnews

VENTURA, Calif. – The grave site for an 1860s Army hero awarded the Medal of Honor is now a popular Ventura dog park with poop soiling what veterans say should be sacred ground.

"Talk to any veteran, he will tell you it is a terrible thing. It's disrespectful," said retired Marine Sgt. Craig "Gunny" Donor, who served two tours in Vietnam and is bent on getting the soldier's remains moved.

Pvt. James Sumner, who was awarded the nation's highest military honor for gallant actions after a band of Apache Indians kidnapped a settler's child, died in 1912 and he was buried in what was then St. Mary's Cemetery.

Most of the flat grave markers have been hauled away, but a few dozen markers still pepper the 7-acre Cemetery Memorial Park that was home to about 3,000 permanent residents. Most were never relocated.

The lush, well-manicured hillside patch of green on Main Street just a few blocks east of downtown Ventura has pine, thickets of overgrown junipers and a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean and Ventura Pier.

Sumner died in 1912 at age 72. He never married and there are no heirs, Donor said. "I'm trying to get him moved to Bakersfield National Cemetery. He needs to be moved to a place of respect. Cemeteries are solemn places," said Donor.

But Ventura leaders have so far balked at moving Sumner.

"We are treating him pretty darn well, except for the poop," parks and recreation commissioner Sharon Troll told the Ventura County Star. <<<<< ass-Ho to be kicked...

The commission voted July 21 to postpone for two months Donor's request to unearth Sumner. Park commissioners have told Donor they're committed to a long-delayed effort to commemorate the area pioneers and military dead in the park. <<<<< more ass-Ho's to be kicked...

But Donor, who lives in Fontana and is a state captain for the Patriot Guard Riders, a motorcycle club that honors fallen veterans, isn't convinced. He expects the fight to wind up in court.

"He has no family, no one else to stand up for him, except for his brothers and sister in arms," Donor said.

f50lrrp
08-16-2010, 13:18
As a Vietnam Veteran of 8 years in the Army, I'm Outraged! I am now ashamed to call California my home.

Tatonka316
08-16-2010, 13:26
PLEASE keep me posted if there is ANYTHING we can do about the travisty!!! :mad::mad::mad:

molon labe:confused:

mojaveman
08-16-2010, 13:37
There probably aren't any administrators working for the City of Ventura who are Veterans.

Their failure to maintain a distinguished soldier's grave is a disgrace.

What do you say I take a drive up to Ventura some night and take a big dump on the steps of the City Administration building. :D

JJ_BPK
08-16-2010, 13:44
PLEASE keep me posted if there is ANYTHING we can do about the travesty!!! :mad::mad::mad:

molon labe:confused:

I sent the note to the VA,, but I have a feeling this is not a Federal Veterans Cemetery nor on the National Parks Historic watch list.

I suspect that the only venue available is the local political machinery.

If anyone knows a local election and can get the ear of the Republican,, or Democrat,, and local MSM,, maybe a deal can be expedited,, before the elections..

Given all the hard work the Patriot Guard Riders has done in the past, there may be little that can be done.

Oh,, and then there is Arnold...

My fear is they have put in for Federal grant monies and as soon as it show up, they will release the graves for re-internment..

Richard
08-16-2010, 14:17
Having dealt with some similar issues around our family ranch in the Sacramento area, we found that CA has very strict laws pertaining to the recording, upkeep, and use of its so-called 'pioneer' cemeteries like this one - I would wager this was not cleared through the State Historian's office and, when found out, the City of Ventura is going to find themselves in a costly bind.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02 :munchin

greenberetTFS
08-16-2010, 15:05
Having dealt with some similar issues around our family ranch in the Sacramento area, we found that CA has very strict laws pertaining to the recording, upkeep, and use of its so-called 'pioneer' cemeteries like this one - I would wager this was not cleared through the State Historian's office and, when found out, the City of Ventura is going to find themselves in a costly bind.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Geez Richard,I hope your right..............:( It's shameful what they've done to this Hero......... :(

Big Teddy :munchin

echoes
08-16-2010, 15:44
My fear is they have put in for Federal grant monies and as soon as it show up, they will release the graves for re-internment..

This is so sad.:( My blood is boiling! WTF are they doing up there???

For crying out loud, this is the moment when a Hero is honored, not disgraced!:mad:

Hope those responsible for this rot in Hell, slowly.

Holly

Richard
08-16-2010, 16:17
Seems as if this fight has been going on for quite awhile - link is to a 2006 web-site for restoring the Cemetery.

http://www.restorestmarys.org/Articles/Cemetery%20turned%20to%20Dog%20Park.html

Also tells of PVT Sumner's actions - remember, at that time the MOH was the only medal awarded for valor.

Medal of Honor winner Private James Sumner, Company G, 1st US Cavalry rests in this 'park'. He recieved his Medal of Honor for "gallantry-in-a-charge" on Oct. 20, 1869 in the Chiricahua Mts, Arizona. Awarded on Feb. 14, 1870. Cochise and the Apaches had kidnapped a white settler child in order to draw the 21 soldiers of the 1st Cavalry, Comany G into a box canyon and an ambush. A firefight from hell ensued. The Indians that weren't killed, disappeared into the hills. Two soldiers were killed. All 21 soldiers were awarded the MoH.

FWIW - I also sent the following note to the St Mary's Organizer regarding his post on the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier.

Mr Schleder,

I am a retired US Army Special Forces Officer. I was browsing your web-site and, after reviewing the link on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, felt the necessity to let you know that the e-mail which has floated around on the Internet for a number of years now and which you've posted contains a number of patently false 'facts' about the monument and its guard force. Snopes has done a good job of providing a dissection of the e-mail and either confirming or refuting the claims being made; their summary can be found at:

http://www.snopes.com/military/unknown.asp

I wish you the best of luck with your quest to retain and restore the pioneer cemeteries.

Sincerely,

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Gypsy
08-16-2010, 17:26
"We are treating him pretty darn well, except for the poop ," parks and recreation commissioner Sharon Troll told the Ventura County Star.

WTF. Seriously? What the hell kind of statement is this?

Stupid is as stupid does. Prepare for incoming, Ms. Troll.

JJ_BPK
08-16-2010, 18:14
Seems as if this fight has been going on for quite awhile - link is to a 2006 web-site for restoring the Cemetery.

http://www.restorestmarys.org/Articles/Cemetery%20turned%20to%20Dog%20Park.html

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

I was bamboozled by Fox News...

I am not happy,,

The story was heart wrenching enough.. :mad:

Just in. I received a note from the VA:

Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS)

ref: I would like to know if the grave of Pvt. James Sumner, A MoH recipient, is b...

Discussion Thread
Response (Dept of Veterans Affairs) 08/16/2010 04:42 PM

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) does not maintain or provide funds for the maintenance of grave of PVT James Sumner.

Please see the attached fact sheet, "Consumer Affairs - What You Can Do," for information on agencies that may assist you in this matter.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kxxx Bxxxx
Memorial Programs Service
VA National Cemetery Administration

Attached was a data file on Pvt James Sumner and a pdf file..

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 18:21
Let me know if I can do anything. Money, protest, whatever...I'm in.

MK262
08-17-2010, 00:10
Heads should roll for this. What a disgrace! :mad:

alright4u
08-17-2010, 12:59
As a Vietnam Veteran of 8 years in the Army, I'm Outraged! I am now ashamed to call California my home.

What do these folks value? I am serious.

busa
08-17-2010, 14:12
What do these folks value? I am serious.

Getting re-elected and NOTHING more!

They have no honor and do not even understand the term.