PDA

View Full Version : New POI/LP format being adopted?

Papa Zero Three
08-12-2010, 19:11
Trying to confirm something I have heard. RUMINT has it that TRADOC is/will be implementing a new POI and Lesson plan format. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

SouthernDZ
08-13-2010, 05:53
Trying to confirm something I have heard. RUMINT has it that TRADOC is/will be implementing a new POI and Lesson plan format. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

While the Automated Systems Approach to Training (ASAT) format is still very much in use, the Experiential Training Module (ELM) is the pending standard. Much of TRADOC still uses ASAT but CAL/CGSC has been using ELM for some time and the USASMA is in the process of changing over. AMEDDC&S has been threatening to change over to ELM for 2+ years.

I write many of the LPs and TSPs and I don't care much for the new format but "Mongo only pawn in game of life"

glebo
08-13-2010, 07:07
As stated above by SouthernDZ, we are still using ASAT as of now. Some of our folks are going through training for TDC....can't remember the acronym though, it seems to be a windows based format. From what the few people who had the "pleasure" of attending a conference call training session......it SUUUUCKS. But so does anything new, but this one seems to really.

We'll see if it gets forced down are throats....most likely.

ASAT is not the most user friendly, but this one is sort of lock step, ya can't progress until all previous field/steps are completed.

Papa Zero Three
08-13-2010, 10:12
While the Automated Systems Approach to Training (ASAT) format is still very much in use, the Experiential Training Module (ELM) is the pending standard. Much of TRADOC still uses ASAT but CAL/CGSC has been using ELM for some time and the USASMA is in the process of changing over. AMEDDC&S has been threatening to change over to ELM for 2+ years.

I write many of the LPs and TSPs and I don't care much for the new format but "Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Thanks for the info. So as of right now, if I understand you correctly,this new standard is not being used or directed to be used down at the knuckle dragger levels? Is there any indication as to when this potentially might become the new standard; have they issued a NLT/ O/A DTG yet?

SouthernDZ
08-13-2010, 10:23
ASAT is not the most user friendly, but this one is sort of lock step, ya can't progress until all previous field/steps are completed.

Sorry, that's Experiential Learning Model (ELM)...

The best description of ASAT I ever heard was "trying to build an elephant while starting at the toenails" You'd think converting ASAT LPs to ELM LPs would simply be reshuffling the materials into the new format - I wish that were true, it's not.:eek: I don't care for ELM format and it's interesting that most ILE instructors & students I've spoken with don't like it either; one student with a Ph.D said he couldn't make sense of it at all. Most instructors throw the LP in the drawer and teach from the slides anyway.