PDA

View Full Version : The new SFA Drop Magazine.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-11-2010, 13:11
I just got my SFA Drop magazine yesterday! There are many changes to it. IMO some of the changes are good and some not so good.

Among other things, I wonder if the changes to it will increase the cost, etc.

I just wondered what other SFA members here thought of the changes, etc. :munchin

18C4V
08-11-2010, 15:22
Haven't gotten mine yet.

bobby efurd
08-11-2010, 15:23
Got mine today. Can't help but to say I liked it.
I am sure the cost has increased. So has everything else.
Bobby

Red Flag 1
08-11-2010, 16:38
Have yet to get mine. The preview on the SFA site looked to be an improvement.

RF 1

glebo
08-12-2010, 07:10
If you guys go to the SFA website, I think there's a thread on it. The cost has NOT increased...it's actually cheaper, the paper it's printed on is a bit lighter (thinner).

I kinda like it, takes a bit to get used to.

The chap pres and such have noted a few disrepancies, but they should be taken care of before the next one...

mcarey
08-12-2010, 09:12
I think the new drop is an overall improvement and the website changes that are coming are a good thing for the SFA.

glebo
08-12-2010, 10:11
Just looked at the SFA site...no comments......yet, from the "'ol timers".....so maybe "no news is good news"??

greenberetTFS
08-12-2010, 10:21
Haven't gotten mine yet.

Same here.............:confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

DinDinA-2
08-12-2010, 11:13
Received mine a couple of days ago.

I liked the previous cover better...seemed more traditional.

I like the new "Taps" section.

Chapter news seems more difficult to navigate.

Over all colors and graphics are improved. Quite jazzy. Probably more appeal to the younger members.

Overall...I like it.

Anyone have comments on the Glock offer, inside the back cover?

Abu Jack
08-12-2010, 12:11
I thought it looked a lot better.

My only complaint is that I like seeing the chapters in numerical order they are easier to navigate that way.

Pete
08-12-2010, 12:41
I thought it looked a lot better.

My only complaint is that I like seeing the chapters in numerical order they are easier to navigate that way.

I think I like the new organization of the chapter newsletters by region.

If nothing else, if you go visiting it makes it easier to sort through the Chapters that might be on your line of movement.

D numbers are up to 8328 - and far too many names in the Taps section.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-12-2010, 17:12
Yeah, I agree Chapter news seems more difficult to navigate; however, Regions are a good thing. Yes, the Obit page seemed to be longer then usual.. :(

lksteve
08-12-2010, 17:17
They send mine via Pony Express, I guess...:mad:

Ret10Echo
08-12-2010, 19:59
They send mine via Pony Express, I guess...:mad:

Well then mine must be coming by canoe...

JJ_BPK
08-13-2010, 06:04
Well then mine must be coming by canoe...

Mine showed up yesterday on the mail barge that ran aground on the North end of Flemming Key.

I like the new look,, with one exception,, THE PRINT IS TO SMALL FOR THIS OLD FOG..

I know,, add stronger reading glasses to the 2-do list, the next time we get off the rock and go to Wally-World..

:D

A couple of the pictures were pointed out to me,,, They're even smaller than the text...

greenberetTFS
08-13-2010, 11:26
Just received my new Drop..............I like it,pictures are in color,the Taps section is more intent with it's info.......... Overall it's much better.........I don't know how many of you remember when it was the Decade and changed over to the Drop,the magazine had thin paper that was not in color except for the front cover only.......... It's come a long way from then,I've been getting it for 32 years now and have seen it's changes.............:):):)

Big Teddy

Red Flag 1
08-14-2010, 14:44
Mine showed up today. The front cover was abused somewhere along the way, ( sometimes get them with a badly torn cover) as is usually the case here:mad:.

I really like the way the chapters are grouped, photos are much better, and the publication is generally a step or two ahead. Well done SFA!!

I liked the Glock add, may just spring for a .45 cal.

RF 1

olhamada
08-14-2010, 19:52
Just got mine today as well. I like it. Looks even more professional.. Unfortunately, the front cover was ripped as well - just like Red Flag. Oh well. It's what's inside that counts anyway.

mark46th
08-14-2010, 20:51
Seems OK to this FOG. I like the new format with color pics. The regional organization is new, did I see that each region has a regional representative who has direct access to info from National? That should help with rumor control...

PRB
08-14-2010, 23:28
Just looked at the SFA site...no comments......yet, from the "'ol timers".....so maybe "no news is good news"??

Ok, define 'old timers'....

Richard
08-15-2010, 03:48
It was all so different before everything changed. I think it is fine - looks far more professionally done than the previous version.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

VVVV
08-15-2010, 15:28
The photos (pg 8) of the Pres and VP look like booking pics from the county jail.

Book'em Dano!!

I like the new cover design, but don't like the use of sans-serif fonts in much of the content. Serif fonts are easier to read. What's with the changing back and forth between gold and white type on the black pages?

IMO, the chapter section is too busy looking. I like old format better save for the color photos.

Overall, I'd rate it a "MB" - Mixed Bag.

I'm all for the Drop being dropped in favor of an Online Drop.

VVVV
08-15-2010, 15:32

Comments aren't exactly encouraged over there.

:munchin

Look at this thread, more discussion here about an SFA matter than on the Official Site.

Ret10Echo
08-16-2010, 04:24
Mine showed up yesterday on the mail barge that ran aground on the North end of Flemming Key.

I like the new look,, with one exception,, THE PRINT IS TO SMALL FOR THIS OLD FOG..

I know,, add stronger reading glasses to the 2-do list, the next time we get off the rock and go to Wally-World..

:D

A couple of the pictures were pointed out to me,,, They're even smaller than the text...

Canoe arrived...:D I haven't had a chance to look through the magazine yet, but I already have the pharmacy-peeps on-hand.