PDA

View Full Version : Wet bulb thermometers

craigepo
08-10-2010, 08:43
The local high school football team is out practicing in 100 degree weather(don't know what the humidity has been here in Southern Missouri the last few days, but very close to Africa hot). Old style coach, works the heck out of the kids. Additionally, the girls softball coach, worked the girls yesterday until a few started vomiting.

So, I am going to go purchase a wet-bulb thermometer for the school. My question: does anybody have any experience with a wet-bulb thermometer, preferably hand-held, easy to use, tells a coach what to do, etc. I was further curious as to whether the military was issuing such a device to any small-unit leaders.

My idea is to get something into the athletic dept.'s hands that will be easy for them to use, with the goal of keeping something serious from happening to a kid from the heat.

Sorry to post something so amazingly boring.

Bill Harsey
08-10-2010, 08:59
Your Honor,
Did you mean wet bulb Hygrometer?
to state what everyone here has experience with, humidity factors into heat problems too.
We (and I) used hygrometers all the time when logging during the summer because when the humidity dropped below a certain point we had to shut down the cable logging and chainsaw use then when it dropped lower we had to shut down all cat logging and loading operations and leave the woods.

The fines for failure to keep track of humidity and continue to operate were significant.

Wet bulbs are easy to use as long as the operator is honest about what read they get and with the new digital ones I see...the reading is easy.

adal
08-10-2010, 09:16
Here's a link to a site that sells weather kits that are used primarily for Wildland fires.
http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90.6250
Features a Weksler Psychrometer, Dwyer Wind Meter, Brunton "8010G" Basic Compass, 3" x 5" Rite in the Rain notebook, 4 oz. water bottle, spare pocket for small electronics (cell phone, small GPS, or Kestrel), pencil pocket and copy of NWS Weather Charts.
If a hotshot (read pvt) can use it, it's pretty easy. I was a medic on the fireline recently and I would "sling"weather every hour. It shows trends, and lets the line guys know if there are changes in the works. Let me know if you have any questions.
adal

The Reaper
08-10-2010, 09:28
The local high school football team is out practicing in 100 degree weather(don't know what the humidity has been here in Southern Missouri the last few days, but very close to Africa hot). Old style coach, works the heck out of the kids. Additionally, the girls softball coach, worked the girls yesterday until a few started vomiting.

So, I am going to go purchase a wet-bulb thermometer for the school. My question: does anybody have any experience with a wet-bulb thermometer, preferably hand-held, easy to use, tells a coach what to do, etc. I was further curious as to whether the military was issuing such a device to any small-unit leaders.

My idea is to get something into the athletic dept.'s hands that will be easy for them to use, with the goal of keeping something serious from happening to a kid from the heat.

Sorry to post something so amazingly boring.

Judge:

They now have a handheld stopwatch looking unit now that does all of the calculations for the Heat Cats.

All you need to do is to turn it on and put it down. Even has alarm functions to let you know when the Cat changes.

TR

Snaquebite
08-10-2010, 09:41
Judge:

They now have a handheld stopwatch looking unit now that does all of the calculations for the Heat Cats.

All you need to do is to turn it on and put it down. Even has alarm functions to let you know when the Cat changes.

TR

http://www.ambientweather.com/exhwhust.html
http://www.professionalequipment.com/heat-index-calculator-skyscan-ti-plus-skhm/first-aid/

Dad
08-10-2010, 10:17
Here in Texas all teams are REQUIRED to have a digital type thermometer on the field at every practice. I imagine it is similar to what The Reaper referred to. Here in Houston you stop when field temp hits I believe 110. One thing lots of people forget is the temp on the practice filed can be a lot hotter than off, like a parking lot. Also, they should stick those thermometers under the players jerseys. I have seen temps of over 180 degrees under the shoulder pads. That can kill you!

craigepo
08-10-2010, 12:07
Found a hand-held instrument that should work. Next need to find up-to-date wet bulb charts and fluid-replacement guidelines.

I'm attaching a link to a site which seems to give the military's present suggestions for both wet-bulb activities and hydration/work levels. My question is to the hydration levels. http://heat_index.tripod.com/

The attached fluid replacement guidelines state that a soldier should not drink more than 1.5 quarts of water per hour, and maximum daily intake should not exceed 12 quarts. I specifically recall drinking 18 quarts of water/gatorade a day while humping at White Sands Missile Range/Green mountains. Is the 1.5 quarts per hour/12 quart per day maximum the new standard? Would this amount change if the liquid consumed contained electrolytes(to keep the soldier from screwing-up his electrolye numbers)?

Next question: The chart says to add 5 degrees farenheit for wearing body armor, 10 degrees for MOPP suit. Would it be a good presumption to equate full football pads to the body armor number, or bump it closer to MOPP gear?