PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a Kukri customized

BearW
08-09-2010, 20:22
Gents,
Looking for some professionals' opinions on where one could get an old ceremonial knife with a lot of sentimental value attached to it customized. I've googled it all out and though there are a number of basement businesses who i could entrust this heirloom to, i would feel safer inquiring to the vast professional experience and knowledge of this forum.

I was presented a Nepalese ceremonial Kukri (general issue) by a little Gurkha friend when i was at Camp Souter, Kabul, Afghanistan '07. It's never been sharpened, never been used for anything other than as a conversation piece on my bookshelf and has all it's original pieces. It like to bring it into modern day, turn it into a tool i can use with me in the field, shealth and all. It will require some work thats well above my level and i'd like to enlist the services of a bladesmith to facilitate this.

For any technical specs involved please PM or email me.

Lastly, I feel quite priviledge to have to opportunity to pose this question such a mature audience as PS.

Thanks guys,

Bear

lksteve
08-09-2010, 20:48
Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. My $0.02...

Ambush Master
08-09-2010, 21:31

I totally concur. If you like that style of blade and want to modify one, buy a commercial one and do it. Other than having a "Shadow Box" or "Placque" made for it, I wouldn't touch it!!

Later
Martin

Snaquebite
08-09-2010, 21:36

Why may I ask would you want to change a Kukri presented to you. I have one that was presented to me by my Gurkha guard force in Iraq and would never think of modifying it.

My $.02 is to buy another one and modify it.
Try http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

JJ_BPK
08-10-2010, 05:51

What he said...

You can find new on ebay, for less than a C note, sharpened & ready to go..

DJ Urbanovsky
08-11-2010, 11:08
It's an heirloom to you? Then don't mess with it.

How about a pic? Closeup of any markings would be nice.

If you want a genuine kuk made by actual Nepalis in Nepal, I cannot recommend Himalayan Imports highly enough. Good service, good deals, and a wide selection of patterns. They're made using traditional methods though, so don't expect cosmetic perfection. On a knife that you're going to use however, that shouldn't be an issue. Users never stay pretty for long. :D

BoyScout
08-11-2010, 11:32
I was presented a Nepalese ceremonial Kukri (general issue) by a little Gurkha friend when i was at Camp Souter, Kabul, Afghanistan '07. It's never been sharpened, never been used for anything other than as a conversation piece on my bookshelf and has all it's original pieces. It like to bring it into modern day, turn it into a tool i can use with me in the field, shealth and all. It will require some work thats well above my level and i'd like to enlist the services of a bladesmith to facilitate this.

Bear
It's a gift, one you most likely should not take so lightly. That should be a safe queen. Buy another kukri and customize that, this one should be passed on down through generations as a prize, a treasure. Let this one be. At least that's my opinion.

rdret1
08-11-2010, 11:40
I definitely agree with everyone's opinion to keep that one as an heirloom only. I just purchased one from Major Surplus for $40, including shipping. I have not received it yet so I am not sure of the actual quality, but the write up stated they are current government contract issue. It is supposed to come with the sheath and the two small auxillary knives.

Peregrino
08-11-2010, 14:50
Cold Steel makes an indestructable one (with NO sentimental value) for a decent price. The presentation one deserves a shadow box or equivalent. You must have done something to deserve it; probably something that'll never be repeated in this lifetime. Why hazard the memento?

DJ Urbanovsky
08-11-2010, 15:07
Cold Steel makes an indestructable one (with NO sentimental value) for a decent price. The presentation one deserves a shadow box or equivalent. You must have done something to deserve it; probably something that'll never be repeated in this lifetime. Why hazard the memento?

You must be talking about the machete version, yeah?

Snaquebite
08-11-2010, 15:12
If you want authentic...check my link above...good prices also.

BearW
08-11-2010, 19:11
Thanks for all the great advice, gents. I'm a fan of the Kukrihouseonline.com link and i think i'll buy a rep from them or perhaps shell out for the cold steel or Kbar machete version.

I guess i just reckoned that if i were to give someone a knife as a gift, i'd want them to use it. I thought i'd spent enough time in the company of gurkhas to understand thats what they would have wanted me to do with it-apparently i was wrong. I'm humbled.

Thanks

Bear

Peregrino
08-11-2010, 19:20
Thanks for all the great advice, gents. I'm a fan of the Kukrihouseonline.com link and i think i'll buy a rep from them or perhaps shell out for the cold steel or Kbar machete version.

I guess i just reckoned that if i were to give someone a knife as a gift, i'd want them to use it. I thought i'd spent enough time in the company of gurkhas to understand thats what they would have wanted me to do with it-apparently i was wrong. I'm humbled.

Thanks

Bear

Bear - I doubt seriously that you're wrong. In fact - I'm willing to bet a paycheck you're absolutely right. HOWEVER - Take it from someone who had a prized knife stolen many years ago; the gift is irreplaceable. And some cultures don't "gift" weapons lightly. I know I don't, and I doubt your Gurkha buddies did either. Think about the cultural issues and consider the consequences of loss/damage.

Snaquebite
08-11-2010, 19:25
I thought i'd spent enough time in the company of gurkhas to understand thats what they would have wanted me to do with it-apparently i was wrong. I'm humbled.

That may well be what they intended. However, they would feel "humbled" if they knew you held this high as a gift and something that "humbled" you. When I was presented mine and hung it on the wall in my hooch, the Gurkha SGM didn't understand at first. After we talked he understood that I felt so honored he also understood the respect I had for his unit. We killed a goat the next day and celebrated.