PDA

View Full Version : Neuse River Catfish

Habu-MFFI 175
08-08-2010, 10:24
With the Saltwater sitting about an hour drive away, I figured I'd wet a hook at the Neuse River around Goldsboro and try for some bruiser cats. We set up right before dark and shortly there after the rains begain, but the bites also started. It rained till we finally left about 11PM, an I mean rained. I bet they got close to 2 inches in that area...it was waterfalling all around us.

Had several big hits and lot a couple other big fish. This is the 2 we finally landed and brought to the cleaning table for some much wanted "catfish nuggets."

The biggest one was 36 inches long and 20 inches diameter. So depending on the fish weight calculator will determine the answer you get. It will be from 16-25 pounds. My batteries are dead in my scales so can't use it.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/NeuseCatfish001.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z250/bshobbs/NeuseCatfish003.jpg

Roguish Lawyer
08-08-2010, 13:56
Dayum! Very nice!

greenberetTFS
08-08-2010, 14:03
They look great,makes me hungry for those "nuggets" you'll be preparing.........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Peregrino
08-08-2010, 18:44
You'll have to let us know the recipe and how they tasted. I've usually been dissappointed with the flavor and texture of the larger catfish. Nuggets made with a light but spicy breading were the best solution we could come up with; however, I haven't messed with them for years.

Habu-MFFI 175
08-08-2010, 19:02
I take and cut my fillets up into sizes about the size of 2 fingers. They cook quickly that way and have a nice crust all around.

I like to take and put em in a bowl and shake and mix a cup or so of Texas Pete in them and let it sit in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. Then take and shake em in a bag with House Autry Fish Seasoning and then into the frying pan. Usually I'll take some course yellow corn meal and put some into the House Autry..it gives it a nice crackly crunch.

That gives you a kinda hot/spicy/crunchy mix.:D

I've eaten blue cats up to 30 pounds or so with no problems. Occasionally I put em in fish stews and they work great in them also.

<*)))))>{

mojaveman
08-08-2010, 20:40
Nice catch.

Just curious as to what some of the favorite types of bait are back there.

Habu-MFFI 175
08-09-2010, 07:07
My favorite bait and the catfish just adore...is finger mullet or menhaden. I catch these at the coast and freeze them in bags of 25. Then just thaw em out and put em on a 5/0 or better circle hook and let the good times roll.

The circle hooks usually makes em hook themselves and they have the hook in the corner of the mouth where it will hold.

Fresh bream about hand size either whole or cut bait also works great. Also eels, small ones leave whole, let em wiggle and move around the bottom and larger ones just cut to 3-4 inch hunks.

<*)))))>{

hdgb
08-09-2010, 07:55
Nice cats
sounds like you earned em waiting out the rain

1stindoor
08-09-2010, 10:05
All good things come to those who bait. Nice catch.

Buffalobob
08-09-2010, 17:02
Fresh bream about hand size either whole or cut bait also works great.

That's what I use (cut).

I'm going to try the nuggets next time instead of larger fillets.

Nightfall
08-10-2010, 14:08
Awsome catch! I don't think I've ever caught one quite so big.

mark46th
08-17-2010, 14:58
I slice the filets into strips about 1"X 4" amd use them in tacos.

"Wrapped in cornmeal, then fried in butter, they will taste sweeter than the kisses of Esmeralda..." Richard Brautigan

Habu-MFFI 175
08-17-2010, 15:09
Bet they make some great tacos since the catfish are meaty...:)

mark46th
08-17-2010, 22:33
Yes, they do. Lightly fried Tortilla with a couple of pieces of fish, covered with fresh Pico de Gallo and a squeeze of lime. Wash it down with ice cold Pacifico and you may be in heaven... BTW, The best Pico de Gallo I ever had was in San Quintin, Baja California. The area grows tomatoes by the square mile. This salsa had red, yellow and green diced tomatoes, garlic, serrano chiles, cilantro and a touch of Mexican oregano.