PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

Defender968
08-05-2010, 21:18
I know there are some strong feelings towards Blackwater here, and I agree with many of them, however they have opened a new range on Reilly Rd in Fayetteville, I stopped in for a look around and ended up putting a few rounds through my rifles/pistols there. I have no affiliation what so ever, just like to shoot and thought I’d share my experience at the shop.

I'm not a huge fan of Blackwater/Xe but as it's 30 minutes closer than Gunsplus, and as you can shoot rifles up to 308, as opposed to Jims where you can only shoot pistols I figured I'd give it a shot so to speak.

Shop itself is nice, very little in the way of gear, mostly just Blackwater/Xe promotional gear beer glasses, t-shirts, polo’s and such, though the manager did tell me they were in the process of getting a FFL and will have a full complement of weapons/parts, accessories and tactical gear etc...

The range itself is unique, instead of an open bay with lanes designated by shooting positions it's got 6-10 actual lanes made of concrete tubing, so you're shooting down an approx 36 inch tube which is a little different but not a huge deal for basic marksmanship shooting, a bit of an unusual echo, but with double hearing pro not too bad. The range has AC, but the air circulation system sucks out smoke as well as cool air so it gets a bit hot with 2 guys shooting, I imagine with 6-10 it could get uncomfortable.

Lanes are adequate in terms of space to spread out and put gun cases, extra mags, targets etc without being too cramped. Max distance is 75 feet, though you can stop the target at any range to practice closer engagements.

One unique feature is the range is set up for low light/no light shooting for NODs.

They also have an archery range for those who want to practice before bow season.

Overall not a bad range, can't use full silhouette targets because of the tubes, which I don't care about, but some folks might.

Cost is 15 per hour less a 10% LE/MIL discount. They're open now, however not fully up and running, currently they don’t sell ammo, and don’t have eyes/ear pro for rental, (neither of which matters to me as I buy my ammo in bulk and have all my eye/ear pro, but something to be aware of)

The Reaper
08-06-2010, 07:24
I know there are some strong feelings towards Blackwater here, and I agree with many of them, however they have opened a new range on Reilly Rd in Fayetteville, I stopped in for a look around and ended up putting a few rounds through my rifles/pistols there. I have no affiliation what so ever, just like to shoot and thought I’d share my experience at the shop.

I'm not a huge fan of Blackwater/Xe but as it's 30 minutes closer than Gunsplus, and as you can shoot rifles up to 308, as opposed to Jims where you can only shoot pistols I figured I'd give it a shot so to speak.

Shop itself is nice, very little in the way of gear, mostly just Blackwater/Xe promotional gear beer glasses, t-shirts, polo’s and such, though the manager did tell me they were in the process of getting a FFL and will have a full complement of weapons/parts, accessories and tactical gear etc...

The range itself is unique, instead of an open bay with lanes designated by shooting positions it's got 6-10 actual lanes made of concrete tubing, so you're shooting down an approx 36 inch tube which is a little different but not a huge deal for basic marksmanship shooting, a bit of an unusual echo, but with double hearing pro not too bad. The range has AC, but the air circulation system sucks out smoke as well as cool air so it gets a bit hot with 2 guys shooting, I imagine with 6-10 it could get uncomfortable.

Lanes are adequate in terms of space to spread out and put gun cases, extra mags, targets etc without being too cramped. Max distance is 75 feet, though you can stop the target at any range to practice closer engagements.

One unique feature is the range is set up for low light/no light shooting for NODs.

They also have an archery range for those who want to practice before bow season.

Overall not a bad range, can't use full silhouette targets because of the tubes, which I don't care about, but some folks might.

Cost is 15 per hour less a 10% LE/MIL discount. They're open now, however not fully up and running, currently they don’t sell ammo, and don’t have eyes/ear pro for rental, (neither of which matters to me as I buy my ammo in bulk and have all my eye/ear pro, but something to be aware of)

I have seen the building many times before.

Thanks for the report.

TR

Iraqgunz
08-06-2010, 22:59
Blackwater is actually a very good place to train. I'll be out there all next week and then again around Sept 11.

Peregrino
08-07-2010, 09:07
I stopped by there yesterday to follow-up on D-968's report. Got an enthusiastic sales pitch on the "benefits" of the range design; wasn't overly impressed. Looks like it was designed by a corporate lawyer determined to reduce liability. (Heck - might even be able to get it permitted in one of the Peoples Republics.) Their retail operations are still a ways from being ready for prime time. Large, new facility with big plans and deep pockets to get it off the ground. We'll have to wait and see how it fits in to the local scene. I doubt it'll be an Ed's or a Shooters; however, because of the range (better than nothing) it has the opportunity to rise above the other in-store range options. HTH

Defender968
08-07-2010, 09:47
Peregrino I agree with you it’s not a perfect solution by any stretch. It’s not a great range, but it will do for proficiency shooting IMO. From a business /cost perspective it makes perfect sense. I read a while back that a traditional range set up costs anywhere from 200-700k, I’m betting they’ve got way less than 100K in their range, making it much more financially viable. Depending on what they carry and the price points I think it’s likely going to cut into Guns plus, Phase V, and Jims businesses. I have heard good things about Eds, but haven’t ventured over there as it’s a bit out of my way so I can’t speak from personal experience, but from what I’ve heard about Eds and my experience at Shooters both will always have business due to good pricing and good customer service. John is too good a guy, does good work and has more knowledge than the guys at BW will ever have and has decent prices on his in stock guns so I don’t think BW will hurt his business too much. I could see it putting a serious dent in Jims business though, especially if the BW guys are smart on pricing, instead of raping guys like Jims does

In terms of the ranges, the fact that you can't fire rifles at Jims range is a huge drawback to me, not to mention the fact that it's not air conditioned, I went over when I got my newest Sig just to proof it with my carry ammo, after 20 minutes I was completely drenched, and it was 1030 in the morning in May. Given the choice between Jims and BW I’ll be headed to BW, as I don’t’ have to drive on Skibo, and I can fire everything I’ve got there. The Gunsplus range is a nicer/more traditional range, but for me BW is 35 minutes closer which makes it more attractive to me.

The Reaper
08-07-2010, 13:17
I am a local, and I will verify that Ed's has the best gun prices around. His used gun prices are the lowest I have ever seen anywhere.

Jim's is a rip off, barely kept their FFL, and has a history of unsavory business practices.

Not a fan of Xe/BW, and expect that they will quickly price themselves out of business.

TR