View Full Version : New SATCOM Bird

BMT (RIP)
08-05-2010, 07:20
http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2010/08/aehf-1-milsat-may-launch-next-week.html

:munchin

BMT

mark46th
10-24-2010, 09:06
Nice. Where do they put the 2Lt's to crank the generator?

Green Light
10-24-2010, 13:55
Nice. Where do they put the 2Lt's to crank the generator?

:D

That's bigger than the old comms vans, duece-and-a-half included!

Fatum Me Ducat
11-02-2010, 03:27
"AEHF will provide tactical and strategic support to a wide variety of Army, Navy, Marine and Air Force users," said Col. Michael Sarchet, commander of the Protected Satellite Communications Group at the Space and Missile Systems Center.

"System uplinks and crosslinks will operate in the extremely high frequency (EHF) range and downlinks in the super high frequency (SHF) range."

Unless i'm missing something, these new birds seem like they're going to be more for strategic/organizational usage (ie. for pieces of equipment that allow you to pull pages) as opposed to uhf voice/data tacsat??? I'm not really seeing the tactical/boots on the ground purpose if these birds only end up operating in these bands. However, if this is indeed the case, at least it will free up some of the milstar bird segments/bandwidth allowing for more dedicated tacsat channels... Nothing like sharing a single channel with an entire joa :rolleyes:
... at least with the new throughput, maybe, just maybe there might be less bitching about how slow red side is :D