PDA

View Full Version : The real 18A


jrhunger
08-04-2010, 21:18
Hello Gentleman,

I am currently torn between officer and enlisted, I have been reading on the forums for a while in order to educate myself on the operational distinctions. After reading around for a bit I've gotten the idea that the 18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork. This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest.

My questions to you are;

1) How much time, roughly, does an officer actually spend in the field before he gets promoted out of the field.

2) At what rank, generally, does an officer stop being a real operator in the field.

3) What does an officer REALLY do in an average ODA compared to his enlisted counterparts, and NCO.

4) How does his experience/training ultimately vary. E.g. is his shooting nearly as good, can he plan a raid well, does he understand how to create an explosive out of whatever given materials. I'm sure you get the idea.

If any of these questions were answered at a reasonable length before in another thread then I apologize that I didn't see it (though I did look). I know there are places that discuss 18A responsibilities but what I'm reading here tends to dispute most of those claims, so I would like to set things straight.

Thank you, I would appreciate any knowledge you can share.

-Jarek

blue02hd
08-04-2010, 22:00
The 18A is responsible for everything that does or does not happen on an ODA. He is expected to lead, mentor, plan, influence and shoot straight from the moment he steps on a team to the moment his team is ripped away from him.

jrhunger
08-04-2010, 23:35
I'm sorry if I poorly worded what I meant when I said, "18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork." What I intended by that was that, I have read frequently on this site that, that is there two primary jobs. I thought that seemed false, which is why I posted this. "This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest."

I am sorry if I mis-interpreted what I read from others on the forum. I see that I clearly need to do more research than I have. I have already learned from your post, and I am grateful for your input. I will research any further questions better. Sorry for the mis-understanding, I will be better.

-Jarek

1stindoor
08-05-2010, 06:39
Hello Gentleman,
I am currently torn between officer and enlisted, I have been reading on the forums for a while in order to educate myself on the operational distinctions. After reading around for a bit I've gotten the idea that the 18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork.

A good 18A never just "tags along"...he leads...he leads from the front and he leads in conjunction with the Team Sgt, who makes things happen.

This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest.

A well grounded 18A, realizes that he is the "new guy" on the team and tries to learn from his NCOs.

My questions to you are;
1) How much time, roughly, does an officer actually spend in the field before he gets promoted out of the field.

A team leader usually gets between 18 months and 36 months on an ODA. If he's truly fortunate he may get more than one team.

2) At what rank, generally, does an officer stop being a real operator in the field.
A Cpt is a Team Leader, a Maj is a Company Commander, a LtC is a Bn Commander, a Col is a Group Commander...define a "real operator."

3) What does an officer REALLY do in an average ODA compared to his enlisted counterparts, and NCO.
You obviously haven't read enough.

4) How does his experience/training ultimately vary. E.g. is his shooting nearly as good, can he plan a raid well, does he understand how to create an explosive out of whatever given materials. I'm sure you get the idea.
Review the answer above.

The Reaper
08-05-2010, 06:53
You have not read well enough, or searched enough. Your understanding of the 18A info is inaccurate. Your laziness is not a requirement for QPs to answer questions already addressed elsewhere. You want something to read? Search and read "A Message to Garcia".

Back to reading and do not start any more threads till you are ready to sign a contract. You are several years from that at age 17.

Everything you are asking has already been answered here, in detail. Use some initiative to find it.

Best of luck.

TR

jrhunger
08-05-2010, 19:46
Thank you all for you input. I will stop posting for a year or 2 if that is what you want.

The Reaper
08-05-2010, 20:02
Thank you all for you input. I will stop posting for a year or 2 if that is what you want.

You are 17 years old, and need to wait a few years before worrying about what you want to try and become.

Work on your grades, be a kid, enjoy life.

Your SA is poor, you have insulted the 18As here already, you might want to stop creating new threads or posting further until you get a feel for the site, do some reading, and have an original question to ask. Unless you have read all of the relevant threads already.

What was the lesson of the reading I asked you to do, BTW?

If these sort of new threads from our new members continue, we can raise the minimum age to post to 18 and increase the wait to post to a week or more.

Whatever it takes to stop the pain and ignorance.

TR

jrhunger
08-06-2010, 01:40
Sirs,

I would like to formally apologize for anyone I may have insulted, I mis-interpreted what I read and I am sorry.

The lesson from "A Message to Garcia" is the value of someone who will accomplish difficult tasks without objecting, asking questions, or requesting help.

That article was eye opening, thank you very much for showing me that. I see the error in my ways. I will only ask questions if it is truly necessary (there is no information on it on the forum or on the internet) in which case I assume it would be welcomed, as it is a legitimate, valid question; and one that others may be wondering about as well.

Again, thank you.

-Jarek

The Reaper
08-06-2010, 07:32
Sirs,

I would like to formally apologize for anyone I may have insulted, I mis-interpreted what I read and I am sorry.

The lesson from "A Message to Garcia" is the value of someone who will accomplish difficult tasks without objecting, asking questions, or requesting help.

That article was eye opening, thank you very much for showing me that. I see the error in my ways. I will only ask questions if it is truly necessary (there is no information on it on the forum or on the internet) in which case I assume it would be welcomed, as it is a legitimate, valid question; and one that others may be wondering about as well.

Again, thank you.

-Jarek

Jarek:

Now you get it.

Well said.

TR

Utah Bob
08-12-2010, 16:01
Study hard young Jedi.
Much to learn you have.