PDA

View Full Version : Propagation Alert: Will it hit Earth?

BMT (RIP)
08-03-2010, 17:22
http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2010/08/propagation-alert-will-it-hit-earth.html

bmt

JJ_BPK
08-03-2010, 18:07

bmt

I think I read where Ben Franklin observed something similar to this while he was doing his kite experiments,,, Knocked his WII out for a week...

Seriously, Is this capable of doing EMD damage to electronics on the ground or permanent satellite damage or just temporary sat communication interruptions????

High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Radio communications by way of the ionosphere may become degraded soon after the CME arrives, and the degraded conditions may last for up to three days.

Do we still bounce transmissions off the ionosphere?? My old man DX'd. When he pass away we got rid of SQL cards from all over the World.

Inquiring minds want to know???

:munchin:munchin:munchin:munchin

2018commo
08-03-2010, 18:35
Just finished "One Second After" on an Island served only by Boat and Air, now a solar storm...hmmmm.

albeham
08-03-2010, 19:38
Living here in MD, I might see it.. The End is Near!!!!

AL

The Reaper
08-03-2010, 20:37
Well, unless I missed something in class, at least we are not on the side of the Earth getting the direct hit now.

I understand that it wraps, somewhat, but that beats being in the line of fire.

TR

Red Flag 1
08-03-2010, 20:50
The Sun is very interesting in that to the naked eye, it just looks like a big bright globe just sitting in space, minding its own business, however when seen through special equipment, what looks like a peaceful ball turns into a raging monster, spewing all sorts of stuff into space.

The Sun sounds like a Democrat.

Expect gore to tell obama to blame President Bush if anything bad happens.

Joking aside, 2012 is the next predicted Solar Flare Cycle. If I recall correctly, the last prediction was for a rather quiet cycle. Does this event hold any predictave value for the 2012 Solar cycle?

RF 1

2018commo
08-04-2010, 04:31

"The latest estimates are that the plasma will arrive in four waves, one at 3 a.m. Wednesday, one at 1 p.m. Wednesday, one at 8 p.m. Wednesday, and one at 2 a.m. Thursday, said David Aguilar, a spokesman for the Harvard-Smithsonian center.

There is a three-hour window of uncertainty both before and after those target times, he said, because the speed of the waves is not constant.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/03/spectacular-northern-lights-signals-sun-waking/

"The solar particles also could affect satellites, though scientists think that possibility is remote. Orbital Sciences Corp. believe a similar blast may have knocked its Galaxy 15 satellite permanently out of action this year.

This type of solar event has both government officials and satellite manufacturers worrying.

NASA scientists warned recently that high-energy electric pulses from the sun could cripple our electrical grid for years, causing billions in damages. In fact, the House is so concerned that the Energy and Commerce committee voted unanimously to approve a bill allocating $100 million to protect the energy grid from this rare but potentially devastating occurrence."

Well I have lights, internet and cell coverage, should have brought along a six meter rig. Thanks to TR and the others who recomended "One Second After", I have some work to do on my PACE after vacation.

incarcerated
08-04-2010, 09:00
The Sun sounds like a Democrat.

...or an ex-wife....

:D

mugwump
08-04-2010, 10:01
This coronal mass ejection (CME) should be benign. A very large one, on par with what NASA infers hit the Earth in 1859, would bathe the entire planet in a multi-megavolt/m EMP (say 5000k V/m) wave that lasts for several minutes. The Starfish Prime space burst that blew out streetlamps hundreds of miles away in Hawaii was about 5.6k V/m. Standard modern warheads produce approximately 50k V/m and it's speculated the we and the Russians have EMP bombs that produce 1000-2000k V/m, but the pulse lasts for miliseconds, not the multiple minutes of a large CME wavefront.

A 5000k V/m CME would fry every transformer and electrical component in the world. For all intents and purposes, no more transportation, communications, or agriculture. I've seen models that show that world population would crash to less than 50-100 million souls. This is not something I prepare for btw. :)

And people wonder why SETI doesn't hear anything. The universe is a dangerous neighborhood.