Last hard class
08-03-2010, 01:00
New Discovery Show:

Premieres Aug 18th.

Promo:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/surviving-the-cut-surviving-the-cut-promo.html

More details:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/surviving-the-cut/listings/

Looks interesting. Time to load up on the chips and beer.

LHC

18C4V
08-03-2010, 01:09
lol,
I wonder if it's just going to show past footage from previous discovery shows. Nontheless, I'll watch it when I come back since I'll be arching hard:D

greenberetTFS
08-03-2010, 06:06
Looks interesting,I think I'll watch it.................;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Saoirse
08-03-2010, 08:01
Ditto, what Big Teddy said!
Always fun to watch stuff like that and the something obtuse like "Oh ...tchya, I could do that!" LOL j/k I have a lot a respect for anyone who can get thru that sort of training.

Last hard class
08-12-2010, 17:50
lol,
I wonder if it's just going to show past footage from previous discovery shows. Nontheless, I'll watch it when I come back since I'll be arching hard:D

Typical Sky God response. Just the mention of a little hard work and it's off to find blue sky:D

You will never hear a bubble butt try to get out of an honest days labor with some lame excuse like "sorry sir, we will be unable to make the artic training, we have a requal scheduled in Key west" Oh wait...:)

I was recently informed there will be many new painful facial expressions. Not sure if it is old unseen footage or new.

Ah, the not so good old days. The older I get get the more I tend to remember the good times and forget the bad. These shows make me smile and remind me there was also an element of suck. I almost feel sorry for the young guys. Almost.

LHC

Dozer523
08-12-2010, 20:52
Looks interesting,I think I'll watch it.................;)

Big Teddy :munchin I liked the tree landing at the end. All those "ohshit noises" before impact. Sort of a universal language.

Pete
08-13-2010, 05:35
I liked the tree landing at the end. All those "ohshit noises" before impact. Sort of a universal language.

It was daylight. Wherever you are in the land of tall pines you can find a hole to drop into during daylight - as long as you have a toggle chute. Looks to me like he had DZ fixation and at the last minute "Oh, crap, I ain't gonna make it!"

At about 400 feet you need to take a hard look at the edge of the DZ and holes around you - but then that comes with experience.

Dragbag036
08-13-2010, 08:04
I have set my FIOS to tape the series. My son will love to watch it when he is home from The Point. Thanks for the information.

rdret1
08-13-2010, 08:35
It was daylight. Wherever you are in the land of tall pines you can find a hole to drop into during daylight - as long as you have a toggle chute. Looks to me like he had DZ fixation and at the last minute "Oh, crap, I ain't gonna make it!"

At about 400 feet you need to take a hard look at the edge of the DZ and holes around you - but then that comes with experience.

Always different when you go into a tree in the dark! Pine tree limbs have quite a lot of spring to them.

Dozer523
08-15-2010, 08:26
My life is good and St Michael the Archangel has my back . . .

Came home from back to school shopping last night (the knucklee-baller is a cheapee but. . . the Little Dude --8YO, 3rd grade is growing into a clothes horse "Whatdayamean Sears, Dad? I think Holster is cool")
Anyway . . .
Bright Center's (17YO D) boyfriend's car is in the drive. (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
I walk in and they are on the couch and they are WATCHING Surviving the Cut!
"Sir, (oh YEAH!) BCMU tells me you are a Green Beret."
"I am a Special Forces Soldier, yes"
"Sir, did you go through this?"
"Wellllll . . . It was a number of years ago but, yes, there were similarities."
"Sir, well, this is pretty amazing (hear that BCMU? --so by extention I must be pretty amazing.)
Boy friend notices "it's getting late and I have work tomorrow, good night BCMU, good night SIR"

Little dude wanted to know, "Did you barf that much?" NO.

Of course My Reason For Living will not allow me to gloat too long. . . "You went to the Q-course, like 25 years ago. How was it "similar"?
HEY! It WAS at Camp MacKall and there WAS Land Nav.:D:D:p:p

Utah Bob
08-15-2010, 08:53
Always different when you go into a tree in the dark! Pine tree limbs have quite a lot of spring to them.

Fence posts don't though.;)

CSB
08-18-2010, 08:42
Since when did the Ranger School start wearing life vests for the rope drop?
And install a cute little OSHA approved cage for the ladder to the top? With steel handrails? :rolleyes:

I guess about time somebody pulled the barbed wire out from under the (now-called) Nasty Nick.
And added hockey helmets, and safety glasses.

:p

Yeah, wasn't like the olden days ...

Bushranger
08-18-2010, 10:35
Since when RI´s don´t have camo on their faces during walks? I always seriously
enjoyed how they did set an example in most of the events and rules, compared to my army instructors. Well, as I am watching that again, not even the students do it... is it because in ACU´s it´s worthless anyway?

Last hard class
08-19-2010, 15:07
And install a cute little OSHA approved cage for the ladder to the top? With steel handrails? :rolleyes:

Spring of 1992 a student fell to his death while trying to grab the handle for the slide for life. The cage arrived soon after.

Typical military response. IMO taking the risk out of it lessens the obstacle's effectiveness.

18C4V
08-19-2010, 17:01
Brought back lots of memories.....they should have showed the the Mount Yonah forced march between lower and higher mountains!!!! and the guys droning and falling of the mountains!!!

Dragbag036
08-19-2010, 17:40

I guess about time somebody pulled the barbed wire out from under the (now-called) Nasty Nick.
And added hockey helmets, and safety glasses.

:p

Yeah, wasn't like the olden days ...

And why were they not shaking the crap out of the Log Walk, Rope Drop, etc...I remember all of us being on that ladder from bottom to top waiting for the jackass in front to move out "kiss my tab Ranger"

Ewok
08-19-2010, 20:23
My husband and I watched this last night. From a purely I've-never-been-there-or-done-that point of view it was entertaining and interesting. I grew up in the shadow of Yonah and camping in the National Forest around Merril. It's always interesting to see home.
Thank you all for this thread!

boots1933
09-01-2010, 20:58
Next weeks "Surviving the Cut" (Sept 08) is about Combat Dive School. The preview/trailer specifically stated Ranger and Green Beret participants so I figured I'd post it here for those who may be interested.

Have a relaxing Labor Day everyone.

~ND

Maytime
09-01-2010, 22:01
One of my buddies was present during the filming of one of the shows, and he said, "I never liked seeing the Discovery Channel folks because it meant something bad was about to happen."

CSB
09-02-2010, 15:50
Yeah, and there was snow every day, and the rain when it wasn't snowing, that's the ticket; and when it wasn't snowing or raining it was 100 degrees and Heat Category IV, and our rucks weighted 60, no 70, no 80 pounds -- did I say pounds? I mean kilograms. :p

wet dog
09-08-2010, 23:55
Just watched the SF Combat Dive cource episode, (class 03-10), happy to report, it was well done. The level of professionalism by the cadre and students alike, no surprise there. Hats off to the few who reported only days after returning from Iraq and A-stan.

I sleep better knowing my younger brothers have tonights watch, thanks fellas, God bless you and your families.

Wet Dog

Last hard class
09-09-2010, 00:29
The level of professionalism by the cadre and students alike, no surprise there.

Concur.

Things have certainly changed since I went through. Mostly for the better from what I saw. We didn't have our hands and feet tied back then. And that pool is ginormous! I got a little uncomfortable just watching those guys.

Tying it all together with the mission was awesome.

The little lady had a hard time picturing me in size 29 UDT shorts.:D

LHC

SFSalRet08
09-09-2010, 03:31
Yes, I also just caught a gimps of the Combat Dive episode (3-10). MSG Reed and I had entered SF together. I was fortunate to have him there reading my farewell at my retirement ceremony out of Special Forces Underwater Operations (SFUWO), Key West, Florida. The show did really well showing future combat divers what they are in for. See that episode had me missing the days as a SFUWO dive instructor. Every year since I have retired (which has not been that long) I return to Key West to see the school, buddies, and catch a class going through. Great job guys! Keep them combat divers coming. The lard day way yesterday!

SF_BHT
09-09-2010, 03:54
Missed it due to work. If anyone finds it posted onthe web let me know.......

Glad to hear they did a good job covering the course....

SFSalRet08
09-09-2010, 05:11
SF_BHT,
I have been watching it on uTube, and discover.com. Give it a look. Just put in Surviving the Cut in the search box.

Happy hunting

SFSalRet08

Missed it due to work. If anyone finds it posted onthe web let me know.......

Glad to hear they did a good job covering the course....

1stindoor
09-09-2010, 06:53
I watched it with my son, had to explain the differences between my class 17 years ago and now...surprisingly very little. But what was really great was seeing those smiling faces after the one man comp...and knowing exactly how they felt at that exact moment.

I thought they did a great job...makes me want to plan a trip down there.

wet dog
09-09-2010, 08:56
What I liked best about the episode was the fact it wasn't a day-to-day, drawn out "reality" episode.

We see the students, well prepared, ready to go. Week one, confidence testing - pool time, .......jump to week five, insertion, movement, target, exfil.

Lesson here is for those soon to attend SFAS, Special Forces has patterns in our behavior, (1) "We train prepared soldiers". It is evident that the students were already strong swimmers and getting ready is not easy when you have other ODA responsibilities. (2) Respect for each other, cadre and instruction. No false motivation, no yelling or harassment, just excellent training and instruction. (3) Set high standards, marginal performance is not acceptable, at the end of the day, performance counts.

1stindoor
09-09-2010, 09:23
Agreed. As a long time diver and eventually a team sergeant on a dive team I used to tell others that it's just one more skill to be put into the rucksack. Failure does not mean you are any less of an asset as a commo guy, medic, engineer, etc...it just means water isn't your preferred environment.

I mean if it was easy...they'd call it HALO :D:munchin

Razor
09-10-2010, 21:27

That show confirmed my belief that I'm far more comfortable on the running end of lead climb rope, even on a second pitch, than I would be trying to learn to grow gills.

SFSalRet08
09-11-2010, 00:45
I can agree as well. A prepared student was a successful student. I can remember myself going through Pre-Scuba and getting a firsthand taste at what was to come. The days of pre-scuba (from what I know) are long gone. When I was an instructor we were getting guys that were just back from deployment form one of the Stan’s or Iraq. Way unprepared, and no knowledge as what was going on, BIG heart, but little knowledge. I can say that we were being told that some ODA’s were throwing strong swimmer courses when they had the time, and a pool was available. That was a good thing to hear. SFUWO had moved from a 4 week course (while I was there) to a six week course, stressing the basic the first week and a half. We would basically do a pre-scuba there, giving student a good shot at completing the course. Of course you would have guys quitting before they really gave us a chance to teach them the techniques. And really that’s all it was, because once you had the techniques down all the water skills were a breeze. Now dive table and book studies were all on the student. Either you could learn or you couldn’t. But I can tell you many a nights I would stay after to help those who wanted and needed help. As most of the other instructors would do the same, in the pool or in the class room. It is a very challenging course and I would recommend going to just about anyone who was in group. I am glad that they are now airing the special school’s out there so more men could see what they are getting themselves into before they go. Because IMHO going all the way to Key West, (or any other destination to train) and quit is a BIG waste of time!

18C4V
09-11-2010, 12:07
Agreed. As a long time diver and eventually a team sergeant on a dive team I used to tell others that it's just one more skill to be put into the rucksack. Failure does not mean you are any less of an asset as a commo guy, medic, engineer, etc...it just means water isn't your preferred environment.

LOL,
Hey jumping out at 25,000 is hard work...:D...

GSquared
09-15-2010, 11:35
lol,

Hey I saw a guy that we know on the Diver episode.

1stindoor
09-15-2010, 12:54
LOL,
Hey jumping out at 25,000 is hard work...:D...

pssst...between me and you...and don't tell the other divers...I always wanted to go to HALO school. Just makes a youngin' that much more marketable.

Nightfall
09-15-2010, 12:59
My wife and I have been watching it, really good show. Funny, she said,"I thought the military was yelling and screaming at you all the time! These guys are almost nice to them!" :D

GSquared
09-15-2010, 13:05
My wife and I have been watching it, really good show. Funny, she said,"I thought the military was yelling and screaming at you all the time! These guys are almost nice to them!" :D

Hell, the Diver course looked hard enough without them getting yelled at. The stress test looked so crazy

Nightfall
09-15-2010, 13:16
Hell, the Diver course looked hard enough without them getting yelled at. The stress test looked so crazy

Amen to that. One of those everytime they went underwater, I found myself holding my breath! I think tonights episode is EOD.

Ret10Echo
09-15-2010, 16:33

All the stress at HALO school is self-induced. I didn't have to yell...they just stared out the back of the aircraft and imploded all on their own.

Our job was to make sure that silver handle came out at the correct altitude, regardless of who did the pullin' :D

Box
09-15-2010, 21:31
Our job was to make sure that silver handle came out at the correct altitude, regardless of who did the pullin' :D

...hell, all I did most of the time was "watch" everyone else work.

Ret10Echo
09-16-2010, 04:14
...hell, all I did most of the time was "watch" everyone else work.

But you were the "Bestest" watcher-looker :D

1stindoor
09-16-2010, 06:39
Reminds me of an old joke a HALO guy once told me....

Most of my jumps are night/water...

Because my eyes are closed and I'm pi$$ing myself.

dennisw
09-16-2010, 08:29
Watched the episode last night about the Navy EOD school. Boy those guys sure run some realistic training missions. :rolleyes:

1stindoor
09-16-2010, 09:26
I missed that one. I'll have to look it up.

ZonieDiver
09-16-2010, 09:53
I missed that one. I'll have to look it up.

I was teaching a "pre-scuba" class last night (teaching a couple to swim well enough to complete the "watermanship assesssment") and tuned in late. I only caught the end when they went into "classified mode" of their last excercise.

The only part that bothered me was when the two guys they left outside to pull security (as the rest of the team went into the bunker) fournd an "IRL" and started to disarm it. I wondered who was pulling security then...

dennisw
09-16-2010, 11:03
The last part was hard to watch. One item was their tactical movement on foot from point A to point B. They basically walked down the middle of a road with zero left/right security. I didn't see any point element to their formation. It looked more like a Sunday stroll. I do not believe there was a Op or patrol order created or issued. More of a "let's go boys."

They also had a mission of intercepting a van which contained pow's and explosives. They parked their four Humvee's off the road about 2 meters and in plain sight. They parked them all right next to one another. No cover, no tactical formation. Looked like they pulled into a movie parking lot to catch the matinee feature. They then watched the van roll by within 2 meters of their position, apparently identified it and all four Humvee took off after it. One went in front, one to the side and two behind. Kind of like watching a LEO arrest someone on Cops. I guess they have never heard of a VBIED. One guy jumps out and there's a bad guy around four feet from him with a AK 47 pointed at him. Our hero just continued to moved towards and secure the bad guy as if the idea of getting shot wasn't an option. I'm not sure as to the point of this exercise.

Afterward, they were raving about their performance. "Everyone came home alive!" is how they described it.

EverlACEting
09-16-2010, 12:46
I recently had the pleasure of working with some stellar EOD folks (Army type) during my deployment. My platoon would often serve as security for these folks. We had a clear understanding of one another's role. As far as overall security, we infantry knuckle-draggers were in charge. When it came to the device or UXO along the road, EOD was in charge. When the situation dictated we made it clear that they are shooters first and tactically we included them in rehearsals and briefs prior to patrols and missions. This latest “Surviving the cut” was not as "flashy" as some of the ones past, but Lord knows when there is an 8-inch plate sitting in a canal I wouldn't want anyone else outside the wire with me... I'm sure most of us can agree on that.

GSquared
09-16-2010, 16:12
Boy those guys sure run some realistic training missions. :rolleyes:

Realistic like "The Hurt Locker"? :D:D

GSquared
09-16-2010, 16:19
I recently had the pleasure of working with some stellar EOD folks (Army type) during my deployment. My platoon would often serve as security for these folks. We had a clear understanding of one another's role. As far as overall security, we infantry knuckle-draggers were in charge. When it came to the device or UXO along the road, EOD was in charge. When the situation dictated we made it clear that they are shooters first and tactically we included them in rehearsals and briefs prior to patrols and missions. This latest “Surviving the cut” was not as "flashy" as some of the ones past, but Lord knows when there is an 8-inch plate sitting in a canal I wouldn't want anyone else outside the wire with me... I'm sure most of us can agree on that.

The team I deployed with had three Navy EOD guys. Stellar men, they were.

cornelyj
09-16-2010, 21:12
Watching the episode last night I noticed by the pool all the candidates were drinking or had bottles of green tea or sweet tea in gallon jugs. This makes sense for hydration obviously but why green/sweet tea? Is there something with sugar levels, blood pressure, heart rate for a need for this by the pool?

My first guess was that it probably tastes allot better than pool chemicals they are also probably up-taking?
Just wondering.

Last hard class
09-16-2010, 22:23
Watching the episode last night I noticed by the pool all the candidates were drinking or had bottles of green tea or sweet tea in gallon jugs. This makes sense for hydration obviously but why green/sweet tea? Is there something with sugar levels, blood pressure, heart rate for a need for this by the pool?

My first guess was that it probably tastes allot better than pool chemicals they are also probably up-taking?
Just wondering.

When I went through (almost 25 years ago) it was gatorade. Couldn't down it fast enough. You cannot believe how dehydrated you are after the long infil dives.

Fin hard mister!

LHC

Counsel
09-17-2010, 13:36
The other night I saw the RECON episode. In it there was a Senior NCO that I think was an Instructor. Regardless, that NCO from time to time was showed to be encouraging and motivating the candidates. I am no soldier so I have no idea, but I thought that in these types of schools the candidate had to be self motivated as part of the whole selection process. So, I would think that any external motivation would defeat the purpose of evaluating the true motivation of an individual.

Any thoughts from the people that have been there and done that?

SFSalRet08
09-19-2010, 04:35

Just wondering.

Cornelyj,
As a former instructor from SFUWO I can tell you it was not Green Tea. You are right about it being a gallon jug. Beside the Hawaiian Punch jug, the Green tea jug comes in a gallon size. We stressed the importance of hydration to the students at all time. One could not just drink straight water or and straight Gatorade was too much as well. The DMO there had instructed us instructors to have the students do a 50/50 mix. Let’s say it took 4 scoops to make a gallon of Gatorade. We had them only use 2 scoops. The students were never allowed to be without their jugs. Only during said training did they not have to have it. But walking or running around they had to have it with them at all times. Good question and nice observation.

SFSalRet08