PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Hardware recommendations

LibraryLady
08-02-2010, 10:28
Here's the situation.

We're on cable for the Internets. Requirement of someone's job. So the wireless modem sits in the "office"/bedroom. If you draw a straight line from there to where the desktop/family computer sits you go through several walls including two with plumbing - hence no wireless signal at the desktop.

Looking at adding a repeater to 'bend' the signal so we're not stuck using the laptop in the living room all the time.

Wireless router = Linksys WRT150N Wireless N home router made by Cisco.
Antenna on desktop = D-Link DWA-130 Multi-band

So. Suggestions on repeater brand for home use and also should we set up all the wireless stuff as a single brand. Looked around a bit on da 'Nets and home repeaters are uncommon enough that it was hard to find definitive comparison reviews.

ETA: Or should we scrap the whole repeater idea altogether and figure out how to hardwire... :lifter

Thanks for all youse guys help in advance!

LL

Dan
08-02-2010, 12:05
Hardwiring is quite easy and would provide you the best signal, but since you already have a wireless router you might want to try enhancing it's wireless signal with a parabolic booster. My homemade version works through one wall, then over 200 yards including a few trees, and through another wall into a seperate house.

- You can try tinfoil or any wire mesh you have laying around, but my best signal was achieved using 1/4" wire mesh; it's usually sold in a yard width so get a foot or so section
- Use wire snips to cut out pieces for each antenna; about 6" x 6" or so depending on antenna heights
- Fold mesh pieces into a half moon and position them in place with the antenna in the center of the half moon as shown in the attached image (I set mine down a little lower to use the entire antenna length than the picture shows). The center piece that the antena goes through can be foam, wood, etc as long as it's not metal.
- Aim the enhancers in the general direction of the area you want the signal boosted towards.

JJ_BPK
08-02-2010, 12:13
Here's the situation.

We're on cable for the Internets. Requirement of someone's job. So the wireless modem sits in the "office"/bedroom. If you draw a straight line from there to where the desktop/family computer sits you go through several walls including two with plumbing - hence no wireless signal at the desktop.

Looking at adding a repeater to 'bend' the signal so we're not stuck using the laptop in the living room all the time.

Wireless router = Linksys WRT150N Wireless N home router made by Cisco.
Antenna on desktop = D-Link DWA-130 Multi-band

So. Suggestions on repeater brand for home use and also should we set up all the wireless stuff as a single brand. Looked around a bit on da 'Nets and home repeaters are uncommon enough that it was hard to find definitive comparison reviews.

ETA: Or should we scrap the whole repeater idea altogether and figure out how to hardwire... :lifter

Thanks for all youse guys help in advance!

LL

Before you spend $$ & get into the repeater business..

Try your laptop at a friends house and see if you get reception where they get it.

There have been reported and unreported failures to receive because the antenna was engineered incorrectly.

IBM Had a ThinkPad in around 2000 that had miserable reception. After all the yelling,, it turned out to be the antenna,, it was routed BEHIND the case frame and this caused big problems. The next model they fixed the problem and touted the NEW & IMPROVED wireless chip set..

Apples Ipad 4 has a similar problem, only it brakes the antenna wire because of case flex..

This may not be your problem, but if it is buying a repeater is not going to fix reception..

Although Linksys is a leading seller,, it is not the leading quality in the router market. Additionally mixing Linksys & D-Link gear can produce problems.. Either or both will intensionally do "thinkings" to not be compatible..

I prefer D-Link's DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LIFB7S/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

And lastly,, Run a wire thru the cellar from the BR to the Office, You get full speed and cost is under 20 USD..

http://www.amazon.com/50ft-cat6-Ethernet-Cable-Router/dp/B001OUW1RA

My $00.0002

Good luck..

LongWire
08-02-2010, 14:45
Apples Ipad 4 has a similar problem, only it brakes the antenna wire because of case flex..

Don't you mean the iPhone 4?

JJ_BPK
08-02-2010, 15:14
Don't you mean the iPhone 4?

Probably,, I don't apple..

lindy
08-02-2010, 15:45
Here's a free program (scanner) that I use to check MY signal and other 2.4GHz sources of interference. You could confirm/deny the signal strength.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

You can even attach a GPS and download the results to Google Earth...if that would ever be needed. :D

HTH.

Snaquebite
08-02-2010, 16:27
Hardwiring is quite easy and would provide you the best signal, but since you already have a wireless router you might want to try enhancing it's wireless signal with a parabolic booster. My homemade version works through one wall, then over 200 yards including a few trees, and through another wall into a seperate house.

- You can try tinfoil or any wire mesh you have laying around, but my best signal was achieved using 1/4" wire mesh; it's usually sold in a yard width so get a foot or so section
- Use wire snips to cut out pieces for each antenna; about 6" x 6" or so depending on antenna heights
- Fold mesh pieces into a half moon and position them in place with the antenna in the center of the half moon as shown in the attached image (I set mine down a little lower to use the entire antenna length than the picture shows). The center piece that the antena goes through can be foam, wood, etc as long as it's not metal.
- Aim the enhancers in the general direction of the area you want the signal boosted towards.

Dan,
Is the mesh attached to something? Looks like it has a cardboard front or sosmething....

LibraryLady
08-02-2010, 19:37
Thanks Dan,

I got this link, http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html from someone else - they advised putting one on each end.

JJ_BPK - house is on a cement pad, attic is stuffed full of blown in insulation and to boot, the place is a rental. Thanks for the affirmation about brands, though, that's what we've been wondering - we'll upgrade the router to D-Link, I think it'll be worth it.

Once we get into owning, we'll definitely be hardwiring the whole house. Wireless can be such a pain!

lindy, thanks for the link. umm... you're stretching the limits of my geekiness, I'm sure it'll help me, but I just need to understand why it will help me! ;)

LL

Dan
08-02-2010, 19:37
Dan,
Is the mesh attached to something? Looks like it has a cardboard front or sosmething....

It's foam that has been spray painted; the foam assists with keeping the antenna at the required stand-off. The antenna can't be right up against the metal. You'll get the idea from the attached image that basically shows a top view; the parabolic focus in the image is where the antenna needs to be located or near to it. The stand off and being centered is key for success.

lindy
08-02-2010, 19:55
why[/I] it will help me! ;)

LL

I live in a condo with several neighbors who also have wireless connections. My girls' laptops would sometimes connect with a strong signal then drop out and random times. I couldn't figure it out. I downloaded that survey tool to see what the RF environment was like. I noticed that there were several Verizon routers in my location: all set to the SAME default channel 11.

I found that the lower channels were "occupied" but had a lower signal strength. I changed the channel of my router and haven't had any problems since.

I highly recommend changing the default password to your wireless router once you get it set up. You would not believe how many people leave it as admin.

Dan
08-02-2010, 20:09
I highly recommend changing the default password to your wireless router once you get it set up. You would not believe how many people leave it as admin.

That's a given, but good to remind people. I'd recommend doing the following at a minimum; especially since you'll be boosting signal.

-Ensure Router firmware is up to date
-Change default admin passwords and username
-Turn on (Compatible) WPA / WEP encryption depending on router
-Change network name (called the SSID)
-Enable MAC address filtering and only add addresses you have
-Disable SSID broadcast

LibraryLady
08-03-2010, 09:26
... I changed the channel of my router ... ... changing the default password to your wireless router...

-Ensure Router firmware is up to date
-Change default admin passwords and username
-Turn on (Compatible) WPA / WEP encryption depending on router
-Change network name (called the SSID)
-Enable MAC address filtering and only add addresses you have
-Disable SSID broadcast

Thanks for additional info - we do all that as we've lived in apts before but it's good to put out for other people to know.

LL

Draco771
08-15-2010, 23:22
If the above doesn't work, you can get a small Switch, or purchase an Active Hub.

Active Hub would be cheaper. Essentially, it recieves the signal, and than boosts the signal for the remaining distance.

A switch will do the same, only it'll boost it for multiple computers/routes.

A switch will be around $30-70. and a Hub will be around $15-30. Just make sure it's either an Active Hub, or an Intelligent hub.

I'm not good at all with improvising antenna's etc. like the QPs on this board, but Networking Hardware is one of the things I'm required to learn in my program.

It all depends on how many computers you're talking about. Easiest way above all, is just get some fiber optic cables, route them along the edges of your cieling to the designated areas. Put some cardboard in place and paint it to obscure it. and have a direct feed. However, doing so, I'd recommend an intelligent hub to boost the signal through the cables.

but you can go wireless, or regular with hubs/switches.

The hub/switch will route the information/data into the router on all recieving end of your SOHO.

If you wouldn't mind providing mroe specific information as to what you're looking for, I can get more specific towards brands of specific hardware/specific devices etc.

Note: Fiber Optic Cables are a lot more expensive than ethernet cables. However, Fiber Optics cables will exponentially increase the rate at which information is fed from the modem to your router, and from router to your computer and the rest of your in-home network.

Active/Intelligent hubs with Fiber Optic cables will exponentially increase internet connectivity throughout your network. However, it will be expensive using fiber optics. And they do have a few tricks to them. but if you "have to" go wireless, do fiber optics from modem to router, and then work an Active or Intelligent hub in the middle of your hallway to recieve the signal, and the hub will transmit to the other computers on the other side of the house.

You can also mount one in a stair well to and on a downstairs cieling if you have one to boost signal across your entire house.

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 00:30
It should also be noted that, for whatever reason, channels 1 and 10 on most wireless routers tend to have bad signal quality, IMO. Try switching to channel 9...might get your signal strength up a bit.

CSB
08-16-2010, 15:09
The stand off and being centered is key for success.

Dan, it sounds like you also make improvised shaped charges :)

Draco771
08-16-2010, 18:29
Something just dawned on me.

Regarding INTSEC (Internet Security)

If you're doing wireless internet, I'd strongly recommend looking into Internet Security Devices. Wireless Internet connections are the easiest to break into.

You can get Intelligent hubs with Wireless Security features pre-installed in them. Essentially it encrypts the signal between the modem, router, to the recieving computers. Only the comps with the devices and/or frequency software required will have access to the info. at least off the bat anyway.

Firewalls only work for the specific computer from outside influence, it does not protect against others dropping into the signal itself. Think of a "phone tap" for instance.

Just something to think about depending what kind of information your husband is sending/recieving via your home based business over a wireless network.

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 18:35
Being a responsible network security professional and all, there is absolutely no chance I might have done any "hacking," in my younger days, but if I had, I was probably looking for unencrypted/weakly encrypted wireless. IF I were a hacker, and saw, for instance, WPA2, using AES+TKIP, I know that Aircrack will take forever-and-a-day to crack anything...and the neighbor is probably running WEP (5 minutes to crack, and you'd be amazed how many ISPs still ship hardware with WEP enabled by default.)

I wouldn't worry about spending the extra money on specialized devices. Personally, WPA2, AES+TKIP, MAC filtering, hidden SSID. Remember...a "professional," will still get in if they want...you don't need to be bulletproof...just moreso than the guy next door.

Draco771
08-16-2010, 19:00
Being a responsible network security professional and all, there is absolutely no chance I might have done any "hacking," in my younger days, but if I had, I was probably looking for unencrypted/weakly encrypted wireless. IF I were a hacker, and saw, for instance, WPA2, using AES+TKIP, I know that Aircrack will take forever-and-a-day to crack anything...and the neighbor is probably running WEP (5 minutes to crack, and you'd be amazed how many ISPs still ship hardware with WEP enabled by default.)

I wouldn't worry about spending the extra money on specialized devices. Personally, WPA2, AES+TKIP, MAC filtering, hidden SSID. Remember...a "professional," will still get in if they want...you don't need to be bulletproof...just moreso than the guy next door.

Good point, just felt like pointing something out.

Just there are Security Devices you can get for even $10 that will put your info a little bit above someone elses.

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 21:16
True dat...I take a different tactic, personally...detailed here (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=340573#post340573), but I know most aren't going to go that far.

Draco771
08-16-2010, 22:01
True dat...I take a different tactic, personally...detailed here (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=340573#post340573), but I know most aren't going to go that far.

Funny thing about hackers, is they look for the "easiest route" into a system.

If they can't get to your system directly, they can go indirectly for a signal intercept. (Technology is available to civilians now, to intercept radio and wireless network information)

It's proven the best way to get information isn't through a computer, but through the signal on the way to the computer.

but then again, that's for professionals, and not amateurs as previously stated.

I'd still look for a data encryption device, even if it only works for your end of the channel.

Hey, just curious, is it ok if I ask you some questions via PM? (that way not to thread jack?)

Either the case, it wouldn't hurt the OP to look into at least a super cheap encryption device/software. Even if just for her SOHO. That way, it really would require a professional to get the data/information being transmitted to/across her network.

LibraryLady
08-21-2010, 09:25
... Just something to think about depending what kind of information your husband is sending/recieving via your home based business over a wireless network.

Thanks for the info, Draco. The business related computer is hardwired, hence the wireless router in such a weird location of the house. The way his company requires his set up to be maintained, and he he down/up loads such massive files that wireless was out of the question. I'm just a cheapo at heart; I didn't want to have to pay for 2 computer modems from the evil empire (Comcast).

After serious input from various sources, we ended up adding an SF-produced parabolic antenna boost (foil and wire hanger style) :lifter to the router and rearranged the location of desktop computer so the wireless antenna (on a USB dongle) had a straight line through just one interior wall and 2 windows, the house is L-shaped, and we get decent signal. (can you tell the general consensus was that repeaters are not worth the effort?) :D

LL

Irishsquid
08-21-2010, 16:39
Thanks for the info, Draco. The business related computer is hardwired, hence the wireless router in such a weird location of the house. The way his company requires his set up to be maintained, and he he down/up loads such massive files that wireless was out of the question. I'm just a cheapo at heart; I didn't want to have to pay for 2 computer modems from the evil empire (Comcast).

After serious input from various sources, we ended up adding an SF-produced parabolic antenna boost (foil and wire hanger style) :lifter to the router and rearranged the location of desktop computer so the wireless antenna (on a USB dongle) had a straight line through just one interior wall and 2 windows, the house is L-shaped, and we get decent signal. (can you tell the general consensus was that repeaters are not worth the effort?) :D

LL

That's funny...I was about to send you directions for a field-expedient directional antenna ;-)

Nightfall
09-08-2010, 14:34
My 2 cents:

Nice like the one pictured previously:

http://hackaday.com/2005/02/20/a-better-wifi-antenna/

And my personal favorite, recycle your Pringles can! :

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Dad
09-08-2010, 15:31
I don't know what you call it but we had very weak signals in much of the house. Geek Squad comes out and plugs this thing into the electric outlet, comes out another electric socket and works great. Best $150 I have spent. No need to wire because uses the electric wire already there.