PDA

View Full Version : Free Elk Hunt

Buffalobob
07-29-2010, 10:32
There is a free elk hunt in North Dakota that requires no permits or licenses. It is cow elk only and will be random draw. You can apply as an individual or as a group. Hunts run all winter.

http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

I already have my hunting permits and am not free until early November to go again. I am hardcore still and my general disposition has not mellowed. I have no tolerance for laziness nor excessive stupidity. Excessive stupidity includes not knowing what an elk looks like and not being able to hit one when it is there to be shot. Laziness includes not doing camp chores and deciding to sleep in instead of getting up and going hunting. The only whining allowed is for cold and snow. I am not your wife nor mother and if you can't get through the day without some woman fixing your meals and laying out your gear then stay away from me.

Other than those things and my other general peculiarities I am easy to get along with (sometimes).

BryanK
07-29-2010, 15:25
I just filled out my application, and it sounds like a great hunt. Thank you for the link. Did you fill out multiple weeks to improve your chances of getting chosen?

Buffalobob
07-30-2010, 13:03
I am going on an archery elk hunt to Utah in August and a cow elk hunt in early October in Utah. The ND NPS hunt is more of a shooting Herefords in the pasture kind of hunt in my way of thinking. I am waiting on my son and/or another guy to decide if and when they can go. I doubt my son will be able to find out what the Q course schedule is for him during that part but if he was off for enough time around Christmas and New Years it would be doable with him. I believe by then he will be in medic classes. Of course he may well be sitting around waiting for a class to begin but who knows.

So basically I am likely to only apply for non-holiday weeks in December and or January. I suspect that ND in Dec and Jan is not camping out weather because you cannot keep water unfrozen. I have gear to camp in snow and cold but maintaining water in liquid form is a real challenge - BTDT. I expect if I get drawn I will just flea bag motel it for the week.

I also doubt that the NPS guide will let me have any fun and shoot at long range. I understand (but have not read the details) that you have to use lead free bullets. I will need to gets some Barnes and work up some loads. I used to shoot Barnes and they are OK bullets.

Its about a 26 hour drive from here so that is two long days.

TrapLine
08-02-2010, 22:31
Thanks for the link, Buffalobob. I just submitted my application for the final 4 weeks of the hunt. Good luck to all those who apply.

mark46th
08-03-2010, 22:21
The application has to be in by August 9. I will see if I can swing any of the dates posted. It would be nice to put faces to names....

BryanK
08-06-2010, 12:50
Looks like whoever gets chosen will be informed about it in late August. In the event a motel/hotel room is an requirement, here is a Link (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60973-Medora_North_Dakota-Hotels.html) to area lodging. Hope this helps.

mark46th
08-06-2010, 15:16
Thanks, I am going to put my son and I in for a week in November and one in December. I am thinking about all the walking involved. I should be able to do it but I also think that with more snow on the ground, the more concentrated the elk should be in their winter range. Maybe I should put in for the last week?!?!

mark46th
08-09-2010, 10:57
Buffalo- I put in for the 6 Dec-10 Dec week for my son and I... Maybe we will see you there...

Buffalobob
08-10-2010, 05:14
By the end of the first week there had been 7,000 applications so the odds of actually drawing out are long. But somebody has to get drawn out so we might as well hope for the best.

TrapLine
08-10-2010, 07:33
By the end of the first week there had been 7,000 applications so the odds of actually drawing out are long. But somebody has to get drawn out so we might as well hope for the best.

Ouch! I put in for the last 4 weeks thinking there might not be a lot of interest in being so close to the northern border during January. So much for that. Best of luck to you guys, I hope that someone here gets selected so we can get an AAR. The bright side of not getting selected will be not having to get monkey stomped for asking Buffalobob about non lead bullets w/o searching:D.

mark46th
08-27-2010, 18:09
The drawing has been made for the hunt. The packets were sent out Tuesday, 8/24. Below is the link to the official News Release. Buenas Suerte!!!

http://www.nps.gov/thro/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=245582