PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel's "The Colony"

FearMonkey
07-28-2010, 00:07
Did anybody catch The Discovery Channel's new survival/scenario show called The Colony? I think it's going to shape up to be an interesting show.

It seemed to me like the "survivors" didn't do too shabby of a job with some of the basics. They were able to get shelter, fire, and water quickly and easily on the first day, and if they were taking a leisurely post-apocalyptic camping retreat they might fair just fine. However, they find themselves in a scenario where security is easily just as important or perhaps MORE important than the other survival tenants. Unfortunately, I think these people are going to have a rough fifty days because I have yet to see a single one of them that has any inkling of being security minded. What are your thoughts?

Pete
07-28-2010, 04:45
Is this the rerun of the first one or a new one?

While an interesting concept the dealing with outsiders and looters is kinda' flakey. "The Colony" - if they decide to - can't really defend themselves against looters. A crossbow bolt through the heart is a little much for reality TV.

But the stress between the people as they try to figure things out is interesting.

JF86
07-28-2010, 04:58
Post #619
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=276235&highlight=colony#post276235

Once you get past all the "reality tv" bits it's not that bad. I really can't stand the ego's and security should have been at the top of there list. That I think is a problem with them (the director/creator) just "introducing" people into an environment. If they had banded together and found a place suitable for themselves in a real disaster then they would have been more keen to wanting to defend it. Also they should have had the female defense instructor cross training others early on (something is better than nothing) and had a solid defense plan.

The series does bring up some good points but I think that all the survival points have been brought up in the thread I posted above. The social dynamic is a good part of this show though. I don't think that in disaster planning we consider social problems too much in the planning phase. (Unless you're prepared thoroughly ;) )
Just my .02 :munchin

BryanK
07-28-2010, 05:47
I think some early warning devices may have helped a bit. Probably should have cached some of their supplies that weren't being immediately used. All their eggs were in one basket, therefore an easy target. Organization also leaves something to be desired. You’re in a bio/radiological environment and your suit/mask is nowhere near you even after being approached by "outsiders" earlier that day?

On a side note, I couldn't believe that they were actually hitting people with those pipes/sticks :eek:.

Richard
07-28-2010, 07:12
William Golding would be so proud of his impact upon society's viewing preferences. ;)

Richard :munchin

FearMonkey
07-28-2010, 09:22
Is this the rerun of the first one or a new one?

Well shucks... I don't know. I blame it on deployments!

It's new to me so don't tell me what happens. :o

ZonieDiver
07-28-2010, 09:28
William Golding would be so proud of his impact upon society's viewing preferences. ;)

"What was the sensible thing to do? There was no Piggy to talk sense."
:munchin

JF86
07-28-2010, 11:32
Well shucks... I don't know. I blame it on deployments!

It's new to me so don't tell me what happens. :o

Well depending on which episodes you were watching...
They just started season 2, with a whole new cast.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/bios/season-two/
See which hcharacters you recognize and that should be a good indicator as to which one you saw. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
William Golding would be so proud of his impact upon society's viewing preferences.

Richard

"What was the sensible thing to do? There was no Piggy to talk sense."

I guess from the first season Mike the "solar guy" would have been "Jack"
Attitude and maybe a little crazy! ;)

flynlead
07-28-2010, 12:49
Saw "the Colony" last night. Living near the New Orlenes area, I can tell you that in this disaster senario the survirors would not be using sticks and fire extinguishers to challenge each other---they would use guns. To make this series barely plausible the producers should have used MILES or Simunitions, or at the very least: paintball, Airsoft or BB guns.

DJ Urbanovsky
07-28-2010, 22:01
If you watched it on Tuesday, it's season two.

It's very frustrating for me to watch, but I can't seem to make myself look away. The end of the world aspect is intriguing. I know it's reality TV and thus most likely heavily scripted, but the decision making skills of the colonists leave a lot to be desired. Same thing last season.

Security was one of the biggest issues they had first season, and this season appears no different. When they let those three people leave after the first scuffle, I knew they'd be back with their buddies, and sure enough... Colonists get their asses kicked, and then lose all of their medical supplies, so they can't patch themselves up.

Then there's the running around and yelling at each other. And the fire. Tell all the natives right where you are, why don't you? Here we are. Come kick our asses.

Pete
07-29-2010, 04:43
......... To make this series barely plausible the producers should have used MILES or Simunitions, or at the very least: paintball, Airsoft or BB guns.

No can do.

That would show guns in a positive light and as a useful tool to have when the SHTF.

Big Media can just not have that happen on national TV.

JF86
07-29-2010, 07:44
Has anyone else found it interesting that with the amount ex military, police officers, defense contractors, or heck even firemen in this country they haven't had a single one in either of these casts? I mean not even an EMT. You would think that these would be natural thoughts when "planning" an emergency.
YMMV

I think Pete was right when he mentioned the guns. The other careers I mentioned, (minus the Firemen, or EMT) would be to much of a logical choice. They would obviously know the value of a firearm.
The people in those career fields would also likely take control of the group since they usually feel some sort of responsibility and or have some leadership qualities. Plus then security wouldn't be a problem,
and we all know that a bunch of "defenseless" people fighting off bad guys makes for "better" television! :rolleyes:

No can do.

That would show guns in a positive light and as a useful tool to have when the SHTF.

My $.02

Pete
07-29-2010, 07:58
Has anyone else found it interesting that with the amount ex military, police officers, defense contractors, or heck even firemen in this country they haven't had a single one in either of these casts?.....

We have plenty of stuff in the "be prepared type" threads but what they are doing seems like you need to go back in time to a medieval castle type thinking.

A place that is secure and can be defended by the number of people you have. Develop weapons that aid in it's defence. Boiling water for drinking? Solar water heater? Some damn hot water dumped out an upper story window can run off somebody pounding on your front door.

Utah Bob
07-29-2010, 08:56
No can do.

Exactly. Guns can only be used by fictional cartoon-type characters these days.
Real guns and real people. Oooh! Heaven forbid. Might give some people the vapors.:rolleyes:

Richard
07-29-2010, 09:03
Jersey Shore meets the Survivor Gabon Batchelorette? :rolleyes:

Never seen any of 'em - don't plan to.

Sten
07-29-2010, 09:07
Jersey Shore meets the Survivor Gabon Batchelorette? :rolleyes:

Never seen any of 'em - don't plan to.

In the first season the production seemed to focus on the group dynamic far more then the mechanics of survival.

Utah Bob
07-29-2010, 16:41
The thing is.....reality shows aren't.

ZonieDiver
07-29-2010, 17:00

IF they were, I'd probably tune in! :D

Saoirse
08-01-2010, 10:58

Ya got that right. I learned that very quickly when I worked for Extreme Home Makeover. They will reshoot a scene over and over until they find it viable for the ratings and the viewing audience proper response.

I watched The Colony this week, out of curiosity to see how the producers would tackle the issues of survival in a post-apocalyptic setting. I am no expert (as I keep learning survival techniques myself) but what I saw lacked "reality". While those that do not think about "survival" like many of us would, might garner "some" knowledge, most can learn from the mistakes these folks will make. I see them as the average joe, who waddles thru life with blinders on until they are confronted with such a harsh reality. Thinking back on the 2003 blackout (not as dramatic as the script of this show), I was prepared for such an event, whereas many of my neighbors were dumbstruck as what to do for themselves.

Sten
08-01-2010, 12:47
Rube Goldberg solutions to water purification and a neurotic fixation with electric lights are not a good survival TTPs?