PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently doing to prep for SFAS or SFRE

Pages : [1] 2

Foot Drill
07-26-2010, 18:00
x

CommoNCO
07-26-2010, 18:58
I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.

The Reaper
07-27-2010, 05:17
I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.

Good prep.

TR

youknow
07-28-2010, 20:15
Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.

So much to do, so little time in the day

x SF med
07-28-2010, 20:26
Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.

So much to do, so little time in the day

Young man, you best get your intro posted yesterday and your profile up to date before The Reaper and Team Sergeant double team your non-instruction following 4th point of contact. You are a no-go at this station, you had best learn to follow the instructions you are given if you want to Get Selected.

What part of "your first post goes in the intro thread" is not clear?

Move out and correct your oversight.

furry
08-04-2010, 16:34
Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.

Last hard class
08-04-2010, 16:51
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have

Hmmm...

LHC

CommoNCO
08-04-2010, 17:18
Furry - I see a lot of crossfit types, and a lot of gym jones guys, and a whole lot of other very fit Special Forces Soldiers around my work on a daily basis.

Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.

I can max 2 events in my APFT. My run keeps killing me. But when my alarm goes off every morning, the message on my screen says that "SFAS won't wait for me." So I get up, do what the book says, and drive on - knowing that the same Soldiers that are deployed with me SEEING my workout - are saying that it's the right call - so I must be doing something right.

As a matter of fact, I've yet to see the MAJ chime in with a post or a chapter that says to talk shit on the internet, so i'm gonna end it here and get back to listening.

ZonieDiver
08-04-2010, 18:06
Originally Posted by furry
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have

Did you also stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

EasyIan
08-04-2010, 18:50
Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.

+∞

Ian

The Reaper
08-04-2010, 18:53
Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.

furry:

Not to be rude or blunt, but let me break it down for you.

I would save the advice dispensing for those who have actually attended SFAS and SFRE. Especially since it seems to be based largely on "what you heard". You are the guy who cannot get a contract without a med waiver because of his injuries, correct?

Frankly, the only way your opinion of the prep would have any validity would be based on having attended, and hopefully having been selected. You have not demonstrated the experience at the specific drills required that would affford you the latitude to dispense expert opinions without it. If you get into the Army, go to SFAS and get selected, complete the SFQC and maybe work there for a while, then you can write your own work-out prep book.

As a demonstration, the Major completed SFAS as a student using his own workout program. He subsequently commanded SOPC and his students set a record for the highest SFAS selection rate ever, after following his PT prep program.

Have you done anything like that?

FWIW, you will not be selected if you show up for SFAS and merely refuse to quit. We send large numbers of non-selects home after every class. There is a direct correlartion between APFT scores and selection as well. Look it up.

TR

Surgicalcric
08-04-2010, 20:10
To piggyback on my Brothers above comments, if you havent attended and been SELECTED at SFAS do not dispense advice on how to prepare for SFAS...

In the event you dont understand the above, DO NOT talk out of your ass...

Questions...

Go do PT.

Crip

Aceshigh
08-04-2010, 21:12
Right now I'm rucking at a 13:30-14:00 minute mile pace for 8-12 miles on flat terrain.

I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).

In the gym I've started doing some of the more unorthodox exercises, just in case I end up having to do something with a log :).

I've stayed pretty true to the plan outlined in "Get Selected" to great success so far (roughly 35 days).

On Foot Drills suggestion I started 1 hour of yoga 3 times a week and it has done wonders for my recovery time.

:lifter

furry
08-04-2010, 23:50
I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.

I've seen a lot of ad hominem attacks on myself, but little in the way of discussion of the actual contents of my training methodology. Do I think Get Selected outlines a training regime that will work, and demonstrated an improvement in selection numbers? Of course. I also went out of my way to express great respect for the Major. But I have never believed in the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." We should always seek to expose the weaknesses of any system and work to improve it. Complacency is the enemy of progress, no?

I personally know men from all areas of SOF who have used the methodology I'm describing, including senior SF NCOs, and have had some in depth discussions with them on this front. For example, since introduction of this type of training at Phase II of BUD/S there has been a dramatic decrease in injury related drops, with no sacrifice in standards.

No, I have not been to SFAS, and I would be (and am) the first to give great weight to what any individual who has has to say. However, I don't think it fair to assume that just because someone has been through that specific pipeline they have a stranglehold on training methodology. I do have valuable experience and knowledge of my own as it pertains to training for and moving fast in the mountains on all types of terrain (some of which is what you all call "rucking," I call it "the approach"). Thus I think it is unfair to say I am "talking out of my ass." I was forthcoming about where I have and have not been (SFAS) because I wouldn't want someone to take my advice believing anything otherwise.

Warrior-Mentor
08-05-2010, 00:06
Furry,

GET SELECTED is the conversation we would have if you and I sat down and had a detailed discussion about preparing for SFAS. I had this conversation with several Soldiers who had asked me long before even getting involved with the SOPC program.

Perhaps you missed the section of the book, where I said this is what worked for me. If you have the same conversation with any other SF Soldier and ask the EXACT SAME questions, you'll get different answers. BUT, over time, as you ask more and more, you'll find similarities.

And then you should go TEST what works for you.

Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.

Best of luck.
WM

18C4V
08-05-2010, 00:06
Furry,

The problem is your credibility. You don't have any and you haven't been to schools where rucking is the bread and butter of such courses such as PRC, Ranger School, RSLC, SFAS, SFQC and other courses out there that have timed road marches.

Even though I testify in court as a police officer in criminal hearings, I sure as hell know that I'm not a lawyer.

The Reaper
08-05-2010, 07:14
I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?

TR

Rumblyguts
08-05-2010, 07:40
Footdrill I wanted to start this thread to see what others are currently doing to prepare for SFAS or the NG SFRE. More specifically, what kind of PT others are doing so we can compare and contrast and possibly elicit the advice from the QP.

furry I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.

Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's

furry
08-05-2010, 12:54
Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's

That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.

I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?

Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.

greenberetTFS
08-05-2010, 13:35
That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.

Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.

furry,

Why don't you follow the rules ? :rolleyes: You haven't filled out your profile yet! :eek: We have no idea who you are..............:confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

furry
08-05-2010, 13:49
Apologies. Done.

caveman
08-05-2010, 18:02
I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).

Try the AB Ripper X workout from P90X, while the name of the program sounds stupid and I've not done any of their other workouts, I will say that it definitely has the potential to bust a plateau; I've had considerable success with it. It's not easy.

Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.

I like this analogy.

11Ber
08-06-2010, 06:50
During my 2 years in the course I wandered through several different training programs until I found one I like and that wasn't until the past 5 months or so. As I have said several times on here and will tell anyone who hopes to be successful at SFAS, I followed Get Selected to the letter, twice. It prepared me adequately for SFAS and I was successful. Once I got going in the course I felt I was way behind where I needed to be to be a contributing member of an ODA. After SUT, which was first then, I heard about and got into Crossfit. Thought it was the #hit. I was getting fitter and stronger, I thought. However I noticed several things. My run times were lacking because there isn't a strong running emphasis in Crossfit. Second, I was actually becoming weaker. My lift numbers were dropping. I could do body weight stuff all day but could barely DL 350. Third and to me the most major issue, after 20 minutes of work I was done. I feel Crossift trains for 20 minutes of work and that is all. Well, thats ok for most people's fitness requirements, but for us with our jobs 20 minutes could just be the warm up.
I then found CFE and thought cool I can incorporate some running/swimming/c2/cycling into my CF routine. This worked and my run times came back and I didn't have to log 35 miles a week. However, the course is just a tad time consuming and 2 workouts most days with rarely one day completely off from training equals one thing--training burnout. I started to dread having to train and got tired of thinking how can I fit a run and WOD into a Sunday?
I then moved onto CF football. This hit the strength issue. Heavy lifts almost every day. Lasted for a month or so. I began to think, I'm not playing college football anymore, no need to train for it.
I found Mil Athlete in Jan of this year. It works for me, one workout a day, strength, endurance, and work capacity cycles. I workout Monday-Friday and get to enjoy the weekends. Strength is up, running is faster, resting HR is way down, joints feel good, and the wife is happy I don't live for the gym.
Point is Get Selected is what it was designed to be, a tool to prepare you for SFAS. It worked for me and many others before and after me, but like WM said use what works for you. As you can see, it will take some time to find what you like and all programs have their ups and downs. Major thing to take from this, train train train like your life depends on it...because it does. :lifter

Foot Drill
08-06-2010, 12:56
x

Foot Drill
08-06-2010, 13:08
x

furry
08-06-2010, 17:09
Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways...

If you're trying to up numbers in a single event like pushups, situps, etc. try working Tabata intervals. If you google them you'll come up with a great description plus all the research and supporting data.

A Tabata is simply 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. You can do an entire workout of these with a Tabata of pushups, then situps, then pullups, etc. Or, lets say you pushups are flagging, just tag on a Tabata set of pushups at the end of your workout once or twice a week. If you don't see improvement I'll buy you a ham sandwich.

Surgicalcric
08-06-2010, 17:31
Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways....

This is not the place to test the patience of those who have previously addressed you and your credentials.

Go do PT.

Crip

Aceshigh
08-06-2010, 22:46
Foot, I do alot of biking in my routine and I don't see the allure to biking in a pack but I'll give it a try once or twice next week. I'll give the should exercise a try to but I've been having some great advances with the basics (shoulder press, military press) all weighted of course.

What I really want to incorporate is more swimming, I'm told it's better for the joints then biking and even at my age there are weeks my joints are hurting something fierce.

Foot Drill
08-06-2010, 23:25
x

dmgedgoods
08-07-2010, 05:32
"Get Selected" and the SFAS preparation book from the recruiter are treating me well. I am not the fastest, and not the strongest, but knowing this is making me push harder every time. In between rucking and running, I am hitting the bike for lack of a pool. Everything else I do is focused on what I know I need to improve...everything. Being conscious of my down time has helped mitigate injuries.

Besides working the muscles, I constantly try to work my mind. College has allowed me to open up the headspace a bit. NDD has posted some tremendous stuff in the Mindset forum. Reading, reading some more, reading again is a great way to unwind and get the brain muscle going.

My wife is behind me 100%, as is the rest of my family...that alone motivates me the most.

Mack

Marbou
08-14-2010, 19:14
I do a Ruck, Swim, Run. I Ruck 3's and 6's. Swim 500m and run 3miles and 5miles. I perform one event per day. I do them in the morning and powerlift in the afternoon. I do Crossfit WODs on the other days I'm not Rucking, Running, or Swimming. "Running Murph" being one of my favorite. Every other 3day cycle I time the events to track my progress. What do you think about that? :lifter

youknow
09-01-2010, 03:16
I didnt want to start a new thread for this so here we go

For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground

wet dog
09-01-2010, 09:53
Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD

For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground

The Reaper
09-01-2010, 10:22

You will not be required to negotiate any of the graded events at SFAS barefoot.

I would follow the instructions provided for prep.

TR

youknow
09-01-2010, 12:46
Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD

Walking barefoot on asphalt was recommended to me to supplement the feet toughening process. And as for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.

I appreciate everyone's advice

tetra
09-01-2010, 14:00
...for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.

From what I understood from "Get Selected", I put a little bit of alcohol on a cotton ball and rub it all around both feet up to and including around my ankles and since I have the luxury of time, I let them air dry. I only do it after running and rucking along with some of the other post ruck foot care talked about in the chapter on feet.

Any QP's advice/criticisms about that?

koz
09-01-2010, 14:09
Big difference in SOAKING your feet and rubbing them down with a cotton ball and alcohol.

I did the boots with no socks routine.

RockSolid
09-01-2010, 14:25
Currently I'm training via crossfit and also strength training and doing cardio at the gym. I'm building a good foundation, to being able to follow Get Selected / NSCA Tactical Athlete Program workout routines without injury.

Cardio: Currently I'm interval training with sprints at goal pace and retesting mile and 2 mile runs, to track progress weekly.

Strength Training: Im focused on muscular endurance (i.e high reps low rest) as I currently have a good platform of strength to do majority of things outlined in books I've read, but absolutely nowhere near the muscular endurance to do so.

Mental: Reading a ton, Ive got Get Selected, Chosen Soldier, In the Company of Heroes, Little Black Book Of Violence, U.S. Army Map Reading & Land Nav and will soon be tackling some of the suggested reading in Get Selected.

One a side note: One utility I've found to be helpful is the NSCA's Tactical Athlete training program. Use your google force to find it, otherwise I can assist you in obtaining a copy. I would value a BTDT program over this one any day but it does have pretty pictures for my simplistic 18X brethren j/j. On serious note I was a member of the NSCA and can attest to the big brains over there when it comes to the human body and structuring strength training programs for specific athletic endeavours and the pictures and write ups of the exercises therein are extremely helpful.

Ill be starting the NSCA program next week and if you care to PM and ill let you know how its going and be able to give mroe details about it.

- :lifter Rock

Foot Drill
09-01-2010, 16:12
x

Sapper124
09-02-2010, 08:16
Has anyone else been trying this method? It stood out when I was reading Get Selected as well. Before i start spraying down I was curious if anyone else has done this and how its working for them. I am by no means trying to question or contradict the advice in the book, just curious as to whether or not its a good idea in the long run to try and condition the sweat glands of the feet to stop working or should we just swap socks, powder up and CM? :D

One concern that I’ve tried to address is foot sweat. I’ve gone through almost two cans of Arrid XX and I haven’t notice any change in foot perspiration. After these rucks my feet are soaked, and so are my boots. I need to get this figured out.

DWALT2510
09-02-2010, 10:46
Has anyone else been trying this method? It stood out when I was reading Get Selected as well. Before i start spraying down I was curious if anyone else has done this and how its working for them. I am by no means trying to question or contradict the advice in the book, just curious as to whether or not its a good idea in the long run to try and condition the sweat glands of the feet to stop working or should we just swap socks, powder up and CM? :D

The book suggested trying to do it the night previous to your ruck, if I remember correctly (I don't have the book to reference at this time). And also, I thought the Arrid XX was just the tip of the iceberg. I believe it said to do that first, followed by powder, and the other steps as well. There were a number of factors, that hand-in-hand, were supposed to provide a solid solution. But like I said, the book's not right here next to me to reference at the moment, so I can't quote or give page numbers.

I'll be a notified officer candidate by tomorrow if all goes according to plan (USAREC board finishes up today), so I have absolutely no rush like some of you 18X folks do in trying to prep. I probably won't even go to BCT until Februrary or later. But I am going to do the "Get Selected" 30 day workout for kicks as soon as I get USAREC's decision on OCS. As the LTC mentioned in a previous post, it's all about what works for you. At absolute worst, the workout plan is a great opportunity to get your feet wet, and build a solid base to expand on. It will certainly be hard to fit in with my daily schedule, but it's nothing I can't manage. A little less sleep won't kill me.

I don't like crossfit purely because everything's timed. I've watched guys in the gym speeding through workouts, with awful form, doing more damage than good to their body. Not always the case, but I see it ALOT. IMO, if you're going to lift weights, make sure you have proper form and some muscle memory going on before you start throwing plates around. It's a great way to hurt yourself and further delay progress.

Sapper124
09-02-2010, 11:51
I don't like crossfit purely because everything's timed. I've watched guys in the gym speeding through workouts, with awful form, doing more damage than good to their body. Not always the case, but I see it ALOT. IMO, if you're going to lift weights, make sure you have proper form and some muscle memory going on before you start throwing plates around. It's a great way to hurt yourself and further delay progress.

Simple solution: dont do what the others do, follow form yourself :D Youll see that in every workout mod. Half squats dont impress anyone, all the way down on push ups, break the plane and all that has been said before. Thats why at a good CF Affiliate the first few weeks of training you dont touch the Rx'd weight, you work with bare bars (if that; usually its PVC pipe) and light KBs, form is crucial as youve said but just because someone else is cheating themselves doesnt mean you should turn a cold shoulder, get out there and show them the proper form!!! :lifter

Sets for time and WODs are there to push you. Youll soon learn that 99% of all Army physical training is done to a set training time or standard.

DWALT2510
09-02-2010, 14:42
Simple solution: dont do what the others do, follow form yourself :D Youll see that in every workout mod. Half squats dont impress anyone, all the way down on push ups, break the plane and all that has been said before. Thats why at a good CF Affiliate the first few weeks of training you dont touch the Rx'd weight, you work with bare bars (if that; usually its PVC pipe) and light KBs, form is crucial as youve said but just because someone else is cheating themselves doesnt mean you should turn a cold shoulder, get out there and show them the proper form!!! :lifter

Sets for time and WODs are there to push you. Youll soon learn that 99% of all Army physically training is done to a set training time or standard.

Concur 110%. Don't get me wrong, I have my certain WOD's I love and throw into my routine relatively often. There is a benefit to doing crossfit, and I think it's pretty impressive how well it helps with not only strength, but run times. And of course I don't turn a cold shoulder...I go to a small gym so we all know each other. For the most part everyone is thick-skin, tough-love, hard-workers. A fair amount are younger than I however, and their primary objective is to throw up heavy weight to impress the maybe one teenage girl that walks by while they're there. OKAY, guilty, I used to do it on occasion too when I was younger :rolleyes: I was just lucky as a high school athlete to be trained by an ex-olympic power lifter. So form for me was always priority one when he was around. And it's something I never forgot.

By the way, any of you folks used the "five fingers" shoes at the gym? My cousin's fiance, a USMC Co CDR, is raving about them. He uses them during his crossfit workouts and now swears by them. He also advised not to run in them unless you naturally land on the ball of your foot. Apparently they're not well suited for a heel-to-toe runner.

Another workout I'll do occasionally is a conglomeration of the 100 pushups, 200 situps, 200 squats workouts. I'll also throw in my very own "20 pullups" rendition of the workout. I turn it into an endurance workout by not breaking between sets, Run through all the set 1's, straight through set 2's, etc. It'll get ya. It's pretty good.

Foot Drill
09-02-2010, 18:59
x

Foot Drill
09-05-2010, 11:15
x

DWALT2510
09-08-2010, 05:19
4 miles: 29:18
4 miles:28:48 ( shaved a few seconds off, stiff headwind coming back )

6 miles: 45:08

Good base line run times for me to improve on. Did my 4 mile on Thursday and my 6 mile today. I felt better on my 6 mile run than I did on my 4 mile due to the 6 mile ruck the day before my 4 mile run.

If you're planning on running for known distances for time I highly recommend using this site, http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/, to plan your routes. This website was mentioned in another thread but is so helpful that I thought it would be worth mentioning again.

IMO, I prefer www.mapmyrun.com. I looked at the USATF website, and it was a little harder to navigate than map my run.

Eli
09-09-2010, 07:47
I have been using the plan in "Get Selected." I am two weeks into the program, and love it. My company had an APFT today, and I increased my APFT score by 16 points to 295.

I was using Stew Smith's Ranger Workout as prep, but 4 weeks into that program I felt overtrained. The program in "Get Selected" provides enough recovery while also giving you something to train on every day not only physically, but mentally and land navigation as well.

I am gonig to the Octoboer class, and I feel that I will be sufficienly prepared physically, mentally, land nav wise, and spiritually (which I think also counts).

Elder
09-09-2010, 16:33
Good Luck Eli, and Blessings.

Quixote
11-06-2010, 19:22
I've been doing Crossfit, APFT specific workouts, and rucking. Has anyone checked out the rucking information here? It popped up on a google search.

http://hi-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2213908072&topic=6747

It looks like it was written by the same Air Force SSG. who wrote out the 4 month plan for the MilitaryTimes. I'm not sure how to take what he says, as there are a lot of counterintuitive ideas (particularly the load he recommends there and the exactly 25s 100m sprints).

spherojon
11-08-2010, 14:33
I've been doing Crossfit, APFT specific workouts, and rucking. Has anyone checked out the rucking information here? It popped up on a google search.

http://hi-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2213908072&topic=6747

It looks like it was written by the same Air Force SSG. who wrote out the 4 month plan for the MilitaryTimes. I'm not sure how to take what he says, as there are a lot of counterintuitive ideas (particularly the load he recommends there and the exactly 25s 100m sprints).
And if you really really really wanted to you could always check out Stew Smith, (http://www.stewsmith.com/). But I am a huge fan of the PT area on this forum, a lot of info is covered there regarding fitness.

Retread
11-21-2010, 23:42
I was initially supposed to leave for SFAS last March, but due to some paperwork hiccups, I am in a holding pattern. Hopefully I will be getting there soon, it looks like.

That said: 'Get Selected' is an excellent baseline. Start there. I have done the whole workout program twice now. I have also been using Stew Smith's 'Ranger/SFAS Prep handbook' with great results. I also did SEALFIT for a few months.

The workout in Get Selected is a good place to start, because it gets you into the minimum shape you need to be in to be successful at SFAS. If you get to the point that you can complete the workouts as prescribed with relative ease, it's time to mix it up.

SEALFIT is great for core strength and endurance, but doesn't do enough for long-distance runs or rucking. If you are going to do that program, you need to add extra running and plenty of rucks. It is also very easy to over-train on this program.

About the best balance I think I've found so far is Stew Smith's book. It has something like 16 or 20 weeks of workouts planned in the back, with plenty of long-distance runs, rucking, sprinting, and swimming planned in. That's not to say I don't do a Crossfit or SEALFIT day every now and again for the benefit of the Olympic lifts and such, but it's a good program if you don't like to or don't have time to plan out a balanced PT/ruck regimen.

As the guys on here have been saying, time and time again: There is no substitute for time under ruck. The two biggest PT events you will have to make are the 6 mile run and the 10 mile ruck. That's AFTER scoring high enough on an APFT with pullups. You will also be doing forced marches and transition rucks from place to place. Not to mention Team Week.

If what you are doing doesn't focus on those areas, you are setting yourself up for failure.

One final note: One of the things I have been trying out lately is short, heavy rucks while wet from the knees down. Maybe once every two weeks. It has shown me very quickly which areas of my feet aren't hardened up enough yet. Ruck weight on these is around 65-70# dry, for about an hour max. Otherwise I start one week at 35# dry, twice a week, then 45# dry, then 55# dry, then back down to 35#. I cycle these to help build up pace speed, and try to avoid breaking myself down. I'm currently at 12 miles in 2hr 45min. My goal is 2hr 30.

Dalik
11-22-2010, 18:55
I'm doing TRX, for upper body, core and muscle endurance. Run about 20-25 miles a week. Need to peak up on rucking. Working out by Stew Smith's programs. Just ordered "Get Selected".
Thank you all for your input. Stay SAFE!

yellowbelly52
11-23-2010, 00:25
I am currently following a program that I mixed together from a few different places. It envoles rucking, APFT related stuff, and running. After I get this program down I will be adding TRX to the plan. Bellow is what I am doing on a weekly basis.

Running:
Wk Mon Tues Weds Thurs Fri Sat
1 1 mile Ruck March 1 mile Ruck March 1 mile Ruck March
2 2 miles Ruck March 2 miles Ruck March 2 miles Ruck March
3 Elliptical Ruck March Elliptical Ruck March Elliptical Ruck March
4 3 miles Ruck March 3 miles Ruck March 3 miles Ruck March
5 2 miles 3 miles off 4 miles 2 miles Ruck March
6 2 miles 3 miles off 4 miles 2 miles Ruck March

Ruck Marching:
*35-50lb ruck
Tuesday Thursday Saturday
1 Hour 1 Hour 6 Miles

Muscle Endurance:
Starting on Tuesday
Push-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (10 to 15 sets of 20 reps)
Sit-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (five to 10 sets of 40 to 50 reps)

deepheart
11-23-2010, 05:19
Right now I am doing the daily operator sessions on militaryathlete.com. I am overseas right now and not scheduled to return until around the middle of next year. I also spend time walking around my site with a ruck to become accustomed to it and will eventually incorporate some of the selection prep programs that have been mentioned to include TRX, Get Selected and the militaryathlete.com Selection Prep Program. August/September is the time frame I am currently looking at for SFAS.

The Reaper
11-23-2010, 08:07
Guys:

You can do all of the high speed programs and take all of the supplements you want, but those beach muscles will not be required at SFAS.

You need to be laying down miles running and with the big green tick on your back. Your feet need to be tough. I would not advocate running or rucking in wet socks and boots for practice.

Being able to do well on a strictly graded APFT, pull-ups, and a good rope climbing technique will cover most of the rest of it.

Don't overthink it.

TR

MightMonkey
11-24-2010, 03:08
Right now I am doing the daily operator sessions on militaryathlete.com. I am overseas right now and not scheduled to return until around the middle of next year. I also spend time walking around my site with a ruck to become accustomed to it and will eventually incorporate some of the selection prep programs that have been mentioned to include TRX, Get Selected and the militaryathlete.com Selection Prep Program. August/September is the time frame I am currently looking at for SFAS.

I'm currently down range on a FOB without a lot of options, but it's been pretty easy to adapt the Get Selected workout to my use. I just put my IBA with a combat load of ammo on it and my ACH in a ruck, and it's weighing in at 50lbs. I'm usually stuck on the side of the road, so I'm getting used to rucking with speed on uneven terrain, around bushes, over pipes, etc. The rifle with mag adds another 10 lbs, but it's slung across my chest and not an optional item out here, just more of an adapt and overcome item. I get weird looks rucking around the base, but eh.

With that, a pull-up bar, and a few basic weights I've managed to cut down excess weight while dropping my rucking times and my mile time. I try to get one outdoor event a day (ruck or run), and a lighter treadmill run indoors at night. Once we run out of daylight out here it's no bueno to run/ruck outdoors.

The best thing I've adapted is from the SFAS advice thread. I've been doing my push-ups nice and slow (2 seconds down, 2 seconds up) with excellent form. The number of reps are slowly building, but after a few sets I can feel it. It burns more than just knocking them out, but at least I feel confident that I can maintain form when it counts. :lifter

And when I return to the land of the big BX it'll be easier to cross-train with swimming, more weights, etc....

Kryptek62
12-16-2010, 23:03
Rucking.... running.... more rucking.. more running... with kettle bell training incorporated for upper body strength.... do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...

thanks

Richard
12-16-2010, 23:07
...do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...

'Borrow' ( ;) ) or buy some. If you're waiting on the military, you'll get your PPT briefing tomorrow to prepare for the amphibious assault of Veracruz.

Richard :munchin

Surgicalcric
12-17-2010, 14:21
do any of the QP's have alternative training for ropes... there are zero on Ft. Rucker...

Towel pullups are a good alternative. The heavier weight the towel the better...

Crip

chaosjackal
12-28-2010, 01:43
I have just finished my month of conventional weight lifting and I plan on starting the Blitz workout. I also alternate my rucking days. One day I will have atleast 60 pounds in my ruck and I will walk around the rocky area on our HLZ so I can work on the conditioning on my feet. I usually try to go for atleast an hour to two hours depending on mission. The next day I will have around 45 pounds in my ruck and I will stick to the sides of the HLZ where the mounds of dirt are piled up. I try to go as hard as I can for as long as I can, usually averaging around an hour and a half.

I figure with the eight months that is left in this deployment I will be in pretty good shape. My goal is to do atleast one twenty miler before going home if the mission cycle will allow.

After two weeks of rucking I am going to switch off and do an IBA run one day and a regular run the next. This isn't the most original work out routine but I believe the more simple it is then the easier it will be to adjust when something is not giving me the results I believe I should be achieving.

Razor
12-29-2010, 14:42
Are any of you guys familiar with the concept of recovery? Sheesh!

The Reaper
12-29-2010, 15:06
Are any of you guys familiar with the concept of recovery? Sheesh!

Shhh!

This is part of selection.

TR

Wolf07
12-29-2010, 17:02
It's been a good year of preparation. I still have four years until I can send in my packet, so I'm pacing my progress. No need to break myself prematurely.

I've cut down on distance with my running, but have been doing more interval training. Historically I have done longer distance stuff with half marathon and marathon training being my focus. However, after some re-education, I only run 5 to 6 miles a few days a week, with other cardio on the alternate days, and one total rest day. Running is normally two days of 400 or 800 sprint/run cycling for the distance, and then one good pacing run on the beach, or in the snow, pending what the weather is. One week a month I don't run, just to keep the stress lower on my legs. The pool is good. Not too worried about running, did a 50 miler earlier this year "just because", and it went fine.

My mindset has changed with weightlifting. Been trying to unify my body weight and lifting routines for better effect, and I am happy with the results. My rucking is going good, with 40-60 lb. in the ruck, and carrying a 4 foot 4x4 in my arms. Distances range from 4-16 miles.

Lots of reading, lots of listening. The Bulletproof Mind. Predictably Irrational. Every day I make sure to do something to develop and stretch my mind. Lots of political science journals. Regional Studies, eastern europe and iran in particular.

And still so much to learn...:D

AJW1986
01-08-2011, 08:28
Replying as another satisfied follower of "Get Selected".

I've been training IAW with the PT/rucking plan and over two months I am seeing better ruck times, solid APFT scores, and even strength gains in COL Martin's weight-lifting tips. I just started the USAREC workout and am looking to further improve.

I was a devout follower of CrossFit for a couple years, in conjunction with PT and rucking with my unit. But I found that CF didn't address all my fitness needs for the Army, and compounding that with PT I felt I was over-training and not really improving my ruck times and APFT scores.

Ever since incorporating Warrior-Mentor's program and the USAREC workout into my selection preparation, I feel stronger and more confident.

TimberWolf82
01-27-2011, 21:19

CDG
01-28-2011, 09:06
Following the "Operator Sessions" off of Military Athlete. Once I get closer to actually heading to Selection, I'll order Rob Shaul's Selection Prep Program and follow that.

Highwayman
01-29-2011, 11:02
Following the "Operator Sessions" off of Military Athlete. Once I get closer to actually heading to Selection, I'll order Rob Shaul's Selection Prep Program and follow that.

While I do find great information on the Military Athlete website, I can't find a reason to purchase a membership for one of the prerequisites to receive the Selection Prep Program. It seems to me the information one needs to be successful at SFAS has been presented here already, from folks who have determined what works and what doesn't.

Just my 2 cents though.

Kryptek62
02-03-2011, 21:05
Gentlemen,
I leave for SFAS tomorrow. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the Quite Professionals for the mentorship and guidance this website has provided. I have not posted much because you are the teachers, and time spent reading is better than time spent typing. Thank you again and Godspeed.
Smith

wet dog
02-03-2011, 21:11
Gentlemen,
I leave for SFAS tomorrow. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the Quite Professionals for the mentorship and guidance this website has provided. I have not posted much because you are the teachers, and time spent reading is better than time spent typing. Thank you again and Godspeed.
Smith

Remain safe, best to you, let us know how things work out.

Log off- get some rest, its late. Try as you might, falling asleep will remain a challange, learn to relax the brain, allow the body to heal, remain calm, all good things will come to you.

P.s., look out for your brother, do not let a fellow team mate carry a load more than yours.

KC120mm
02-07-2011, 10:50
I’m following the “Get Selected” plan religiously, to include the rope climbs and swimming. I don't listen to music when I ruck or run as there will be no soundtrack playing at selection. Finally, I re-watch “Two weeks in hell” for extra motivation when needed. My SFAD target date is 4 months away, so back to lurking and doing PT.

Jgood
02-08-2011, 19:41
as there will be no soundtrack playing at selection.
;)

I thought of every song I could trying to make the pain go away Find that happy place and pray you never find a downed pilot that big in real life

greyshade
02-09-2011, 05:00
I am an 18X waiting to ship in June, I am 8 weeks into my fitness program.

Monday:
APFT Test +Pull Ups
Timed swim ranging from 500M-1000M
Ruck March 16 miles with min. 50+ weight @ max 15 min. pace (4 hours)

Tuesday
Weight lifting at local gym.
Sprint Drills
Weekly PT with recruiter
Krav Maga & Kettle Ball workout at local KM center

Wednesday
(4) sets push-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
(4) sets sit-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
(4) sets pull-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
12 mile run with a 7-8 min. pace

Thursday
Morning: Swiming routine - (3) sets tread water for 20 min. w/ 5 min. breaks. (3) sets 100M swim in full BDU's and boots.

Afternoon: Army Pocket Physical Training Guide - Warm Up: Conditioning Drill 1 & Military Movement Drill. Run 20 min. @ 7 min. pace. Conditioning Drill 2 & 3 + Stretch Drill

Friday
Ruck March 20 miles with min. 65 weight in 5 hours.

Saturday
Core workout at gym + stability training. Bikram Yoga 1 hr. Warm Up: Conditioning Drill 1 & Military Movement Drill. Conditioning Drill 2 & 3 + Stretch Drill

By monthly: Meet with Northeast Ohio Orienteering Club to work on orienteering and map skills.

Sunday
Rest & Recover Day

This is just week 8 of a 16 week program I put together. Since I have a lot more time before I leave for OSUT I will be mixing it up once completed. I just ordered the book "Get Selected" and look forward to getting some additional workout ideas from there. I am new to the crossfit program and looking into that as well.

A 16miler & 20miler in 1 week both w/ +50lbs. That's pretty intense.

Dusty
02-09-2011, 05:15
A 16miler & 20miler in 1 week both w/ +50lbs. That's pretty intense.

lol Duh.

dogtag
02-09-2011, 12:03
Hi,

I have been preparing for about a year now for SFAS. I have read numerous material sources such as Get Selected (great reading for preparing the finer things as well such as foot care), Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and the SFAS pamphlet given out by my recruiter. In addition I have utilized great training resources such as Military Athlete and Cross Fit (supplementary to the cardio I do).

I had a question to any Quiet Professional who deems this thread fit for proper response.

Q: With regards to all physical preparation now, how much will boot, AIT and jump be detrimental to the physical conditioning done prior to entrance? In other words, will all the time between my first day at boot until SOPC have an adverse affect on the conditioning I am doing now?

Hope this is a valid thread

Cheers

Dusty
02-09-2011, 12:15
Hi,

I have been preparing for about a year now for SFAS. I have read numerous material sources such as Get Selected (great reading for preparing the finer things as well such as foot care), Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and the SFAS pamphlet given out by my recruiter. In addition I have utilized great training resources such as Military Athlete and Cross Fit (supplementary to the cardio I do).

I had a question to any Quiet Professional who deems this thread fit for proper response.

Q: With regards to all physical preparation now, how much will boot, AIT and jump be detrimental to the physical conditioning done prior to entrance? In other words, will all the time between my first day at boot until SOPC have an adverse affect on the conditioning I am doing now?

Hope this is a valid thread

Cheers

Don't peak.

dogtag
02-09-2011, 12:24
Thank you kindly Sir, I will take that into consideration with my training.

koz
02-09-2011, 12:58
Just screw up a lot and you'll get all the extra push-ups, mountain climbers, sprint til you puke, mad russians... you want. :lifter

TimberWolf82
02-09-2011, 14:59

The Reaper
02-09-2011, 15:12
Want to see Rucks for week 16? -20 & 26 miler with 100 lbs.

Epic stupid.

Injured and medically separated early.

TR

dogtag
02-09-2011, 15:27
Just screw up a lot and you'll get all the extra push-ups, mountain climbers, sprint til you puke, mad russians... you want. :lifter

Duly noted, thank you for your input Sir.

Hammock
02-09-2011, 15:31
I had a slot to attend SFAS last May. I was so excited to get the date and so eager to do well that, starting in March, I really began to lay down the long miles, rucking and running. Man, I was really going to smoke SFAS. That nagging pain on my leg? Probably a sore hip flexor.

Then April came about, and during AT I finally could not move the leg at all without excruciating pain. What? A stress fracture of the femur? No kidding? Who knew that could happen? And I should consider myself lucky that I didn't have to get pins that would have ended my Sf career right there and be grateful that the main price I had to pay was seven months' delay in getting started? Huh.

I didn't get to SFAS until last month. While getting back in shape, I never trained with more than 45 lbs., did mostly 6-8 mile rucks in the deep, beach sand, and never once ran with a ruck. I had about 60 mins to spare on the combined time during Gate Week, and I had no problems keeping up during the transition rucks.

So don't be stupid like me and hurt yourself unnecessarily. There will be plenty of chances to get hurt during SFAS.

Hammock

Romeo23
02-09-2011, 16:29
18 Xray here leaving in June. I would have to say I'm taking a methodical approach to my training routine. With a background in cross country, track, and soccer I think I've developed very good habits that I can use to build a training routine that will prep myself for BCT (first step of the way) and eventually SFAS.

Monday:
3 Mile runs today at a leisurely pace. Roughly 8 minute/mi. Plan on increasing this to at a minimum 6 miles with a 7:30 minute/mi pace.

Tuesday:
Weight training. :lifter I use all free weights to work my core as well as targeted muscles.
Bench press with body weight, seated military press, shrugs, and hammer curls. 4 sets of 15 reps.
I also utilize this day to ruck (currently 30 lbs @ 15 mi/mi pace - although I do have to break into a trot due to me having short legs.. But thats what experimenting is for, to work out the kinks and find out what works so I won't have to trot). Plan on increasing to a maximum 50 lbs and 8 miles at most. No point in hurting myself before I step off the bus.

Wednesday:
Muscle Endurance day. This includes a pyramid workout of Push-ups and Sit-ups.
Only doing 25 to 1 right now with no breaks.
Also incorporating 100 yard sprints to increase anaerobic ability and speed for distance runs (I used to do timed 400m runs during cross country that paid off incredibly on my overall 5k run).

Thursday:
5 Miles on the bike to strengthen my legs and that will hopefully prevent knee pain that will likely occur during SFAS.

Friday:
Another leisurely 3 mile run with the same pace as Monday.

Saturday is reserved for an occasional PT test - self assessed as it is harder mentally to push yourself when no one is watching which will increase my mental toughness.
Otherwise Saturday and Sunday are reserved for R&R.

In addition to this routine I do 250 push-ups and sit-ups throughout the day every week. Even days I do them consecutively (not taking a prolonged break but still taking minor break i.e. 1 to 2 minutes between sets of 50 reps). While on odd days I do them throughout the day.

The most important thing during all of this. STRETCHING. I stretch heavily before workouts and even more thoroughly afterwards. Cool downs are a must for anyone that does physical fitness IMHO. I HIGHLY recommend stretching and cool downs for any person seeking to do daily exercise since this will lengthen your athletic career. Take care of your muscles and they will certainly take care of you during any physical endeavor you may attempt to tackle.

These are all starting routines that will eventually go up. As previously stated, I have an athletic background that has helped me to refine my strategy on constructing this workout. Starting slow and slowly increasing numbers will greatly benefit my overall health. Strain on my muscles will be minimum as they will have plenty of time to heal and grow stronger over time.

R

The Reaper
02-09-2011, 16:58
What is wrong with the School approved and vetted SWCS SFAS PT Prep program?

TR

Dusty
02-09-2011, 18:12
What is wrong with the School approved and vetted SWCS SFAS PT Prep program?

TR

Oh, that. That's for candidates who aren't already operators. :rolleyes:

ksboi
02-09-2011, 20:32
"What is wrong with the School approved and vetted SWCS SFAS PT Prep program?

TR"

Not one thing! I am doing that along with that new Big Army PT. Works just fine for me. Read a post a while ago, it said that to get time under the green tick, do pushup, situps, pullups.

Surgicalcric
02-09-2011, 21:37
And thats only halfway through my 16 week program. Granted I started out doing 4-6 miles with only 30 lbs. but you got to keep adding on more otherwise whats the point?

Want to see Rucks for week 16? -20 & 26 miler with 100 lbs.

Just keep adding about 5+ lbs. a week and in 16 weeks you will be doing at least 80 lbs.

You may want to do some reading here before you get too far ahead of yourself.

You shouldnt be rucking with more than 55lbs.

Train smarter.

Crip

sentra
02-12-2011, 13:42
I have been working out and/or specifically training for something my whole life and before I start I like to do a self evaluation. Well, I just did my self "SFAS pre-training" eval. and boy do I have a lot of work to do.

I have an 8 mile path I run so I strapped on an ALICE pack with 35lbs and started marching. 8miles in exactly 1:45 and i was hurting. Hotspots began around the 6mile mark(wearing running shoes) and the last 2 miles were unpleasant. Shoulders and neck hurt after the first mile but seemed to get better after I just dealt with it for the rest of the trip.

I haven't found a local track to use yet to test my exact 2 mile time. Push-ups are good, sit-ups could be better, and pullups could be better. I can do 6 pullups, but i hope to be in the mid 20's. I have a lot of extra weight from heavy lifting and it hurts my body-weight exercises and distance running.

No more supplements and lowering calories to get into more of a runners body while keeping all the strength I can while losing some mass.

hotshot
02-12-2011, 17:58
I have been working out and/or specifically training for something my whole life and before I start I like to do a self evaluation. Well, I just did my self "SFAS pre-training" eval. and boy do I have a lot of work to do.

I have an 8 mile path I run so I strapped on an ALICE pack with 35lbs and started marching. 8miles in exactly 1:45 and i was hurting. Hotspots began around the 6mile mark(wearing running shoes) and the last 2 miles were unpleasant. Shoulders and neck hurt after the first mile but seemed to get better after I just dealt with it for the rest of the trip.

I haven't found a local track to use yet to test my exact 2 mile time. Push-ups are good, sit-ups could be better, and pullups could be better. I can do 6 pullups, but i hope to be in the mid 20's. I have a lot of extra weight from heavy lifting and it hurts my body-weight exercises and distance running.

No more supplements and lowering calories to get into more of a runners body while keeping all the strength I can while losing some mass.

Improve:
Sounds to me that you are not training properly.
Do not ruck in running shoes.
Research proper rucking form/equipment

Sustain:
1h 45m isn't a bad ruck time for 8 miles (for a first attempt). Keep that up

Now working at SWCS, I see a lot of guys getting the boot for failing the Gated Events (PT Test/Ruck/Run/Rope Climb/Pull-up/Swim). And to add insult to injury, this is after 6 months of being in language school with nothing else to do but get into great shape. There is absolutely no excuse nor tolerance for it.

Suerte,

CH

sentra
02-12-2011, 20:20
hotshot, thank you for the input. I did that ruck on asphalt and I have not yet found boots so I figured the running shoes would be ok for a quick trial exercise. I actually went into it thinking I was testing my back and shoulders and was surprised when the first thing that i had an issue with was my feet. That's something I have never experienced before even on long runs. That little bit of weight on your back makes a world of difference. I still have a lot of reading to do on this site and others on the whole boot subject. I really want to use nike free boots because I love free soles but have yet to figure out for sure if they are approved for SFAS as a back up pair to some wave soled issue boots.

Dusty
02-13-2011, 02:43
Don't reinvent the wheel, guys. SWC will tell you how to train.

There are gonna be several points in time at which you'll scream to yourself, "Why did I spend time worrying about that namby pamby "wave sole" crap? My feet went out a million miles ago! I think I'm seriously, actually about to die! I have to quit, because I can't even breathe, much less ruck! I'm tore up and wore slap ass out! I'm permanently injuring myself, I know I am! I'm gonna quit; go to Bennigan's. Yeah... It'll be soooo easy to just get on the truck..."

That's what you need to worry about. Not your boots.

fzpmbh
02-15-2011, 09:54
Howdy all,

I'd like to lay out what I'm currently doing in preparation for SFAS. I welcome and encourage feedback because I'm 38, not getting any younger, and am going to channel my efforts at simply preparing as best as I can.

Monday:
Full Free Weight Workout: Chest and Bicep
1-2 mile swim, freestyle, taking a 1 minute break usually every 1/2 mile

Tuesday:
Workout: Pushups, situps, full array crazy abs, pull-ups (with 2x5lb ankle weights)
Interval run: 12 iterations of 800m @ 6:15 pace with 400m cool down. This also includes a 1 mile warmup and 1 mile cooldown run.

Wednesday:
Full Free Weight Workout: Legs and Tricep

Thursday:
Workout: Pushups, situps, full array crazy abs, pull-ups (no weights)
Long Run: 12-20 miles depending on time and how I feel. (I am also training for marathons). My average is around 8 min/mile.

Friday:
Full Free Weight Workout: Back and shoulders

Saturday:
Rest

Sunday:
12-15 mile ruck with 47 lbs plus water, this equals about 53 lbs. My average for a 12 miler is 2:28 on a cross-country course.

I appreciate feedback,
Chris

shadowdoctor88
02-15-2011, 10:02
This is something I always think about while training. I see people write their training logs on this site, saying they complete 15-20 mile road marches with 70# plus, and I say to myself, “what are they accomplishing?” One day we will have to get through that, and definitely far much more, but what good is it to train like that? I am approximately 6 weeks from boot camp, wouldn’t it be beneficial to be at strong as you have ever been, with lots of running 2, 4, 6, and the occasional 8 miler, and rucking with appropriate weight for 4-12 miles at a solid pace?

k-rub
02-15-2011, 15:57
I agree. I did the prescribed SWC workout and it served me well.

sentra
02-15-2011, 22:21
im no expert but if you have over 53lbs and are averaging faster than 12:30min miles for 12 miles then you are probably embellishing a bit or you are flirting with a very good chance of injury. That speed would require jogging. I'm 6' and a very fast long stride is about 13:xx/mile really pushing it hard.

Surgicalcric
02-15-2011, 22:48
im no expert ...

According to your profile you should have stopped there.

More time reading, less time posting.

And BTW, 13:00/miles is very attainable.

Crip

fzpmbh
02-16-2011, 09:45
im no expert but if you have over 53lbs and are averaging faster than 12:30min miles for 12 miles then you are probably embellishing a bit or you are flirting with a very good chance of injury. That speed would require jogging. I'm 6' and a very fast long stride is about 13:xx/mile really pushing it hard.

I'm 5'9" and yes, I do run a lot. As for the "embellishing", you are welcome to come train with me; but please do not question my integrity.

I've searched for the SWC workout but cannot find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I feel confident that I'm "in the ballpark" as far as being SFAS ready and welcome all input and criticism that will help me prepare that much better.

Thanks everyone

Richard
02-16-2011, 09:57
What are you currently doing to prep for SFAS or SFRE

Nothing. :D

However, I do participate in an outdoor Transformation Bootcamp x-training fitness program on M-W-F each week. ;)

shadowdoctor88
02-16-2011, 10:39
Current Prep

Week 1

Monday: LSD run about an hour, pullups 3x10 normal, wide, and narrowgrip and situps 5x25 and boxing workout

Tuesday: Ruck march with 52-55lbs 4 miles, push ups at least 200 10x20, some lower abs

Wednesday: If legs feel good i will either Back Squat/Front Squat, Deadlift/Hangclean, or Lunges/Deadlift. Pullups ladder system up to 10 and back to 1. Core Workout. Boxing Workout

Thursday: Run 6-8 1/4mile sprints. Pushups 35x5, Situps 40x5, Dips 3x15-20, Muay Thai Workout

Friday: Either weighted pullups 45# or endurance pullups, weighted situps 45#, Bike, Wrestling workout.

Saturday: Reserved for a longer Ruck anywhere from 8 to 12 miles, 300 pushups throughout the day in sets of 20.

For Week 2

The running on Monday would be a 3-4 mile run hign intensity run. The run on Thursday would incorporate hills.

My Ruck distance increases, I like to do a 3-5 mile Ruck focusing on a faster pace and a longer Ruck focusing on just the benefit of many miles under the great equalizer.

I also tailor push/pull workouts so they are rarely the same.

Personal Bests

Pushups 80 in 2:00
Situps 90 in 2:00
2 Mile Run 13:15

Prep before this current cycyle had a lot of lifting and swimming. Currently improving muscle endurance, flexability, and H2H. I am 6'1" 175 lbs. My plan over the winter was to literally hibernate and ive put on about 15 lbs. Ive seen strength increases and now boosting up muscle endurance. Diet is good. Reading alot. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Reaper
02-16-2011, 10:45
Run faster. Push youself, or get a faster partner. Try sprinting the last 1/4 mile of your two mile run. Start the kick a little earlier every time.

Get a workout buddy and push one another.

Do pushups in sets of 40 or more. You will not be stopping on the APFT after 20. Form is important. All the way down, all the way up.

Run and ruck periodically in sand if you can.

TR

shadowdoctor88
02-16-2011, 11:16
Run faster. Push youself, or get a faster partner. Try sprinting the last 1/4 mile of your two mile run. Start the kick a little earlier every time.

Get a workout buddy and push one another.

Do pushups in sets of 40 or more. You will not be stopping on the APFT after 20. Form is important. All the way down, all the way up.

Run and ruck periodically in sand if you can.

TR

Understood, the sand has been my best friend until this damm blizzard came through Chicago.

Menschenschreck
02-16-2011, 13:24
First and foremost, I am following "Get Selected".

Secondly, I attend a Crossfit gym (that biases my WOD toward pushups, situps, pullups, and ropes) in the morning, before I go to work.

I ruck 12 miles every Saturday, with a 50 pound ALICE in very basic Altama boots, on a 5 path rotation that varies terrain from flat sidewalk to steep hiking trails.

I do 5 sets each of 40 pushups and situps before I go to bed.

On Sundays, I run sets of 800m sprints for time.

I log everything and try to be as administrative as possible.

As my ship date draws nearer, I will train on an indoor ropes course to acclimate myself with navigating tall obstacles while fatigued.

Additionally, I am reading "Chi Running" and working its techniques into my current running regiment. To help prepare for the land navigation, I have an instructive computer program a Ranger friend gave me, as well as the various online resources I have found. It is also being taught to me by some of my friends in the Ranger Challenge element of my university's ROTC.

I have cut as much sugar and salt out of my diet as I consciously can, completely cut fried foods and pork, and I only drink water and coconut or almond milk. For supplements, I am taking a multivitamin and fish oil. I make a point to rest one full day a week.

My frame of mind is that no matter where my fitness level is when I attend SFAS, I will be pushed past anything for which I can safely prepare, but I would like to set that bar at a high enough point that I can give precedence to the mental aspect of selection and be cognizant enough to assist anyone around me against being burdened by more than their fair share. The reality that there will be physical tyrannosaurs there inspires me to always push a little harder.

As of right now, my run times are abysmal and my pullups need work. I have a perfect pullup in my house and do at least 5 every time I pass underneath it.

As far as pushups and situps goes, I am at 87 and 120 respectively.

Any critique and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shockershot87
02-26-2011, 18:14
I leave in 60 days for OSUT, and my workout routine consists of:

CrossFit 5-6days a week.

I run distances of 4-6 miles 2-3 times a week.

I knock out 200 pushups and situps a day, trying to make sure the sets are not less than 40repetitions.

I knock out 100 pullups a day on the pullup bar I have in my doorway.

Rucking is at least once a week, sometimes twice. If I'm doing a timed course, it's usually 4 miles and it's with 45lbs. If it's not timed, I'll do 55-60lbs for around 8 miles over hilly terrain.

I plan to ramp this up even further with the rucking once I'm 40 days out.

PiX905
03-17-2011, 15:59
I dont leave until late June, so i still have time. But right now I dont have a real set day to day training schedule. I have been doing some research online and trying to figure out the best ways to spend my time training, and do different things every week.
I am doing crossfit 2-3 times a week right now, going to the pool 1-2 times a week, doing PT at my recruiting station 2 times a week, and hitting the gym. I just got an Alice pack and plan to start rucking with about 30 lbs. 2-4 miles depending on how it feels the first time out.
I have been thinking about starting a routine with 2 workouts a day and then just make sure i rest 1 full day a week. I have heard/read some things that say its a good thing, and some say that its too much for your body to endure. Anyone have any input on that?

Shockershot87
03-17-2011, 16:22
Be careful not to overtrain. I'm running into that problem right now. I just hurt my back doing deadlifts at CrossFit. Make sure what you're doing is giving yourself enough down time to recover.

upchuck
04-05-2011, 22:44
Rob Shaul over at militaryathlete.com makes a very good 2 month progressive work out plan to prep you for SFAS or any other ruck based military school (i.e Ranger)

After doing it for 5 weeks now I can see that the point of the programming is geared towards work capacity, endurance, speed, durability, and the all important mental fitness. You won't be in shape to bench press 400lb at the end of the 8 week cycle, but you should be ready for SFAS.

I have dropped a few pushups off of my APFT since starting this, but still should be well within the standards for that initial gate. So if you are weak on your pushups you may want to add a few sets at the end of a couple of your workouts.

If you have not been doing crossfit type workouts for a few months his workouts will be difficult to complete.

Another thing that is worth another mention is a book I saw on a post here called "fixing your feet". Tired some things in there as I was consistently getting blisters on the back of my heels after about 5-7mi. 100% blister free since making some small adjustments recommended in that book.

I'm not on here much, so send me a PM if you have a question.

upchuck
04-06-2011, 23:20
I received a question via PM, thought I would post it here too. Everybody has different feet but this has worked for me and a few guys at my SFRE events. I'm also thinking that helping a buddy out that has some foot issues might really help on those peer evals.

Hi upchuck,

I was curious if you could enlighten me on some of your small adjustments made to your foot conditioning that you read in the fixing your feet book.

Thanks, JD18

It taught me how to pre-tape my feet. I tape the back of my heels.

1) Clean area with soap and water (optional, but tape won't stick well to dirty feet.)

2) Cut tape to length (about 4-5 inches)

3) Cut the tape so that there are no non-round edges.

4) Apply Tincture of Benzoin to area where you are taping, wait for it to get tacky.

5) Apply the tape so there are no wrinkles while pulling on your toes to make your Achilles stretch to its full length.

6) Rub the tape with your hand (heat helps the adhesive adhere)

7) Rub foot powder around the edges of the tape. This keeps it from sticking to your sock.

8) Apply your favorite foot powder, being careful to make sure you have full coverage to the area where you applied the tincture of benzoin. The tackiness might cause some problems.

That entire process can be done in about 3 min. Unlike mole skin this should stay on your feet through water, sweat, etc if you do it correctly. You can usually get 2 days or more before you have to tape again.

I use the following tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinesio-Tex-Gold-Tape-Resistant/dp/B001VNE7TK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302152748&sr=8-2

It is stretchy, which makes a major difference. Normal medical tape will not work well.

If you already have a blister where you are going to apply the tape you need to apply a thin coat of vasoline or some triple antibiotic on the blister before you tape over it, other wise it will just rip more skin off when you remove the tape. (You will also want to drain the blister with some thread and needle)

I would really suggest getting the book. It is only $12 or so

http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899976387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302152960&sr=1-1

There is no one way that will work for everyone. I just had to put the ruck on and try several methods and combinations of techniques until I found what worked for me.

ZonieDiver
04-06-2011, 23:51
Jeez, I'm glad I did what I did when I did it!

wet dog
04-21-2011, 12:58
Be careful not to overtrain. I'm running into that problem right now. I just hurt my back doing deadlifts at CrossFit. Make sure what you're doing is giving yourself enough down time to recover.

Napping during the lunch hour was one of my favorite past times. Do student still carry back packs around? I bought a medium Alice just for books, paper, pens, food, (trail mix), socks, knife, 2 qrt. water, goose down stuffed nylon camp pillow and (1) well worn soft poncho liner, faded green.

You gotta eat, so eat, but make it quick - catching a few zzzzz's helps the mind to rest as well.

During the MOS portion of the "Q", get lots of nap time. The information will better stick in the brain cavity that way, or so I'm told.

Pete
04-21-2011, 13:38
Its a proven fact that power naps are very efficient versus sleeping an hour or more when its not "bed time."

Is there a lot of death by powerpoint when going through the MOS portion of the Q, very hands on, or a mixture of both?

mpower, I'm begining to think you consider "prep" as posting here.

If you do get to finish SFAS you'll find out posting don't equal performance.

And I don't consider your "first shot" a first shot since you didn't even sign in.

And as a side note - some of the fastest ruckers I've ever seen were short guys. Suckers could move them short little legs at a range walk for 12 miles. Looked like two blurs under the green tick. Us tall guys could hit that 13.5/14 minute mile at a long easy stride and go all day, but man, shorten stride and speed up the steep wore us out.

wet dog
04-21-2011, 13:39
Its a proven fact that power naps are very efficient versus sleeping an hour or more when its not "bed time."

Is there a lot of death by powerpoint when going through the MOS portion of the Q, very hands on, or a mixture of both?

Power Pointing in the "Q", (back in the day), was a salty SFC/MSG using his index finger and "pointing" at either the chalk board, or a student with a raised hand. Training in that environment is much more effienct, questions and answers come quicker with deep enriched explanations.

Training aids, be it, weapons, radios, inert blocks, maps, diagrams, medical are remembered when hands, (device, instructions, and brain), meet.

A great instructor will keep it on point when "threads" take right and left hand turns to quickly.

CDG
04-21-2011, 13:48
I cut back on the amount of training I was doing as prep. Working full time and taking several classes was making it difficult to train, do everything else that needs doing, and try to get a decent amount of sleep. I realized I'm better off training fewer days per week and being able to put more intensity into each workout and fully recover afterwards. I was going for awhile with little sleep telling myself that I would have to deal with it at SFAS, and should I be selected, the Q Course and following time with a Team. Then I realized that trying to recreate those conditions was futile, and an inefficient way to train. When I have to deal with it, I will. But until then I feel I am better off maximizing my recovery time between workouts.

Also, I am taking some Land Navigation courses through a tracking school and will be working with a POSE running coach on improving my running/rucking efficiency.

Callsign
04-21-2011, 14:04
Gotta be honest, I've been preparing since November. Coming from 0 athletic ability to about a 230 APFT as of now.

I've been doing slow cardio/heart rate training when I should have implemented sprints/intervals a LONG time ago. I ship next month, and I find myself almost in a crunch to sprint my ass off to get those run times down.

So for anyone that is preparing and only doing cardio/heart rate, please heed the warning from other QP's and push the pace on your runs. My confidence is a bit shot going into OSUT next month, but I'm pushing myself 100% everyday now in hopes that OSUT might nudge my run times down.

Not your average success story, but an honest one. Time to hit the track!

The Reaper
04-21-2011, 14:07
With a 230 APFT, you will have to bust your ass to get in shape before you get to SFAS.

A few years as an infantryman may help with that before you return.

TR

Surgicalcric
04-21-2011, 14:36
230?

I was above 230 before I start the journey to become an SF soldier...you may want to consider another path in life if 230 is all you have attained. 11B OSUT will not get you in shape for SFAS; you should have started when you signed the contract.

I am not talking about pushups, situps, or running; I am talking about rucking.

Get on it...now!

Shockershot87
04-21-2011, 16:24
Napping during the lunch hour was one of my favorite past times. Do student still carry back packs around? I bought a medium Alice just for books, paper, pens, food, (trail mix), socks, knife, 2 qrt. water, goose down stuffed nylon camp pillow and (1) well worn soft poncho liner, faded green.

You gotta eat, so eat, but make it quick - catching a few zzzzz's helps the mind to rest as well.

During the MOS portion of the "Q", get lots of nap time. The information will better stick in the brain cavity that way, or so I'm told.

Roger that. Am not sure if this was in direct response to my post, but your sage advice is appreciated. 5 days til I leave for OSUT. One more large ruck march in this easter weekend, then rest and recover before I leave.

Dusty
04-21-2011, 16:51

Nap or play hacky-sack, right, WD? ;)

Surgicalcric
04-21-2011, 18:35
Currently my pt score is 275-280. I max pushups and situps. I don't plan on going until I ruck 20 miles at a 14 minute pace.

Is that a good goal to set gentlemen?

The average infantryman scores in the 270-290 range; you arent setting yourself apart there. They also randomly do 20 miles marches, again...nothing new.

How about developing some SA or knowing your operational environment and being able to work within it. That would be good goals to have. I would also start working on them as soon as possible as you are deficient in both.

In short you need to do a lot more reading and a lot less posting in threads such as these. You are not, as you have been counseled before, amongst peers and have a long way to go before you get there...

Having given TS info on a poser doesnt give you carte blanche here. check your azimuth and correct it.

Now, go do PT...

Crip

Callsign
04-21-2011, 19:56
With a 230 APFT, you will have to bust your ass to get in shape before you get to SFAS.

A few years as an infantryman may help with that before you return.

TR

230?

I was above 230 before I start the journey to become an SF soldier...you may want to consider another path in life if 230 is all you have attained. 11B OSUT will not get you in shape for SFAS; you should have started when you signed the contract.

I am not talking about pushups, situps, or running; I am talking about rucking.

Get on it...now!

Agreed, the old SF guy I live with said he will run me over with his truck if he catches me walking or jogging.

If that's not motivation... :lifter

wet dog
04-21-2011, 20:14
Nap or play hacky-sack, right, WD? ;)

Correct. Our AIMC class room was at the end of the block, just below the hill from the COSCOM DFAC. It sat comforatbly 60 students if memory serves me correctly.

Two doors down was the CSM office and accross the street the library. Outside the AIMC room, there was a concrete wall 4' high, a pull up bar, and a large enough area for a game of hacky-sack. Nothing better to get the blood moving after a 50 minute session of "dits and dahs" then inverted push-ups, pull-ups, hacky-sack.

Who was the black SGM from Jamaica/Trinidad, circa 1983-84, who played on his country's national soccer team? He could hacky-sack real well.

The Reaper
04-21-2011, 20:31
Correct. Our AIMC class room was at the end of the block, just below the hill from the COSCOM DFAC. It sat comforatbly 60 students if memory serves me correctly.

Two doors down was the CSM office and accross the street the library. Outside the AIMC room, there was a concrete wall 4' high, a pull up bar, and a large enough area for a game of hacky-sack. Nothing better to get the blood moving after a 50 minute session of "dits and dahs" then inverted push-ups, pull-ups, hacky-sack.

Who was the black SGM from Jamaica/Trinidad, circa 1983-84, who played on his country's national soccer team? He could hacky-sack real well.

1SG Leroy Atz.

We used to tell the students he was Haitian, and when they would ask him about Haiti, he would hit the roof. He was from Trinidad.

TR

Ret10Echo
04-21-2011, 20:44
1SG Leroy Atz.

We used to tell the students he was Haitian, and when they would ask him about Haiti, he would hit the roof. He was from Trinidad.

TR

Now THAT is a name I have not heard in quite some time.

He got into the habit of using a drill and screwing "unauthorized" items to the wall of his office at one point (Oakleys, A7-belts..etc). When a majority of our class biffed OPTECPRO he confiscated our #$@* - @%& "Bacci-Balls" (hackey sacks).

Always said he was going back to Trinidad and drink rum on the beach...

seak38
04-23-2011, 20:35
I'm shipping 18X on October 11. Having dragged my feet for awhile after several months of working out, I'm beginning this new and improved program this coming Monday.

Steps:
1. 6 weeks of Functional Movement Screening (FMS) workouts based on tests to show muscle imbalances. This is to reduce chances of injury (up to 35% saith Four Hour Body)

2. Get Selected! 30-day workout. I'll go through it once or twice.

3. The SWCS 5-week Prep Workout.

This will be a total of 6+(4/8)+5= 15/19 weeks, about four or five months, leaving a month or two for maintenance until Basic.

Based on keeping things simple and following this site's advice, mixed in with 4HB's wisdom, this seems perfect. Any opinions on doing FMS first?

upchuck
04-23-2011, 21:57
I'm shipping 18X on October 11. Having dragged my feet for awhile after several months of working out, I'm beginning this new and improved program this coming Monday.

Steps:
1. 6 weeks of Functional Movement Screening (FMS) workouts based on tests to show muscle imbalances. This is to reduce chances of injury (up to 35% saith Four Hour Body)

2. Get Selected! 30-day workout. I'll go through it once or twice.

3. The SWCS 5-week Prep Workout.

This will be a total of 6+(4/8)+5= 15/19 weeks, about four or five months, leaving a month or two for maintenance until Basic.

Based on keeping things simple and following this site's advice, mixed in with 4HB's wisdom, this seems perfect. Any opinions on doing FMS first?

The only thing that ever helped me get over my constant training injuries (back and knee issues) was working with a barbell - doing core olympic lifts with perfect form. I know Rob Shaul at militaryathlete.com incorporates some FMS into his workouts as well as plenty of work with a barbell. You may also want the research the POSE running technique to help keep your knees healthy.

33army
04-25-2011, 13:49
I'm currently doing full body workouts in the gym M-W-F focusing on legs and back. I run 2-4 miles three days a week prior to my units oh so wonderful PT. Then I generally add in lunch time running 3-5 miles or interval training depending on time 2 days a week. I ruck 3 days a week, generally 2 short and 1 long distance with 50-60lbs. I have given up coffee as I used to rely on it to give me energy, so yes I was miserable for a while but have noticed a significant boost in energy the more I train. I am currently on a high protein diet, including protein shakes, no Creatine or any other supplements for that matter but I will not be using protein shakes after the end of the month. As far as feet go, I use a good pair of Army issue Altamas and issued green socks. I also apply alcohol to my feet and soak in epsom salt once a week to aid in recovery. I have been on this routine since October so I hopefully will be good by September.

33army
04-26-2011, 14:02
One a side note: One utility I've found to be helpful is the NSCA's Tactical Athlete training program. Use your google force to find it, otherwise I can assist you in obtaining a copy. I would value a BTDT program over this one any day but it does have pretty pictures for my simplistic 18X brethren j/j. On serious note I was a member of the NSCA and can attest to the big brains over there when it comes to the human body and structuring strength training programs for specific athletic endeavours and the pictures and write ups of the exercises therein are extremely helpful.

- :lifter Rock

I've been doing the NSCA workout for about 2 1/2 months now. IMO one of the best workouts if you are looking for "functional" strength and not trying to look like a meat head. The circuits are killer. I have recommended this to a few of my soldiers and my CO. All have seen a significant boost in their APFT scores.

upchuck
04-26-2011, 14:11
I've been doing the NSCA workout for about 2 1/2 months now. IMO one of the best workouts if you are looking for "functional" strength and not trying to look like a meat head. The circuits are killer. I have recommended this to a few of my soldiers and my CO. All have seen a significant boost in their APFT scores.

They have the TacAthlete program available for download as a .pdf on AKO. Link also contains some other valuable information like an updated packing list.

https://www.us.army.mil/suite/page/640711

Gopher
04-26-2011, 17:04
I follow MilitaryAthlete.com programming. I mix in running and rucking appropriately. I never carry over 55#s per the advice of the QPs and the desire to not kill my body before I get to SFAS. I wear my ruck when I cut my grass just to get time under the green tick, which I am sure has got the neighbors convinced I am crazy. That's about it.

GhostRSA
04-27-2011, 10:20
Just a really simple thing that I do apart from my training schedule:
For those that are still in school (like myself) and are looking for more than only increasing your knowledge, you should maybe try a nice simple trick. Inside your school daypack/backpack put a 33#/15kg weighted plate underneath all of your books, then keep it on and walk around as often as possible. It will (very) slowly increase your back strength and if you are walking up hills to your next class then it should increase your leg strength. When you get out of school and you have time you can then start rucking seriously up hills or in the jungle.
Just a thought.

GhostRSA

Memento_Mori
04-27-2011, 13:48
Does anyone have any experience with the "Introduction to Map & Compass Class" offered by REI? I have zero land nav experience (unless you count backpacking trails in national parks/forests), and it seems like this would give me a reasonable base to work up from.

Thoughts?

http://www.rei.com/class/162/market/120

33army
04-27-2011, 14:22
IMO, the best way to learn....Get a map, get a compass, and get lost. But that's just me. But I had some map skills prior to the military. You could also reference the search button. Lots of good FREE info on here concerning Land Navigation. Or find a copy of FM 3-25.26. (Sorry if that came across as rude)

Memento_Mori
04-27-2011, 15:04
I agree that getting a map, compass, and what I can glean from posts on this site, and just "getting lost" could be very instructive. I thought if the REI class is known to be good it would be worthwhile to have someone critiquing my progress in person, at least as a start, so that I could make more effective use of later solo training.

Further, cost is no issue as I would be taking the course free of charge. It's really about course/instructor quality.

RGRJ
04-27-2011, 22:51
Going to the June SFAS class. I've bumped up running distances to 6-8 miles 3 time a week, with 1 fartlek (it's a Swedish name...) run of about 3 miles. I plan on replacing one of my runs with a 5 mile ruckmarch after this week.

lightwalker
04-30-2011, 00:40
Memento_Mori,

Please, do NOT purposely get yourself lost. Search & Rescue operations cost a lot, and no one will like your story of "I started out with the goal of getting lost".

The REI course is a good starting point if you have no experience in land-nav. It will not get you ready for the Star, but it will help you understand the topic of Land Navigation a little better. Remember, the things that they teach you at REI might not be methods that are even allowed is SFAS.

RGRJ
05-01-2011, 02:06
http://peteandedbooks.com/rclubs.htm

This site has a list of orienteering clubs organized by state. I've never been involved in one, but I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt if you're desperate for some 'lay of the land' knowledge before shipping out...

'Poet'Cramer
05-02-2011, 11:26
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this, but what was some tricks to stay awake? Walking around at night navigating after all that had to be done would make most tired. Do you have any tricks to help this?

Also is the mentor-warrior site down? I can't seem to find it.

prometheus_207
05-03-2011, 19:22
'Poet'Cramer,

Worry not about falling asleep during the Star. There's too much adrenaline and you're mind is too focused for even thinking about being sleepy. If anything, you may even get the urge to run.

How anyone can fall asleep during a graded examination, especially land-nav, is beyond me.

The Reaper
05-03-2011, 20:08
'Poet'Cramer,

Worry not about falling asleep during the Star. There's too much adrenaline and you're mind is too focused for even thinking about being sleepy. If anything, you may even get the urge to run.

How anyone can fall asleep during a graded examination, especially land-nav, is beyond me.

You sit down under a tree, and close your eyes.

TR

ZonieDiver
05-03-2011, 20:49

We once had a guy fall asleep while we were running if formation. People thought he'd had a heart attack, but he fell asleep and fell down.

If you are tired enough, you can fall asleep anywhere!

gumby2/6
05-03-2011, 20:53
We once had a guy fall asleep while we were running if formation. People thought he'd had a heart attack, but he fell asleep and fell down.

Yup, I've caught myself drifting off more than once on a ruck march.. good times:)

wet dog
05-04-2011, 05:39
I fell asleep once reading one of Richard's post.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
it's not that I didn't find it interesting, I got tired looking up words I normally don't use everyday.

Same could be said for several others.

Staying awake during a ruck march requires you hold onto the ruck sack straps of the soldier in front of you.

Dusty
05-04-2011, 05:42
I fell asleep once reading one of Richard's post.

Damn, Bro! :D:D:D

Richard
05-04-2011, 06:15

You got that one right - I fell asleep on a patrol one night/morning standing in 3'-4' of water leaning against a tree. Scared the s**t out of me when I woke up until I realized it must have only been for a few seconds and we hadn't moved yet.

Keep it up WD and I'll figure out a way to use pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis in a discussion on UW medical training. :D :D

Dusty
05-04-2011, 06:47
You got that one right - I fell asleep on a patrol one night/morning standing in 3'-4' of water leaning against a tree. Scared the s**t out of me when I woke up until I realized it must have only been for a few seconds and we hadn't moved yet.

Keep it up WD and I'll figure out a way to use pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis in a discussion on UW medical training. :D :D

That's easy-a description of the lung disease found in breast transplant recipients caused by the teensy virus released when Mt. Kona erupted.

Dhoust
05-09-2011, 11:19
I've been following the SWCS SFAS PT Prep program and incorporated the Military Athlete 6-week training program for the APFT on the "easy" days. I followed the "Get Selected!" program for my first physical preparation plan and it was not only effective at getting my body in gear for more difficult challenges, but also getting in the right mindset.

arma36
05-11-2011, 16:18
Have a question for the more experienced guys here on the forum. I was given this website from a buddy who is currently in the Q course, so I apologize for not having more posts.

Quick background, I am an FSO currently in the 173ABCT. Recently got back from OEF X and came down on the ARSOF memo last month to go to selection in FEB 2012. Could not be more happy, as this is what I have wanted since I knew what SF was.

As far as training for SFAS, I have heard so many different stories and ideas from guys in my unit I would love if I could get a little bit of clarity. I am already Ranger qualified, Class 06-09. I am PCS'ing to the CCC next month, and was planning on essentially following the same Pre-Ranger training plan we did during my OBC.

My question is are there any glaring differences in the preperation that would be needed between Ranger School and SFAS that would require me to tweak my workout plans? I have seen websites that group Ranger and SFAS workouts together, but would love to hear from the "horses mouth"

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer. Sky Soldiers!

Dusty
05-11-2011, 16:22
Read everything you can get your hands on and follow instructions. Don't be a spring-butt.

You can start right here on this very forum.

arma36
05-11-2011, 16:30
Read everything you can get your hands on and follow instructions. Don't be a spring-butt.

You can start right here on this very forum.

Never was a fan of spotlight rangers. I have been spending a good amount of my free time reading this forum and will continue to do so in the future. Thanks!

The Reaper
05-11-2011, 19:26
Never was a fan of spotlight rangers. I have been spending a good amount of my free time reading this forum and will continue to do so in the future. Thanks!

You might want to start your reading with the board rules, and comply with them.

So far, you are missing something.

TR

wet dog
05-11-2011, 20:20
My question is are there any glaring differences in the preperation that would be needed between Ranger School and SFAS....

group Ranger and SFAS workouts together...

No obvisous "glaring differences" other than SF requires a higher level of intelligence and the ability to follow instructions in the absence of direct supervision.

Have a very SF day!

33army
05-12-2011, 11:13
....the ability to follow instructions in the absence of direct supervision.

If I might add to that, and please correct me if I am wrong, its a self-motivated course. There are no Cadre trying to push or motivate through the course, minus a few brief instances. You must motivate yourself to make the next mile or find the next point. Just my $.02. I'll take cover now for speaking out of line.

upchuck
05-22-2011, 13:24
'Poet'Cramer,

I had to start doing all my map checks standing up on day #2.

jko337
05-27-2011, 23:22
Hello Gentlemen,

Had a quick question about being invited to the selection. Quick background on me. I'm an ADA guy who's serving as a company XO (1LT) in 1st Space BDE, located in Colorado springs, CO. Reason i'm posting this thread is i got rejected to go to Selection. I submitted my SF packet in 2010 August and was training for it (following the 12 week program that was on SORB website and "Get Selected) until i found out this month that i wasn't invited. I just wanted to ask the QPs here that what i need to improve in my packet in order to earn the chance to go to the selection, now that i'm preparing for out of year group waiver. Far as i know i wasn't missing anything from the packet (my recruiter and I went over everything in fine tooth comb) and was under the impression that everyone was invited to the selection. I had decent PT score at the time I submitted (290 then, 300 now), I already had spoken another language (3/3 in Korean) that was indicated in the ORB, and I have, not that it matters much, TS clearance. I searched for this type of thread/post on the website but couldn't find anything. Any advise will be appreciated it gentlemen. Thank you.

The Reaper
05-28-2011, 07:34
Hello Gentlemen,

Had a quick question about being invited to the selection. Quick background on me. I'm an ADA guy who's serving as a company XO (1LT) in 1st Space BDE, located in Colorado springs, CO. Reason i'm posting this thread is i got rejected to go to Selection. I submitted my SF packet in 2010 August and was training for it (following the 12 week program that was on SORB website and "Get Selected) until i found out this month that i wasn't invited. I just wanted to ask the QPs here that what i need to improve in my packet in order to earn the chance to go to the selection, now that i'm preparing for out of year group waiver. Far as i know i wasn't missing anything from the packet (my recruiter and I went over everything in fine tooth comb) and was under the impression that everyone was invited to the selection. I had decent PT score at the time I submitted (290 then, 300 now), I already had spoken another language (3/3 in Korean) that was indicated in the ORB, and I have, not that it matters much, TS clearance. I searched for this type of thread/post on the website but couldn't find anything. Any advise will be appreciated it gentlemen. Thank you.

A better search and some more reading here might help.

You might also try calling SF Branch and speaking with the Accessions Officer.

No, not all officer applicants are invited to SFAS. They have a list, and select the top applicants from each Year Group. The board looks at a number of factors, to include academic transcripts, OERs, physical fitness, etc.

Some YGs might have a lot of applicants, some not so many. We can usually afford to be picky, so we are. Priority goes to the current YG, out of YG accessions are usuallly to fill a weak YG with better qualified officers.

Hope that answers your question, best of luck.

TR

Blueboy
05-29-2011, 10:58
Having recently served my time in purgatory (aka SF Branch at HRC), I can say that the the number of officers desiring to try out for SF far outstrips the available SFAS slots. SF has always been a popular choice for young officers, more so now given our recent history. That said, ARSOF board members are very selective on who they pick to attend SFAS and they look for discriminators---a Ranger Tab and combat time as a platoon leader are at the top of the list.

Firefighter655
05-31-2011, 20:19
I follow the military.com ranger/sf prep guide as well as run about 20-30 miles a week (just finished my first half marathon/and am working to complete a full). Anything else I could do to improve my physical preperation. I welcome the advice from any Quiet Professionals or welcome any other canidates to let me know what is working or has worked.

AllAmerican
06-02-2011, 10:36
jko337: I am in the same boat as you are. I was confident I had a strong packet (108 DLAB, 300+ PT, strong resume) and was confused when I was notified that my packet was not selected. I went back to my recruiter to get copies of all my paperwork only to find that all of my updated documents that I had submitted to my recruiter were not included in my packet (old PT card, old ORB, old resume, no DLAB memo, etc.).

For your Out of Year Group packet, make sure you have strong letters of recommendation. I talked to the guys over at SORB and along with one from your BN commander, they suggested having one or two LORs from an SF officer if at all possible (the higher ranking the better). Obviously don't submit a PT card with anything less than a 300. Because of my experience with my initial packet, I will be hand-carrying my OOYG packet to proponency. Once they receive your packet you should hear something back in a few weeks. They told me ideally I could still go to SFAS within the calendar year if I re-submit my packet ASAP.

Hope this helps and good luck.

wet dog
06-02-2011, 10:42
I follow the military.com ranger/sf prep guide as well as run about 20-30 miles a week (just finished my first half marathon/and am working to complete a full). Anything else I could do to improve my physical preperation. I welcome the advice from any Quiet Professionals or welcome any other canidates to let me know what is working or has worked.

Read everything, become a student of history, literally.

Roboterlein
06-02-2011, 12:02
I got laid off a little while ago and not having a job is draining my finances so...

Since I don't have access to a gym nor do I know someone with lift equipment, I just workout with what I have.

I run every other day, alternating distance for time with speed/hill workouts. I typically run between 2 and 6 miles, depending on the weather and my schedule (which is pretty much nonexistent).

The days I don't run, I ruck. I packed an old backpack of mine full with textbooks and got it up to 40lbs dry. It had a strap for back support but it broke on my last 8-miler so I tied some twine across it and cinched the shoulder straps as high as they'll go and I haven't had any problems. I do between 4 and 12 miles for rucks, alternating between timed and "beat up my feet for distance" on a gravel/asphalt/dirt/wood-chip trail that runs through town.

I don't have lift equipment so I do pushups, both traditional and handstand. I do them all day long, all the time, using other stuff for pacers. Wash a few dishes, do pushups, commercials on TV, do pushups, finish a chapter, do pushups. I do the same with situps and pullups, alternating between the variations of each, including towels for the pullups.

I did so many situps in a day last week, I wore a carpet burn on my rear-end that's still bothering me. I think I overdid that one a little bit.

So far, my upperbody's ok. I can do 30 pullups straight, 110 pushups, but my situps are lacking (down in the 60 range). My run times need a lot of work and my ruck times are averaging 13:30min/mile.

I don't do just pushups, situps and pullups. I do all the variations thereof plus pretty much anything I can do here at home or out on the trail without the equipment I don't have.

Wednesday is PT/Future Soldier Training with the local recruiters. If we don't do PT, that and Sunday are my rest days.

A fellow 18xer was kind enough to send me his copy of "Get Selected." I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. I am very excited to have that incoming.

Isshin2
06-13-2011, 23:05
I’ve tailored a workout to fit my needs on what I feel that I need to improve and for what I want to sustain. For endurance, I am currently preparing for a full marathon in September. Bagram Airfield will be hosting a marathon for the Air Force Birthday. I am able to ruck march once a week, and have been steadily working to increasing mileage.

For strength and muscular endurance, I alternate a strength training day, with a kettlebell circuit day. I have been able to steadily increase my strength while also increasing my functional strength.

Running: I try to log a minimum of 25 to 30 miles a week, with increasing
mileage each week.

Strength: Every other day: Bench Press – 5 sets of 5 reps
Deadlift – 5 sets of 5 reps
Pull-Ups – 5 sets of Max reps

I round this off with abdominal and core exercises.

Kettlebell: I do circuits on opposite days of strength. I start with a short 15 to 20 minute interval run to warm up. For the Kettlebell, I vary the exercises to keep it fun, but I keep the basics such as the Kettlebell swing, the snatch and the clean & press. I pick 10 exercises, perform 10-15 reps per exercise and do at least three circuits. I finish the circuits with a full body exercise, such as Burpees, using the Tabata method.

Eventually, I will incorporate rope climbing into my regiment. They just put a rope up near our gym tent and one of the soldiers deployed with me, teaches ROTC cadets how to climb. I will learn from him and practice until I am very proficient at the task.

Mentally: When I have down time, I read books. The books I have with me are the Army Map and Land Navigation FM and Get Selected. I just reread them when I’m finished. I also read the forums on Professional Soldiers.

xfjon
06-20-2011, 10:42
5 Week plan I put together.
Leaving in September.
Couldn't upload to the forum so I uploaded it to an external site.
Enjoy.

http://www.2shared.com/file/AMfwp9Ht/SFAS_5_Week_PT_Plan__Weights_.html

allen87
06-20-2011, 16:46
I keep it very simple. I run one day and ruck the next. I usually cover distances of about 5 miles in the fastest time I can. I also do push ups, sit ups, and pull ups in sets of three or four until failure. If on the third day I am not too sore I will go to the gym and work on the free weights and some machines and finish with 30-45 mins of low impact cardio. Then I take a day off and repeat.

Murak
06-21-2011, 11:03
I've been following the training program provided by SORB for the past four weeks, seen significant improvement in every area.

www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf

Charlie mic.

The Reaper
06-21-2011, 11:30
I've been following the training program provided by SORB for the past four weeks, seen significant improvement in every area.

Charlie mic.

That is what we recommend.

You people designing your own exotic programs and ignoring the one recommeded by the school are assuming risk.

TR

Digger25
06-24-2011, 10:16
My preparation includes:

3-4 runs/8-9 days: 7 miler (~54 min), 5.5 miler (~40 min), 2 miler (~13 min), and an interval run (8 timed 1/4 mile laps @ 1:20 with 2:30 rests). These are alternated with:

Crossfit 3-4X/week: usually centered around 1 strenth day, 1 high speed high intensity day, and a purely calisthenics day.

1 Ruck/week: I'm up to 5 miles with ~55 lbs. I'm usually around a 14:30 m/m pace.

I just bought "Get Selected"; Great advice, especially on footcare! I ship in Nov. and looking forward to the challenge. Any advice/critiques are much appreciated.

personal bests:
84 pushups (2 min)
81 situps (2 min)
2 miles 12:30

Murak
06-24-2011, 10:37
In regards to the SORB routine I would be more than willing to assist any member with the structure of it. I had the pleasure of helping another already by sending them the entire program in a week-by-week view to include running, PT, and ruck workouts via microsoft word. Some exercises are confusing so I created a definitions table to describe the proper way on performing the exercise. If anyone would like a copy you can pm me and I will get it to you as quickly as possible, charlie mic.

Amobir
07-13-2011, 21:16
Although I am not training for SFAS, the Israeli Defence Forces' selection process is not too different from what I understand. I have been training in Crossfit for about 4 months and recently I have taken on this specific schedule designed by Rob Ord of Brass Ring Fitness:

Monday-Crossfit (AM). Selection specific training (PM).
Tuesday-Crossfit (AM). Selection specific training (PM).
Wednesday-Crossfit.
Thursday-Selection specific training.
Friday-Crossfit (AM). Selection specific training (PM).
Saturday/Sunday rest.

The "selection specific training" usually consists of rucking, running, fireman carries, crawling, sprint training, pullups, pushups, situps, etc.

P.S In addition to physical training I also pray 3 times daily, read many books, and consciously practice honesty, integrity, and reliability.

Blind Eye
07-18-2011, 15:46

Charlie mic.

What I don't understand is in this instructional guide above, is how the main points that they give on foot care is the exact opposite advice Major Joe Martin details in "Get Selected".

They advise filing/scrubbing the hard calloused portions of your feet down till they're smooth.
VS
Joe Martin gives advice on how to actually make your skin callous faster, by walking barefoot, training till you have hot spots and not using poly liner sock when training so you develop them.

They advise to use lotion often on your feet and extra attention (lotion) to your callouses.
VS
Joe Martin says to use an alcohol bath after marches and spraying your feet with Arrid xx dry durring training to close off the sweat glands and also toughen feet (and dries them out, not moisturizes).

They also talk about using different lubes on your feet for certain portion of training (wet portions).
VS
Joe Martin preaches "keep your feet dry" moisture+friction causes blisters.

So maybe some of our more experienced members could shed some light on this contradictory statements.

Murak
07-19-2011, 04:44
I am not an experienced member and am only replying as this is an open thread, treading lightly in hopes I did not over step my boundaries. Hope this helps Blind Eye, charlie mic.

Furry,

GET SELECTED is the conversation we would have if you and I sat down and had a detailed discussion about preparing for SFAS. I had this conversation with several Soldiers who had asked me long before even getting involved with the SOPC program.

Perhaps you missed the section of the book, where I said this is what worked for me. If you have the same conversation with any other SF Soldier and ask the EXACT SAME questions, you'll get different answers. BUT, over time, as you ask more and more, you'll find similarities.

And then you should go TEST what works for you.

Best of luck.
WM

33army
07-19-2011, 07:29
In "caveman" terms, find out what works for you. Get Selected and this forum are just an information "Baseline", or a starting point if you will. Search for what you are looking for and use common sense when you go out and try it. If it works, continue to train. If it causes the bottom of your feet to fall off, well you obviously learned from that mistake so adjust fire and continue to train. I am not a QP, but I think there may be a reoccuring theme here. Don't look for the easy answer here. The hard way usually works better. That's just my $.02.

Slantwire
07-19-2011, 07:33
What I don't understand is in this instructional guide above, is how the main points that they give on foot care is the exact opposite advice Major Joe Martin details in "Get Selected".

Two answers.

First, generally, there's more than one way to skin a cat. SORB's recommendation may work for you. LTC Martin's recommendations definitely worked for me.

Second, the specific examples you cite are not as contradictory as they may appear at first glance. More a case of "different actions in different circumstances."

They advise filing/scrubbing the hard calloused portions of your feet down till they're smooth.
VS
Joe Martin gives advice on how to actually make your skin callous faster, by walking barefoot, training till you have hot spots and not using poly liner sock when training so you develop them.

They advise to use lotion often on your feet and extra attention (lotion) to your callouses.
VS
Joe Martin says to use an alcohol bath after marches and spraying your feet with Arrid xx dry durring training to close off the sweat glands and also toughen feet (and dries them out, not moisturizes).

These are both examples of "maintaining what you've built up," vs "how you build it up in the first place."

What happens to callouses as they age and dry out? Those thick pads of skin will harden and crack, until you have to tear it off and start all over. If you've got a consistent pressure in a consistent place, you'll get creased edges, which will also harden.

Smooth out the hardened spots so they don't catch and tear. Don't file off the good part of the callous.

They also talk about using different lubes on your feet for certain portion of training (wet portions).
VS
Joe Martin preaches "keep your feet dry" moisture+friction causes blisters.

Ever waterproof anything? Maybe stain a deck? Sure, the barrier coat isn't "dry," but how much water does the wood absorb in the next rain?

Blind Eye
07-19-2011, 08:38
I assumed both ways could work for different individuals, and better for some than others. I just thought it was odd that one says to keep your feet moisturized and nice ans soft, while the other tells you to toughen them up and dry them out.

I myself tend to believe that toughening your feet is the better route and thats the way I've been preparing them.

Though I can understand the point SORB is making by saying that it is a lot harder to treat blisters once they form under the calloused area. I just think that the prevention of the blisters in the form of calloused hot spot areas seems smarter than it being easier to address the issue once it happens.

Slantwire
07-19-2011, 13:14
I assumed both ways could work for different individuals, and better for some than others. I just thought it was odd that one says to keep your feet moisturized and nice ans soft, while the other tells you to toughen them up and dry them out.

You missed my point. WM's advice addresses someone trying to toughen up soft feet. The SORB recommendation is targeted to someone who already has good callouses. They don't say to have your feet be "nice and soft," they give advice to keep that leathery pad from coming off like an old scab.

So first you build callouses (WM). Then you have to maintain them (SORB). Over time, that thick pad of dead skin (that you spent so much effort to build) will dry out, harden, crack, and fall off your foot. The new skin underneath is as soft and tender as though you never started. So delay the hardening with lotion. Once parts have hardened, file down hard edges or cracks to prevent them from catching and tearing.

Blind Eye
07-20-2011, 19:08
Ok, roger that Slantwire.

Thank you for the clairification that makes a lot more sense. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

TimberWolf82
07-25-2011, 10:57

33army
07-26-2011, 07:28
I would kill to have that much free time to train.

wet dog
09-02-2011, 23:31
I could post the attached link in any number of threads, but thought it would reach a larger audience of students who need land navigation resources.

http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/

Enjoy.

"When I enlisted, I thought I'd see the world. Never thought I'd have to walk it."

airbornediver
09-04-2011, 12:00
MWF during lunch
3x 29 pushups
3x 15 closehand(diamond) pushups
3x 15 wide arm pushups
3x 30 situps
3x 30 crunches
3x 30 flutter kicks

M-F during lunch
pullups

M-Fri PM
M - 2 mile run (as quick as possible) + weight lifting at gym
Tu - 5 mile cross country ruck
W - 4 mile run + weight lifting at gym
Th - 2 mile run (as quick as possible)
Fri - 5 mile cross country ruck + gym

Sat - 6 mile run cross country.

Sun - 8 mile ruck over cross country.

Next week will be a repeat of the run mileage (just started hitting solid flat 7s on the 2 milers), but the ruck mileage for each of the 3 ruck days will be @ 8.

Following week will see an increase in mileage and ruck mileage will go to 10.

Horned Frog
09-08-2011, 11:08
Maybe I am over-simplifying the solution, but I am just following the workout schedule listed in USAREC Pamphlet 601-25, In-Service Special Forces Recruiting Program. It's a 5 week, alternating hard/easy day workout designed (or so I understand) by USAREC to prepare current soldiers for success at SFAS.
I'd like to ask the opinion of anyone familiar with this publication what they would recommend doing on "easy" days. Right now I am focusing on push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups in order to improve APFT scores, but the pamphlet is unclear as to whether I should do free weight exercises on my off days as well. I appreciate y'alls time and help.

wet dog
09-08-2011, 12:39
Maybe I am over-simplifying the solution, but I am just following the workout schedule listed in USAREC Pamphlet 601-25, In-Service Special Forces Recruiting Program. It's a 5 week, alternating hard/easy day workout designed (or so I understand) by USAREC to prepare current soldiers for success at SFAS.
I'd like to ask the opinion of anyone familiar with this publication what they would recommend doing on "easy" days. Right now I am focusing on push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups in order to improve APFT scores, but the pamphlet is unclear as to whether I should do free weight exercises on my off days as well. I appreciate y'alls time and help.

On easy days, conduct a PT test, go all out in performace, what you'll have is a 30-45 min. workout, followed by an hour of swim/pool time, but go easy. Hot tub, lots of stretching of warm muscles.

Your body needs rest, so do it.

For me, fitness means, strength, endurance, and flexibility. I loved easy days as much as napping on Grandma's sofa.

Horned Frog
09-08-2011, 12:46
Thanks WD for the advice I'll incorporate that into my schedule.

MG*
09-13-2011, 13:04
To prepare physically I've been working on keeping my years of weightlifting strength up while adding endurance for strength over time. I PT twice a day; in the morning I do my cardio (6 days a week) and a plyometric workout (3 days a week, alternating) along the lines of "Get Selected," my USMC training, and my days of high school track and field. In the evening I lift heavy weights (4x a week). I eat like a horse to stay at the same size but make sure that I can carry my weight with speed for long distances. I'm naturally over 200 and I'd like to stay that way :lifter.

On Sundays I do a rucksack march with another 18X from my recruiting battalion. We're working up to 100 pounds for 12 miles at around a 12-13 minute pace, and we're at 60 pounds now for 12 miles at that pace.

Twice a month I do a PT test on a Sunday to replace a cardio/plyometric workout; I'm trying to beat a perfect APFT by 5-10%.

I get out into the woods as often as possible with friends or alone to camp and hunt and fish. When I'm out (about once a month) I go to a national park and get a map and plot 5-6 points to practice my land navigation, and I review my handy land navigation manual (http://www.uvm.edu/~goldbar/FM3_25.26.pdf). I'm planning to do a nighttime long distance navigation sometime in the next few months.

Mentally, I read daily for about 2-3 hours. Military history, tactics, field manuals, outdoor manuals, the ranger handbook, and about every book I can find on selection and green beret history.

Basically I just make sure that I'm better and more prepared than I was yesterday, and view my training as a routine and way of life.

Razor
09-15-2011, 13:31
We're working up to 100 pounds for 12 miles at around a 12-13 minute pace, and we're at 60 pounds now for 12 miles at that pace.

Why stop there? You should shoot for 250lbs for 25 miles, 5 days a week. That'll really get you set for success. Some folks just have to learn the hard way, I guess. :rolleyes:

Roboterlein
09-15-2011, 21:12
I've read "Get Selected" and am rereading sections at a time as I get closer to shipping. Work (roofing) seems to get in the way of any consistent workout schedule so I try to do as much as possible while on the job. When I'm not at work, I cycle more than I run as I've found it helped my pace more than actual running did (for some reason?). I do a lot of pushups, situps, and pullups. When it's raining too hard to roof, it seems like those are all I do those days.

The only consistent schedule I've had is that I've been rucking on the weekends, twice a weekend, regardless of weather or on-goings. I use a 40lbs dry-pack for 4, 6, 8, or 12 miles in that cycle and try to maintain a 13minute-per-mile pace.

When I get out of work early enough, I also coach/wrestle/practice/workout with the local high school wrestling team (they're now having off-season prep). I myself wrestle competitively with a different association since I graduated and help coach high school teams when it's that time of year.

I am very excited.

33army
09-16-2011, 07:26
[color=pink]Why stop there? You should shoot for 250lbs for 25 miles, 5 days a week.

Beat me to the punch. I can see a very hard lesson being learned in his near future. Standing by to watch the train wreck.:munchin

MG*
09-16-2011, 09:38
Beat me to the punch. I can see a very hard lesson being learned in his near future. Standing by to watch the train wreck.:munchin

And what might that lesson be?

33army
09-16-2011, 11:51
And what might that lesson be?

The lesson is that training with that much weight is a bad decision. Ask any QP on this forum and they will tell you that. All that will do is cause unnecessary injuries and stress. Use the search button and type in the word RUCK and you will understand. Any QP may correct me if I am out of line for saying this but what you are doing is quite stupid. But by all means, don't take the advice from guys who have been doing this longer than you and I have been alive.

MG*
09-16-2011, 12:08
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into it and consider reevaluating my training program regarding ruck marches.

P.S. I don't really like your tone, check yourself 33army.

33army
09-16-2011, 12:30
.....check yourself 33army.

No offense meant by my post MG*, I just state things bluntly. Hopefully when you finish college and receive your commission as a 2LT in the Army you remember that the people with the experience are usually the NCOs.

RobertJordan
09-16-2011, 12:34
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into it and consider reevaluating my training program regarding ruck marches.

Really?

33army gave you some solid advice that will likely improve your chances of achieving your goals. If you read all the rucking advice on this forum and in "Get Selected" you'd soon realize how outrageous your training program is. If you can do it, more power to you, but is it worth the risk? Maybe now you can start training yourself to have a thicker skin.

MG*
09-16-2011, 13:05
No offense meant by my post MG*, I just state things bluntly. Hopefully when you finish college and receive your commission as a 2LT in the Army you remember that the people with the experience are usually the NCOs.

No offense taken. I've actually chosen enlistment over the officer route so that I can get that valuable NCO experience. Best of luck to you at selection. I hope you have a good one too Robert Jordan.

99meters
09-16-2011, 16:22
Work (roofing) seems to get in the way of any consistent workout schedule so I try to do as much as possible while on the job.

I would read what some of you guys (not you) are doing and wonder if you guys had jobs. It seems like you need to be a full-time athlete to get ready for SFAS.

The Reaper
09-16-2011, 17:26

Maybe you will like mine better.

The point he reiterated has been made in numerous threads on preparing for SFAS here. Along with a lot of other helpful tips, like following the prescribed PT prep program. More is not necessarily better. Searching and reading is fundamental, and doesn't cost anything.

Just like riding a bike will not condition your feet, which is a big part of the reason for running and rucking.

TR

TB1077
09-16-2011, 17:32
For me, I have the reality that I have to work my training around my job. That means running 3-4 days a week at 6 before I go to work, rucking at least twice a week at 9 or 10 at night after dinner, and push ups/sit ups/pull ups whenever I can everyday.

I also look at my job as training in areas that I feel will be quite important to selection (such as teamwork, commitment, communications, etc.). From what I understand the mental aspect seems to be a very important part of selection...

I'm going with the keep it simple approach. Varying run and ruck distances on varying terrain (never using more than a 35-40 lb ruck). Taking care of my feet and the rest of my body. Wearing my boots as much as possible. And keeping it fun so I don't burn myself out.

MG*
09-16-2011, 18:47
I would read what some of you guys (not you) are doing and wonder if you guys had jobs. It seems like you need to be a full-time athlete to get ready for SFAS.

I do have a job as a personal trainer, so you're pretty much spot on.

Maybe you will like mine better.

The point he reiterated has been made in numerous threads on preparing for SFAS here. Along with a lot of other helpful tips, like following the prescribed PT prep program. More is not necessarily better. Searching and reading is fundamental, and doesn't cost anything.

Just like riding a bike will not condition your feet, which is a big part of the reason for running and rucking.

TR

Thanks for the advice TR, I'll shut up now and do some more research.

Roboterlein
09-19-2011, 21:16

Yeah, it throws me for a loop every time I read through countless posts listing their daily routines. I've had a daily routine of sorts, but helping to provide for the family gets in the way sometimes. Some people are in a good spot to have both, like MG there being a Personal Fitness Trainer.

Despite that, my work is physically rigorous and demanding. We roofed most of the day today in the rain, slipping and sliding up and down the slope, trying to get all of our boards screwed down so we could put tile on them. Then I came home and helped set up booths for the local festival before I went and split wood for later in the winter. That's how nearly every day looks for me. I might not be able to tell you how many dead-lifts, curls, or calf-extensions I can do, but I can tell you that for the last 2 weeks, I've carried stacks of tile uphill for 10 hours a day, that I can do 30+ pullups straight because I force myself to do them every time I walk through the basement door, and that I try as hard as possible to do my best every time with everything.

I am very excited.

head
09-19-2011, 21:48
I'm sure some of the time you took to type that could have been spent on PT.

I will say be careful not to trade sleep for training time, as a good night rest and a good diet are going to improve your fitness than extra tired garbage miles. But, overall, time management is important - it's amazing how much time we lose needlessly.

Of course, it's easier for single guys with no jobs, but my first point stands. ;)

Digger25
09-20-2011, 07:17

I will say be careful not to trade sleep for training time, as a good night rest and a good diet are going to improve your fitness than extra tired garbage miles. But, overall, time management is important - it's amazing how much time we lose needlessly.

Head, I think you're right on with the time management and good night rest/good diet for improved fitness...question though: twice a week, I attend crossfit in the AM, and run in the afternoons, and twice I CF and ruck. The runs definitely feel like "extra tired garbage miles" after CF, but I'm trying to follow this (pg. 61) http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf as closely as possible. I'm thinking the rucks are the most important part of my training for a whole host of reasons therefore, I'm focusing on those the most. What do you think?

head
09-20-2011, 10:55
Head, I think you're right on with the time management and good night rest/good diet for improved fitness...question though: twice a week, I attend crossfit in the AM, and run in the afternoons, and twice I CF and ruck. The runs definitely feel like "extra tired garbage miles" after CF, but I'm trying to follow this (pg. 61) http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf as closely as possible. I'm thinking the rucks are the most important part of my training for a whole host of reasons therefore, I'm focusing on those the most. What do you think?

I'm not going to evaluate anyone's workout plan... there's enough recommendations on here. Each run should have some sort of reason, whether it's pace, recovery, distance, # of hill repeats - if you find yourself continually falling short of your goal for that day's run (and it's not due to mental weakness) - it may be time for a break.

Roboterlein
09-20-2011, 21:45

Of course, it's easier for single guys with no jobs, but my first point stands. ;)

Understood, thank you.

33army
09-22-2011, 07:52
if you find yourself continually falling short of your goal for that day's run (and it's not due to mental weakness) - it may be time for a break.

I think this is the one thing that most of us forget. Hard training for long periods is good but eventually your body needs a break. I took a week to do good stretching exercises and light workouts. Then went back to my harder training and the results were very noticeable.

WHeid
10-03-2011, 09:06
I have broken up my prep program into a couple of phases.

Currently in Phase 1
Muscle isolation to put on mass, rucking and running.
Most of my workouts are weightlifting with some crossfit to keep the heart rate up.

Phase 2
This will be my "sculpting" phase. Taking the built muscle and focusing on endurance, agility, balance, accuracy and other such activities. My goal here is to take the muscle I pack on and mold it to be as functional as possible.
Mostly crossfit, running and swimming.

Phase 3
Maintain and build. This phase is where I will maintain current levels of fitness and strive to grow the muscles that I have now molded into their more functional forms.

This is my current plan. I just picked up Get Selected and it should be at my house by the time I'm home from my current tour

deepheart
10-09-2011, 13:28
I am currently in week 2 of the 8 week Ruck Based Selection Prep Program by Rob Shaul at militaryathlete.com. The rucking and work capacity workouts along with the sandbag getup exercise with an 80lb sandbag is helping to produce some great results. I recommend it to anyone and will be more than happy to provide a copy of it. Just PM me with your e-mail address and I will get it to you.

catnamedivan
02-17-2012, 21:34
(1) 5-week 'official' program offered by recruiters, (2) working 10-12hrs/day in landscaping/irrigation in the North Texas spring until my ship date, and (3) mixing in some of military.com's Stew Smith workouts for variety.

gumby2/6
02-17-2012, 21:44
Just got invited to join a training team. Prep is running, rucking, and bodyweight exercises with a bit of swimming thrown in.. keepin' it simple.

Gus
02-18-2012, 12:32
Not counting the joke that my unit calls pt, I do crossfit after work. I try to get at least 2 rucks a week in there as well. Now off to do more pt! :lifter

iusethisforgood
02-22-2012, 17:09
Like many others, I've been using this manual from SORB (http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf) a basis for my workout schedule.

Some of the exercises were foreign to me, but looking them up on youtube with the proper way to execute the movement was very helpful.

I agree with the QP's that creating your own exotic workout plan is ineffective at best and hazardous at worst. The guy's at SORB know their stuff.

Metalmilitia
04-24-2012, 22:09
I went through a stage where I was trying to mix crossfit and sealfit with normal PT. Result: ended up feeling over trained and weak for a couple weeks.:boohoo After reading some of the QP's advice about sticking to the basics, I'm mainly just doing Stew Smith's Ranger/SF program for the runs, rucks, and high rep calisthenics involved and spicing it up with rope climbs, burpees, hand stand pushups, etc. Thankyou QP's for the advice regarding simplicity; a lot of these programs seem to involve so much work that there's never really any chance for recovery.

Bishop
04-25-2012, 10:01
Deleted by user.

The Reaper
04-25-2012, 16:34
Bishop:

If you are not currently a member of the US military, you are not going to SFAS.

Your prep therefore, is academic and does not belong in this thread as it will never be evaluated against the standard.

Best of luck.

TR

Bishop
04-25-2012, 17:58
Bishop:

If you are not currently a member of the US military, you are not going to SFAS.

Your prep therefore, is academic and does not belong in this thread as it will never be evaluated against the standard.

Best of luck.

TR

Yes indeed, honestly I am not even sure what the danish version is called, so much that needs to be answered.

Edit: Actually I will just delete the post so it doesn't violate the rules.

mud slinger
05-18-2012, 15:40
Day 1- Run 4-5 miles on fire breaks, chest and tri-ceps
Day 2- Bike " stationary " for 25-30 mins, back and bi-ceps.
Day 3- Ruck 4-6 miles on fire breaks, shoulders and neck.
Day 4- Run or bike.
Day 5- OFF

Before each gym workout I will warm up with 3 sets of 10 chin-ups, 10 cable shoulder raises, 10 one arm lat pull-downs and 25 push ups.

Once I hit the 6th day I will start back over on day 1.

Also since I am going to SFAS in June I try to do all my runs and rucks in the middle of the day.

* Ruck weight is at 55lbs and I never ruck run. I don't know the standards for SFAS but I'm at 1245-1330 minute mile pace and I feel if I go any faster I would be running.

Hope this helps some out. Good Luck with your training and SFAS.

Team Sergeant
05-18-2012, 15:49
Day 1- Run 4-5 miles on fire breaks, chest and tri-ceps
Day 2- Bike " stationary " for 25-30 mins, back and bi-ceps.
Day 3- Ruck 4-6 miles on fire breaks, shoulders and neck.
Day 4- Run or bike.
Day 5- OFF

Before each gym workout I will warm up with 3 sets of 10 chin-ups, 10 cable shoulder raises, 10 one arm lat pull-downs and 25 push ups.

Once I hit the 6th day I will start back over on day 1.

Also since I am going to SFAS in June I try to do all my runs and rucks in the middle of the day.

Hope this helps some out. Good Luck with your training and SFAS.

I think I used to do your entire day 1 - 4 "everyday" (and then some) preparing for the SFQC........:munchin

(I was doing 75 miles a week just on the runs, 100 situps and 100 pushups to warm up before each 10-15 mile run.)

mud slinger
05-18-2012, 16:04
I will keep that in mind when I am training for " SFQC ". :munchin

Team Sergeant
05-18-2012, 18:42

Yes you do that. Many of us didn't have a "get ready" course for the Q-Course. You were either ready or you were not.

Just remember this post if and when you've spent twenty years in and some new guy posts the following:

"Yeah, Hi, I'm going to walk around that block three times and think about rucking real hard while I get ready for the SFAS-III, the precursor to SFAS-II, precursor to SFAS and then the Q-Course."

Then again when certain SF Commanders have a "mandate" that they will "graduate" a certain number of SF recruits something's got to give.

Enjoy your 4 mile runs, Spartan.

Team Sergeant

ZonieDiver
05-18-2012, 19:31

If your SA does not significantly improve from its current state, as demonstrated by this post, I'd say you have little chance of ever donning a Green Beret. MOO

PedOncoDoc
05-18-2012, 20:07

Does your name happen to be Rex Kramer??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7S5BP-tvR8)

(Sprinting back to my lane now.)

MK262MOD1
05-18-2012, 20:22
Ha

mud slinger
05-19-2012, 09:50
Thanks for the feedback and motivation.

For all users. How many miles do you run and ruck at one time/week?

greenberetTFS
05-19-2012, 10:46
If your SA does not significantly improve from its current state, as demonstrated by this post, I'd say you have little chance of ever donning a Green Beret. MOO

Absolutely true young tiger,read and learn.........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
05-19-2012, 11:34

02Prove
05-19-2012, 12:32
Crossfit supplemented with long runs in the morning or evening.
I am still a long way away from SFAS though.

rebilosserppoed
05-29-2012, 20:10
I strongly recommend incorporating a climbing wall and climbing ropes into your workout routine. There isn't a better way to work out your forearms or grip strength. Reading the book "Get Selected" should be a goal for anyone serious about going to SFAS as well. The QP's offer a wealth of information on this site and it should be thoroughly searched. Thank you to the men who offer their wisdom freely.

Sonofagunny
06-15-2012, 10:19
Shooting for the Sept class.

Weekday Mornings I am PTing with the local SF Recruiting Batt. They regularly break us all off with runs, circuits, and ruck runs. My muscles burn most days...

I just bought a compass, local grid map, and protractor. I hope to find my limitations as a navigator and improve upon them.

I have finally broken in a pair of issue boots to the point where they are incredibly comfortable. I love these boots. Now I hear that SFAS has dropped all requirements on boots other than meeting AR 670-1, so I'm about to buy a second pair of boots to break in as soon as I decide which hi-fallutin' make and model to get.

I have two and a half months to continue my improvement. Any advice from y'all is very welcome. Thank you in advance.

mud slinger
06-21-2012, 20:33
Gunny, make sure that the boots you bring to SFAS have room for swollen feet. I brought two pairs and one I could not wear because my feet were to swollen, same goes with your running shoes. :D

Trycycle
06-22-2012, 10:30

37 this week.

Tom57
06-22-2012, 19:26
How many miles a week of running is sufficient to prepare for SFAS? I typically only run about 15 miles a week, no more than 5 miles at once. I prefer to keep my cardio up through crossfit, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai and swimming. I can out sprint and out endure many other local Army and Marine Corps hopefuls who run a great deal more than I do. Should I be running more or will that be sufficient? I love sprinting and hiking, but I HATE endurance running. Any advice would be appreciated.

blue02hd
06-22-2012, 19:29
Are you serious? How far would you like your Team Sergeant and Team Leader to run a week?

Tom57
06-22-2012, 19:41
I see. I had been under the understanding that Special Forces was more about explosive power like power lifting, crossfit, and MMA style training, but you have been there and done that and I haven't. I will adjust my training.

blue02hd
06-22-2012, 20:14
Tom, give it your best at all times. You expect that from your Team right? There are no metrics. There is no finish line. And if your lucky, you'll have years of SF exp to hand back, but you will never have a scale to grade those years by.

Is it enough for you?

Sarski
06-23-2012, 01:40
I see. I had been under the understanding that Special Forces was more about explosive power like power lifting, crossfit, and MMA style training, but you have been there and done that and I haven't. I will adjust my training.

Tom, give it your best at all times. You expect that from your Team right? There are no metrics. There is no finish line. And if your lucky, you'll have years of SF exp to hand back, but you will never have a scale to grade those years by.

Is it enough for you?
I have never been where you gents are (to some degree, ) so please forgive me. It is not about explosive power...it is about controlled power over duration, hence the heavy emphasis on endurance (I've seen those gates:D). Once you are there, it is easy to go back and surpass the basic expectations.

Hope this is beneficial!

conductingCHAOS
06-25-2012, 22:02
Posted Deleted.

nikolibolkolf
07-14-2012, 08:43
I alternate running, ruck marching, and swimming days based upon the weather and how my body feels. I work in off days whenever they are necessary. Currently, I try to run between 5-10 miles while keeping around a 7 minute/mile pace. Sprint running is covered nearly every week at Future Soldier training. I ruck with a 45 pound ALICE pack for 3-5 miles. I just recently started rucking, so I am trying to ease into it. I don't ship to basic until October, so I see no sense in rushing anything and getting injured. I swim until I am sufficiently tired. Then I swim some more (as recommended by a QP on these forums!).

For strength training, I do pushups, situps, pullups, squats, military press :lifter, and dips. I sometimes do other exercises, but these are my main exercises. I try to match strength training days with either running, swimming, or off days, I believe I read a recommendation on these forums not to do strength training on rucking days.

I try to eat a balanced diet. I stay away from supplements, alcohol, and sleeping in late (I work from 0600-1500 and have lost the ability to sleep in past 0500 or 0600). Currently, I am 5'7" and 140lbs.

Last hard class
07-14-2012, 12:33
Currently, I am 5'7" and 140lbs.

Piece of advice:
Try not to fall asleep with your rucksack on. It may weigh as much as you. A guy your size doing the upside down turtle might find it difficult getting back up.

And yes, I am speaking from experience.:D

Good luck.

LHC

Sonofagunny
07-18-2012, 16:52
I finally got the word that I will definitely be attending SFAS September 1st. I am very, very excited about it! I have been preparing myself physically and psychologically and am feeling very good about my chances of being positively assessed and selected.

Now, it's pushups and situps galore. I have proved to myself that I can ruck like a demon, can run plenty fast enough... but my perfect pushup (exaggerated all the way down and up) is not maxing, and my situps are a little light too. I will continue my current training regimen with the local SF recruiters and add 200 pushups, 200 situps, and a few dozen pullups to my list of daily chores.

DAMN, I'm excited about this important opportunity!

mud slinger
09-29-2012, 20:33
How many miles a week of running is sufficient to prepare for SFAS? I typically only run about 15 miles a week, no more than 5 miles at once. I prefer to keep my cardio up through crossfit, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai and swimming. I can out sprint and out endure many other local Army and Marine Corps hopefuls who run a great deal more than I do. Should I be running more or will that be sufficient? I love sprinting and hiking, but I HATE endurance running. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it depends. I've posted amount of miles on here before and was judged on on the amount of miles I was running. If you are a good runner and never had problems with it than I believe you can get away with doing 20-25 miles a week. If you suck at running than it's obvious you need to run more. I personally believe if you can not run 1300 or faster you suck and need to pick it up.

The Reaper
09-30-2012, 09:40
The SWCS / Recruiting Command website already tells you guys what the required runs and times will be, and provide you with a recommended workout routine.

There are videos with the professional sports conditioning personnel we have (THOR3, IIRC) that will recommend workouts and exercises.

If you have not reviewed this materiel, I highly suggest it.

The links are stickied already.

TR

David P
10-26-2012, 22:15
I haven't read through every post so may have missed something regarding this. Was wondering what advice is concerning walking in and out of water for hours on end. I have always used Desitin when I know that my feet are going to be wet all day. Everything I have read on foot care talks about being faithful changing socks, but if walking in and out of water for about 5 days, that isn't practical. Any thoughts avoiding foot rot in the jungle?

GISE
10-28-2012, 16:21
I utilize the SFAS prep guide and other exercise routines from stew smith. Granted I know he's a seal but he does have some interesting articles that I use such as to go beyond the 15 pullup mark to 20+. Generally my schedule goes like this...

monday - run 3 miles @ 7 mile pace followed by 2 slow miles afterwords for the fat burn.

tuesday - pyramid pt consisting of pullups, pushups, bar dips, and double crunches, going from 1-7 and back down. Multiply that number by 2 and 3 for the pu and double crunch. My second workout is a ruck which right now I'm at a 55lb load and up to 10 miles for feet conditioning.

wednesday - swimming laps, I go free style one way and breast stroke back for 20 laps

thursday - hit 100 pullups in the fewest sets possible, super set into 50 pushups and 50 reps of an ab exercise to which I switch up.

friday - run 1 mile, 25 squats, 20 lunges, 25 calf raises, rinse and repeat for 3-4 times, to increase leg strength for rucking.

saturday - ruck in the morning with the same distance I did on tuesday except I work on lengthening stride and pace. Evening workout is a simple 10 sets of 10 pullups, 30 pushups, and 50 reps of an ab exercise.

I've also been spending more time stretching before and after the workouts to aid in recovery, flexibility, and basic injury prevention. On the days I ruck, I do a at home ice bath, sitting in a tub, waist deep, for 5 minutes. Really gets the inflammation out of the legs.

Nutrition : About a gallon to gallon half of water a day. Lot of bananas, pineapple slices from costco and oranges (I have braces so apples are a pain). I cut my starch eating after 7 pm since my body doesnt need them. Lot of egg whites, chicken breast, tuna, salads, broccoli and bokchoy. Generally I cook a korean dish on saturday after training for some comfort food. I've done the math and I consume about 220 g of protein, 300 g of carb, and like 50 g of fat, the calorie range is like 2400-3000. I pretty much avoid eating out since I have no control over what I'm putting in.

I'm 6'0, 215-217 usually. Oh on the days I do MSE, I throw in some sets of military presses at a light weight for high reps, (80 lbs for 25 reps). And some shrugs for neck and trap strength. I've been doing this for about 2 months now, no injuries, almost maxxed my pt test, and overall general health is good.

Dusty
10-28-2012, 16:52
Times have definitely changed. I used to just put 2 ea. 25 lb. York weight plates in my ruck and run 'til I puked, then walk back. Finally I got to where I never puked.

You have to use York plates, though...

Pizza6
10-29-2012, 11:03
I walk about a mile and a half to and from classes and another half mile or so from class to class. I make sure to have at least 40 pounds in my bag everyday. Is this an ok thing to do with the rest of my training? Or would it be over training?

The Reaper
10-29-2012, 19:07
I walk about a mile and a half to and from classes and another half mile or so from class to class. I make sure to have at least 40 pounds in my bag everyday. Is this an ok thing to do with the rest of my training? Or would it be over training?

Search and read.

Then do more PT.

TR

Clockwork
10-29-2012, 23:34
I run 4 to 6 miles, 4 times a week keeping an 8 min. mile pace. I'm shooting to maintain a 7 min. flat pace.
I ruck 2 times a week with 50 lbs for 6 to 9 miles across hilly terrain moving as fast as I can sustain.
I weight train 3 times a week and do pushups and situps all throughout the day 7 days a week.
I use the climbing wall at the gym 1 day a week.
I incorporate one more cardio exercise a week other than running (ie. swimming, basketball, cycling, or football).
I also hold a full time job where I'm on my feet all day to work on never taking a break as I know SFAS won't let me.
To mentally prepare I've read Get Selected, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Inside the Green Berets, On Killing, The Art of War, and Man's Search for Meaning. I'm starting The Strenuous Life by Teddy Roosevelt today.
If any QP's have any advice or critiques I would appreciate it.

mud slinger
10-30-2012, 09:25
I'm not a QP...yet :D but I believe any advice can be good advice. Your workout plan is some what like the one I was doing and I had no problems in SFAS, if I were you I'm not sure I would be playing Basketball or Football before going to SFAS just because of the risk of injury.

blue02hd
10-30-2012, 11:33
I'm not a QP...yet :D but I believe any advice can be good advice. Your workout plan is some what like the one I was doing and I had no problems in SFAS, if I were you I'm not sure I would be playing Basketball or Football before going to SFAS just because of the risk of injury.

Mudslinger, normally advice from non QP'S in this forum is frowned upon, but you made an excellent suggestion concerning sports and the risk to injury. Now hurry up and Graduate so us old flucks can't give you hell about offering advice without your Tab.

:lifter:lifter

Clockwork
10-30-2012, 22:49
I'll definitely take that advice seeing how you got through SFAS. I will cycle or swim instead of play sports. Thank you mudslinger and blue02.

Viritual
11-06-2012, 18:51
I just got done with a 488 mile hike that took 31 days to complete, each day I did push ups and sit ups using the weight of my pack as resistance. In that time I also had the unfortunate opportunity to apply my knowledge of the art of foot repair and up keep. Currently I'm just upping the speeds of my rucks as best as possible. To maintain body strength I swim and do upper body lifts in a HIIT type program and other days I do circuit training on a local hiking trail between sprints and farmer carries to work on grip and leg strength.

I have been reading Phantom Warriors by Gary A. Linderer and various other books to maintain focus and get a idea on what real mental endurance means.

SonOfLiberty
11-26-2012, 16:18
Currently using the Military Athlete APFT program to get a higher score. In about a month I will start the MA ruck-based program, which will take me all the way until I ship out. Before these I was just lifting heavy to build a good foundation and running 2-3 times a week.

The APFT program is pretty awesome. I've already gained 20 reps in my pushups, and about the same in my sit ups. My best 2 mi so far is 13:15. I'm still not where I want to be yet, but I'm pretty confidant I'll be making head way by the time I leave on Feb 20.

I'm rucking 1-2 times a week. Normally a quick ruck (3-5 mi) on Monday, and then a longer ruck (8-12 mi) later on in the week. I've never gotten a blister in my entire life. Not hiking, not in Brasil where the only mode of transportation was my feet - but I'm still working on conditioning my feet. I'm eating 5-6 clean meals a day. My sleep is a work in progress, because I'm trying to cram so much into one day. It's still not perfect, and there's a TON of room for improvement, but I'm getting there.

mud slinger
11-30-2012, 19:06
Work your lower back out since you will be depending on it for a lot. :lifter

SonOfLiberty
12-04-2012, 23:31
Guys, I don't know if this topic has come up before. A search yielded nothing. I figured I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone ever feel like they could always be doing more? I always do my best and leave it all out on the field, trail, gym, but at the end of the day feel like I need to do more. I don't want to over train, but I want to make sure that I'm doing everything that I can to prepare myself. I know it'll be a kick in the nuts either way, but I feel like I can lessen the pain in part by sweating now.

I realize this is opening Pandora's box and I could get smoke checked for bringing this up, but it's learning, albeit hard learning, and I accept it.

I thank you all for your time and dedication to this forum.

Mate

The Reaper
12-05-2012, 19:45
Guys, I don't know if this topic has come up before. A search yielded nothing. I figured I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone ever feel like they could always be doing more? I always do my best and leave it all out on the field, trail, gym, but at the end of the day feel like I need to do more. I don't want to over train, but I want to make sure that I'm doing everything that I can to prepare myself. I know it'll be a kick in the nuts either way, but I feel like I can lessen the pain in part by sweating now.

I realize this is opening Pandora's box and I could get smoke checked for bringing this up, but it's learning, albeit hard learning, and I accept it.

I thank you all for your time and dedication to this forum.

Mate

Assuming that you really are preparing as well as you can, I think that is the attitude you should have, until you arrive.

Then you should be comfortable that you have done everything you possibly could to prepare yourself, and rely upon your training to sustain you.

Too late to worry about it, at that point, and you should focus on completing each task you are given to the best of your abilities.

Good luck.

TR