PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS?

MVP
07-26-2010, 12:51
Gents,

Anyone have recent experience with the Walther PPS? A friend of mine in Germany had an early one with the light grey receiver. It had feeding problems that never were resolved. I have heard the later black pistols are good to go. I have been considering one as a back-up to the projected 75 Thor, anyone have first hand knowledge of recent production PPS pistols?

MVP

JJ_BPK
07-26-2010, 13:31
Gents,

Anyone have recent experience with the Walther PPS?

anyone have first hand knowledge of recent production PPS pistols?

MVP

As it is now a S&W product,, the S&W forums have a bunch to say, I did a quick search,, here is the list.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/search.php?searchid=264958

Note sure if the link will work for a non-member, but you may as well join. It's a great source for all things s&W..

Good Luck..

:D

wch84
07-27-2010, 12:45
I picked one up recently. I can't give a thorough report as of yet. I had some FTE's at first. I was being lax with my form and limp wristing. Tightening things up fixed that problem. I plan to put it through some hard range time soon and will report back.

I will say, definitely look around and don't buy the first one you find. I overpaid. Lesson learned.

wch84
07-27-2010, 12:48
MVP, this thread from the PPS forum is a good read.

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=799

wch84
09-02-2010, 00:21
MVP, I've now got a few hundred rounds through the gun and wanted to give you an update.

The PPS is effortless to carry. I'm a small guy and I can hide the PPS easily in a good holster (Minotaur MTAC). I've had zero problems with the gun after I did the following:

First, using a Dremel with a felt polishing wheel, I gently polished the cartridge feeding ramp on the underside of the slide. I used either Meguiars or Mothers metal polish - can't remember at the moment which brand it was. The polish was blue in color. Any metal polish should work as long as it's not very abrasive. It took about 5 minutes to polish the ramp to a light shine.

Secondly, I applied the same polish to the slide rails in the frame and racked the slide approximately 75-100 times. Once I cleaned off the polish, the slide rails had very light wear - basically resembling my other pistols that have lots of rounds through them.

The gun still locks up very tight on the rails and is much more accurate than I can shoot. The slide is noticeably smoother in movement after the polish application. I was having trouble with FTE's and the slide not going into battery when I initially acquired the PPS. Those problems are gone and the pistol has fed and fired both cheap plinking ammo and my carry ammo flawlessly.