PDA

View Full Version : Debated about asking this...

ghuinness
08-08-2004, 20:46
I asked NDD and explained why and he said ok.

http://www.das.psu.edu/user/equine/newsletter/fullStory.cfm?newsID=37

I was searching through vet journals for a specific reason. Attached is one of the articles I reviewed.

Is anthrax naturally occurring and, like it says, can live dormant for decades in pastures etc? How prevalant is this spore that we hear so much about?

thanks

2VP
08-08-2004, 22:50
I have heard that does exist naturally in nature but has a different composition then the man made stuff. This came about during the anthrax attacks on random people in the States a few years back.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/Anthrax.html

Anthrax

Anthrax is primarily a disease of domesticated and wild animals, particularly herbivorous animals, such as cattle, sheep, horses, mules, and goats. Humans become infected incidentally when brought into contact with diseased animals, which includes their flesh, bones, hides, hair and excrement.

The natural history of Bacillus anthracis is obscure. Although the spores have been found naturally in soil samples from around the world, the organisms cannot be regularly cultivated from soils where there is an absence of endemic anthrax. In the United States there are recognized areas of infection in South Dakota, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and California; small areas exist in other states. Even in endemic areas, anthrax occurs irregularly, often with many years between occurrences.

In humans, anthrax is fairly rare; the risk of infection is about 1/100,000. The most common form of the disease in humans is cutaneous anthrax, which is usually acquired via injured skin or mucous membranes. A minor scratch or abrasion, usually on an exposed area of the face or neck or arms, is inoculated by spores from the soil or a contaminated animal or carcass. The spores germinate, vegetative cells multiply, and a characteristic gelatinous edema develops at the site. This develops into papule within 12-36 hours after infection. The papule changes rapidly to a vesicle, then a pustule (malignant pustule), and finally into a necrotic ulcer from which infection may disseminate, giving rise to septicemia. Lymphatic swelling also occurs within seven days. In severe cases, where the blood stream is eventually invaded, the disease is frequently fatal.

Another form of the disease, inhalation anthrax (woolsorters' disease), results most commonly from inhalation of spore-containing dust where animal hair or hides are being handled. The disease begins abruptly with high fever and chest pain. It progresses rapidly to a systemic hemorrhagic pathology and is often fatal if treatment cannot stop the invasive aspect of the infection.

Gastrointestinal anthrax is analogous to cutaneous anthrax but occurs on the intestinal mucosa. As in cutaneous anthrax, the organisms probably invade the mucosa through a preexisting lesion. The bacteria spread from the mucosal lesion to the lymphatic system. Intestinal anthrax results from the ingestion of poorly cooked meat from infected animals. Intestinal anthrax, although extremely rare in developed countries, has an extremely high mortality rate.

Meningitis due to B. anthracis is a very rare complication that may result from a primary infection elsewhere.

Sacamuelas
08-09-2004, 15:57
Originally posted by ghuinness

Is anthrax naturally occurring and, like it says, can live dormant for decades in pastures etc? How prevalant is this spore that we hear so much about?

thanks

It is naturallly occurring and can survive dormancy in the soil,etc for that long.

According to the CDC, there was only One case diagnosed in the US from 1992-1999 that was of "natural" origins.

It is more prevalent in the other countries animal stocks. I would say if you want good info then
Click Me (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/anthrax/index.asp) :cool:

ghuinness
08-09-2004, 19:45
Thanks guys !

pulque
08-11-2004, 11:08
DoD news release:

The Departments of Defense (DoD) and Health and Human Services (DHHS) today announced that the military will support a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) effort to create a new medication against anthrax. This new medication, anthrax immune globulin (AIG), is an antibody-based medication and could become a critical medical countermeasure for the nation in case of an anthrax attack.

Anthrax-vaccinated military personnel at Army installations will be invited to donate some of their blood plasma to support this effort to create and evaluate AIG.