PDA

View Full Version : Low internet connectivity

Rumblyguts
07-14-2010, 12:25
Hello,

Posting a question here as a last resort. We have very intermitant internet service over the past couple months. Sometimes it is lightning fast; other times a homepage won't open. This occurs on two seperate machines from two manufacturers, at sepreate times, and one machine is brand new. I can't identify a "trigger" or pattern to the poor service. OS's are XP and 7.

Steps taken to diagnose and fix problems:

1) Called ISP, went through their flow charts with an agent. Cabled into the modem (taking router out), got a ping, and the ISP said that their modem was working correctly. However, the internet rate was still extrememly slow. They told me to call the computer company.

2) Called the computer company, went through their steps of trying to get rid of me, reset the router, did a hardwire to the modem, etc....no dice. Told me to call the ISP or wipe the drive LOL

3) Went to local coffee shop, had lightning speed internet, so it's local to our house.

4) Switched-out ethernet cable from modem to router (and thus the computer), and it worked great.

5) Well, it worked well for a while, back to intermitant internet.

6) Virus scan etc. all come up clean.

7) Exchanging modem today to see if that will help

Other: When an ISP pings their modem or checks connectivity, can they check the output rate to my computer? Can they check, besides my doing a ping, that the modem is connecting to my computer?

Looking for other ideas to try, any suggestions?

Thanks, Rumbly

Maytime
07-14-2010, 12:48
Hi Rumbly,

Do you have cable, DSL, etc? I used to be an ISP tech support guy, and one thing you need to pinpoint is where the hiccups are happening from a) your computer to your router b) router to modem or c) modem to ISP. One way to test this is to use the "tracert" command, short for Trace Route. First, you need to open a command prompt; hold the windows button and press R, type cmd, hit enter. A black window should pop up. Now we need to find a DNS server to point to. We can find this by typing "ipconfig /all" (no quotes), and scrolling down to DNS servers, make note of one. On a new line, type "tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where the x's is the IP address of the DNS server. When you hit enter, it will trace the route to that server, going through your router, modem, and whatever infrastructure your ISP has set up. You will be able to see the speeds at which it takes to get through each hop.

I have to go now but at least it is something to try.

Regards

p.s. Note the time of day that the hiccups are occurring, and look for patterns. It could just be a high traffic time.

Edit to add: With regards to your ISP ping question, their ability to run connectivity tests remotely depends on how fancy their monitoring systems are. Older cable modem monitoring programs are generally DOS or Unix shells that only give information about the state of the modem. Newer programs have the ability to run a wide array of tests to examine bandwidth, ping statistics, etc.

Also, although you may be "connected" to the Internet, there may be an issue with how the network is resolving domains into IP addresses, which would look like you couldn't point to google.com or other common sites. One way to check to see if you have a DNS (Domain Name System) problem, is to go back to a command prompt like before, and type "nslookup www.google.com" again without quotes. This will see if the domain google can be resolved to its assigned IP address. If it can't, then you can call your ISP and go from there, since there isn't a whole lot you can do on your end.

CommoNCO
07-14-2010, 14:44
Are you broadcasting a wireless signal? Not sure what type of modem you're using, but if it has the capability of being wireless, perhaps you have a neighbor using a bit of your bandwidth....

Rumblyguts
07-14-2010, 21:35
Update:
Got a new cable modem from the ISP, and it appears to be working fine. Looks like this issue may be solved.:lifter but I'm not calling it solved until a good week's worth of using it.:munchin

HOWEVER

After the modem switch, the elderly computer will log on via wireless for roughly one minute, then disconnect. Reconnecting (manual or auto) only occurs after restarting the computer. :boohoo

Haven't tried hardwiring the old computer to the modem yet due to the sleeping child the modem's room. Was able to check local, mask and router ISP's on both computers and they look correct with the new modem.

CommoNCO: We're on a secure wireless router. Neighbors are reliable; street is deserted.

Maytime: Cable modem. Thanks for tracrt command and DNS info; that should come in handy. Hoping not to use it ;)

ISP will be contacted tomorrow, and I'll post more questions or the solution tomorrow

Thanks,
Rumbly

Rumblyguts
07-16-2010, 20:08
The modem switch worked; the internet has been working fine on the new computer.

Unfortunatly, I think the old computer's network card is kaput (works for a minute, then kicks off).

Thanks for the help.

Rumbly

SF_BHT
07-17-2010, 04:57
The modem switch worked; the internet has been working fine on the new computer.

Unfortunatly, I think the old computer's network card is kaput (works for a minute, then kicks off).

Thanks for the help.

Rumbly

Great..... Your other PC can be fixed if it is the network card for between $10-30 usd.

Draco771
08-15-2010, 23:54
If the issue on your internet has not been resolved, updating XP can be one of the issues. Older versions of XP are proned to connection problems.

If getting a new netcard hasn't worked, cheaper solution may be just updating software.

Thing is, I can go extremely detailed in describing trouble shooting methods for Windows XP (I've been required to learn everything about XP specifically from the User interface to the command lines, from different forms of files to operating system networks through XPs default servers etc.)

There are different command prompts from Internet usage, to the actual hardware it's synchronizing with.

Could even be something as simple as a synchronization issue between your router and the computer.

If what the QPs have mentioned hasn't solved the issue, do let me know.

There are at least a minimum of 49 different things that could be done to trouble shoot the issue. (that's just how complex and massive the user interface on MS XP is. It's truly a massive program, there is no stone unturned in it's creation)

The most difficult issue, would be if it was the hardware interfacing with XP.

Do you by chance know if you're running a 32 Bit, or a 64 Bit?

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 00:41
If you hardwired and still have shitty bandwidth, on multiple machines...check your machines and make sure you don't have some type of malware eating up bandwidth. If not, don't let your ISP fill your head with shit...computer/OS has basically nothing to do with connection speed. 10 Mb ethernet is 10 Mb ethernet. Your ISP is failing to live up to their promises of speedy connection and awesome throughput. Next time the agent tells you to "call your computer company," ask to speak to tier II, tier III, and so on. Those guys have no effing clue what they are talking about...most have a high school education, and the only thing they have to do to get the job is pass a 20 question proficiency test a 10 year old would ace (what is TCP/IP, what is Cat V, shit like that.)

Might be worth hard-resetting your cable modem, but who knows? You aren't, by any chance, with Time Warner, are you?

Rumblyguts
08-16-2010, 08:41
Here's where I'm at:

The new computer is still humming along.

The old computer's internet is still crashing after roughly a minute.

SF_BHT: my understanding is that on laptops, the card is integrated into the motherboard. Thus to fix it would require a new motherboard. If that's the case, we'll pass.

Draco: old computer is 32 bit XP sp2(? I'm not near it to check.)

IrishSquid: Computers were/are both clean, and I'm with Charter. Understood about some support competancies.

Right now we are happy with what he have - just means that my wife and I need to share :eek:

Thanks for the help folks

Rumbly

DJ Urbanovsky
08-16-2010, 10:30
So the computer you're having issues with is a laptop, and you're running it wireless, yeah? If it's wireless, how far from the router are you? Any walls/structure in between?

Define "crashing." After a minute, it's just dead and you need to reboot, or do pages load, albeit slowly?

Rumblyguts
08-16-2010, 10:48
So the computer you're having issues with is a laptop, and you're running it wireless, yeah? If it's wireless, how far from the router are you? Any walls/structure in between?

Define "crashing." After a minute, it's just dead and you need to reboot, or do pages load, albeit slowly?

There is one bdroom wall (wood and sheetrock) and aprox 25' space between computer and router, wireless. I don't think that is the problem, since those weren't an issue for the previous 3 years.

Crashing = the old computer essentially disconnects from the internet after one minute and doesn't not reconnect, nor can one manually reconnect it. It will usually reconnect after a restart.

Draco771
08-16-2010, 12:17
In a lot of way,s the OS has a lot to do with the internet.

The OS is responsible for maintaining harmony.

The OS is in charge of the hardware components of the computer, the monitor, printer, keyboard, even the modem. It's responsible for making sure all hardware/software is operating properly.

everything you computer does, it goes through the OS.

32 bit, and 64 bit are HUGE differences from each other if you understand what it means.

Now, regarding your connection stuff, have you replaced the netcard yet?

If not, try that first, and then we'll do some troubleshooting.

The thing is, youre internet speed has nothing at all to do with it, it's the interface between the modem/router/computer. If the Netcard has been replaced, then it's the synchronization, or a compatibility issue (older modem/router?) between hardware/software.

Irishsquid
08-16-2010, 14:23
You CAN still replace the NIC (network card) in a laptop...forget about the internal NIC, and just get a USB wireless card...that's your easiest and cheapest option. Other than that, MOST laptops do not have a Wireless NIC integrated into the motherboard. One of the removable panels on the bottom of the laptop should cover a small card, roughly 1.5-2 inches long, 1-1.5 inches wide, with one side inserted into a "slot," and the other side hooked to 2 wires. It may/will have an intel or other logo on it, depending on the brand of wireless adapter. It should be attached using 1-3 screws, and is easily replaced. Shouldn't be tough, but a USB adapter is still easier.

As for the network "crashing," after a few minutes, I understand it won't connect to webpages...does it still "say," it is connected? Either way, if it is working for a minute, then stopping, and you have good signal strength, and no obstructions, then I retract my previous statement about the OS having little to do with it.

Anymore information you give cannot do anything but help us help you. The more information I have, the more accurate my picture of the situation is, and the better I can troubleshoot.

Draco771
08-16-2010, 15:05
As for the network "crashing," after a few minutes, I understand it won't connect to webpages...does it still "say," it is connected? Either way, if it is working for a minute, then stopping, and you have good signal strength, and no obstructions, then I retract my previous statement about the OS having little to do with it.

Anymore information you give cannot do anything but help us help you. The more information I have, the more accurate my picture of the situation is, and the better I can troubleshoot.

That's why I asked if the Netcard has been replaced yet.

If the Netcard is totally fine and dandy, then it's a software issue, and not particularly hardware.

And regarding your callcenter comments, you are correct. majority of help desk personel etc. don't even have CompTIA A+/ETA-I CST.

I know this, because several friends from HS are working as help desk clerks, and barely know how to install a video game following onscreen directions. They even take apart people's computers they bring in, without a clue of what they are looking at. As long as they have a paper of descriptions on what parts of the computers look like. :eek:

Rumblyguts
08-19-2010, 20:10
Looked into a NIC, and refurbs were $35+shipping.

Purchased a wireless USB for $35 that seems to be doing the trick. Dint know that thar technology existed until it was mentioned here.

Thanks for the help folks,

Rumbly