PDA

View Full Version : John Horrigan Award

Bill Harsey
07-09-2010, 07:37
At Blade Show each year are also the Custom knife makers awards.

John Horrigan won the award for "Best Bowie"!

Well done John! Any chance we could see a pic here?
Having had the chance to see and handle John's bowies over the years, this award is very well deserved.

Here is John's website: www.eliteknives.com

also noted, John sent me pics of the fishing he did right after Blade Show this June in Atlanta but didn't mention anything about an award. I had to find this out doing homework on something else.

x SF med
07-09-2010, 20:58
Funny, John's out of stock on everything since Blade Show, imagine that....

He makes some nice stuff.

Debo
07-09-2010, 22:23
I saw that bowie in several stages of construction. It is a pretty amazing knife. Stainless over carbon laminate of some kind. I can't begin to understand the process when he explains it to me. He emailed me some pics a few months ago, let me see if I can find them.

D.

Debo
07-09-2010, 22:33
Enjoy.

D.

Bill Harsey
07-10-2010, 00:17
Debo,
Thanks!

footnote to this knife, John does 100% of all work himself.

un-frickin' believable. :eek:

JJ_BPK
07-10-2010, 06:13
Enjoy.

D.

That's not a knife,,

It's a piece of ART..

My $00.0002,, while jealously drooling in the corner.. :D:D

PS: I love the EDC sheath vs the DRESS sheath.. :lifter:lifter

The Reaper
07-10-2010, 09:22
John is an artist, isn't he.

Bob was a special individual too.

RIP, hermano.

Best of luck John and congrats on the award.

TR

greenberetTFS
07-10-2010, 14:21
Great Pics Debo appreciate your effort...............;)

Big Teddy :munchin

jhorrigan
07-10-2010, 15:40
Thank you Bill. I guess I'm like everybody else out there, awards never meant much to me. Having Good Friends and Cold Beer means more. Besides Bill, have you seen those cheesy looking awards. Thanks to all the guys that called me or emailed me on the 17th. It meant alot to hear from each of you.

John 15:13
Isiaih 6:8

In soft regions are born soft men.

The Reaper
07-10-2010, 16:14
Thank you Bill. I guess I'm like everybody else out there, awards never meant much to me. Having Good Friends and Cold Beer means more. Besides Bill, have you seen those cheesy looking awards. Thanks to all the guys that called me or emailed me on the 17th. It meant alot to hear from each of you.

Isiaih 6:8

In soft regions are born soft men.

John:

You get to Bragg, there is always cold beer here, waiting for you.

Got plenty of room to crash as well, for the brother of a brother.

TR

orion5
07-11-2010, 22:11
un-frickin' believable. :eek:

When I was reviewing the Blade Show pics it seemed 20-30% were just garish and tacky - way too overdone. I know, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and each to his own.

John's designs have a pleasing amount of detail and are done with high quality. It's interesting, the more you look, the more the eye sees. Very classy.

Congratulations on your award.

orion5

(And I'm a little partial to Austin people. ;) )

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-12-2010, 12:21
WOW... Truly unbelievable.
John.. I wonder if I could bother you to post a brief explanation of that laminte process?
Congratulations!

jhorrigan
07-19-2010, 12:37
Sorry I have been away from the Computer for the last week. I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Took the skid steer that I borrowed from a friend of mine, over to the older neighbors house to get rid of some stumps and tree's that had passed on. I was almost finished when I hit the wrong tree the wrong way and broke the ram on the hydraulic cylinder, bent the barrel so I had to buy a new one at 700.00 No good deed goes unpunished. As for the lament. The outer steel is 416 and the inner core is 1095 that has been forge welded together. Stainless does not want to weld to anything, so you need a closed atmosphere. The handle is Fossilizied Walrus 24 karat gold leafs and vine. Knife was 16 3/8 Overall.

Force has no place where there's a need for skill.

LongWire
07-19-2010, 13:38
Well, those sure are some nice instruments that you craft Sir. Well Done/Deserved!!!

Bill Harsey
07-19-2010, 15:35
Sorry I have been away from the Computer for the last week. I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Took the skid steer that I borrowed from a friend of mine, over to the older neighbors house to get rid of some stumps and tree's that had passed on. I was almost finished when I hit the wrong tree the wrong way and broke the ram on the hydraulic cylinder, bent the barrel so I had to buy a new one at 700.00 No good deed goes unpunished. As for the lament. The outer steel is 416 and the inner core is 1095 that has been forge welded together. Stainless does not want to weld to anything, so you need a closed atmosphere. The handle is Fossilizied Walrus 24 karat gold leafs and vine. Knife was 16 3/8 Overall.

Force has no place where there's a need for skill.

John,
Thanks for the explanation, I knew that was not an easy weld for the steel billet.

also, you want me to put the old mans D-7 Cat on a lowboy and start driving for your place? :D